Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is “Soulsframe?”

FadeToNull

A guy I follow on YouTube keeps referring to “Soulsframe.” At first I assumed he meant the Drifter with swords in Duviri.

But Duviri came out and he keeps mentioning “Soulsframe” as a future project DE is working on. So now idkwtf.

So can someone demystify this for me?

ty

There are gameplay previews, trailers on YouTube and a website for the game if you want to check if out, 

It's basically a third person melee combat game with gameplay that is very similar looking to Duviri (before you pick up a few decrees and just revert to ignoring the gameplay systems)

1 hour ago, bad4youLT said:

Soulframe is DE's next game that they are working at , lets just hope it won't end up as DE previews game .

If DE don't organize their house in the code department we are going to repeat Warframe experience of bugs in every update the game achieves in Soulframe. 

Both Warframe and Soulframe needs new engines and a team of capable code writers. The foundations are very important. Either way this is not my type of game. However a good start on Soulframe may carry Warframe for further updates and future developments. 

6 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

However a good start on Soulframe may carry Warframe for further updates and future developments. 

More like Warframe is testing ground for Soulframe as we can see Drifter melee combat

51 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

If DE don't organize their house in the code department we are going to repeat Warframe experience of bugs in every update the game achieves in Soulframe. 

Both Warframe and Soulframe needs new engines and a team of capable code writers. The foundations are very important. Either way this is not my type of game. However a good start on Soulframe may carry Warframe for further updates and future developments. 

DE previews game was called The Amazing Eternals that got canned around 2017 for lack of support from community if you didn't know

1 hour ago, Myscho said:

More like Warframe is testing ground for Soulframe as we can see Drifter melee combat

We were afraid of that but since this is the player assisted model, DE will save money testing their ideas on the players. 

Such move left mixed feelings in the community, specially the RNG randomizer on weapons and warframes. There are many moves here that are leaving a bad taste on few members here.  

1 hour ago, bad4youLT said:

DE previews game was called The Amazing Eternals that got canned around 2017 for lack of support from community if you didn't know

Soulframe may walk the same fate. However there is more effort into it. With all honesty I don't see a bright future in Soulframe up to this moment with what we already know. DE may get better but Warframe is their main bet. Guerrilla Games got a stroke of genius with Horizon Zero Dawn. The idea exploded with success giving them a complete new franchise and way of doing things. 

27 minutes ago, Felsagger said:

Soulframe may walk the same fate. However there is more effort into it. With all honesty I don't see a bright future in Soulframe up to this moment with what we already know. DE may get better but Warframe is their main bet. Guerrilla Games got a stroke of genius with Horizon Zero Dawn. The idea exploded with success giving them a complete new franchise and way of doing things. 

People who are working on Soulframe are the same people who created Warframe and gaved DE Rebecca control over Warframe 

Spoiler

Steve , Scott , Sheldon , Geoff to name a few 

14 minutes ago, bad4youLT said:

People who are working on Soulframe are the same people who created Warframe and gaved DE Rebecca control over Warframe 

Hide contents

Steve , Scott , Sheldon , Geoff to name a few 

But you have pieces on the board that makes such game harder. 

Elden Ring. 

Chrono Odyssey. 

These contenders are in your chessboard. 

Remember that Warframe had no other similar product competitor for a span of ten years plus. The risk of comparisons are not that great but when there are products that literally have the pazzazz of Soulframe, things will be looked with more scrutiny and higher expectations. 

I'm too fast for you.  

28 minutes ago, bad4youLT said:

People who are working on Soulframe are the same people who created Warframe and gave DE Rebecca control over Warframe 

Continuing with the conversation. The problem is that DE is heading towards IOS games while other contenders are establishing full released games on a particular hardware instead of being the least common denominator of many hardwares. The quality is not going to be the same. 

it's DE's next big gamble, and from where I'm sitting, I'm not sure it's going to pay off.

putting aside that DE will have to run 2 live service F2P games at once once Soulframe launches, from what I've seen so far, this nerw game looks.. totally lacking, in anything: the aesthetics are so similar to the less horror-inspired parts of Elden Ring that if I didn't know any better I'd think this was just Elden ring played on lower settings. it doesn't look like it offers anything at all to set it out from the rest, and I could even see some recycled stuff from warframe in there: notice how the character blocks with their sword? exact same stance that Warframes take when blocking with a sword like Dakra Prime, Skana etc. you would think that DE would want the animations and style of the Soulframe character to be as different from warframe as possible, to reflect on how this is a totally new game; same developers, but with an entirely new formula... right? 

that's just it: it isn't a new formula at all, and the industry is already saturated with these types of games, even outside of Dark Souls and it's relatives, you've got Mortal Shell, the Nioh Franchise, Chrono Odyssey, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and there are more on the way with Black Myth: Wukong and Wolong Dynasty. "soulsborne-style open world action games" are in the same place now that military shooters were in during the early 2010s, and WW2 shooters the decade before that: there's so many to choose from that you have to do something drastic in order to stand out from the ever-expanding crowd.

warframe is as successful as it is because there is no other game like it. nothing else has the gameplay, the style, the identity that warframe has. I feel like seeing Steve going to work on this new game that doesn't look more than a 5/10 at best is just a prelude to a massive failure. if they were working on something that was truly unique, truly something never done before, then I'd be more excited and probably more supportive, but so far, I've yet to see anything from Soulframe that doesn't just look like Duviri Drifter Gameplay with a different HUD... which also brings us to the fact that many speculated Drifter Combat in warframe to be nothing more than a testbed for Soulframe's combat, and in certainly looks like they are right. 

overall, there is absolutely nothing about Soulframe that excites me, if anything it slightly repulses me at the moment; even the game's name sounds like it was just made up on a whim with zero thought or effort: why "Soulframe"? why the frame part? are we taking control of constructs again? how is this any different from what we already have? what does the "soul" have to do with this.. I kinda hope this is just a working title and is goign to get changed to something less derivative eventually.

TL:DR: I have literally negative hypes for Soulframe and I feel it's a wrong Direction for DE. that's just my opinion though, and there's every chance they might somehow pull it off really well, but I'm not seeing it at the moment: maybe whatever they've got planned for Tennocon will be more interesting. 

26 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

it's DE's next big gamble, and from where I'm sitting, I'm not sure it's going to pay off.

putting aside that DE will have to run 2 live service F2P games at once once Soulframe launches, from what I've seen so far, this nerw game looks.. totally lacking, in anything: the aesthetics are so similar to the less horror-inspired parts of Elden Ring that if I didn't know any better I'd think this was just Elden ring played on lower settings. it doesn't look like it offers anything at all to set it out from the rest, and I could even see some recycled stuff from warframe in there: notice how the character blocks with their sword? exact same stance that Warframes take when blocking with a sword like Dakra Prime, Skana etc. you would think that DE would want the animations and style of the Soulframe character to be as different from warframe as possible, to reflect on how this is a totally new game; same developers, but with an entirely new formula... right? 

that's just it: it isn't a new formula at all, and the industry is already saturated with these types of games, even outside of Dark Souls and it's relatives, you've got Mortal Shell, the Nioh Franchise, Chrono Odyssey, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and there are more on the way with Black Myth: Wukong and Wolong Dynasty. "soulsborne-style open world action games" are in the same place now that military shooters were in during the early 2010s, and WW2 shooters the decade before that: there's so many to choose from that you have to do something drastic in order to stand out from the ever-expanding crowd.

warframe is as successful as it is because there is no other game like it. nothing else has the gameplay, the style, the identity that warframe has. I feel like seeing Steve going to work on this new game that doesn't look more than a 5/10 at best is just a prelude to a massive failure. if they were working on something that was truly unique, truly something never done before, then I'd be more excited and probably more supportive, but so far, I've yet to see anything from Soulframe that doesn't just look like Duviri Drifter Gameplay with a different HUD... which also brings us to the fact that many speculated Drifter Combat in warframe to be nothing more than a testbed for Soulframe's combat, and in certainly looks like they are right. 

overall, there is absolutely nothing about Soulframe that excites me, if anything it slightly repulses me at the moment; even the game's name sounds like it was just made up on a whim with zero thought or effort: why "Soulframe"? why the frame part? are we taking control of constructs again? how is this any different from what we already have? what does the "soul" have to do with this.. I kinda hope this is just a working title and is goign to get changed to something less derivative eventually.

TL:DR: I have literally negative hypes for Soulframe and I feel it's a wrong Direction for DE. that's just my opinion though, and there's every chance they might somehow pull it off really well, but I'm not seeing it at the moment: maybe whatever they've got planned for Tennocon will be more interesting. 

Warframe has like basically no direct competitor even to this day.. I feel like that's kind of not the healthiest thing because it means they got overly comfortable with delivering some pretty unpolished content, but at the same time it's something to celebrate and the weirdness of all of the things you can choose is why I still play it. It's fun to switch bomb stuff with a ragtag build on Titania or make memey guns that maim.

In comparison with Soulframe though, just like you said, "methodical third person melee combat" not only has competitors, but it has a ton of saturation. The bar to even make it as a stand out is really high, a bunch of new franchises get thrown in this direction every year and only a few of them ever see success.

Personally I'm like.. Interested.. But I want to kind of know a bit more about the game, if there's going to be a selection of magic and ranged gameplay will be viable? And also if the developers have learned from the mistakes they made along the way in Warframe? Duviri made me nervous because while the "totally not a Soulframe test ground" gameplay is there, it's instantly drowned out by how incredibly imbalanced the decrees are to the point where it vaporizes nearly instantly.

If it's going to be as imbalanced as Warframe but without all of the bouncing around and crazy builds that come with the imbalance as a tradeoff, then like.. No.. If it's actually tight, balanced, and stays that way by the time it's released I think I might want to at least follow it and give it a chance. I am skeptical after Duviri now though.. The Decrees feel like Warframe's power creep in fast forward lol.

1 minute ago, Redfeather75 said:

It's going to have a big overland world to explore and entraces to underground which will be procedurally generated tilesets.

If you like the combat in duviri and you like dungeon crawling it's going to be amazing!

Have you seen the game to claim such thing? 

6 hours ago, FadeToNull said:

I didn’t Google “Soulframe” because I assumed it was a joke.

Turns out I was right, but not the kind I thought.

Thanks for the help.

2 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Or this is troll bait to start bashing it. And of course there's bites. 

Not trolling.

I asked a sincere question. Instead of simply answering, people knocked me for not using Google. (And then admittedly some answered.)

I found the put-downs irritating: I honestly thought "Soulframe" was some in-joke among Warframe players. The idea that it was actually the name of a project was so ridiculous I didn't consider it. And it's usually a waste of time to Google in-jokes.

To my astonishment, it turns out DE is actually working on a game called "Soulframe." There's nothing wrong with borrowing in art. But normally you don't announce what you're borrowing from in the title.

It's like someone wrote a fantasy novel and called it "Game of Crowns."

See what I'm saying?

As for "bait," are you kidding? In this crowd, simply mentioning something is "bait for bashing it." I could post "Saryn is pretty good" and in half an hour there'd be walls of text tearing me and Saryn to pieces.

6 minutes ago, FadeToNull said:

I found the put-downs irritating: I honestly thought "Soulframe" was some in-joke among Warframe players. The idea that it was actually the name of a project was so ridiculous I didn't consider it. And it's usually a waste of time to Google in-jokes.

To my astonishment, it turns out DE is actually working on a game called "Soulframe." There's nothing wrong with borrowing in art. But normally you don't announce what you're borrowing from in the title.

When I saw the first five minutes of the video I thought that DE was pulling off a meme or a joke on April's fool or something about Elden Ring. 

38 minutes ago, FadeToNull said:

Not trolling.

I asked a sincere question. Instead of simply answering, people knocked me for not using Google. (And then admittedly some answered.)

See what I'm saying?

As for "bait," are you kidding? In this crowd, simply mentioning something is "bait for bashing it." I could post "Saryn is pretty good" and in half an hour there'd be walls of text tearing me and Saryn to pieces.

The name does sound kind of cheesy. Even my kids make fun of it. I wonder if its just a placeholder. 

Still looking forward to it though. 

Archived