Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Monkey strength?

(PSN)ELTETMU

Question

Hi everyone.  So, I just started using Wukong and oh man he is really fun!  I can't believe I haven't got around to using him before.  I have a question about his 4th ability.  After some reading about Wukong, it seems it's pretty awful.  So I was considering switching out Primal Rage polarity with something else.  I had Blind Rage in mind and wanted to know if this would be a good idea?  It does seem my regular melee weapons do more damage indeed.  As a primarily melee focused player could I get some suggestions on if I should keep with the 4th ability and Primal Rage or should I dump it entirely for another ability?

Thanks!

18 answers to this question

1 hour ago, (PSN)ELTETMU said:

I think Sevagoth's Shadow Claws are pretty good, other than that I would agree.  What about Valkyre's Warcry?  That seems to be a pretty popular choice. 

You mean Kitty Claws... They definitely do the most damage... My issue with them is the lack of Coverage.... Hence why I prefer Baruuk's Airbending Shenanigans...

I haven't had the pleasure of Sevagoth yet... One day.... One day... 🙂

1 hour ago, (PSN)ELTETMU said:

That seems to be a pretty popular choice.  Also, I just equipped Rage on Monkey man, it's the first time I've ever used it and boy does it seem good. 

Indeed.... He's got easy Healing and can take a Beating so Rage fits in nicely.... Means you can pair it with Blind Rage aswell.... Maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's some great ideas, I appreciate it. Lots of stuff to try out for sure.  I'll more than likely make three Helminth setups and just play around with em to see what fits my playstyle best. 

I am a melee focused player typically when I can get away with it.

Since Wukong has a Drain function on his 4 already, you should be modding for decent Duration or Efficiency, or both, to keep that low and be able to spam his 2 and 3 when you need to.

Blind Rage can work, but only if you counter it with something else for Efficiency. If it were me, I'd use... Okay, with Steel Charge you can do this build without Umbral Forma, but it will take 4 regular Forma. So that's Steel Charge, the two Umbral mods, for Health and Strength, couple that with Transient Fortitude, and then slap on Fleeting Expertise for the Efficiency. After that you can counter the Duration loss with basic Primed Continuity and Narrow Minded (I use my Narrow Minded at only rank 7 or 8, not really the max). Then you fix the Range back up to above normal with Stretch and Augur Reach. Your Exilus, if you want one, is then whatever you want, maybe Power Drift for a little more Strength, maybe Cunning Drift for a little more Range. You won't fit Primed Sure Footed on there, though, not without an Umbral Forma.

What this does is make for a very Efficient, and reasonably high Strength build with positive Duration and Range. That's a solid 225% Strength, 160% Efficiency, 148% Duration and 121% Range. With Steel Charge you then also have the nice little Melee boost for your regular work.

Ability wise this is then only 10 energy for Cloud Walker, it lasts for 3 seconds (which is more than enough, as it will heal up 202.5% of your Health over the full distance, so that's 100% of your max health restored in only about 1.5 seconds...), and is easy to spam. Defy is then a 14.5m radius, or 29m diameter AoE, multiplies back the damage taken by about 16.8x so should kill most everything if you gain enough damage 'defied' and you have your Clone with you, and it's a cool 20 Energy to cast.

All of this? leaves you with the ability to change your 4 to something else.

A great all-rounder ability is Fire Blast, as it will reduce Armour values by 75% and knock down in a radius, with that Efficiency it will only cost you 20 energy to cast too, so not a bad deal.

Similarly Pillage is also good, at that Strength it won't strip as much Armour as Fire Blast, but it will only cost you 10 energy, it also strips Shields, then restores your shields up to Overshields from the simplest hit on enemies, and is easily cast and re-cast to hit enemies quickly for more strip.

Eclipse is kind of wonderful when you get the buff you want. Shadow will give you a damage reduction buff (although not always up to max) and Light will give you that damage buff that's comparable with Rhino and Chroma.

Speaking of Rhino, you can't really go wrong with Roar, it'll boost the damage you deal every time.

Now you have a fantastic new one in Gloom, from Sevagoth, which at that Strength will slow everything by 80%, with that Efficiency only cost you a maximum drain of 2 energy per second, and will have a max Range of over 19m radial, or 38m diameter (that's quite a large area for a melee build).

If you want a little more specific CC, Breach Surge from Wisp is always amazing, and will help with more damage as you kill.

Xata's Whisper from Xaku is a very specific damage boost, but it does have the rare property of applying a second 'hit' of your melee weapon as the Void damage, rather than just boosting it as a percentage. So at that Strength you're adding 58% of your melee damage as a second hit. It's actually pretty good for melee.

And that's about what I have for you.

Go have some fun with the monkey ^^

If you are going all in on power strength to toughen up your twin i would use vial rush. It is a little redundant because wukong already has s tier mobility but it has 0 energy cost and can help supplement layering status procs.

Imo vial rush is the default on any frame where i just need to dump an ability i dont like. 

I use resonator on my wukong though. Solid cc and damage avoidance ability for when you want to be lazy.

9 hours ago, (PSN)ELTETMU said:

Honestly, Wukong should have had his exaulted ability called "monkey see monkey do" where you send out a bunch of little Wuclones that attack.  That would have been great!

It would fit is Theme too....

Honestly if we're being honest Wukong is suppose to be the best Warframe given the source that inspired his creation.... So it's about upsetting to see him so Balanced.... 

Everyone knows Wukong is suppose to be OP... 😈 !!!

FWIW, here's some Helminth funzies I tried out / thought about:

Fire Blast / Breach Surge / Radial Blind / Shooting Gallery
for CC + damage (buff) effects, on a "balanced" build with 175% Range.

Maybe Spectrosiphon for free real estate Energy,
or Spellbind for (Squad) Status immunity [hello Rad Sorties / Liches]
and spamming at Extraction to stack butterfly visuals infinitely some occasional CC.

Fire Walker / Mind Freak on a 300% Duration build is fun,
FW works during Cloud Walker, woo filling the air with fire trails lol,
MC to add yet another companion when Wuclone isn't enough :P

Dispensary should also work nicely, for again (Squad) support prowess,
or possibly Neutron Star to make a yet more tanky mankey.

Yep that's sort of what I had in mind.  Pair it with Blind Rage.

I wish I could try all the Helminth choices in a test mode like the simulacrum or something.

Oh well. if only I could put "kitty claws" on Wukong!

Honestly, Wukong should have had his exaulted ability called "monkey see monkey do" where you send out a bunch of little Wuclones that attack.  That would have been great!

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

The only good Exhalted Weapons are Baruuk's Bare Hands.... They give both Range and Damage in equal measure.... Just make sure you use Reactive Storm.

Everything else kinda Sucks.... And I'm not just talking about Melee.... Artemis Bow and Balefire Charger are merely Okay at best.... lol... I almost forgot about Mesa, Regulators are pretty good too.

I think Sevagoth's Shadow Claws are pretty good, other than that I would agree.  What about Valkyre's Warcry?  That seems to be a pretty popular choice.  Also, I just equipped Rage on Monkey man, it's the first time I've ever used it and boy does it seem good. 

The only good Exhalted Weapons are Baruuk's Bare Hands.... They give both Range and Damage in equal measure.... Just make sure you use Reactive Storm.

Everything else kinda Sucks.... And I'm not just talking about Melee.... Artemis Bow and Balefire Charger are merely Okay at best.... lol... I almost forgot about Mesa, Regulators are pretty good too.

16 minutes ago, Sevek7 said:

Good luck! She's one of the more difficult frames to farm. (Personally I would farm other things to sell and then buy her with plat.)

Haha!  Good point!

Ensare mixed with Defy sounds amazing.

2 minutes ago, (PSN)ELTETMU said:

Thanks for these suggestions.  Khora's ensare sounds fantastic.  I might give that a go.  Now I'll have to farm Khora because I don't have her!  😊

Good luck! She's one of the more difficult frames to farm. (Personally I would farm other things to sell and then buy her with plat.)

1 minute ago, (PSN)ELTETMU said:

Ok thanks for the info, something to think about.  Any recommendations from Helminth?  I was thinking maybe Pull from Mag might be good.

I was considering just using Blind Rage to increase the Celestial Twin Damage as well.

If I remember correctly, ability strength does not affect Celestial Twin's damage, only his health.

Pull is a nice ability, but becomes very unwieldy with high power strength (enemies fly way behind you). You may need to sacrifice some ability strength for this to work in your favor, otherwise it can tend to just make you surrounded!

Sevagoth's Gloom can be useful for slowing down nearby enemies, but it needs high power strength and low effects intensity.

Banshee's Silence is awesome for it's stun (and ability to chain stun by repeatedly moving in and out of range) and it also prevents enemy abilities like Eximus bubbles, Hyekka spawns, Hyekka master fire bombs, all ground slams, ancient / scorpion hook attacks, etc... (Also prevents enemy necramech storm shroud and other abilities). Also works really well even with neutral range / duration.

Valkyr's Warcry could be nice since it may let you remove an attack speed mod on your melee weapon. It probably won't though, since you'll need a lot of power strength.

Khora's ensnare is really good, especially with high range, for grouping enemies together. Good for melee so you can whack away at the group all at once.

Those would be my top picks, but it certainly depends on your playstyle too!

Ok thanks for the info, something to think about.  Any recommendations from Helminth?  I was thinking maybe Pull from Mag might be good.

I was considering just using Blind Rage to increase the Celestial Twin Damage as well.

I would remove the ability entirely and replace it with something better from Helminth. The exalted weapon is not good, and the stance is really awkward to use (neutral combo has your character falling down on the ground???). Air melee on all staff & polearms also has broken hitboxes (only hits enemies on your left), so if you like using air melee this is again a no-go.

There are some meme builds that can work. Like putting gladiator mods on your helios's deconstructor weapon, combined with primal rage augment to get some decent crit chance. But this has a tendency to bug out sometimes and stop giving the gladiator bonus (or at least it had back when I still thought this might be salvageable!).

Of course, 99% of the game is so incredibly easy that you can use whatever you enjoy the feel of the most, so the weapon's damage doesn't really matter. In the end, I just don't like how this weapon feels anymore (with bad stance combos and missed air melees), so I would remove it.

Archived