Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe rivens

(NSW)Fmc89

7 hours ago, (NSW)Fmc89 said:

What about warframe rivens?

They used to exist. They were discarded back in the open beta.

DE don't want them because it makes the work for Abilities harder.

Basically it's a balance, testing and bug-fixing thing. The team only has to do one Radial Blind, one Tornado. They don't have to bug-fix for a frame having variable stats from a riven.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

They used to exist. They were discarded back in the open beta.

Warframe Rivens have never existed, and also open beta only seems to have officially ended sometime in the last year or so. Not sure exactly when. The game still required you to agree to the Open Beta Agreement until at least April of last year, but it doesn't anymore.

They are indeed a bad idea for several reasons. First, Warframes have far fewer stats to choose from than weapons. Second, additional increases to most of these stats would be either inconsequential or totally overpowered. Most notably, the current limit on Ability Range seems to be sacred. The last time the maximum possible value for that stat was increased was in 2017.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Exxion said:

Warframe Rivens have never existed

'Rivens' conceptually are random-roll stat mods.

These existed.

And yes, one of the reasons they aren't coming back is exactly as you mentioned; very few specifically useful stats to choose from, but a lot of utility to make most rolls useless, and then the balance issue of DE not increasing certain stats in an almost religious fashion.

1 hour ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

'Rivens' conceptually are random-roll stat mods.

These existed.

Oh, you mean the old mods 1.0 system from closed beta. I knew it existed, but didn't know much about it. Didn't know the mods were randomized back then.

To be clear, I agree with DE about being very careful with Range in particular. Most abilities have their effectiveness increased roughly by the square of Range. (Technically, the volume covered increases by the cube for most abilities, but enemies are mostly in the same plane, so the scaling is usually effectively only by the square.) All the other stats scale only linearly. Well, except Efficiency, but that's hard-capped anyway.

Edited by Exxion

On 2023-06-24 at 4:06 PM, (NSW)Fmc89 said:

Absolutely not.

DE proimised Riven would never be for Warfames. Bad enough they are breaking this promise by not removing statsticks.

I can tolerate this cancer for weapons, but not for Warframes.

4 hours ago, Cerikus said:

Absolutely not.

DE proimised Riven would never be for Warfames.

And yet after said promise they added Helminth Invigorations. The only word DE has held true to is Founders items. Everything else can be assumed to change later and doesn't matter.

At this point with how many mobile game mechanics they keep creeping in, I say why not. Accelerate the implementation. Instead of slow cooking players, why not just let loose with it. Warframe Riven Mods would hardly be a problem, especially when many vocal players have the argument of "you don't need Rivens".

• Like 3

On 2023-06-24 at 3:06 PM, (NSW)Fmc89 said:

Rivens goal was to balance the usage of weapons, so old/weaker ones would get higher satts, while more advanced weapons or more popular ones would get weak rivens

The equivalent to this is already in the game, it's the helmith system.
While the buffs are the same for any warframe, the likelyhood of the warframes appearing is not. A grendel player will receive these weekly buffs more often than a saryn, this shifts the usage to be less on some warframes and more on others

1 hour ago, Voltage said:

And yet after said promise they added Helminth Invigorations. The only word DE has held true to is Founders items. Everything else can be assumed to change later and doesn't matter.

At this point with how many mobile game mechanics they keep creeping in, I say why not. Accelerate the implementation. Instead of slow cooking players, why not just let loose with it. Warframe Riven Mods would hardly be a problem, especially when many vocal players have the argument of "you don't need Rivens".

Honestly Voltage,
I am getting tired of the way you've been acting recently. In the past I always found your posts very constructive and well thought out. Your posts were very beneficial to the game and this community. But lately you've been acting like a grumpy stuck up old man, who hates everything. I am not telling you how to behave. You are free to do whatever you want, but I don't have a problem to tell you that you've changed.

"So many mobile game mechanics. Niiieeeegh!!!" You mean in a game that was selling revives for plat at the begining? The game never changed. You've changed.

1 hour ago, Cerikus said:

Honestly Voltage,
I am getting tired of the way you've been acting recently. In the past I always found your posts very constructive and well thought out. Your posts were very beneficial to the game and this community. But lately you've been acting like a grumpy stuck up old man, who hates everything. I am not telling you how to behave. You are free to do whatever you want, but I don't have a problem to tell you that you've changed.

I've always been a "doomer". If you haven't noticed that until "recently", there's not much I can do for you. I've never changed, and my pessimism is always strong. The way I express positive feedback is by simply playing the game and not writing about it here unless to reference it to write contrary to a bad decision (like I have done since Lua's Prey in regards to Conjunction Survival which I quite enjoyed). I use the Forums purely as a means of documentation on issues with the game as text stays around for years as reference material as well as a means of poking fun at certain topics. I see that as an educational benefit. I don't think my attitude towards the topics I make or take part in is that of a model citizen. I'm a young adult working his 40 hours a week like most other people who just wants the game I enjoy to improve on itself. I want Warframe to strive forward learning from previous blunders and reinforce itself as a good game built off where it has come from and continue to respect those roots, as well as reflecting on success stories and obstacles faced over the years. I'm also easily influenced by sunk cost fallacy and FOMO, and this has caused me to be a whale in Warframe and ignore 99% of any video game release since I started playing Warframe. If I'm going to be missing out on a bunch of stuff, then I see no point in playing a game based around the rewards it has within them. At that point I may as well just enjoy well made YouTube videos and Twitch streams on games that look fun, so that I can view a good experience without any of the associated problems.

If you really feel this strongly, there is this handy feature: https://forums.warframe.com/ignore/.

1 hour ago, Cerikus said:

"So many mobile game mechanics. Niiieeeegh!!!" You mean in a game that was selling revives for plat at the begining? The game never changed. You've changed.

The same game that removed said feature when it had more of a backbone when sized up to the rest of the industry. Regal Aya, Archon Shards, excessive time-gating, Teshin's Cave Offerings in the Market, and so many other things have been stuffed into the game to the point where something like Warframe Rivens feels like it's not that big of a deal anymore. Holding onto a promise from an era where Riven Mods were the worst and only offender of this gear randomization doesn't really apply anymore. Steel Path Circuit is a very different time if you happen to roll the right gear while also benefitting from an Invigoration. Atleast if it were confined to a Riven Mod, you would own that power yourself and could make Platinum for your account from it if you wanted.

If we're seeing a slow creep of these things, then either address the overall situation or just accelerate all the way. Slow cooking the existing players with these features and the lack of communication on this direction isn't a great place to be. DE would do everyone a favor if they really nailed down this trend to work towards making it less asinine or just burned it to the ground so people can get a definitive notion to quit and not waste time or money on a shell of previous champion.

Edited by Voltage
  • Like 4