Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is "Essential" at DE with current events?

I'm curious about how DE are coping with current events. We mere mortals are restricted to essential travel only at the moment so I'm wondering just what the DE staff are able to do or not do at the moment?

I'm guessing that new content is somewhat suspended as are any bug fixes? But then I'm guessing that a lot of this work can be done at home and sent to server remotely. 

Does an employee need to pop in from time to time to flip a physical switch off and on again?

I'm sure there's more but I don't really have a clue. 

What used to be a day in the life of a DE employee... and what would be a day in the life of a DE employee now? 

... are we even allowed to ask?

...... are we allowed to know??

Just wondering. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (XB1)Primus Patronum said:

... are we even allowed to ask?

...... are we allowed to know??

I'm sure you'd be able to find some interviews and devstream discussion of what their day had normally been. Do we get to ask about their work at home? Not nearly as much.

We can't and shouldn't know if one of them or a family member is unwell.. what they're technically capable or incapable of for now.. whether they got to take all the equipment they needed from work, or if there were complications.. If we knew that, we'd micromanage them.. if a competitor knew that, they'd have an advantage to exploit. Generally speaking, things are a bit more personal and complex for now.. but they're still streaming, updating, and posting in the forum when they can. We're not totally in the dark, and that's about all we can expect or ask within reason for now.

• Like 3

There must be a guy that always goes into the main facility and hits the "halt" button with a whole palm, so the stuff DE wants to release so bad is delayed by another day, yet it is so complete and so ready to play, but delayed once again, day by day, just because of that button, but it's absolute complete, bug free and playable. Yet halted, because of that one essential employee.

Edited by sitfesz

Everything digital can be accessed from home, and they can keep working in whatever software they usually use and upload their progress. Limitations are in hardware. They have said already that they can't or have limited access to equipment needed for recording dialogues, or motion capture, for example. Communication and organization is likely also lagging a bit. 

But working from a distance is not exactly uncommon in this business. I'm sure it's a big change for DE, but they are certainly not dealing with the impossible. 

3 hours ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

I would assume most of the staff would need to have their terminals at home and access the developer servers at all times, if I am being honest the only things they can't do are physical meetings.

Don't forget anything with sound recordings since they can't access that fancy new sound studio they just had built

2 hours ago, (XB1)The Neko Otaku said:

Don't forget anything with sound recordings since they can't access that fancy new sound studio they just had built

I have seen VA's procuring some good equipment and building very good sound booths at home so even that would be a stretch.

5 minutes ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

I would hope not just another "please give DE a break, they are a small indie company on the verge of bankruptcy, stop complaining", so far doesn't seem like it.

Just seems odd that a gamer posts in a forum of other gamers some questions regarding how DE works internally. I seriously doubt any of us can offer anything other than speculation and conjecture (though not for lack of trying on the part of some) 🤔

5 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

What is the motivation behind this topic? 🤔

Nothing cynical, just curiosity. I've never seen behind the scenes of a game company before and, well, just wondered how different it is currently. 

In have seen some of the devstreams and I remember seeing a stream that featured a sound engineer demonstrating railjack sounds. That looked like fun work! 

As for animation work, I don't know much about that. Did they have a martial arts expert wear a golf ball suit in front of a green-screen? 

I'm just imagining watching a scene with the Lotus struggling for her life while some screaming kids in the background play with pots and pans while someone shouting 'dinner's ready' ruins a stealth attempt.

Thanks for the responses guys!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, (XB1)Primus Patronum said:

Nothing cynical, just curiosity. I've never seen behind the scenes of a game company before and, well, just wondered how different it is currently. 

In have seen some of the devstreams and I remember seeing a stream that featured a sound engineer demonstrating railjack sounds. That looked like fun work! 

As for animation work, I don't know much about that. Did they have a martial arts expert wear a golf ball suit in front of a green-screen? 

I'm just imagining watching a scene with the Lotus struggling for her life while some screaming kids in the background play with pots and pans while someone shouting 'dinner's ready' ruins a stealth attempt.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I getcha 👍

well, ti does seem to be taking a while to get Scarlet Spear on consoles, but that could be a good thing, at least if they are reworking the event to be a bit more fair than it is on PC. it could also be that Deadlock protocol is a massive undertaking; if we get the tileset remaster, corpus Railjack missions AND corpus Liches - and maybe even Nightwave season 3 -  than that would be a MASSIVE update. there's probably a hell of a lot to work on at the moment, and I'm not sure whether they have access to all the Dev tools they need at home.

it may also be worth considering that some of them may or may not have family and friends in the "vulnerable" group - those most at risk of the Virus - and it may be up to them to look after their relatives during this difficult time. we don't have the full picture of what's going on in their lives, and they have the right to privacy. the updates will get here when they get here.

They do a lot of bug fixing on RJ. They have few people on "technical debt" for sure. I'm pretty confident on the fact that they work on future content as well, doviri's paradox has been anounced 9 monthes ago already.

So atm I'd say for game dev time:

- 1/4 of their workforce on current game issues: scarlet spear monitoring tech fixing(because it will probably reused for other railjack stuff later on different forms basically like a scarlet spear relay but you don't see you go in one) and that is why they improved logs on it,  railjack technical debt(tho last fixes were not bad ones like we had in the past, so they seem to have only non critical stuff left) and on the fly balance and polish as players do a lot of liches for example and lich tech is a very modular one as well

- 1/4 on next in the pipeline stuff like the new Nightwave

- 1/3 on future content (there is a lot of stuff on top of duviri's paradox and as always we will probably get surprised and it will probably be on the late side this time :/)

- rest on the future frames (community choice frame, but also the hinted one and also the primes that release every 3 monthes) as frames are a big source of income, the wow effects and hypes are platinum sinks.

I'm pretty sure they have several JIRA projects in line, Warframe had all the time in the world to setup production process don't worry. They must have a least 1 functionnal team, as much as I respect DE Rebecca it's not on her :D.

DE invests certainly a whole lot also on its engine and art assets I don't have the technical skill to advance thoughs on it but I seems pretty huge.

Edited by Galuf