Jump to content

Why is petting your companion so difficult?


Her_Lovely_Tentacles
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm having trouble petting my companion, because the game always makes me interact with something else on the ship.

Initially, you could just use the melee button to pet them, but that got removed. With Sisters of Parvos, the option to pet them has been removed from the Incubator as well. This makes it extremely difficult to pet your companion when you want to.

Please bring back the ability to pet them with the melee button.

Look at her! She deserves those pets.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean, you can pet them through the incubator console if you really are having issues doing it wherever on your Orbiter they may be. I do also support the idea that either the "pet" button is reverted to Melee or otherwise we're given a choice, though.

Better yet, make the petting cutscene skippable. It's utterly infuriating when you try to interact with something other than your pet and end up having to sit there through the entire unwanted cutscene without any alternative, sometimes happening multiple times in a row.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a little fiddly so improvements can be made overall, but at the moment I find I can approach from the right side while facing the dog, and before getting close enough to the Incubator interaction, I can interact to pet. Sort of coming up the ramp and sliding along the collision plane while spamming “Use”; the spot becomes second nature after some practice

edit: Those dog-things are so pretty. Mine’s purply

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I's not difficult, i pet mine all the time when that's not what i'm trying to do.

But hey, that futuristic 3d printer is so overrated, it's a much better idea to try to make that sword by forcing down some Nano Spores on a Kavat's throat.

Space PETA will surely bring me that sword and some other weapons, it's efficient.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Her_Lovely_Tentacles said:

I just tested that, and it doesn't work.

You must not have been looking at the pet right or it was still too close to the incubator or some other console in the ship so that activated instead. All you have to do it look at it and hit interact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

В 13.07.2021 в 07:35, -EPECb- сказал:

And it seems to me that in vain they removed the opportunity to petting our pets. It was necessary to add various BONUSES for petting both, cats and dogs, and not what was before. It was not necessary to remove this interaction mechanics. It was good in itself, but not thought out. Now the mechanics of interaction with pets are irrevocably erased from game and unlikely it to will return to us again, as it seems to me. :sadcry:

And I always wondered why there was no need to petting cats? ..it was strange, I would even say, not right. Cats initially "tried" to dominate the attractiveness of use for players. It was wrong.

I would like more refined mechanics of interaction with the in-game environment that exist at the moment instead of completely removing them.

 

В 18.08.2021 в 00:11, -EPECb- сказал:

... I completely forgot when the last time touched my pet on Orbiter. I even stopped looking in his direction. Now he is just a thing for me. Enough time has passed after the update and the awareness came that something really was cut out in vain from this game. It is sad ...

+++

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

You must not have been looking at the pet right or it was still too close to the incubator or some other console in the ship so that activated instead. All you have to do it look at it and hit interact.

You said I would be able to pet her by hitting interact while she was inside the incubator, which does not work.

Of course I can pet her while she is away from a console, that has always worked, and you can see me doing that in the end of the video, when she finally wanders away (after opening the mod console, because she was too close to that too)

 

Edited by Her_Lovely_Tentacles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Her_Lovely_Tentacles said:

You said I would be able to pet her by hitting interact while she was inside the incubator, which does not work.

I said no such thing in any of my posts in this thread. Even in my second post where I replied after someone else I specifically said "there's no prompt" which would preclude you from looking at the incubator which would have a prompt to interact with it up.

17 hours ago, Her_Lovely_Tentacles said:

Of course I can pet her while she is away from a console, that has always worked,

So you're seriously complaining about not being able to pet them only when they've directly wandered into the incubator or too close to another console, or you've specifically recalled her to the incubator by activating the console? I suppose that's on me for not watching the whole video, you were just making the same mistake over and over and I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you couldn't pet them at all.

Stop activating the incubator over and over.

You're the one making it more difficult to pet them. Look at them directly, if you see a console prompt pop up, do not hit interact. Especially not the incubator which will recall them. 😒

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

I said no such thing in any of my posts in this thread. Even in my second post where I replied after someone else I specifically said "there's no prompt" which would preclude you from looking at the incubator which would have a prompt to interact with it up.

You did say that. Read back the thread.

iPathos: you can pet her in the incubator
Me: how? that option is gone there
You: hit interact

so... I don't know what you're on about. You saying "there's no prompt" just told me that when I have the incubator already open, there is no prompt, which is obviously true as well. It's just that hitting interact with the incubator open doesn't do anything.

Anyways, that's besides the point.

 

11 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

So you're seriously complaining about not being able to pet them only when they've directly wandered into the incubator or too close to another console, or you've specifically recalled her to the incubator by activating the console? I suppose that's on me for not watching the whole video, you were just making the same mistake over and over and I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you couldn't pet them at all.

Yes, that is exactly what I am referring to. I can't pet my companion because it activates the incubator instead. They literally removed the option to pet her from the incubator. Even earlier, they removed the option to just pet her with the melee button, which worked everywhere.

 

11 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

Stop activating the incubator over and over.

You're the one making it more difficult to pet them. Look at them directly, if you see a console prompt pop up, do not hit interact. Especially not the incubator which will recall them. 😒

I'm not trying to activate the incubator, I'm trying to stand far enough away from the incubator to pet her, but it's extremely finicky. In some instances you can see I am even trying to face away from the incubator, and it still sucks me to the incubator and my companion as well.

And even when I she finally wanders away, it will often just open another console randomly.

Edited by Her_Lovely_Tentacles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Her_Lovely_Tentacles said:

You did say that.

No. I did not. I said:

On 2021-08-22 at 7:58 PM, Hobie-wan said:

Just hit interact, but there's no prompt, it just happens.

I did not say "while looking at or having already activated the incubator." You inferred that even though I meant while simply being wherever in the ship having only walked around in it.

But anyway, that's far too much time wasted on this nonsense that letting them move a little further away from the incubator makes this a non issue.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Her_Lovely_Tentacles said:

Even earlier, they removed the option to just pet her with the melee button, which worked everywhere.

Do you have your melee button mapped to your interact button? Because what you keep saying has never been a thing. You've always hit your 'interact' key, not melee. Like with Xbox controllers, you hit X not B.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

No. I did not. I said:

I did not say "while looking at or having already activated the incubator." You inferred that even though I meant while simply being wherever in the ship having only walked around in it.

so you're completely ignoring context. Ah. Makes sense.

Alice: I got a lovely new car for sale.
Bob: Nice, what colour is it?
Chris: Blue.
Alice: What are you talking about? The car is red.
Chris: Yea, but my car is blue.
Everyone: ???

Mate, there's nothing wrong with making a mistake, but by now you're just embarrassing yourself, arguing back and forth over nothing.
Accepting a mistake with dignity is the way to move forward, and everybody worth their salt will respect that.

 

17 hours ago, Hobie-wan said:

But anyway, that's far too much time wasted on this nonsense that letting them move a little further away from the incubator makes this a non issue.

Why do you keep insisting it's a non-issue? You can clearly see in the video that it is an issue. There was no reason for DE to nerf the ability to pet your companion, so I don't see why it needs to be harder than before, and I just don't think that was their intention.

 

15 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Do you have your melee button mapped to your interact button? Because what you keep saying has never been a thing. You've always hit your 'interact' key, not melee. Like with Xbox controllers, you hit X not B.

no, that was definitely a thing.

It got changed in late 2019. Maybe it was always different on xbox.
It was an undocumented change in Update 26.0 (2019-10-31).

 

Edited by Her_Lovely_Tentacles
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...