Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The true reason why DE won't fix Lich RNG

ixidron92

It's simple: Money.

The Lich system is probably their new iteration of Rivens - A new moneymaking scheme, and they are testing the mechanics and our responses.

They are gonna make Liches contracts tradeable as they said. So, once the trading begins and the platinum flows, can you imagine what's next?

Imagine how much platinum a lich contract with a perfect 60% roll would cost.  Imagine how much an ephemera contract would cost. They've just made tradeable cosmetics a thing!

Now imagine the new additions down the road: New weapons. New elemental combinations. New stat boosts like critical chance or critical damage. The system will basically become Rivenized weapons (and not just weapons, but reskinned existing ones. All the benefits of new content with 0 effort) plus cosmetics as a bonus. It's just ephemeras now, but soon it could be armor pieces and syandanas as well.

How long before Liches can drop a Kuva Ignis with bonus slash/viral combo and critical+status chance? How much do you think a perfect 60% damage bonus weapon with the right extra stats would cost? 1k platinum? 2k platinum? More? This is just another marketable feature to move platinum around, to make people invest money, time and resources.

RNG is just a way of creating artificial scarcity, much like the riven slot machines.

Time will tell if I'm right or if this is just a nutty conspiracy theory. Once Liches become tradeable, and the results are analyzed, we'll truly see what will happen.

Edited by ixidron92
  • Like 9

And that right there is why the free-to-play business model is cancer, because it encourages game designers to warp the gameplay mechanics in order to squeeze more money out of people. I do miss the good old days when games were simply designed to be as fun as possible.

Edited by SordidDreams
  • Like 5

vor 3 Minuten schrieb ixidron92:

Imagine how much platinum a lich contract with a perfect 60% roll would cost.  Imagine how much an ephemera contract would cost. They've just made tradeable cosmetics a thing!

Ehm... platinum will go from a player to another player... and as long the platinum stays in the ecosystem DE doesn't get anything out of it.

So yeah, nice try, will report for trolling.

• Like 12

I have always had to wonder just how many people DID actually buy platinum to get rivens with. It's one of those things we'll probably never be able to find out, since sales info will probably never be released. It's hard to track peoples motivations for purchases, either.

hace 1 minuto, Walkampf dijo:

Ehm... platinum will go from a player to another player... and as long the platinum stays in the ecosystem DE doesn't get anything out of it.

So yeah, nice try, will report for trolling.

Wut? Do you realize platinum doesn't generate spontaneously, right? Someone has to pay for it at some point.

• Like 6

This type of RNG I doubt it's about money. It's probably their attempt of keeping people interested in playing when it does the exact opposite. Imagine the internal idea pitch... "If we add 13 new weapons that takes 2+ hours each depending on luck to get and they get a duplicate, then they'll try over and over again." Almost like they're taking advantage of knowing people want MR28 or they know players are completionist so garbage RNG is their attempt to prolong it.

Edited by --Brandt--
  • Like 11

Justo ahora, Walkampf dijo:

And it doesn't go away either when trading to other players. So it doesn't generate any money for DE either.

Well, of course it does! That's like saying transactions between two private citizens don't benefit your country's economy. Someone at some point had to earn that money. It didn't manifest out of thin air.

• Like 6

We want perpetual long term content!

But we can finish it in a night if we want to.

But it must not be pvp.

Its not just cosmetic.

Not have any kind of RNG and we choose exactly what we want.

Is more powerful and rewarding every time.

Is free.

person GIF

Edited by Firetempest
  • Like 14

Just now, Walkampf said:

Try to learn to read.

Neither boosters nor deluxe skins are traded between players.

Try to be less toxic 🙂 

everything people buy from market is a platinum sink that does not come back into players accounts so it basically goes away.

• Like 2

vor 7 Minuten schrieb Walkampf:

And it doesn't go away either when trading to other players. So it doesn't generate any money for DE either.

Thats assuming that all the players who want to buy Kuva Weapons already have the plat to buy them.

There will surely be a portion of the playerbase who just makes the plat circulate but there will also be players who will buy plat to be able to purchase those and inject new plat into the economy.
Depending on demand and price DE will totally make money off of this.

I personally don't have an issue if DE uses the player economy to make money. Better than directly offering p2w options. It shouldn't however negatively impact the player experience too harshly, as that jsut degrades the game and makes it frustratign rather than engaging. Not sure where exactly we are with Kuva weapons yet, but it certainly could take some improvements.

It certainly also is a timesink sicne you have to convert the lich before buying and I would assume the buyer will have to re-hunt the Lich and can't have one active, so he needs to clear out his own, too.

Edited by Raikh
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ixidron92 said:

Now imagine the new additions down the road: New weapons. New elemental combinations. New stat boosts like critical chance or critical damage. The system will basically become Rivenized weapons (and not just weapons, but reskinned existing ones. All the benefits of new content with 0 effort) plus cosmetics as a bonus. It's just ephemeras now, but soon it'll be armor pieces and syandanas as well.

How long before Liches can drop a Kuva Ignis with bonus slash/viral combo and critical+status chance? How much do you think a perfect 60% damage bonus weapon with the right extra stats would cost? 1k platinum? 2k platinum? More? This is just another marketable feature to move platinum around, to make people invest money, time and resources.

RNG is just their way of creating artificial scarcity, much like the riven slot machines.

Time will tell if I'm right or if this is just a nutty conspiracy theory. Once Liches become tradeable, and they analyze the results, we'll truly see what will happen.

crazy idea but hear me out.

noone is forcing you to spend stupid amounts of money on a weapon.

You don't need max stats on kuva weapons for them to be good.

you can influence the elemental bonus you get on your kuva weapons by using specific frames if you want a specific bonus

again: noone is forcing you to spend stupid amounts of money on a kuva weapon

now go ahead and call me a white knight

• Like 3

hace 3 minutos, Pizzarugi dijo:

I got a better explanation: Staving off content drought.

Consider this: How often would you engage in fighting Liches if the game threw 60% kuva guns and ephemera at you more commonly to the point you now own them all?

Considering I just stopped trying to kill liches after my third one because I don't consider the rewards or the grind worth the time invested... a lot more. If I knew i would get a guaranteed 60% weapon instead of a random one, I would try to get them all, yet I already quit because I can't stand the grind nor the RNG.

Edited by ixidron92
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ixidron92 said:

Considering I just stopped trying to kill liches aftr my thrid one because I don't consider the rewards or the grind worth the time invested... a lot more. If I knew i would get a guaranteed 60% weapons instead of a random one I would try to get them all, yet I already quit because I can't stand the grind nor the RNG.

If the game gave you everything, you would be left with nothing to do. Considering how stupidly powerful players are, grind and RNG have become a necessary evil to mitigate your ability to zoom through game content, because DE will not nerf you.

Edited by Pizzarugi

hace 3 minutos, Helch0rn dijo:

crazy idea but hear me out.

noone is forcing you to spend stupid amounts of money on a weapon.

You don't need max stats on kuva weapons for them to be good.

you can influence the elemental bonus you get on your kuva weapons by using specific frames if you want a specific bonus

again: noone is forcing you to spend stupid amounts of money on a kuva weapon

now go ahead and call me a white knight

No one is forcing me, and I definitely won't of course. Never actually invested a single plat in the whole riven market, but other people will. I'm just merely stating the reason why DE is actually making this. I'm not complaining about it. It's an explanation, not a rant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Walkampf said:

I've only ever traded Rivens so I could buy more cosmetics and slots, and as far as I'm aware, that plat doesn't go back into the system. But my experience is from consoles market, where there doesn't seem to be alot of plat in circulation. Where PC has inflation, console has deflation.

However, if this system actually provided console users with an incentive to purchase more plat, then OP would be mildly correct. But a sudden increase in plat amongst a percentage of users (people who can easily grind out lichs) could end up creating another riven monopoly on the market.

1 minute ago, suchamess said:

Try to be less toxic 🙂 

everything people buy from market is a platinum sink that does not come back into players accounts so it basically goes away.

But there is still a lot of platinum circulating between the players that was paid for at some point, but won't generate any more money. If there was a lot of people who buy a lot of plat specifically to buy rivens, then that would make money, however, I doubt that anyone sane would do that. It is much easier and cheaper for the players to circulate existing currency.