Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

alright, how do you play revenant

CaptainSpear

Question

hey yall, its been a while since i played revenant, and..... well i want to give him a second shot. especially since im walking the steel path and everyone recommends him for the zealoid prelate.

thing is, the only 2 things i remember about him is that i just couldn't get into a groove and his 4th looked cool. how does he really operate? whats the core loop to his actions? what state of mind do you have when playing him? any good helminth recommendations?

ive been trying to look on YouTube but everyone who speaks English only moans about what they dont like about him and those who actually play him speak English as a second language and speak very brokenly. (no complaints here, im sure they are trying their best.)

anyone willing to give me a honest run down of him, im willing to listen.

13 answers to this question

I've not actually run him at SP level, but here's what I do:

1) Mesmer Skin. Always have it up, gives free CC and on those targets Enthrall is free.
2) Enthrall often, it spreads via damage to other enemies, provides heal via Reave and when they die (from any source?) they leave columns of damage behind.
3) Remember there's two modes to Danse Macabre, I wouldn't use the powered up version if you're just doing a quick spin to clean harder to hit enemies with low health (like Latchers and Maggots), but the powered up version is great for if you're spinning for any length of time.

It varies from person to person, so all I can do is explain how I play him as a Revenant main. If built and played right, he's one of the few frames that can feasibly fight max level enemies in Steel Path.

I primarily focus on very high power strength of 250% or higher with a secondary focus on ability duration. This is to give his Reave the ability to 1shot any enemy you enthrall with some exceptions. Mesmer Skin is the most powerful defensive ability in the game and you gain more charges of it with higher ability strength as well. Enthrall is a terrific ability to draw aggro off of both you and any objectives you may be trying to protect, plus you can use it with Reave to instantly kill almost anything. Ability duration improves both thrall duration and how long enemies are stunned by Mesmer Skin damage reflection. Danse Macabre is a throwaway ability if you want to Helminth something instead, because it doesn't deal a whole lot of damage in high level content. You could swap it out with Expedite Suffering if you wanna go with a heavy bleed weapon, Protea's Dispensary so you never have to worry about energy, Eclipse or Roar for overall more damage, or Shuriken with augment so you can kill max level Steel Path enemies with a gun instead of melee (or you can't use the Enthrall+Reave combo).

The strategy is to enthrall the enemies and try to group them up so you can use Reave and kill them all at once. This is mostly effective solo, because teammates will often destroy your thralls before you get the chance to line them up, but they're still good at drawing aggro which is especially useful after the eximus rework.

2 hours ago, CaptainSpear said:

hey yall, its been a while since i played revenant, and..... well i want to give him a second shot. especially since im walking the steel path and everyone recommends him for the zealoid prelate.

thing is, the only 2 things i remember about him is that i just couldn't get into a groove and his 4th looked cool. how does he really operate? whats the core loop to his actions? what state of mind do you have when playing him? any good helminth recommendations?

ive been trying to look on YouTube but everyone who speaks English only moans about what they dont like about him and those who actually play him speak English as a second language and speak very brokenly. (no complaints here, im sure they are trying their best.)

anyone willing to give me a honest run down of him, im willing to listen.

Well heres the thing with revenant, you actually read his abilities first,  you play with them and then make a build focused on things you want to do with him.

2 hours ago, CaptainSpear said:

ive been trying to look on YouTube

This is your, an unfortunately true for many others, mistake... You don't YouTube the stuff you want to use... You learn by using it, you get to know about it, then you get to mod it for yourself, then you'll be able to do SP with it.

... Yes, mod for yourself. That's pretty much the only way to mod anything.

Keep Mesmer skin active to tank, keep enemies Thralled for CC and healing. The dash is a way to heal you and restore your shields, and hitting your thralls with it will buff the amount it restores. As for his disco dance... it's just a "turn off your brain and win" ability, zero engagement as soon as you turn it on compared to his other abilities

Wait, you guys actually bothered to put Forma and use mods on Revenant?

Only thing that no one seems to have mentioned, Revenant also has a damage bonus on enthralled enemies (or maybe it turns their damage resistances off, anyway you're dealing more damage to them)and can enthrall Acolytes as well.

You can almost instantly kill enthralled Acolytes with kinda mediocre weapons.

15 minutes ago, kgabor said:

Wait, you guys actually bothered to put Forma and use mods on Revenant?

Only thing that no one seems to have mentioned, Revenant also has a damage bonus on enthralled enemies (or maybe it turns their damage resistances off, anyway you're dealing more damage to them)and can enthrall Acolytes as well.

I went and checked the wiki, but I didn't see anything about Enthrall allowing you to deal more damage to them in general. If that is indeed happening, it might be a bug.

The only time Enthrall increases damage is when you use the Reave ability on them as its damage is quintupled when used on your thralls.

2 hours ago, Pizzarugi said:

I went and checked the wiki, but I didn't see anything about Enthrall allowing you to deal more damage to them in general. If that is indeed happening, it might be a bug.

The only time Enthrall increases damage is when you use the Reave ability on them as its damage is quintupled when used on your thralls.

I was also surprised it's not stated anywhere.

It takes approximately 10+ hits for me to kill an Acolyte with something like a combo modded Skiajati (so something that isn't optimal for short Steel Path missions, like Incursions)with other frames.

If i enthrall them first, it's about 3-4 hits.

I always use Zenurik with Revenant so my combos always reset by that time so that couldn't be it, it's always consistently a fast kill with Enthrall.

6 hours ago, kgabor said:

The catch here about the "bonus damage" is that Enthralled enemies or mind controlled enemies will lose any bonus buffs from the level/mission. This ranges from:

• Elemental/Physical Enhanced Sorties (both the bonus damage and universal damage resistance in respects to the type of Sortie)
  • Radiation Hazard (loss of their innate Radiation bonus damage)
  • Steel Path Modifiers

It's understandable why people don't like the Thralls, but Thralls are meant to be disposable. They:

• Are far easier to kill due to the aforementioned loss of bonuses and being unable to attack back
  • Allow for more Thralls to spread either from the Thralls damaging other enemies, the Pillars, or Revenant himself
  • Draw aggro to keep Mesmer Skin charges up while protecting the team if needed
  • "Steal" Eximus auras by Enthralling them onto your side

I just do a mix of range duration and power. Mostly range duration. Thralls are his unique thing so I build for them and to keep the spread going. Range makes the pillers left by dead thralls fire at more enemy’s and convert them to thralls.

Its basically made so that even when playing in a party it’s impossible for your allies to stop your thralls from spreading. 

Just keep in mind when you build him his 2 covers all defence you’ll ever need so build 100% into his ability’s and do what’s fun.

I used to play a lot of Revenant. I checked out my build and the wiki and here's what I know:

1. always have your 2nd skill up, it provides near-immortality (you can hit Inaros+ levels of survivability with some anti-status mods)

2. Enthrall is your bread and butter

3. Reave thru your thralls. Having enough strength to kill them within 2 passes is ideal. Especially strong against otherwise tough enemies due to % max hp damage

4. Use your 4th skill in big crowds, it will turn your thralls into damage fountains and also blend up enemies

6. Loop between steps 1, 2, and 3 or 4. You are a factory for producing and then destroying thralls. You are a meat grinder for thralls. You take enemy units and then turn them into your own damage.

2 hours ago, Gwyndolin-chan said:

I used to play a lot of Revenant. I checked out my build and the wiki and here's what I know:

1. always have your 2nd skill up, it provides near-immortality (you can hit Inaros+ levels of survivability with some anti-status mods)

2. Enthrall is your bread and butter

3. Reave thru your thralls. Having enough strength to kill them within 2 passes is ideal. Especially strong against otherwise tough enemies due to % max hp damage

4. Use your 4th skill in big crowds, it will turn your thralls into damage fountains and also blend up enemies

6. Loop between steps 1, 2, and 3 or 4. You are a factory for producing and then destroying thralls. You are a meat grinder for thralls. You take enemy units and then turn them into your own damage.

this mostly lines up with what i asked, so yeah thanks man im going to hunt down those parts again

Archived