Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Magnetic Status Effect Needs Overhaul

xxswatelitexx

Magnetic is still one of the worst status effects in the game and creating "specific" units just so magnetic is relevant just shows how bad it is.

Suggestions for Alternatives

1. Magnetic SE increases Crithitbox Size of enemies. So players do more crit damage. 

2. Magnetically Affected enemies explode creating a small magnetic vortex, pulling nearby enemies together. If multiple enemies die near each other, it creates a bigger vortex ( instead of making multiple smaller ones  Does not affect flesh or bone armor.

3. Magnetic gives energy leech. Where players gain a Energy over Time buff for every enemy affected by magnetic proc. 

1 hour ago, xxswatelitexx said:

Magnetic is still one of the worst status effects in the game and creating "specific" units just so magnetic is relevant just shows how bad it is.

Suggestions for Alternatives

1. Magnetic SE increases Crithitbox Size of enemies. So players do more crit damage. 

2. Magnetically Affected enemies explode creating a small magnetic vortex, pulling nearby enemies together. If multiple enemies die near each other, it creates a bigger vortex ( instead of making multiple smaller ones  Does not affect flesh or bone armor.

3. Magnetic gives energy leech. Where players gain a Energy over Time buff for every enemy affected by magnetic proc. 

47 minutes ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

There simply isn't strong enough shields in the game yet. The damage type doesn't really need to be reworked, it'll be there for when we will actually need it at some point in the future.

This: The problem isn't the magnetic proc.

The problem is that armor is thousands of times stronger than shields and because of that you don't need to use magnetic to kill a enemy with shields like you need with armor. You can use literally ANY element and it will easily kill a shielded enemy because Corpus are weak and can be killed by brute damage alone.

I don't even need to use magnetic on my Latron Prime. With its 3m+ damage per shot, I can use only Corrosive and even with the element doing less damage, it still deletes Corpus.

... Usually the ones asking for an overhaul/rework of a specific status effect are the ones that really have no idea when to use it effectively or, in the worst of cases, how it even works because they're still stuck in the illusion that they just have to mod vs Grineers health and everything else is just inferior because they just get deleted...

... And then when they find someone that is perfectly immune to one of the key elemental damages and its status procs, in all aspects (scripted or otherwise), they come to the forums and complain out of frustration that the enemy's immunity is a bug and should be fixed or that a specific elemental type needs to be overhauled/reworked, when what they really need to do is to fix their build.

Like the other guy, complaining about the treasurer because his full toxin modded toxin weapon was dealing crap damage to its shields and had 0 bypass so, from his point of view, the treasurer had a bug and it needed to be fixed so he could farm Protea.

... Its as if DE specifically didn't changed magnetic from its initial 50% shield reduction to be a "Viral vs Shields" with Shield Recharge & Shield gating nullification properties....

11 hours ago, Godmode_Ash said:

Where do you get that info?

I forgot to mention the status proc (human error is annoying at times), which functions as Uhkretor posted...

12 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

Its as if DE specifically didn't changed magnetic from its initial 50% shield reduction to be a "Viral vs Shields" with Shield Recharge & Shield gating nullification properties....

Magnetic is still likely better used on the Tenno than by the Tenno thanks to the additional (albeit annoying) energy drain.

magnetic has more issues than just being a bad proc :

• it doesn't combine with DoT that are effective against shields (whereas you can have Corrosive + heat, or viral + heat)
  • it combines with a DoT that makes magnetic procs totally useless (Toxin)
  • it doesn't even combine with another element that is good against shield (i.e. you can't have magnetic + cold)
  • Some of the highest shields are immune to magnetic procs (Kyta raknoids)
  • it's bad against alloy armor (i.e. toughest corpus robots)

Currently it's a meme element to be used on crit weapon against steel path treasurer

1 hour ago, (NSW)Zergmaster999 said:

I forgot to mention the status proc (human error is annoying at times), which functions as Uhkretor posted...

AFAIK Magnet damage/proc doesn't bypass/remove enemy's shield gating, I was asking where you got the info that it does.

1 hour ago, MonsterOfMyOwn said:

magnetic has more issues than just being a bad proc :

• it doesn't combine with DoT that are effective against shields (whereas you can have Corrosive + heat, or viral + heat)
  • it combines with a DoT that makes magnetic procs totally useless (Toxin)
  • it doesn't even combine with another element that is good against shield (i.e. you can't have magnetic + cold)
  • Some of the highest shields are immune to magnetic procs (Kyta raknoids)
  • it's bad against alloy armor (i.e. toughest corpus robots)

Currently it's a meme element to be used on crit weapon against steel path treasurer

That's the thing I feel really off about Magnet.

For the armor side: Viral/Slash, Corrosive/Heat, Rad/Cold all combine really well for moding. For shield side, the only option is Magnet/Tox. But using Tox alone is more effective and it frees up extra room for riven or faction mod. 

Blast also need rework as well. Already very few enemy types weak to Blast, but even Corrosive is better against Fossilized than Blast.

I feel like a simple enough buff for Magnetic damage could be for our Magnetic damage to ignore shield gating on enemies: the problem with Magnetic damage and status is that it makes it easier to target an aspect of enemies that isn't actually that important, because enemy shields pop incredibly easily. The problem, rather, is that some weapons perform poorly against shielded enemies because unless one gets a headshot or the like, most of their damage will be soaked up by the shield gate, and it may take a little while for the next shot to come round. Allowing Magnetic damage to bypass this could let burstier weapons one-shot Corpus once more when building against them.

4 hours ago, Godmode_Ash said:

AFAIK Magnet damage/proc doesn't bypass/remove enemy's shield gating, I was asking where you got the info that it does.

Magnetic damage doesn't bypass/remove enemy shield gating. It disables their shield recharge completely as long as its affected by a Magnetic proc. Not even Shield Drones can help them, as the shield polarity is different and receives no capacity and recharge bonus from those drones.

The information about it was given by DE in the patch notes of the Update that refined the Status system as a whole, as it was also mentioned by DE during devstreams around that time.

2 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

Magnetic damage doesn't bypass/remove enemy shield gating. It disables their shield recharge completely as long as its affected by a Magnetic proc. Not even Shield Drones can help them, as the shield polarity is different and receives no capacity and recharge bonus from those drones.

The information about it was given by DE in the patch notes of the Update that refined the Status system as a whole, as it was also mentioned by DE during devstreams around that time.

That's just Magnetic proc. It stops shield from recharging but it doesn't disable shield-gating. If a Corpus unit has full shield, it will still shield-gating "first" after taking magnetic damage. Magnetic proc only prevent him from shielding again.

Disabling shield-gating means completely bypass/ignore that mechanic before it can happen. For example, Nyx's Psycho Bolt can remove Corpus shield before they have chance to shield-gating.

Perhaps I was too strict on the wording, but @(NSW)Zergmaster999 claimed that Magnetic proc disable shield-gating. Well, it doesn't. It disable shield recharging.

21 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

... Usually the ones asking for an overhaul/rework of a specific status effect are the ones that really have no idea when to use it effectively or, in the worst of cases, how it even works because they're still stuck in the illusion that they just have to mod vs Grineers health and everything else is just inferior because they just get deleted...

Actually Its clueless individuals that thing everything is peaches that don't understand the game.

Other Status elements are at least useful in all the races - magnetic is only specific to 1 faction - even then only some units of that faction.

Which is why Magnetic damage needs an overhaul so it is actually useful. 

Its a TERRIBLE mechanic that i have to go to Arensal switch out to Magnetic because a specific enemy is only useful to a proc that is totally and completely useless to every other faction.  That's just bad gameplay.

The simplest solution is usually always the best one. DE choose the worst most convulated solution possible. Add Shield Gating + Specific Enemies just  so magnetic isn't a complete and utter joke. Which is irrefutable of why those changes were made, because they badly wanted magnetic not to be an embarrassment. 

46 minutes ago, xxswatelitexx said:

magnetic is only specific to 1 faction

Yes, it is.

46 minutes ago, xxswatelitexx said:

even then only some units of that faction.

Only if you want to... Directly modding just Toxin has that disadvantage.

Even though Toxin has the advantage to bypass shield, it shouldn't be used as the only elemental damage against said faction. But I'm not even going to explain why, even small observation skills of the enemy reactions between "just Toxin" and "Toxin + Magnetic" shows exactly which one is to be used. The ones that actually choose to mod for Magnetic AND Toxin don't face the problems you're facing.

... Again

22 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

what they really need to do is to fix their build.

If you're going with just Toxin because you think that Magnetic is terrible and useless, then its entirely your choice... But somehow, this seems more like a "you" problem than Magnetic being useless... I find it to be most useful as it is now than it was prior to the refinement of the status system...

... Room for improvement? Sure, Magnetic can be improved...

... Overhaul it? Nope, as there's not need, or reason, for it. And asking for an overhaul under the guise of "improvement" doesn't make it an improvement either... It makes it an overhaul...

Side note: Corpus Demolishers are easy to deal with. Just grab a Velocitus, mod it for Radiation and Toxin, and you'll be 1-shotting, or close enough, demolishers that have Alloy Armor.

Il y a 15 heures, xxswatelitexx a dit :

magnetic is only specific to 1 faction

Tbh it's also good against us, tenno, so it's good against 2 factions.

Having status / effects that are mostly good against players is not unsusual in games (pen and paper rpg, or video games), but then the devs should at least acknowledge it.

Archived