Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Feature Request: Option to add Preferred Pronouns to in game profile, and option to disply publicly when in a hub, relay, or dojo.

ShilohCorgsky

I trade a bunch in-game, and it's frustrating the number of tenno that assume I'm a male (which I am not) and reply with "Bro", "Dude", or "Man". Which, while usually coming after a thank you and meant to be nice and courteous end up being distressing and frustrating because of the misgendering, through no fault of either party.

I would love to see a way for us to be able to choose to add preferred pronouns into our in-game profile, preferably with a toggle to publicly display them under or next to the account name when in a hub (like Zariman, Sanctum Anatomica, Cetus, etc.) relay, or dojo.

Being misgendered sucks, but when there isn't a way to try and stop it, it sucks even worse.

Thank you :)

• Like 3

I mean, "dude" has been basically gender neutral since the early 2000s, and both "bro" and "man" have been gender neutral in videogames for at least a decade now, but I suppose they are still predominantly masculine-leaning.

I get misgendered on occasion, and it doesn't particularly bother me all that much, but we are two different people.

Having it pop up in hubs seems a bit intrusive. Having it appear in Private Chats and Team Chats might be better. Less intrusive as a general thing (most people don't particularly care about the gender identity of the strangers they walk past after all), but still relevant for when it matters (such as during and after a mission and for trade purposes.

Making it a personal toggle as to whether other people can see it is also a pretty good suggestion. I imagine most people probably won't actually make use of the function, and there will likely be people that straight up ignore it even from other people (intentionally or not), but if it helps one person, then it's a little win, right?

• Like 5

A seemingly harmless request at first, innit?

But what will happen when people still address you by those words that are so common nowadays that they really shouldn't be taken ad literam (as well pointed by Marak) but as friendly banter? Having your preferred pronouns show up won't necessarily change for the better or in a desirable way the way people refers to you.
Will you start to report players for misgendering when having a bad day? May say "of course not" now, but we aren't ourselves sometimes.
Or maybe others will after getting their more peculiar ones set up, which not everyone is willing to deal with.

Do you realise what a pit of hideous intentions could this "harmless addition" create by giving trolls, on either end of the non-pronouns or pro-pronouns side, a new weapon to use? And you'll say "oh but the staff members - sometimes - have them show during Prime time and stuff!", and yes, they do, doesn't change the fact it's a double-edged sword.

Just work a bit more on yourself not being annoyed by people not knowing your gender in a game.
I believe you are an adult and mature enough not to be bothered by such a trivial thing.
Are you?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ShilohCorgsky said:

I trade a bunch in-game, and it's frustrating the number of tenno that assume I'm a male (which I am not) and reply with "Bro", "Dude", or "Man". Which, while usually coming after a thank you and meant to be nice and courteous end up being distressing and frustrating because of the misgendering, through no fault of either party.

I would love to see a way for us to be able to choose to add preferred pronouns into our in-game profile, preferably with a toggle to publicly display them under or next to the account name when in a hub (like Zariman, Sanctum Anatomica, Cetus, etc.) relay, or dojo.

Being misgendered sucks, but when there isn't a way to try and stop it, it sucks even worse.

Thank you :)

There is a way. You change your PS/PC profile name to Ms/Mrs ShilohCorgsky. Warframe just pulls whatever you chose as your profile name into the game, so it's up to you to make the change you're looking for.

I get where you're coming from, but yeah, Dude at the very least is kinda gender neutral at this point. A lot of people would straight up ignore it if it was shown somewhere and you might even get people saying the wrong thing to purposefully be a troll. We certainly have enough of those who post the same tired memes and garbage in chat hour after hour. Having a name that's a traditionally gendered and would appear to be self evident to those familiar with whatever culture is a gentler way to suggest a way to be addressed. Or people can add Mr/Ms/Mrs as @MYKK678 suggests.

And sometimes it will still be ignored because we're all pixels in a game and some people barely pay attention to what's going on around them.

• Like 1

(As a female) I get that it's kinda frustrating that the assumption is that all gamers are male, so usually people speak that way in games without checking -- but I agree with others that things like "hey dude", "bro", "thx man" are generally seen as gender neutral (and have been for quite some time in gaming), and I personally appreciate the attemtp at a more friendly interaction that adding in a "dude" or "bro" gives.

I think it would be annoying extra clutter if they were prominent, and having them shown only in the profile almost guarantees nobody will look for and use them, but I honestly think that if they were there, then it's more likely they would be used against a player, rather than being a benefit.

Can you imagine what would happen if you squad up with randoms and your profile is announcing you as a female?   While Warframe is one of the most polite/inclusive online games I've played, there are still toxic players about and I can't imagine that on the whole announcing you're a female to everyone being any benefit to a female player at all.

As a female gamer, I generally prefer not to advertise my gender to fellow players, because in my experience that's more likely to invite a certain kind of interaction that I DEFINITELY do not want.  So I'm willing to put up with being referred to as "he" sometimes, to avoid having creepy people message me or assume I'm a terrible player because I'm a girl.

(I am a terrible player, but that's because I am a terrible player in addition to being a girl :D )

• Like 1

Lived in Florida my whole life. Surf, skateboard, blades. Trust me, dude is gender neutral.

I have never and will never say Bro to anyone. Not my time period.

Also, don't know anyone who bothers to look at other's profiles.

• Like 1

I'd support this idea. Right now the player's clan name is displayed under their account name in hubs, which I don't think is super useful (gone are the days when big competitive clans were popular). This space could easily be used to display pronouns or another piece of identifying information if the player so chooses, and wouldn't be that intrusive. I don't see any real downsides – although some have brought up a risk of increased harassment, ideally you would quickly block/report them and leave the session were you to encounter such behaviour.