Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The specific playstyle of AoE that is literally unjustifiable.

(XBOX)Lord ChibiVR

There is one main thing about AoE that seriously bothered me, and it's why I personally wanted a nerf.

I'm talking about the strategy where you literally pick up a 20k damage explosive round shooting rocket launcher, and then you just shoot your feet. 

Seriously, what type of gameplay is it that? If I was to tell some random people "hey look at this cool high end Warframe gameplay" and then I just show a clip of me shooting explosives two feet in front of me while everything around me is dying, do you think they would find that interesting?  

It's immersion breaking.

If I had a Warframe-destroying explosive cannon and then I just shoot my feet, do you really expect me to be not only unscathed, but entirely unaffected to where I can run down a hallway while doing so? 

Lore wise, no. In terms of theoretical gameplay, no. But in terms of actual gameplay, this is the playstyle that most people (47% of players) were using. 

It's so nonsensical that I cannot think of any other game where I can do this and not die. Yet in Warframe, my character is entirely unaffected by such powerful explosives despite fact these weapons are literally used by liches to penetrate Warframes.

Despite this, people claim this is entirely justifiable and should be allowed, but as shown by gameplay and meta, this is somehow a safer playstyle than to use your Warframe abilities. 

This deserved a nerf; it made no sense.

(I understand if you dislike the ammo nerf, but you shouldn't be able to shoot yourself with a rocket launcher and not be punished, even if you think the ammo nerf wasn't the best solution.)

Yeah this is why some type of self damage needs to return or DE needs to go ahead with the Sure Footed nerf they talked about. Doesn't really matter exactly how it's done or how ultimately minor the effect is so long as players are at least inconvenienced for "playing" this way.

Just now, trst said:

Yeah this is why some type of self damage needs to return or DE needs to go ahead with the Sure Footed nerf they talked about. Doesn't really matter exactly how it's done or how ultimately minor the effect is so long as players are at least inconvenienced for "playing" this way.

Rn I'm ok because at least doing this drains all your ammo, but if they decide to alleviate the ammo nerf I would definitely want this implemented.

3 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

But at least now you will run out of ammo if you constantly do it. At least it's punished now.

And all the whiners on the ammo change feedback forum would have you believe its a significant pain point for aoe, but from my tests, its not, it just means you have to keep mobile for ammo pickups, and make sure you run vigilante supplies/primed ammo mutation or one of the many other ways to mitigate the ammo issues.

But i agree, its a step in the right direction.

Splish splosh splash! These Sporelacer shots keep my feet cool! 

You're not the only person who thinks self damage was the way to go but I have no opinion on it because I never tried it ^^;

I do know that it might actually be coming back at this rate though lol because they said that we are getting more nerfs if players can't control themselves, and players CAN NOT control themselves. The AoE addiction runs very deep!

Not to immediately rush to defend shooting at your feet (yeah, it's cheesy), but Warframe has a severe readability problem.  Busy enemies blend in with busy environments.  Every meta weapon seems to be a piñata of particle effects.  The HUD is an absolute mess.  Our enemy radar and enemy highlighting options are minimal.  They don't do enough.

Until Warframe's visual clarity gets addressed, I'm going to keep taking the path of least resistance.

1 minute ago, Pavelord said:

imagine them using the spin to win or aoe meta for the action scenes in new cinematics or if the did a warframe anime or something.

I would find it hilarious to have it be canonical that most tenno became lazy and resorted to rocket launchers instead of continuing to master melee combat and Warframe abilities.

Just now, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Considering the reaction to an ammo nerf, I don't think that would work out, at all.

I think the ammo nerf is more of a problem. Would be interesting if DE would put it to a vote. Get rid of the KZarr, Bramma and KOgris and bring back ammo or keep the ammo nerf with the offending weapons.

3 minutes ago, m_a_r_c_h_ said:

I think the ammo nerf is more of a problem. Would be interesting if DE would put it to a vote. Get rid of the KZarr, Bramma and KOgris and bring back ammo or keep the ammo nerf with the offending weapons.

Tbh I would consider a return of self damage to be interesting as you would be forced to choose between (1) not using firestorm or (2) using firestorm but being much more cautious with your shots instead of shooting next to your Warframe without care.

11 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

I would find it hilarious to have it be canonical that most tenno became lazy and resorted to rocket launchers instead of continuing to master melee combat and Warframe abilities.

Teshin warned us..

The Lotus ssseduced the Tenno and led them on a complacent path like Oxen.. At least I think that's the line? 

I just remember waking up from my Cryopod with Lotus gluing Ogris to my arm and being pushed out the door to go fight some angry emo guy stalker, really!

She was all like "you don't need training! That baby fires a 14 meter blast!"

31 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

I'm talking about the strategy where you literally pick up a 20k damage explosive round shooting rocket launcher, and then you just shoot your feet

While I don't disagree with the nerfs, I'd like to take time to remind DE how this whole fiasco could have been avoided if they hadn't totally removed self damage. Thinking about it still frustrates me to no end

1 minute ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Tbh I would consider a return of self damage to be interesting as you would be forced to choose between (1) not using firestorm or (2) using firestorm but being much more cautious with your shots instead of shooting next to your Warframe without care.

Anything like this is worth considering if they would bring back ammo. It really is affecting a lot of weapons and while I get why they did it, a lot of people really like their primaries and are trigger happy which makes them happy. People call it brain dead which is too bad and who cares. Not everyone plays for the same reasons.

Nobody really gets to gatekeep how things play besides the developers. I advocate here often for changes to be made towards Primed Sure Footed and the AoE situation. However, I certainly use it myself:

unknown.png?size=4096

unknown.png?size=4096

It's enjoyable often and it's efficient. I know it's unhealthy, but why would I not use it when it's available for a game mostly full of trash mobs and the chase for more powercreep?

42 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

I'm talking about the strategy where you literally pick up a 20k damage explosive round shooting rocket launcher, and then you just shoot your feet. 

Seriously, what type of gameplay is it that? If I was to tell some random people "hey look at this cool high end Warframe gameplay" and then I just show a clip of me shooting explosives two feet in front of me while everything around me is dying, do you think they would find that interesting?  

It's immersion breaking.

First person shooter games have used normal humans shooting rockets at their feet just to jump slightly higher for decades. This mechanic used to be in Warframe with the Tonkor, dealing a fixed 50 self-damage

Don't try to complain "muh immersion" now just because you think self-damage kept the Wukong players away from you 

12 minutes ago, Voltage said:

Nobody really gets to gatekeep how things play besides the developers. I advocate here often for changes to be made towards Primed Sure Footed and the AoE situation. However, I certainly use it myself:

unknown.png?size=4096

unknown.png?size=4096

It's enjoyable often and it's efficient. I know it's unhealthy, but why would I not use it when it's available for a game mostly full of trash mobs and the chase for more powercreep?

That's exactly why it shouldn't exist. It defies all logic, but is still more practical than anything else in the game (as long as you have ammo).

1 minute ago, TARINunit9 said:

First person shooter games have used normal humans shooting rockets at their feet just to jump slightly higher for decades. This mechanic used to be in Warframe with the Tonkor, dealing a fixed 50 self-damage

Don't try to complain "muh immersion" now just because you think self-damage kept the Wukong players away from you 

Oh no I didn't even bring those wukongs up, I was referring to the mirages and Garudas that only shoot their feet and still out preform everyone else.

4 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

That's exactly why it shouldn't exist. It defies all logic, but is still more practical than anything else in the game (as long as you have ammo).

AoE has been a thing since the dawn of Warframe. Get used to it.

Mag used to nuke any enemy with a shield with 1 button, Saryn nuked with Miasma, Ash with Bladestorm, Radial Javelin, Mesa didn't always need to aim at enemies, Exodia Contagion exists, Trinity nuked with Link, Limbo nuked with Cataclysm, Telos Boltace/Scoliac nuking 20 meters at a time with Maiming Strike, Magus Lockdown had infinite scaling grenades on Void Dash, Synoid Simulor, Tonkor, Mirage, etc.

It's always been there with a new flavor every few months/years. It only becomes a real hot topic when it is extremely accessible.

Archived