Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solution for onboarding players to new content

Anmorata_Armitage

My suggestion is instead of pay to skip.  Is to simply provide a borrowed cycled loadout to new content. A set of 5 frames like Duviri and a set of weapons pre modded to do the content.  Everything tuned to be just enough to get by.  Than users can use those premades to complete new story content and recieve the rewards.   It might not be the best overall or smoothest experience but it will let people in.  No one has to pay this way and anyone can access any content regardless of what they have.

The "pay to skip" button doesn't restrict new players from the content. It allow new players to skip the grind. The very long grind DE threw at the player to slow down progress in the first place. It's paying to skip all the Syndicate grind DE put up for the last 10 years. All the story content is easy access with little to no difficulty.

hace 1 minuto, (PSN)jaggerwanderer dijo:

The "pay to skip" button doesn't restrict new players from the content. It allow new players to skip the grind. The very long grind DE threw at the player to slow down progress in the first place. It's paying to skip all the Syndicate grind DE put up for the last 10 years. All the story content is easy access with little to no difficulty.

It's funny and sad that what keeps players farming makes new players leave.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, (XBOX)Hellsteeth30 said:

Getting rid of the mastery tests would help them more.

Yeah, give them A for effort. And buch of pop up achievements for breathing like in mobile games.

5 minutes ago, (XBOX)Hellsteeth30 said:

No need for those to exist at all.

I guess you do not like being tested. Those are necesary to test your game knowledge or skill. You can cheese plenty of them. If not all.

They also provide sense of accompllishment, once you rank up.

• Like 1

Why would I want to be tested after several days of grind?  Don't you dare EA me.

Since when was there a fail state anywhere in the game for not hitting orbs fast enough?  

Or fail state for being detected?  Aside from New War.

You people will defend any level of trash.  I don't feel accomplished at any point, it's just something in my way.

I'd ignore them entirely if it would stop reminding me with big glowy text.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, (XBOX)Hellsteeth30 said:

No need for those to exist at all.

Agreed, but only in that there's no need for anything in the game to exist, since it's a game full of artificial stuff imagined from the ground up.  It's all for the sake of entertainment.

I can only speak for myself, but I've enjoyed the Mastery Tests; they're all like little puzzles to solve, and I have felt a certain sense of accomplishment from passing them.  But I'm the kind of player who likes puzzles; I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

vor 13 Minuten schrieb (XBOX)Hellsteeth30:

Why would I want to be tested after several days of grind?  Don't you dare EA me.

Since when was there a fail state anywhere in the game for not hitting orbs fast enough?  

Or fail state for being detected?  Aside from New War.

You people will defend any level of trash.  I don't feel accomplished at any point, it's just something in my way.

I'd ignore them entirely if it would stop reminding me with big glowy text.

So these tests are a laughing stock.
A few years ago I couldn't do it at all without a YouTube video and a specific build. but I had all the content on farm status. rofl?

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Anmorata_Armitage:

My suggestion is instead of pay to skip.  Is to simply provide a borrowed cycled loadout to new content. A set of 5 frames like Duviri and a set of weapons pre modded to do the content.  Everything tuned to be just enough to get by.  Than users can use those premades to complete new story content and recieve the rewards.   It might not be the best overall or smoothest experience but it will let people in.  No one has to pay this way and anyone can access any content regardless of what they have.

also sentinel with good weapon, enemy radar and AUTO LOOT!!! if it's still not there!!
plus (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT) ranged weapon with unlimited ammo! Because the embarrassing and pointless nerfs have ruined many weapons with ammunition.

Edited by Venus-Venera

2 hours ago, CosoMalvadoNG said:

It's funny and sad that what keeps players farming makes new players leave.

It makes sense though; there's a threshold at which anything "fun" becomes "work".  Like, if you gave me a piece of cake, heck yeah, I would like to eat that, thank you.  But if you tell me I need to eat 20 whole cakes before I can do X, suddenly I'm not having a good time, especially if I'm not in the mood for cake but am in the mood for X.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Venus-Venera said:

A few years ago I couldn't do it at all without a YouTube video and a specific build

Ok look, I agree that MR tests have totally failed in their purpose, but if you couldn't beat them without someone holding your hand every step that's a genuine skill issue on your part

• Like 2

Yeah and then you have players at the current "end-game" of content with their tutorial gear, a tiny pile of quest rewards, and virtually no mods or resources to their name. Meanwhile they get teased with all this other gear that's tucked away in various parts of the game and rug pulling players like that is just going to make them feel "forced" to spend money to get the items back.

It's far simpler and will feel less predatory to just make it a paid option that dumps them at the end of the road with permanent gear. Y'know just like how all the game's current monetization works.

• Like 1

I think this is a good idea and suggestion. Just that I don't necessarily think this is the exact issue DE is trying to remedy with their current ideas to target address certain specific problems. I think some people are hearing about what they are trying to do, but not necessarily that everyone is on the same page as to what the issue is, thus their solutions are a bit mixed. (This can also apply to criticisms people have as well, people can misunderstand and address criticism inaccurately because of mixed understandings). 

Compare the idea of making something easier, so a person can feel like they are making progress faster, in such a way that outpaces potential frustrations, to the idea of a player wanting to engage in a social hobby with a friends on new content. Or the idea of monetisation as disincentive, versus the idea of monetisation as an incentive/motivator. A lot of people are rightly critical of the pay element, so many solutions/are suggestions are to try and remove that, because if you view the situation as the latter, that may feel gross (both can feel gross, but there are still differences). Forma is an example of the latter more so, the way its set up. You can get forma for free, but its time gated, via Foundry craft timers. Forma can also greatly increase the effectiveness and power of guns and Warframes. Often a reason why many people play the game, getting more Warframes, having fun with them, shooting things. Thus you are very encouraged to both spend money/Plat to get Forma, even so much so, there is even a bundle for it, which makes you encouraged to buy it in "bulk". Also, to constantly be building it in your Foundry. Which requires playing the game and unlocking Relics to get the blueprints... Which is time and engagement. Forma is pretty successful in this regard from what DE have spoke of it. 

What can stump some players more though, is a game using monetisation as a disincentive. Since on a surface level, it might not make sense. Putting aside whether I personally agree or disagree or views on any singular variable regarding the idea, its long term engagement that DE most likely wants from players. This is likely, what they also generally believe, as the best way to monetise the game overall, under FTP model. So in this sense, for multiple reasons, rather people all go through the game as current, and building up attachment and engagement. Current and future, for financial reasons. However.. not all people are like us in the Forums. The "Forum" of people who downloaded and started Warframe and will start Warframe and leave a few hours later, is far, far, far larger than we ever will be. Its not necessarily about making it easier for them, and there are a lot of different reasons why this is, as it is too, worthy of suggestions, criticisms, ideas for improvement etc Also means, some of DE's ideas to counter this, may seem... Also to be clear, I am speculating a little. I don't know if the monetisation present is truthfully a disincentivising measure, its also not for altruistic reasons either, ultimately its still about financial success, but engaging with the game and spending time on it, is also that too. Its more about trying to reach and catch a whole set and group of other types of people (as opposed to making it a bit easier for people who may already be willing to progress through such a game). 

17 hours ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

Only a specific small part of the grind is skipped, and only for a brief moment. They still need to go back in order to farm every single item that is not tied to quests, otherwise they wont have access to the better items that require higher MR, since they wont get enough MR by only grinding the latest content. Chances are also that they wont be able to use the items from the latest content except for those potentially awared for quest completion, since those tied to a mode may very well have a MR requirement that the skippers have yet to achieve.

And I think few would pay to skip in order to play the story, they'll likely skip in order to play the latest content without knowing it is practically only a quest. Since it makes zero sense to pay to skip the story in order to play the story that they have zero knowledge about or investment in. It's like subcribing to a streaming service when a TV-show season has ended and then watch the last few episodes while skipping the rest.