Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sentinel Resurrection tied to a craftable expendable Gear item

(PSN)Lei-Lei_23

DE, we should discuss a longstanding issue regarding Sentinels: permadeath. If a Sentinel is destroyed in-mission due to certain unfortunate circumstances (AoE, explosions, etc.), we should have a means in spawning that Sentinel back in-mission again. Whether or not a Sentinel is equipped with [Primed]Regen, the risk of a Sentinel sustaining permadeath is an inevitable possibility (this is especially true in higher level enemy content / Steel Path).

I propose that under Corpus Dojo Research, there should be a craftable Gear item blueprint that allows the player to use this expendable Gear item to spawn in their destroyed Sentinel. The Corpus already do this with Ospreys, why can’t we with Sentinels? This is a sound resolution for a plaguing issue in bringing in a Sentinel to missions, and is not a means in imbuing Sentinels with “immortality” when mortality for Sentinels is always ever so fragile.

We can’t continue to default to Djinn as the only Sentinel that can revive itself via the “Reawaken” augment. And we can’t relegate this issue toward Companions overall and argue for complete Companion immortality. Tying Sentinel “resurrection” to a Gear item is an act of preparation for the mission that utilizes in-game resources to craft it, and it should be expendable just like Specters, replenishment pads, and Ciphers are.

Well, the only problem I see with this is a scenario where your sentinel dies, you use the consumable, and it dies 5 seconds later, so then you’ve basically wasted the consumable.

Personally, I’d rather they just give sentinels a respawn timer. They die, you can’t revive them, but they come back automatically in 2 minutes. Then there could be some mods that let you shorten the respawn time.

Just now, (PS4)sister-hawk said:

Well, the only problem I see with this is a scenario where your sentinel dies, you use the consumable, and it dies 5 seconds later, so then you’ve basically wasted the consumable.

Personally, I’d rather they just give sentinels a respawn timer. They die, you can’t revive them, but they come back automatically in 2 minutes. Then there could be some mods that let you shorten the respawn time.

We already have this scenario in game: Energy Leech Eximus and consuming Energy Pads. Why should using an expendable consumable to revive a Sentinel be a higher investment than using replenishment pads?

Feel like we should just give all sentinels the “Reawaken” thing so they can all revive after a certain amount of time (like 90-120 seconds), and make the Regen mod reduce the time it takes for the sentinels to revive (Regen could be like -3/6 seconds to revive timer unranked, up to -15/30 seconds at max rank, and for the primed version, -33/66 seconds to revive timer). 

To replace Djinn’s reawaken mod, maybe perhaps each time it dies, it has a small chance of instantly reviving itself, or reducing the revive timer by half of it’s maximum revive timer (or just by a large amount), meaning it has a chance to revive itself much more quickly compared to the other sentinels?

vor 4 Minuten schrieb crimsonspartan1:

to replace Djinn’s reawaken mod, maybe perhaps each time it dies, it has a small chance of instantly reviving itself, or reducing the revive timer by half of it’s maximum revive timer (or just by a large amount), meaning it has a chance to revive itself much more quickly compared to the other sentinels?

I think it should work like Phoenix Revival, if Djinn dies he Revives and becomes invulnerable for 3seconds and the Cooldown triggers 

Just make all Companions immortal, have them enter a cooldown state after taking what is currently lethal damage,
during which offensive capabilities are turned off but support functions like Animal Instinct and whatnot still apply.

Also, make Companions invincible (and stop attacking) when you use your Operator, just like with Frames.

1 hour ago, NinjaZeku said:

Just make all Companions immortal, have them enter a cooldown state after taking what is currently lethal damage,
during which offensive capabilities are turned off but support functions like Animal Instinct and whatnot still apply.

Also, make Companions invincible (and stop attacking) when you use your Operator, just like with Frames.

The resolution I proposed is to stray away from Companion immortality. As much as we hate to admit it, Companions are a proponent for Warframe dps as well as utility. There should be factors in limiting that potential, but we should at least have a system in being able to recall them back to systemic functionality. Pets and Moas can be revived when they’re in a downed state, Sentinels have no such system.

And applying a cooldown for an automatic revival system deters any active engagement in getting those Companions back into the fray. That feels purposefully lazy in idly waiting for those Companions to return back to active status.

45 minutes ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

applying a cooldown for an automatic revival system deters any active engagement in getting those Companions back into the fray. That feels purposefully lazy in idly waiting for those Companions to return back to active status.

I mean, opening your Gear wheel, that's not a massively "active engagement" either, now is it? 😛

[Mind, you could totally introduce Mods that reduce the cooldown for doing certain things,
like ... dunno, get multiple headshots within X seconds or whatever, that'd be closer to what I'd call active.]

Anyway, a big point is that it's not a period of "idly waiting" (or, as it currently stands, finding a way to kill yourself to revive your Sentinel, urgh)
but you continuing on through the mission with what I by now consider bare necessities like Animal Instinct, with merely your DPS taking a temporary hit.

1 hour ago, NinjaZeku said:

I mean, opening your Gear wheel, that's not a massively "active engagement" either, now is it? 😛

[Mind, you could totally introduce Mods that reduce the cooldown for doing certain things,
like ... dunno, get multiple headshots within X seconds or whatever, that'd be closer to what I'd call active.]

Anyway, a big point is that it's not a period of "idly waiting" (or, as it currently stands, finding a way to kill yourself to revive your Sentinel, urgh)
but you continuing on through the mission with what I by now consider bare necessities like Animal Instinct, with merely your DPS taking a temporary hit.

93a642306c8514a49749bdd557c4b46a.gif

Crafting Gear items is still a preparatory aspect in Warframe as a means to provide in-mission utility. And using a Gear consumable to revive a Sentinel is still relative to Corpus in generating an Osprey. When Companions are made immortal, that is essentially throwing out the risk management in taking the time to revive your Companion or keeping them healthy with Pack Leader. There is no exchange in taking the time to bring them back into active status, or utilizing the features in game to get them back into their feet (revive them normally, or taking the extra steps to go invisible or going into Void Mode then revive). Having an automated revival system with a cooldown... doesn’t make any sense, and only serves to give players a blanket buff in having a companion equipped with them.

The system we have now in keeping Companions mortal with the current revival methodology is fine. However, Sentinels need to have a comparable system as well. Making Companions and Sentinels immortal is just overpowered.

9 hours ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

We already have this scenario in game: Energy Leech Eximus and consuming Energy Pads. Why should using an expendable consumable to revive a Sentinel be a higher investment than using replenishment pads?

Coughs in archwing charges. Remember how literally no one thought that was a good idea. Even DE changed their mind on it. Same idea with yours.

11 hours ago, kevoisvevo said:

Coughs in archwing charges. Remember how literally no one thought that was a good idea. Even DE changed their mind on it. Same idea with yours.

That’s a rather... inflated comment (off of left field) that doesn’t necessarily argue or specify against my comparison here?

... What?

7 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Just make all companions invincible. I haven’t seen a single companion that provided utility that is a huge game changer. 

DethCube’s Energy Generator and Sahasa’s Dig for energy orb generation on frames that don’t have an ability kit generates energy orbs and for players that don’t want to use the Zenurik Focus School. Wyrm’s Negate for status relief. Djinn with Fatal Attraction and Shade with Ghost for aggro drop. Carrier’s Ammo Case for ammo inefficient weaponry.

Regarding Sentinels, DethCube, Djinn, Ghost, and Carrier have extremely beneficial precepts that can change or alter how people approach content. I’m personally not a huge fan of Shade’s Ghost precept, but Djinn’s Fatal Attraction behaves like a passive close-quarters version of being an aggro drop.

And we all know how Adarza’s are utilized in Eidolons with Cat’s Eye, and the predominance of Smeeta used in the loot farms.

If Companions are made immortal, these precepts that we get from them will become ever present. There won’t be any risk management ever and we’ll retain blanket buffs in keeping these features. Why would this make any sense, if not a severe compromised nerf to them in exchange?

Regardless of this segued discussion, pets and robotic companions can be revived by the player’s engagement. Sentinels cannot. This needs to change, and the proposition I set forth is a means in attempting to have the player engage in a set of motions to resolve their long withstanding situation (permadeath) with the Gear Wheel and an expendable Consumable that can be crafted via Corpus Dojo Research.

I like this idea. I think it fits.

That said, I also think sentinels should get the Link mods. All other companions can use them, including MOAs. Sentinels are massively, massively, massively underpowered compared to all other companions because they can't use these mods.

8 hours ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

Why would this make any sense, if not a severe compromised nerf to them in exchange?

Of course there will also be a trade off for this, but the trade off is for the better. babysitting companions is a tedious activity. It eliminates the fun of actions in gameplay.

8 hours ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

Regardless of this segued discussion, pets and robotic companions can be revived by the player’s engagement. Sentinels cannot. This needs to change, and the proposition I set forth is a means in attempting to have the player engage in a set of motions to resolve their long withstanding situation (permadeath) with the Gear Wheel and an expendable Consumable that can be crafted via Corpus Dojo Research.

Oh my companion died -> Uses consumable -> Companion dies again 4 second later -> Repeat. Sure it solves the permanent death problem, but you still have to deal with the terrible companion survivability.

4 hours ago, SteveCutler said:

That said, I also think sentinels should get the Link mods.

Link Mods? They are band aid mods and forces players to use a tank frame to make their companions survivable. If you use a squishy frame it does nothing.

I was thinking about sentinels earlier and was gonna post about it but here we are.

Engagement in terms of game play, just make the sentinel have bleed out timer  like a kubrow or kavat if the charges of Regen is used up.

Djiin mod still unchanged.

Added edit:

Clarify on first topic reviving on bleed out will not refresh the charges of Regen, as well Self Destruct & Spare Parts

If "Gear option" is the thing that would be implemented I only hope that it will work like this: 

1. Gear not consume

2. Sentinel is send to Ordis for repair and this will take time (1-3+ mins, player suggestion/reaction)

3. Regen mod charges refresh.

If a "Mod option / band aid" becomes a thing. Mod name "Reconstruct", effects:

1. After destruction the sentinel will respawn after 10 seconds. Works nearly like Djinn's Reawaken mod.

2. Not equipable with Sacrifice, making Djinn still outstanding.

20 hours ago, kevoisvevo said:

i also remember how long it took them to change it... ofc, then i had several hundreds of charges build of them to avoid the hassle... those are now a reminder of foolishly overbuilding stuff in WF ^^)

the difference of AW-charges and his idea is that our sentinels are not in need of being 'recalled' as it where with the charges during, e.g., a typical PoE bounty - if one is indeed using such a gearwheel item to the sentinel back, there would be a completely different problem at work (the problem of really bad modding or stupid play-style which get the bugger destroyed all the time).

11 minutes ago, UdsUds said:

I was thinking about sentinels earlier and was gonna post about it but here we are.

Engagement in terms of game play, just make the sentinel have bleed out timer  like a kubrow or kavat if the charges of Regen is used up.

Djiin mod still unchanged.

in line with this: i would even be happy if we could just use one of our own self-revives to get the sentinel back - this would also be a 'strategic' decision to make and by no means a kind of 'endless supply' of sentinels (at least not for each misson)... regen then could stay the way it is.

Archived