Cross-Platform Save Rollout Information ×

Limiting Cross-Trade is a HUGE mistake! Can't trade with same platform!

9 hours ago, haolee510 said:

There's a workaround with just making a new PC account to "tether" the console account to, just so they could access trading on the console account but still keep their original PC account intact.

Sure, it's more work, but the way everything's set up, no one is absolutely locked out of trading.

Those accounts can only be linked not merged and would lease to losing my pc and xbox accounts(i don't care that much about my switch account). So yeah older players who have played across multiple platforms legit(which i suspect are more then you'd think) have to decide to stay the same or lose at minimum 1 account if not more.

• Like 2

On 2024-01-10 at 8:53 PM, Naarith said:

This wording is so confusing DE. They should have made a flow chart with on who can trade with who. I work in Mechanical engineering and this is confusing. 

Trading Variables:

If Cross Platform Play is enabled & Cross Platform Save is enabled…

• Trade with all Cross Platform Save players.

If Cross Platform Play is enabled & Cross Platform Save is disabled…

• PC: trade with PC and Cross Platform Save enabled players
  • Non-PC Platforms: trade with Cross Platform Save disabled players on your platform

If Cross Platform Play is disabled & Cross Platform Save is enabled…

• PC: trade with any PC players
  • Non-PC Platforms: trade with Cross Platform Save enabled players on your platform

If Cross Platform Play is disabled & Cross Platform Save is disabled…

• PC: trade with any PC players
  • Non-PC Platforms: trade with players on your platform who also have Cross Platform Save disabled

Agreed on the confusing part.  The two big things that are easy to miss:
1) it tells you who you can trade with - leaving who you can NOT trade with out - sure an assumption, but for clarity they should have said "Trade ONLY with ..."
2) using the word "enabled" for both cross play and cross save  is misleading - because one you can toggle between enabled and disabled state.. the other is a permanent switch. There is no toggle.

3)  the fact that NON cross save pc accounts can trade with both pc and crosssave anything, whereas console players who are not crosssave can't trade with console+crosssave feels discriminator LOL.

I did cross save SOLELY because I wanted to merge (not just link) my accounts, and they indicated it was a limited time offer, that would not be available in the future without any clear guidance on when that opiton would not be available - so I felt like I had to jump now.  I admit I didn't read the fine consvoluted trading flows, but rather assumed I would continue to be able to trade with my clan (on console) as I set that as the primary account.. but now I'm locked out of trading with them.. And they don't have pc accounts, and may not create one at all.. 

Its incredibly frustrating as clan leader to not be able to trade with ones entire clan, not be able to help new players, not be able to gift to them etc..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tucker_d_dawg said:

Its incredibly frustrating as clan leader to not be able to trade with ones entire clan, not be able to help new players, not be able to gift to them etc..

Exactly

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sorrior said:

Those accounts can only be linked not merged and would lease to losing my pc and xbox accounts(i don't care that much about my switch account). So yeah older players who have played across multiple platforms legit(which i suspect are more then you'd think) have to decide to stay the same or lose at minimum 1 account if not more.

But you don't have to actually lose them, you simply don't merge or link them at all if you don't want to lose them.

• Like 1

On 2024-01-12 at 7:19 PM, haolee510 said:

But you don't have to actually lose them, you simply don't merge or link them at all if you don't want to lose them.

In which case you get an ever increasingly smaller amount of the playerbase you can trade with. As more people join and more and more people create cross save/pc accounts and more people leave there will be fewer and fewer players able to trade with you.

It may not seem like such a big deal rn but longterm this is going to hurt many of the longtime players/supporters of the game and does feel like punishing us for using services before cross save was even said to be possible. To say nothing of the original faq saying nothing of this limitation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toom-Deluxe said:

I lost over 5.000 PL because i cant trade with same Platform .... i hate it and nobody understand this .... big Problem

I'm still waiting on acknowledgement of this huge problem from DE. They are going to claim that it was explained and this is how it was suppose to work and I see no way for them to fix it because their "fake" cross-save is just permanently coverts you to a PC account and it's PC accounts interacting with eachother in the background even if you're playing on PlayStation or Xbox, its just accessing your PC account. So there no way to fix this problem as PC accounts can't trade with console accounts.

I feel very tricked as his was billed as the solution to trade with everyone and not only trade with PC and console in players that enable cross-save. Not being able to trade with 90% of my clan and alliance has been horrible. 

Also people are going to say, it's just a matter of time and as more people turn on cross-save, you'll have more people to trade with. But that doesn't solve the problem. There are lots of people that have no interest in cross-save and don't want to activate it and now especially in my own clan and alliance and I can no longer give them stuff or gift things to them.

• Like 3

On 2024-01-16 at 7:06 PM, crow5716 said:

I'm still waiting on acknowledgement of this huge problem from DE. They are going to claim that it was explained and this is how it was suppose to work and I see no way for them to fix it because their "fake" cross-save is just permanently coverts you to a PC account and it's PC accounts interacting with eachother in the background even if you're playing on PlayStation or Xbox, its just accessing your PC account. So there no way to fix this problem as PC accounts can't trade with console accounts.

I feel very tricked as his was billed as the solution to trade with everyone and not only trade with PC and console in players that enable cross-save. Not being able to trade with 90% of my clan and alliance has been horrible. 

Also people are going to say, it's just a matter of time and as more people turn on cross-save, you'll have more people to trade with. But that doesn't solve the problem. There are lots of people that have no interest in cross-save and don't want to activate it and now especially in my own clan and alliance and I can no longer give them stuff or gift things to them.

Yep.

On 2024-01-12 at 1:48 PM, Sorrior said:

I honestly have no idea how this was even an option to begin with. It’s awful. 

if cross-save involves deleting a non cloned account, I’m not doing it ever.

• Like 2

I did get confused when I got this error message while trying to trade with a fellow Tenno. I always thought it was saying that we need to both enable cross save in the system settings. However that was not the case. I personally do not mind not being able to trade with people who have no activated the feature, however I can see how frustrating (because for me I just did not know what the message was talking about).

• Like 2

There isn't anything really being limited about cross-platform trading, save for maybe the Platinum related stuff with Switch accounts and the fact that the cross-save system is being updated (and therefore not open to all users at the immediate moment). In the limits of the first case, that's probably a Nintendo specific issue and probably won't change, and in the case of the second, that will resolve once the system is re-opened for users.

As for a few scenarios and their respective solutions:

Scenario A: A player on console X who has cross-save set up and cross-play enabled wants to trade with a player on console Y, who doesn't have cross-save set up and/or cross-play enabled

Solution: Player on console Y will need to set up cross-save through the account management page and/or enable cross-play in their in-game settings; this can be done by creating a PC account on the spot (you can even use the same e-mail address used for your console account) and then linking their console and brand-new PC account, while making sure to set their console account as your primary account (so that its progress and data is used for the cross-save account). Then player Y will need to enable cross-play in their in-game settings. After doing so, both players can engage in trading.

Scenario B: A player on console X wants to trade with a player on (a different) console Y, and neither of them have cross-save enabled.

Solution: Both players need to set up cross-save, and can do so by both creating fresh PC accounts (using their console account e-mails if they wish) and then linking their console accounts, and setting their console accounts as the main/primary accounts through the account management interface. Once this is done, they both need to enable cross-play in their in-game settings, and then they will be able to trade with one another.

Scenario C: A player on console X, who has a PC account already but does not want to link their accounts because it will overwrite/delete one account's data (presumably because one or both accounts are not eligible for the separate account merge), wants to trade with a player on a different platform.

Solution: If the player on console X doesn't want to link their PC account because they don't want to lose their PC account data (presumably because they are not eligible for an account merge, which would combine & save data from both merged accounts), they can instead create a fresh PC account to link to their console account instead. This will result in said player owning a Cross-Save account, and a separate PC account, both of which can then trade with other cross-save accounts regardless of the platform said account is being used on.

In summary - Nothing is stopping users from creating a fresh 'sacrificial' PC account to link with a console account to convert said console account into a cross-save account. If you have accounts on more than one console/platform and don't want to link and overwrite console accounts on different platforms so you don't lose progress on one or the other, you can create a PC account for each console account and link them separately... Sure, you'll then have 2 or maybe 3 separate accounts with their own progress kept separate, but they'll all be cross-save accounts and able to trade with any platform, provided the person on the other platform has also converted their account to a cross-save one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Letter13 said:

There isn't anything really being limited about cross-platform trading, save for maybe the Platinum related stuff with Switch accounts and the fact that the cross-save system is being updated (and therefore not open to all users at the immediate moment). In the limits of the first case, that's probably a Nintendo specific issue and probably won't change, and in the case of the second, that will resolve once the system is re-opened for users.

As for a few scenarios and their respective solutions:

Scenario A: A player on console X who has cross-save set up and cross-play enabled wants to trade with a player on console Y, who doesn't have cross-save set up and/or cross-play enabled

Solution: Player on console Y will need to set up cross-save through the account management page and/or enable cross-play in their in-game settings; this can be done by creating a PC account on the spot (you can even use the same e-mail address used for your console account) and then linking their console and brand-new PC account, while making sure to set their console account as your primary account (so that its progress and data is used for the cross-save account). Then player Y will need to enable cross-play in their in-game settings. After doing so, both players can engage in trading.

Scenario B: A player on console X wants to trade with a player on (a different) console Y, and neither of them have cross-save enabled.

Solution: Both players need to set up cross-save, and can do so by both creating fresh PC accounts (using their console account e-mails if they wish) and then linking their console accounts, and setting their console accounts as the main/primary accounts through the account management interface. Once this is done, they both need to enable cross-play in their in-game settings, and then they will be able to trade with one another.

Scenario C: A player on console X, who has a PC account already but does not want to link their accounts because it will overwrite/delete one account's data (presumably because one or both accounts are not eligible for the separate account merge), wants to trade with a player on a different platform.

Solution: If the player on console X doesn't want to link their PC account because they don't want to lose their PC account data (presumably because they are not eligible for an account merge, which would combine & save data from both merged accounts), they can instead create a fresh PC account to link to their console account instead. This will result in said player owning a Cross-Save account, and a separate PC account, both of which can then trade with other cross-save accounts regardless of the platform said account is being used on.

In summary - Nothing is stopping users from creating a fresh 'sacrificial' PC account to link with a console account to convert said console account into a cross-save account. If you have accounts on more than one console/platform and don't want to link and overwrite console accounts on different platforms so you don't lose progress on one or the other, you can create a PC account for each console account and link them separately... Sure, you'll then have 2 or maybe 3 separate accounts with their own progress kept separate, but they'll all be cross-save accounts and able to trade with any platform, provided the person on the other platform has also converted their account to a cross-save one.

The problem is that 2 players that have been playing together for years both on the same console can no longer trade if one of them turns on cross-save.

Some people don't want to convert their accounts to PC accounts so they are now stuck not being able to trade with their friends on their own platform that they've been trading with for years. What is your smarty solution for the people that don't want to buy in to the fake "cross-save" and want to leave their account is as native PlayStation or Xbox accounts. How are they suppose to trade with the same platform people they've been trading with for the past 10 years?

Edited by crow5716
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, crow5716 said:

The problem is that 2 players that have been playing together for years both on the same console can no longer trade if one of them turns on cross-save.

Some people don't want to convert their accounts to PC accounts so they are now stuck not being able to trade with their friends on their own platform that they've been trading with for years. What is your smarty solution for the people that don't want to buy in to the fake "cross-save" and want to leave their account is as native PlayStation or Xbox accounts. How are they suppose to trade with the same platform people they've been trading with for the past 10 years?

You don’t. That’s the big oversight here. Everyone who chooses not to participate in this will be segregated into a shrinking pool of players that will only ever be able to interact with each other at least in regards to trading.

This most definitely limits the pool of players you’ll be able to trade with.

just how much this will segregate players is yet to be determined, but it is happening.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, crow5716 said:

There's nothing stopping the other player from converting their account to a cross save one too.

Some people don't want to convert their accounts to PC accounts

There's literally no reason not to create a cross-save account, as I mentioned in my post. If they have a PC account they don't want to overwrite by linking their console account, they can simply make a new PC account and link to that one, thereby enabling cross-save without losing anything; they can now play on any platform with their console account.

What is your smarty solution for the people that don't want to buy in to the fake "cross-save" and want to leave their account is as native PlayStation or Xbox accounts.

That is entirely their prerogative, but so is shooting oneself in the foot. At this point, this 'limitation' you're describing is entirely self-imposed. It's a case of 'Leopards ate my face.'

How are they suppose to trade with the same platform people they've been trading with for the past 10 years?

Easy, by creating a PC account, linking it to their console account, setting their console account as their primary account. You don't even need to own a PC to do it. You can do it entirely from your phone, or your console's web browser.

1 hour ago, MinimumWageMage said:

You don’t. That’s the big oversight here. Everyone who chooses not to participate in this will be segregated into a shrinking pool of players that will only ever be able to interact with each other at least in regards to trading.

This most definitely limits the pool of players you’ll be able to trade with.

just how much this will segregate players is yet to be determined, but it is happening.

If self-imposed isolation by opting out of a new feature is segregation, then sure, let's call it segregation. There's no advantage to opting out of cross-save, and so long as one has a smartphone, or even a console that can open a web browser, there's nothing preventing them from creating a PC account and linking it to their console; they're not going to lose any progress, items or currency so long as they set their console account as their primary account.

"But if I enable cross-save, I can't trade with my friends" ... except that yes, you can. Just walk your friends through enabling cross-save as well.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Letter13 said:

There's nothing stopping the other player from converting their account to a cross save one too.

There's literally no reason not to create a cross-save account, as I mentioned in my post. If they have a PC account they don't want to overwrite by linking their console account, they can simply make a new PC account and link to that one, thereby enabling cross-save without losing anything; they can now play on any platform with their console account.

That is entirely their prerogative, but so is shooting oneself in the foot. At this point, this 'limitation' you're describing is entirely self-imposed. It's a case of 'Leopards ate my face.'

Easy, by creating a PC account, linking it to their console account, setting their console account as their primary account. You don't even need to own a PC to do it. You can do it entirely from your phone, or your console's web browser.

If self-imposed isolation by opting out of a new feature is segregation, then sure, let's call it segregation. There's no advantage to opting out of cross-save, and so long as one has a smartphone, or even a console that can open a web browser, there's nothing preventing them from creating a PC account and linking it to their console; they're not going to lose any progress, items or currency so long as they set their console account as their primary account.

"But if I enable cross-save, I can't trade with my friends" ... except that yes, you can. Just walk your friends through enabling cross-save as well.

There is actually an entire forum full of reasons why not to do cross save at this very moment. Anyone with a smartphone can check that too.

Thanks for not closing this thread too.

• Like 2

So do PC players have to do anything to trade with non-PC users or is this just a concern for anyone who wants to use console? Because I want to trade, but have no need for a console account personally.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MekaDovah said:

So do PC players have to do anything to trade with non-PC users or is this just a concern for anyone who wants to use console? Because I want to trade, but have no need for a console account personally.

This is also a very good question.

Presumably you would have to enable cross save to trade with anyone on a separate platform. They would also have to enable it too.

Otherwise you can only trade with players on the same platform as your account (PC for you) that HAVE NOT enabled cross save.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MinimumWageMage said:

Presumably you would have to enable cross save to trade with anyone on a separate platform. They would also have to enable it too.

Otherwise you can only trade with players on the same platform as your account (PC for you) that HAVE NOT enabled cross save.

I was looking on my account page to figure out how and the only option was to link to another account I don't have and don't need.

I don't really mind if we all have to enable it, but I keep finding conflicting information and unclear instructions and it's rather confusing. Having to make an otherwise useless account to cross trade in general seems needlessly convoluted.

Edited by MekaDovah
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MekaDovah said:

I was looking on my account page to figure out how and the only option was to link to another account I don't have and don't need.

I don't really mind if we all have to enable it, but I keep finding conflicting information and unclear instructions and it's rather confusing. Having to make an otherwise useless account to cross trade in general seems needlessly convoluted.

Agreed it is convoluted. As far as I’m aware, if you have no console accounts and just a PC account, you are required to do “linking” in order to participate in the cross save and cross trading.

• Like 1

vor 37 Minuten schrieb MekaDovah:

As a PC player you already have a cross safe acc, so you can trade with all cross safe acc's too but not with console players who dosen't have cross safe aktivated.

vor 29 Minuten schrieb MinimumWageMage:

on PC you only have to enable cross-play

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LuckyNecro said:

As a PC player you already have a cross safe acc, so you can trade with all cross safe acc's too but not with console players who dosen't have cross safe aktivated.

on PC you only have to enable cross-play

Interesting. Alright, thanks.

• Like 2

So what I'm getting is this is a matter of players "catching up with the times". I'm hoping as cross save gets more polished DE will put out word that people need to take a few minutes out of their day to set this up. Maybe make a simplified set of instructions to help people out. I didn't have a problem setting it up for myself or helping my friends on multiple platforms but different folks I suppose.

• Like 2

I'm really on the fence about this. I've been playing on Playstation for a while. When I got a PC finally, 6 years ago, I was saddened I couldn't play on my account while I was in the Navy without a playstation. So I fell away from the game.

When this became available, I was so quick to jump on that bandwagon but immediately regretted it since I can't trade with the 2 people I actually play with now. Yes, they can make coss save enabled PC accounts... but had I known before that this cross save stuff was going to keep us from trading... I wouldn't have done it the day we farmed Gauss Prime stuff. Lol

It's nice to see just how much smoother the game runs on a 6 year old laptop with a 1060 than a PS5... I mean... that's pretty bad that the console version is just that jank.

• Like 3

hace 17 horas, Letter13 dijo:

There's literally no reason not to create a cross-save account

My friend ever only play in PSN and they don't want to create anything for themselves, they want to keep playing and trading with each other players without having to do anything. Impositions are not welcome among some players. It´s easy to understand.

• Like 1