Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Level grinding, should it be phased out?

TioMegaManX

I mean the subsequent level grinding for stuff that isn't Kuva weapons or Paracesis style, I have been thinking, what if forma no longer resets the level and only the aforementioned weapons would require further leveling up to reach full capacity? hell, what if potatoes where the ones when applied they began adding capacity with the extra levels and then you are free to use them as you please? or maybe just level them up once (as in, apply forma, get a single level up, rinse and repeat), maybe I am the only one who thinks it is boring to re-level weapons every time.

18 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Hmmm 🤔 I think we’d have to ask what problem the re-leveling is meant to solve. When it was implemented DE would assuredly have weighed re-leveling after applying a forma against not, and I wonder what problem the re-leveling aspect is a solution to.

The problem of me not wanting to play again.

22 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Hmmm 🤔 I think we’d have to ask what problem the re-leveling is meant to solve. When it was implemented DE would assuredly have weighed re-leveling after applying a forma against not, and I wonder what problem the re-leveling aspect is a solution to.

Releveling weapons/frames is a version of a time gate in the game. It serves no meaningful purpose within the context of the game. There is no new feature to be unlocked by adding a forma..."feature" does not mean being able to add specific mods...instead a "feature" in this case might be a new alt fire option for example.

3 minutes ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

The problem of me not wanting to play again.

This is the reason some nodes become the hot spot for "power leveling" frames and weapons. DE will nerf the node eventually because the usage numbers show it is unbalancing to the game. This is a problem of DE's own creation.

Making me re-level the same weapon five times then punish me for finding the fastest way to stop wasting my time on the mind numbing task? Good plan DE.

For myself, sometimes I will run a forma'd frame/weapon or three on missions like Mot where the chance of a longer run exists. Of course, going to Hydron works too but people have stopped going 20 waves (which would normally get an item to rank 30) so that becomes annoying. Going longer to get to rank 40 means running Hydron multiple times...because we all know Hydron is super challenging content that needs to be run over and over and over to get max rank on an item so I can go use that item on something I actually want to do...

• Like 3

Could the re-leveling also serve as additional incentive to continue experiencing earlier content? 🤔 If a player is solo, they’d need to use the underpowered weapon to level it, and out of necessity might need to engage with content outside of the level 100+ stuff.

Even outside of solo, when I play with friends, we’ll go through earlier content again ‘cause I hate feeling useless in a fight

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

1 hour ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Could the re-leveling also serve as additional incentive to continue experiencing earlier content? 🤔 If a player is solo, they’d need to use the underpowered weapon to level it, and out of necessity might need to engage with content outside of the level 100+ stuff.

Even outside of solo, when I play with friends, we’ll go through earlier content again ‘cause I hate feeling useless in a fight

While anything is possible...experiencing earlier content is a challenge for any game.

For me personally, no it is not an additional incentive. I have brought a forma'd frame with two forma'd weapons to Mot to level up...hoping to catch a pick up group that wants to run for a while so they can get Argon Crystals letting me level up the frame and weapons at the same time.

Everyone plays games at different levels. Some people struggle with certain types of missions. It is difficult for me to tell you to just take a forma'd frame and two of the three weapons forma'd and go run Mot (in a group or solo) because I don't know how you want to play the game.

In the end people will take the 'path of least resistance' to relevel the frame/weapons...be it older / lower level content or finding one of the meta nodes (Hydron) to do it quickly.

I don't see an issue with re leveling after forma *flexes MR 28 muscles*

But in a serious note it's more a time sink than a gate,

You aren't waiting, you need to actively use that time to level it. 

A time sink is to show player usage (like steam charts) while they are sinking. 

A time gate is to make sure you don't get everything quickly (like crafting time) so you keep coming back. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

But in a serious note it's more a time sink than a gate,

You aren't waiting, you need to actively use that time to level it. 

A time sink is to show player usage (like steam charts) while they are sinking. 

A time gate is to make sure you don't get everything quickly (like crafting time) so you keep coming back. 

Fair point...better term is time sink. I will try to use it where appropriate in the future. Appreciate the comment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (PS4)CrazyBeaTzu said:

Anything else you wanna get rid of because you dont wanna do it? Might as well list them all because I'm sure you're gonna have plenty of others issues with others grinds in the game. 

I just think re-leveling with each forma should be changed so you don't need to re-level that many times, as I said, it is even making me not want to play the game because the content I want to play has to wait until I am finished adding forma to bring new tools into the mix.

• Like 1

Many weapons need 3-5 formas to be truly effective; I think releveling should either require less affinity, or mastery rank could work with releveling differently. Instead of resetting weapon level to 0 it would reset level to your mastery rank.

There is a point when releveling weapons becomes a chore.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Genitive said:

Many weapons need 3-5 formas to be truly effective; I think releveling should either require less affinity, or mastery rank could work with releveling differently. Instead of resetting weapon level to 0 it would reset level to your mastery rank.

There is a point when releveling weapons becomes a chore.

Exactly, I just want my time spent on the game to have at least some meaning when it comes to getting new stuff.

15 minutes ago, (XB1)GmanM1 said:

But if you BOUGHT a booster, preferably by paying cash for the plat in PA then it all makes sense...

Not even with a booster, I have let event boosters and sortie boosters go waste because it is still a pain to level stuff.

Leveling weapons takes 2-5 minutes (with a booster), even if you put 5 formas into a weapon that's 10-25 minutes to increase the power of the given weapon.

You could also not stress out about rushing, because what difference does it make if you get it all done right away or not, when no content even requires that many formas. Weapons that require 5 forma to hit level 40 aren't even released often enough to be compelled to rush it either, unless you don't like the weapon. Weapons could just be leveled by playing normally rather than it be something you spend time specifically doing. If you were leveling kuva weapons, you could easily level them back up multiple times during the process of getting the next one, as an example.

The way DE designed the affinity distribution system needs a rework. Kills should grant 100% affinity to everything you equipped, not forcing you to use the weapon or frame you dislike to gain more affinity. 

Also Corpus and Infested should give more affinity to match the grineer. This will get rid of “lootcaves” in the starchart.

• Like 1

Leveling gear/frames is easy and pretty quick but there are issues in the way xp is distributed between weapons. It is even different whenever you are the host or not :D. It is like that since game release. It feels particulary bad on amp, archguns etc... Melee and exalted weapons xp gains are also broken. The xp factor is all over the place random S#&$. Ideally you want a system that makes you xp faster doing higher lvl content, I'm mr28 and strictly never played meta xp farm, when I really want affinity I always double dip one way or another.

Edited by Galuf

Forma used to be for bringing up weapons you liked up to par. With the introduction of Kuva weapons, I feel like I'm wasting Forma if I use them on anything else because other weapons don't give Mastery and Kuva weapons are generally top tier anyways. 

Melee weapons don't need forma to clear Sorties.

22 hours ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

I just think re-leveling with each forma should be changed so you don't need to re-level that many times, as I said, it is even making me not want to play the game because the content I want to play has to wait until I am finished adding forma to bring new tools into the mix.

Well....you don't actually "need" to..  😄

The re-levelling is there to balance the fact that once it's back to max it is stronger than before.....

In the end it is up to the player to choose if he wants to put in the work to improve said weapon...

Edited by MorradiX
typo? what typo?? o.O