Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Call of the Tempestarii story (Spoilers)

RazerXPrime

Heya can anyone explain the story to me? I should probably play the mission again and pay better attention, but I was super disconnected from what was going on the whole time. Everything was loud and chaotic and Cephalon Cy is a really really poor story teller.

So I get on my railjack, I end up in a void storm and find a ship. Gothca. We then board a Corpus ship? and hack some consoles to find information on the Tempestarii. Seemingly a rescue vehicle that rescued a lot of people (even though they don't fit on this Railjack class ship.) The other console hacks didn't leave anything I can remember.

Then we go onto the ship and meet Sevagoth. Destiny's Child attempts to sing a pirate song while we use Sevagoth without understanding what we're doing. And then we play some Corpus railkjack mission followed by getting Sevagoth back together with his "shadow" self. Although we now have Sevagoth we decide that farming him is more fun so we shoot him out of an airlock and blow him to bits so we can gather the parts seperately. It then ends with a cutscene of  a woman and a Corpus guy, which I should know, but I don't. I also think this lady attacked us before, but I don't recall really what happened.

Uhm... I dunno. So can anyone explain this to me?

9 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

So can anyone explain this to me?

I was in a hectic Voice Chat at the time, but I could still hear the quest, and got most of the essentials:

Spoiler

- Cy informs Tenno there's some salvage in a hostile part of corpus-controlled space and says it would be a "stupid idea" to take a look. he wants you to go there, so the Tenno does.

- while there, we encounter the space pirate, who's name I've already admittedly forgotten but I think it was "Vala" or something? she attacks the tenno, but Cy says there's data on board the ship he needs: Tenno infiltrates ship and takes the data.

- you learn that the Captain is following the Tempestarii, and old rescue ship that saved many lives over the centuries, but was lost to the Void. the ship asks "who's waiting for my shadow"? the Tempestarii defends itself against the Tenno, and Cy warps you out of there.

- Cy then decides to lure the Tempestarii to some specific co-ordinates, without Vala interfering. the plan works the Tempestarii appears and asks it's question again. Cy responds with "your golden masters", thinking the ship is still loyal to the Orokin, but it becomes hostile. the ship asks again, than Cy answers with "lost souls" and the Tempestarii invites them aboard.

- on board the Tempestarii, you encounter Sevagoth's Shadow, who reveals a dark hologram of a cryopod. he can't touch it so the Tenno has to use their Parazon to interact with it, and learn the whereabouts of the cryopod.

- suddenly, Vala appears and thanks the tenno: they have lured the Tempestarii and now Vala has trapped it in place.  the Tenno destroys the trapping beam thingy but then something happens, Tenno falls unconscious.

- you learn the reason for Vala wanting to destroy this ship is because for some reason it attacked the industrial platform she wa working on. she survived because she was in an exo-suit, likely for industrial heavy lifting purposes, but many others including her "sisters" (not sure if by blood or just crewmates) were not so lucky. she wants to aveneg them by destroying the tempestarii. then comes the best/tippiest part of the quest:

- you play as Sevagoth's Shadow and kill a bunch of corpus while that FREAKING AWESOME sea shanty plays. IMO it's not quite up there with We All Lift Together but it comes close!

- after that you are back aboard the Tempestarii and must fend off Vala's fighters , then use the ordnance to damage Vala's Ship.

- the Tenno then travels into the void and retrieves the cryopod you were told about earlier.

- the cryopod opens to reveal Sevagoth himself, who used the last of his life force to enter his ghost form, however his physical form was trapped in the void and "who waits for my shadow" was Sevagoth's Shadow calling out to his physical form. by retrieving his physical body, the shadow returns to it's master. 

- in a closing cutscene, a wounded Vala appears in the Granum void, and collapses near Parvos Granum's Pyramid. we then see a man standing above her, and a golden hand reaching out: it is of course, Parvos, who refers to her as "sister"

my two cents on it:

it was a pretty good quest overall, though I was somewhat distracted whilst playing it. the pirate women Vala, or whatever her name is, is interesting but could have been given more screentime in my opinion. I'm guessing though that she might appear again and/or have something to do with Corpus Liches in the future. the soundtrack was greta, that sea shanty kicks a$$ and I love that you get the Tempestarii as a skin for your railjack! after that, I just did a couple other missions before logging off.

I can concur, the storytelling was a bit chaotic and hermetic in some parts.

From my understanding that's what happened.

There was a Void storm and a Corpus Captain (Vala, the girl you see at the end) was in charge to investigate and retrieve.

As usual we joined the party and ruined Corpus fun. While doing so an ancient vessel emerged from the void storm.

Cy reveals that the vessel (Tempestari) is helmed by a "Ghost", a lost crew member with a secular rescue mission still to complete. Vala also reveals that he was his target all along, since corpus do not tollerate his existence.

After a brief fight the Tempestari disappear and the only way to find it again is to get the coordinates of void "gates" guarded by corpus.

Once you do that, you use the coordinates, have another encounter with the Tempestari and wait till he choose to lower the shields and let you in aboard. There you meet "shadow" the ancient ghost who invites you to interact with (the tempestari core?) 

but while you're doing so, Vala takes you both by surprise and traps Tempestari in a Gravital anchoring laser.

-- Don't ask me what the scene in which you take control of Shadow is supposed to be or mean because I did not get it lol -- (the only thing I noticed there is that you were haunted by Parvos ghosts... maybe while you were fighting on one side, shadow was fighting in void?)

Btw after that, you destroy the laser, go back into Tempestari and use a powerfull weapon of the ship which opens a "void hole"and sucks Vala into it.

Vala makes a call to her "sisters" to avenge her. Those sisters will probably be the Corpus Liches.

You instead reach the final destination of Shadow, the lost capsule of Sevagoth. Now they can finally reunite.

in the meanwhile Vala trapped in the void reach Parvos, a character we previously encountered, the "founder" of Corpus, kept alive all this time thanks to the power of Protea and also trapped in Void. 

I don't know why we turn Sevagoth into fireworks tho. Maybe some sort of funeral? Dialogues say that Sevagoth was sparing that little of life kept in him waiting for Shadow. Maybe after that he could rest in piece and go out with a big bang ?

2 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

You should replay it then, because you didn't understand much. Trying to explain it would require literally explaining the whole thing since the beggining, because you didn't even grasp a notion of who Vala is

She's a singer? (not a good one).

Joking aside the content was very vague. Maybe if I play it a few times it'll be clear, but not looking forward to that Sevagoth void play with the goofy pirate song in the background. It just made me laugh because of how silly it was. That was probably the worst part of the mission.

The whole thing came off rather disjointed. I get the feeling there's this interesting story under all this, but it didn't come through for me.

3 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

She's a singer? (not a good one).

Joking aside the content was very vague. Maybe if I play it a few times it'll be clear, but not looking forward to that Sevagoth void play with the goofy pirate song in the background. It just made me laugh because of how silly it was. That was probably the worst part of the mission.

The whole thing came off rather disjointed. I get the feeling there's this interesting story under all this, but it didn't come through for me.

Then you should watch it on youtube instead replaying it, since that part is unskipable apparently

Thanks for the explanation all. I may do as Vanaukas suggests and watch a video on this. To be honest the story elements weren't implemented very well and there's far too little information on Sevagoth and Vala that they might as well not be there at all and you'd still have the same experience.

14 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

Thanks for the explanation all. I may do as Vanaukas suggests and watch a video on this. To be honest the story elements weren't implemented very well and there's far too little information on Sevagoth and Vala that they might as well not be there at all and you'd still have the same experience.

The problem imo is that the quest was too short, and the flow maybe a bit too fast. We had not the chance to even make a full opinion on both characters for how short was their screentime. 

If I see at one of the best story quest we had , the one with excalibur umbra, in order to grow attached to the characters we were given much more storytelling.

Just now, Cloud said:

The problem imo is that the quest was too short, and the flow maybe a bit too fast. We had not the chance to even make a full opinion on both characters for how short was their screentime. 

If I see at one of the best story quest we had , the one with excalibur umbra, in order to grow attached to the characters we were given much more storytelling.

Yea I agree. There could have been cutscenes with flashbacks to the past. That would've been much more helpful than Cephalon Cy's monotone voice taking on the bulk of the content. As much as I like my ship's resident Cephalon, he's the wrong choice for this type of content.

1 hour ago, RazerXPrime said:

Seemingly a rescue vehicle that rescued a lot of people (even though they don't fit on this Railjack class ship.)

See, this right here has me thinking you weren't trying very hard to understand in the first place, because that's pretty obviously a service record, not 'they rescued a couple thousand people in one go.'

2 hours ago, (PSN)Rebel-sonie said:

I don’t understand why they continue to introduce new characters that are barely developed when they have a plethora of existing characters that are barely expanded upon. There’s already tons of story threads that need to continued, why on earth are new ones being set up!?

Because DE has never been able to tell a story that is developed and leads players along with breadcrumbs.

FF14 this is not.

22 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

I will have a transcript for this quest up in the next day or two (as I do for all quests and lore content, over at the Orokin Archives). You might find it easier to comprehend in a written format – I know I do.

EDIT: transcript is here

3 hours ago, RazerXPrime said:

Heya can anyone explain the story to me? I should probably play the mission again and pay better attention, but I was super disconnected from what was going on the whole time. Everything was loud and chaotic and Cephalon Cy is a really really poor story teller.

So I get on my railjack, I end up in a void storm and find a ship. Gothca. We then board a Corpus ship? and hack some consoles to find information on the Tempestarii. Seemingly a rescue vehicle that rescued a lot of people (even though they don't fit on this Railjack class ship.) The other console hacks didn't leave anything I can remember.

Then we go onto the ship and meet Sevagoth. Destiny's Child attempts to sing a pirate song while we use Sevagoth without understanding what we're doing. And then we play some Corpus railkjack mission followed by getting Sevagoth back together with his "shadow" self. Although we now have Sevagoth we decide that farming him is more fun so we shoot him out of an airlock and blow him to bits so we can gather the parts seperately. It then ends with a cutscene of  a woman and a Corpus guy, which I should know, but I don't. I also think this lady attacked us before, but I don't recall really what happened.

Uhm... I dunno. So can anyone explain this to me?

Basic TLDR:

Spoiler

There's two stories being told, interwoven with each other.

The first is the Tempestarii. A railjack lost in the void. It's sort of a flying duchman. turn out it got lost looking for Sevgoth and we after stumbling on it lure it out and manage to get it to let us help it complete it's final mission and rescue Sevgoth so that it's shadow can reunite with it's body and it can be given a proper burial at the end of the quest.

The second is Vala. The ship she was on was destroyed some time ago by the wandering Tempestarii when they ran into each other in a void storm, (note quest doesn't hint at it but it's possibble the Tempestarii showed up in response to the imminent destruction rather than caused it, kind of unclear how acurratte Vala's knowledge of what destroyed the ship is). She's captain Ahab basically and she uses you tracking it down to help her find it and try to capture it. Then when that doesn't work she tries to destroy it but the Tempestarii uses some weird ability to dump her ship in the void and she ends up in the grahanam void where someone rescues her. Could be Pavos, but i'm betting on nef impersonating him personally.

9 hours ago, (PSN)Rebel-sonie said:

I don’t understand why they continue to introduce new characters that are barely developed when they have a plethora of existing characters that are barely expanded upon. There’s already tons of story threads that need to continued, why on earth are new ones being set up!?

Because Digital Extremes is extremely bad at storytelling. They always have been.

• 3 months later...

I'm a little late on this one, and I'm a little let down by the quest. I was expecting something more detailed and coherent. The whole thing just seemed like a bunch of random ideas thrown together without much narrative between. Vala is some throw away character we've never seen or heard of before, why should I care about her sisters? What was the point of playing as the shadow and fighting the corpus? Kinda cool but no explanation. 

And for people who say DE is bad at storytelling, yeah the can be. But have you considered how good the deadlock protocol was? Using characters we knew and introducing ones we had heard about but had not yet seen. Giving explanations as to why things were happening. 

I guess Sevagoth is all about the shadows and the dark, so DE did a good job keeping us in the dark about what was going on. 

Archived