Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make ALL Pets Useful Probably?

Havokmancer

Oh brother another pet thread. Yeah, I know I'm the thousandth member to post this topic for the hundredth time now...but you never know this might be the one complaint to set thing off. Or not. 

Seriously though, we have 22 non-sentinel pets (not counting Khora's Venari) and most of the players who even think about using pets stick to either the Smeeta or the Panzer Vulp. The other types have their niche applications (I like MOAs) but they're few and far between. And it's not surprising. Warframe has evolved so much in it's near 10-year run but most of the pets have been left behind. Heck, even the newer ones are "eh" at best (Crescent Vulpa with a single target charge in a horde shooter game?). It's just increasingly more difficult for them to compete with how OP so many things are now (for both the players and the enemies). 

Maybe some stat/scaling changes could help but, honesty, I think a fair number of pet mod precepts should be looked into and reworked. And no, please don't nerf whatever pets are considered meta just so us players are forced to look for something else to be "metafied". That just defeats the purpose. 

Maybe this issue isn't among the top in DE's list of stuff that needs looking at but hopefully they get to it soon. Because right now, it feels like most of the pets are just like bloatware in a PC.

I've mentioned it in another thread an easy way to fix sentinel survivability is through changing the parazon mod hard reset. Mod existed when every enemy could be mercy killed and now that they changed that the mod is now completely useless. Tinkering a bit with the mod text like the ways I suggested for example would almost entirely fix the pet system. An easy and simple fix :)

Eh, I've been after them for years to fix the companions we have, they just added more that had some of the requests while the old pups and kittens are left as-is and even the new ones lacking certain mods for some odd reason.

Honestly. I would Never take a furry companion on a mission who was as poorly, seeming, trained as the kubrow and kavat. It would hurt too much seeing them gunned down as they tried lunging at an enemy just as they backed away and kept lunging at the spot they were 30 entire seconds ago.

Kubrows need a weapon... here ya go. Robot Hounds with a 3 weapons and even Rivens for them. K\

Kavats, Gotcha covered, here's an infested Kavat that turns into a 30s sentinal instead of dying.

I have heard one of the guys who is working on soulframe was actually tinkering on a companion revamp... what odds would you give that the revamp is the base system to the soulframe companions..

(Which, btw, if I get a Giant wolf as a companion I would probably never play warframe again.. or guild wars 2 or champions online... but I degress)

41 minutes ago, AreeSoothsayer said:

Eh, I've been after them for years to fix the companions we have, they just added more that had some of the requests while the old pups and kittens are left as-is and even the new ones lacking certain mods for some odd reason.

Honestly. I would Never take a furry companion on a mission who was as poorly, seeming, trained as the kubrow and kavat. It would hurt too much seeing them gunned down as they tried lunging at an enemy just as they backed away and kept lunging at the spot they were 30 entire seconds ago.

Kubrows need a weapon... here ya go. Robot Hounds with a 3 weapons and even Rivens for them. K\

Kavats, Gotcha covered, here's an infested Kavat that turns into a 30s sentinal instead of dying.

I have heard one of the guys who is working on soulframe was actually tinkering on a companion revamp... what odds would you give that the revamp is the base system to the soulframe companions..

(Which, btw, if I get a Giant wolf as a companion I would probably never play warframe again.. or guild wars 2 or champions online... but I degress)

Yeah. That's what's baffling me tbh. I've been playing since 2014 and while they've done some great QoL changes for pets (yeah screw that old DNA stabilization and loyalty bs) there's still so much left that could be done but they're either giving half-assed solutions or ignoring things completely. Is DE really that out-of-touch with the playerbase of the game or were they high on something when they greenlit the release of 3 new Kubrow reskins with edgy names?

Heh, same sentiments here. If the people working on Companions 2.0 or 3.0 or whatever-the-hell.0 for warframe are on soulframe AND they let us have big beasts as pets, friendship with WF may possibly end

1 hour ago, chaotea said:

I think what they need is to have all pets respawn on a timer as default, and any pets with respawn mechanics get a much shorter cooldown or something similar. Like Djinn could gain an isntant respawn once every 5 min.

That would be a welcome addition for sure. I just hope that if DE does decide to do this, they don't just stop there. Respawning pets is nice but what's the point if their contribution is still negligible even if alive right? 

1 hour ago, chaotea said:

I think what they need is to have all pets respawn on a timer as default, and any pets with respawn mechanics get a much shorter cooldown or something similar. Like Djinn could gain an isntant respawn once every 5 min.

4 minutes ago, Havokmancer said:

That would be a welcome addition for sure. I just hope that if DE does decide to do this, they don't just stop there. Respawning pets is nice but what's the point if their contribution is still negligible even if alive right? 

Companions (pets, sentinels, kavats etc) should be just immortal.

If that's too much then just make 2 companions:

- one immortal with support (e.g. healing, ammo, scanning, levitation etc)

- another one that's revivable with offensive capability: they can have weapons, deal damage etc

If player doesn't want offensive companion they can equip 2 immortal one

4 hours ago, Havokmancer said:

d most of the players who even think about using pets stick to either the Smeeta or the Panzer Vulp.

I stick with Carrier for ammo and destroying stuffs (and few other stuffs but they are on other companions).

4 hours ago, Havokmancer said:

Maybe some stat/scaling changes could help but, honesty, I think a fair number of pet mod precepts should be looked into and reworked. And no, please don't nerf whatever pets are considered meta just so us players are forced to look for something else to be "metafied". That just defeats the purpose. 

Yeah, maybe some require some stats changes but some mods are useless. I've beaten my sister to get disarming mod. What it does? NOTHING. It uses on enemies but with timers I will kill them first. Then it has cooldown (afair). It's useless.

1 hour ago, Havokmancer said:

Could make them scale to enemy level? Also think passive buffs should always remain, like animal instinct.

If you bring link health, link armour and pack leader on a tough melee frame (ie, excalibur, rhino, valkyr ect) pets are shockingly durable if you hit anything in melee every few seconds and can hit pretty hard too. Doesn't work quite as well with link shields on shield based warframes though sadly.
I'd like to see a rework, but they're not utterly useless atm.

11 hours ago, -MElHiOR- said:

Still dreaming of something, that could revive sentinel after its complite death... Dont know... Maybe something like crafted consumable???

That's the suggestion I gave, which is the first reply to this thread. It's the parazon mod hard reset, but in its current state it simply does not work. They need to change the 3 mercy kills to 1 mercy kill for the revive. Mod was created when every enemy could be mercy killed and now after the changes it has not been touched.

13 hours ago, (XBOX)Erkwounder said:

what if you guys using formas, buff stick, links and so on? I have kubrows which basically 1 shot killing regular mob ~130 level. Of course you need to take sacrifices to gain strong pets, except sentinels. Use melee + tanky tenno too so pet get armor and hp.

Oh no! Of course, all of us here are such noobs that we don't know what formas and link mods do! Huuurrrrrrr! I wouldn't be posting this if all I wanted to see was my dog chew up some random grineer grunt. In any case, we're doing all that you've said already since that's a given but many of us looking for further pet functionality rather than just a semi-autonomous furball occasionally destroying 1 little regular mob. Killing 1 mob one at a time isn't the main issue here. Even my vulpa and predasite can kick ass but think about it, sometimes what a player needs is utility not raw damage. And if players do need raw damage, they'd rather prefer if said damage came from their own weapons/abilities and not solely on their pets as if they were Diablo beastmaster class.

10 hours ago, Larrell said:

If you bring link health, link armour and pack leader on a tough melee frame (ie, excalibur, rhino, valkyr ect) pets are shockingly durable if you hit anything in melee every few seconds and can hit pretty hard too. Doesn't work quite as well with link shields on shield based warframes though sadly.
I'd like to see a rework, but they're not utterly useless atm.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. Pair up your pet with an Inaros or Nidus or even Monke and you'll have tought-as-nails pets with you. I'm not new to Warframe, just clearing things up :) 

"Usefulness" is subjective at this point I guess, seeing as how the first guy above I replied to most likely gauges a pet's usefulness on its ability to kill run-of-mill grunts. It's not bad, but there could be more. It's kinda like why almost everyone and their mother rolls with the likes of the Smeeta kavat just because of it's Charm buff or the Panzer Vulp because of it's mini-Saryn spores ability. Or like how others have pointed out, Sentinels and their go-go gadget utility. So yeah, depending on your priorities and builds, the current pets will either be useful or "augh I'm not ever going to use it why did I even bother forma-ing it and all that". 

21 hours ago, Lutesque said:

DE can't hear you over the sound of Monkey Screams being Clobbered by the Nerf Hammer.... Because apparently that's more important ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the contrary, I like how people started sharply worried about pets as soon as this nerf sounded. Before that, there were simply minor topics.) 

9 hours ago, selig_fay said:

On the contrary, I like how people started sharply worried about pets as soon as this nerf sounded. Before that, there were simply minor topics.) 

Yeah. I hope DE also elevates this from a minor to-do change to something a bit more important. 

The pet system is just silly in a lot of ways. By and large, pets are there for QoL mods that should just be part of the game. Every frame should have a default radar size that pings nearby enemies. A map that just shows the player is totally useless, and putting in a radar mod for most frames is wasting a slot, enter Primed Animal Instinct instead of ... I dunno, a basic 10 meter(?) radius that displays enemies. Small enough that it's worth equipping the mods still, big enough you can push your face to the wall and find that last idiot hiding in an exterminate/defense mission. And vacuum mods, of course. That thing that should NEVER have been a mod to start with. It's ridiculously punishing when they die and you have to walk over every single orb to get them. For caster frames it slows the game down so much not having vacuum. If nothing else, I can get behind an item or a timer to respawn pets. Though I'd rather they be something more than walking QoL.

Archived