Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What does it mean for a Warframe to reproduce or multiply? (blame Steve for bringing this up)

(XBOX)Architect Prime

7 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

It's true that the actual construction of frames from blueprints is pretty vague. But since every faction isn't making them, there must be some non-machine element that only the Tenno and Ballas have access to. 

Mind you that when we build new Warframes at our foundry we are mostly constructing the technological bits. Systems, Neuro optics and chassis, all things that would go inside the flesh puppet. 

It's most likely the helminth that is responsible for providing the infested flesh body... or... perhaps using the helminth virus to corrupt a fresh body.

"It is revealed during The Sacrifice by Executor Ballas that the Helminth was created by the Orokin to convert human subjects into Infested-hybrids, giving birth to Warframes. According to Ballas' Vitruvian, when a subject is exposed to a Helminth strain, it transforms their skin into sword-steel, as well as interlinking their internal organs with untold resilience, while at the same time preventing the same infestation from completely destroying their mind"

- Warframe wiki

Really makes me think about how the "Warframes" in those cryo pods we defend look just like normal people. They even put them in a fridge to keep them nice and fresh for us.

Edited by Grizzmoe

They're infested at base, so I assume it'd work in one of two ways:

1: A Warframe infects a host with their unique strain of Helminth. This produces a new variant of the same Warframe, with slightly different abilities - similar to how Excalibur Umbra is distinct from the baseline Excalibur series, with distinctions that tie him directly to his Dax origins.

2: A collection of Warframes deposit a fraction (presumably very small) of their Technocyte (Helminth?) mass into a pile together. When fed with mass (not biomass, Helminth eats metal just fine), the creature grows into a new Warframe, with capabilites that blend those of their parents. Notably, I doubt this would be limited to just two 'parents'.

In either case, this would suggest that the tamed virulence of the Helmith strain was no longer applicable, which would inevitably result in the destruction of the Origin system unless the initial infection hub was destroyed. Though notably, this would probably resemble a Xenomorph invasion, with a smaller number of extremely powerful hosts that capture humans to be used as hosts or added to the mass of new creations as distinct from the Infestations more zombie plague type deal, which spreads more like a disease.

Mamma frame donates some DNA in the fun-room and pappa frame then inserts his special bits into the DNA primed wall cooch. After which the eggtimer is set and mamma and pappa frame waits for the product to get done. If pleased by the outcome the thing is kept, if not, well atleast the pets will eat well.

11 minutes ago, Raarsi said:

Inb4 we get a recording of Ballas bringing it up and responding with "now why the hell would I want that?"

Anyway, now to get my brain off the mental image of the washing machine bits from Robot Chicken.

maywa denki robot GIF

I hate how vividly that scene immediately came back to me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sporthand said:

Why do you hate babies? We all grow from infants.
That could be a great idea for WF from my perspective as this video.

they're stinky and smelly, look weird, cry all of the time, etc. doesn't quite fit into the theme of warframe where you have cosmic horrors mutilating hordes of enemies without rest.

Okay, I'm back with new conclusions after having been taught more about biology by my brilliant spouse!

17 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

In the SFW sense, since we're on the forums: If Warframes COULD reproduce, what would the result be? 

1. Baby Warframe? 
  2. Baby Orokin?
  3. Something else like some infested monster?

First things first, Warframes have no biological ties to the Orokin, as Warframes are mutated Dax.  Second, Orokin isn't really a "species" as much as it is a caste of humans who ferried their souls into a variety of normal human bodies and then did things like stretch their arms because they thought that was beautiful.  So multiple reasons here why Orokin isn't a possible outcome.

As far as whether the baby would be a Warframe, a Dax, or an Infested, the answer is actually pretty straightforward now that I understand a bit more about genetics.  Earlier I stated that I thought it was unlikely that a Warframes' genes would have been changed when becoming Warframes, but I was entirely wrong.

Biological creatures' cells are constantly dying and being replaced by new ones, and to perform this process our bodies need to know what new cells to create.  In effect, our genes hold a "blueprint" of what our bodies are, so the information encoded in our genes determines what we continue to be rebuilt as.  To provide a simple visual example, imagine the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  First they were normal turtles, then they were exposed to an ooze that made them a sort of human-turtle hybrid.  If their genes had not been changed, then over time the new cells that replaced their dying cells would be "aimed" at rebuilding them as normal turtles, not humanoid-turtles.  The fact that after years of existence their bodies continue to be humanoid turtles is strong evidence to suggest that the ooze altered the Ninja Turtles' genes.

We can apply the same logic to Warframes: the fact that after decades they continue to take the shape of Warframes suggests that the process that made them Warframes altered their genes. And notably, each flavor of Warframe seems to have a meaningfully different alteration to their genes.  After all, Ember continues to be Ember, but Frost continues to be Frost; it would probably be fair to say that at this point each Warframe is something along the lines of its own species.  So if Warframes are able to reproduce — and that's a big if, as drastic mutations such as these often leave entities infertile — then the resulting offspring would indeed be a Warframe.

1. Nuclear Warframe family or sent to the Lotus (just like your kubrow you monster)? 
  2. Does gender work the same way or is it just Space Magictm?

Since both gender and family structures are social as opposed to biological, there's not much reason to assume any changes from their original Dax way of life.  Though that said, it's entirely possible that Inaros having a handle-bar instead of genitals might lead to new experiences and ideas about gender, family, etc, so it could be interesting to see how such things developed over time.

1. Requires transference to move or fully autonomous? 

Warframes are fully autonomous, as demonstrated in Rhino Prime's codex entry.  It is vaguely implied that they generally choose not to move of their own volition because the Tenno have brought them tranquility.

Anyway, thanks for the fun diversion that lead to me learning a bit more about actual biology!

7 hours ago, Mazifet said:

they're stinky and smelly, look weird, cry all of the time, etc. doesn't quite fit into the theme of warframe where you have cosmic horrors mutilating hordes of enemies without rest.

We all were as a baby, but babies keep growing as being smarter!
Mutilating enemies? Great! Then, we are ready to battle while babies sleep without seeing the atrocious scene in the sanctuary.

On 2023-11-28 at 5:54 PM, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

In the SFW sense, since we're on the forums: If Warframes COULD reproduce, what would the result be? 

1. Baby Warframe? 
  2. Baby Orokin?
  3. Something else like some infested monster?
  4.  C-section required? 
  5. Full nine months or biological oddity?
  6. Nuclear Warframe family or sent to the Lotus (just like your kubrow you monster)? 
  7. Garage sale of baby stuff (not unlike Maroo's bazaar)?
  8. Does gender work the same way or is it just Space Magictm?
  9. Which polarities are inhereted?
  10. Requires transference to move or fully autonomous? 
  11. Would it be a strong enough force to make frame-parents act on their own, and or kick out the operator? 

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

You forgot a question:

Will it have void powers, and if so, will they be based off the parent frame(s) or something entirely unique?