Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let's Talk About 1999 Saryn

Aerikx

So Tennocon...

Major Necri Rusalka...

Anyone else notice that her body and outfit mirror Saryn? That she also appears to be able to spew that toxic 1999 substance. 

The excitement I have knowing that we'll have 'Evil' Warframe variants in 1999 is beyond exciting. (Credit to DE as that also allows them to spread doubt the roster without making Arthur's group OP and unstoppable as all hell).

But the ramifications of having an EVIL Saryn! That's beyond exciting. 

What other 1999 Warframe could be evil I wonder? Valkyr? Ash (this would break my heart though), Rhino, most definitely Nidus.

• Like 4

She resembles Saryn, her name is also the name of a mission node on Sedna which is the planet you get Saryn from, she's part of a faction that wields toxins, and they gave away Saryn Prime during the segment Major Rusalka was in. That's a lot of coincidences.

• Like 14

When the Proto Frames are introduced, it explicitly calls out which frame they are.  Rusalka gets a similar introduction, but instead of a frame it lists that she has an "Effervon Harness".  Because of this, I think any similarity to Saryn is a coincidence.  And personally, even looking for it, I don't really see the resemblance.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

When the Proto Frames are introduced, it explicitly calls out which frame they are.  Rusalka gets a similar introduction, but instead of a frame it lists that she has an "Effervon Harness".  Because of this, I think any similarity to Saryn is a coincidence.  And personally, even looking for it, I don't really see the resemblance.

I'm curious the reasoning for reusing the root name of "Effervo" from the assassination mission in the Entrati Labs to label both the tank and Rusalka.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

They are obviously obscuring the fact its Proto-Saryn. 

Look at her dimensions to Saryn, the uneven leg and arm shapes (one leg is thicker than the other), the bandolier, collar and shoulder armor resemble Saryn's collar/tentacle scarf.

1 hour ago, (NSW)ToadBlue said:

She resembles Saryn, her name is also the name of a mission node on Sedna which is the planet you get Saryn from, she's part of a faction that wields toxins, and they gave away Saryn Prime during the segment Major Rusalka was in. That's a lot of coincidences.

I didn't even pick up on the node or giveaway connection. Good catch!

Edited by Aerikx
Edit: Fixed a nasty typo. ☠️

27 minutes ago, Aerikx said:

They are obviously obscuring the factits Proto-Saryn. 

Look at her dimensions to Saryn, the uneven leg and arm shapes (one leg is thicker than the other), the bandolier, collar and shoulder armor resemble Saryn's collar/tentacle scarf.

I think she’s more likely a Kela De Thaym precursor. Maybe what the Kela batch originates from.

Full size image for comparison

Kela_De_Thaym.png

Edited by (PSN)ClockworkSiren
Link to full size image
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, (PSN)ClockworkSiren said:

Maybe what the Kela batch originates from.

Kela isn't a different batch.

All Grineer are from the same Clone. Female Grineer were made by the Queens.

For context....

The Queens were/are Orokin twins who helped the Grineer gain their freedom from The Orokin. Thus the Grineer made them their Queens.

The Queens then started messing with the Grineer DNA, eventually creating females and all sorts of horrors.

47 minutes ago, Aerikx said:

Kela isn't a different batch.

All Grineer are from the same Clone. Female Grineer were made by the Queens.

For context....

The Queens were/are Orokin twins who helped the Grineer gain their freedom from The Orokin. Thus the Grineer made them their Queens.

The Queens then started messing with the Grineer DNA, eventually creating females and all sorts of horrors.

We see Heavy Gunners in the new opening cinematic

not all Grineer are from the same clone, the Orokin started testing their batches of clones and used the ones that showed prowess in combat situations. You’re thinking of the Lancer synthesis… which is about the progenitor for the Lancer clones used. 

Different pre Old War clones that showed any kind of combat use were used to create a a more military focused Grineer. There’s no lore that I can recall that says the Queens made the female Grineer.

Edited by (PSN)ClockworkSiren
Fixed spelling errors because I’m literally blind lol
  • Like 3

Huh, I hadn't made that connection. That'd be a really neat way to do it, and then they could have the other starters as other antagonists. It'd be Excal (Arthur) / Trinity (Lettie) / Volt (Amir) / Mag (Aoi) / Nyx (Elanor) / Cyte-09 (Quincy) on the "good" side with Hex and Saryn (Rusalka) / Banshee / Ember / Loki / Ash / Rhino / Frost on the "evil" side with Scaldra.

Edit: Also Quincy is Cyte-09, which presumably is short for technocyte-09. So there should be at least 8 others. Right now we only know of 5 (6 if you count Rusalka) so there's definitely room for more proto-frames.

Edited by PublikDomain
  • Like 1

It looks a lot more like 1999's variant of Kela De Thaym to me. Other than that though, I'm pretty sure she's just a totally different character. People are bringing up the name of the gas, but that's a reference to the gas in Dark Sector.

That being said, we don't really know what DE has planned for her so who knows. She could be an antagonist until we beat her and she ends up joining us or something, they pulled an Infested boy band and a romance system on us so nothing's really off the table at this point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, (PSN)ClockworkSiren said:

Different pre Old War clones that showed any kind of combat use were used to create a a more military focused Grineer.

You have to collect all the Kuria. They reveal lore over how the Queens rose to power and messed with the Grineer Genome to make sure they stay loyal, as well as in creating the deviations (female Grineer and etc) but yes. Grineer are all clones of the same dude. 

Multiple lore entries point to this.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Graysmog said:

It looks a lot more like 1999's variant of Kela De Thaym to me. Other than that though, I'm pretty sure she's just a totally different character. People are bringing up the name of the gas, but that's a reference to the gas in Dark Sector.

I originally thought the same thing, with Skaldra being 1999 Grineer but her design is way too Saryn like. 

I could be wrong.

But it seems like that's the direction they are going in.

After all the members of On-Lyne are the Hex. So its looking like Albretch infected them for some reason. 

So odds are, something like that happened to her.

Or....

1999 Kela is the host for 1999 Saryn. 🤔

2 hours ago, Aerikx said:

You have to collect all the Kuria. They reveal lore over how the Queens rose to power and messed with the Grineer Genome to make sure they stay loyal, as well as in creating the deviations (female Grineer and etc)

The Kuria poem says nothing about them creating anything, and considering they were outcasts who were shunned by their fellow Orokin and when the Orokin Empire fell they managed to earn the awe of the Grineer in part because they were twins, two people who looked the sane, like clones, but they were Orokin. They survived the war and the Grineer worshipped them like queens and served them faithfully because they wanted that same feeling of togetherness the twin queens had. 

The Grineer had never seen real twins before, because the Orokin killed twins at birth. The Orokin tech to manipulate genes was lost in the war and the little tech they’ve cobbled together allows for cloning and little else, the few deviations (like Vor or Tyl Regor) are beneficial mutations. If the queens could so easily genetically manipulate the Grineer to create female Grineer then they could create clone rot free bodies and not have to keep hopping into new clonerot bodies when their current obe gets old. 

and again, we can see Heavy Gunners in the opening cinematic. 

1 hour ago, (PSN)ClockworkSiren said:

The Grineer had never seen real twins before, because the Orokin killed twins at birth. The Orokin tech to manipulate genes was lost in the war and the little tech they’ve cobbled together allows for cloning and little else, the few deviations (like Vor or Tyl Regor) are beneficial mutations. If the queens could so easily genetically manipulate the Grineer to create female Grineer then they could create clone rot free bodies and not have to keep hopping into new clonerot bodies when their current obe gets old. 

I'm looking for the Lord entry to quote it more directly. But the Queens DO have the ability to twist and program the DNA, that's how they implanted the loyalty gene into Grineer, making them fiercely loyal.

The Pacifist defect was all about this gene going away because they aren't skilled at genetic manipulation. 

This was why Tyl Regor and Dr. Tengus were so vital to the Grineer. 

There is no lore saying the Female Grineer are a different person. The entire point of the Grineer is that they are the same person cloned into a species. Hence their rabid xenophobia.

6 hours ago, Aerikx said:

After all the members of On-Lyne are the Hex. So its looking like Albretch infected them for some reason. 

They aren't? All the members of Onlyne, if they were real people, ate the infested liches we'll be fighting.

I refuse to believe that Major Neci Rusalka is Proto Saryn. The major sounds more like Kela.

Proto Saryn should looks like the other Hex crews (Humans, but with their frame suits). She will suddenly appear and whoop the Major in Toxin warfare

This entire situation with the Protoframes feels like an effort to make up for the lack of Umbral 'Frames. I'm not against giving these Protos a spotlight, but how will this effect the game going forward? The Protos will have higher quality skins once released, complete with voice acting, but are there any other gimmicks? With the spotlight on the original crew, I'm intrigued to see how far they'll take this.

Saryn? I thought she was some sort of Grineer...

But you're right. She has those Saryn details. Too bad... would've loved to see some early Grineer versions in 1999. Even if it doesn't make sense lore-wise.

i got a lot more kala vibes from her than saryn, saryn has a strong floral theme to her. but since 1999 is more like an alternative universe style situation, especially considering eternalism it might be true, but i sincerely hope not - can you imagine swapping from saryn to her 1999 version and having that fugly thing running around?

Saryn? Kela De Thaym? Incredibly wrong comrades, when it is most obvious that this will be 1999 Yareli. The proof is in the Pelmeni. 

Rusalka basically means feminine water spirit. Or at least depending on which version, a strong association with water. Though she can go by different names, for example Vodyanitsa, which we will come back to. Some of these other names can be directly translated to mean joker or she who tickles. Now when you think of silly water girls who might tickle you, you might think? The Little Mermaid, but if you think Warframe? You might think Yareli. At least you would, if you have been studying the literature. 

Often with Rusalka there is an element of rejection or being the subject of societal ill will... Hmm, who was a polarising Warframe that drew the ire and mockery of large portions of the Warframe community for being too anime, cute, silly, and not fit to be a Warframe? Yareli? She experienced rejection and negativity. She is often associated with an unclean spirit. What is the last bit of notable Yareli conversation in recent times? A twerking Yareli at Tennocon, who was obviously a plant by DE, and was hand selected to provide a clue and meta component to 1999, which has been all about meta story telling. No coincidences here. 

If that wasn't enough, some Rusalka stories even involve pregnant woman who die... Hmmm. 

You can't deny the maths. Rusalka is 1999 Saya from Cetus, and nothing including the truth will make me think otherwise. 

(Okay but to be serious, when I first saw Major Neci Rusalka, my initial intuition was to think of Kela De Thaym a lot and Saryn a little. Its just in my nature though to never draw hard conclusions and to always consider possibilities (blame science), but most of the context around the character feels a bit more Kela De Thaym like. However... character did also give me Saryn vibes as well, and Saryn, Sedna and Kela De Thaym are all linked a little anyway. We get Saryn from that Assassination node right? (been a while since I ran it), and Sedna has a node thats both Rusalka (Sabotage), and Vodyanoy/Vodyanoi, Arena, and the place is just filled with references to Slavic mythology/fairytales etc Which is what I was joking around with above, and some of those stories could definitely apply to both Kela De Thaym and, or Saryn. Unclean spirit that "drowns" enemies with water (toxin). 

Visually I got more Kela De Thaym vibes, but... I also wouldn't be suprised if it was more directly 1999 Saryn, and eh, maybe some sort of hybrid could be in the cards. For example, probably will get a few more antagonists in 1999 and or future updates, and maybe one way to fit in more characters/references might be to merge some 1999 Warframe characters with other boss designs. Or maybe if they are just 1999 Warframes, but antagonists, that could work too. 

I have one subjective personal objection though. I have read and see way too much fan art and fan comics where Nidus is he sweetest, friendliest, chill bro to others, because visually he is so different, has Maggots crawling all over him, looks the most infested... its a really nice subversion of sorts, that he has really cute and wholesome interactions with others. He's basically a bloody meat man, that oozes and again has maggots. So clearly... the best way to handle them, would be to make them a really sweet wholesome 1999 character, instead of a bad guy, because making him a bad guy would be a bit too obvious and cliche. Making him a bit of an emo dude, who is gentle and sweet, but potentially the most affected by the virus effects (a bit how 1999 Nyx is) but hanging on to his humanity and also being calm and not necessarily conflicted. I think that characterisation would be really interesting. As far as what 1999 Nidus could be.

Obviously this is just an interpretation, they will do what they will do, but if they did do "evil 1999 Warframes"... I'd personally like... Gauss and Grendel. 1. They would be likeable endearing bad guys, because they are friends, and that would be sweet, but that would also be a challenge too, because we'd have to deal with a Speedster and a Tank. 1999 Volt with have an adversary who can match him in speed, and lore expanding on Grendel and Gauss being friends would be great. Then also I think Ash could be great, as a direct Nemesis to Arthur/Excalibur. Bit like a bitter rival, and maybe they were once friends? Turned anime rivals? Powers wise would be fun. Banshee and Ivara could be great as in cruel and annoying, because Banshee would make all the people who hate Nullifiers and power disabling irritated, and so be a good foil and Ivara would be a cruel twist to all those who want Loki and make jokes about "Loki is there, just invisible" because you could tease her as an invisible character doing stuff in the background, make people speculate its Loki... Only for it to be Ivara instead... and as an antagonist (everyone loves invisible bosses right?). However then they should actually have 1999 Loki in the next update, or brought in after, to not be too cruel. 

If we play by release of the game.

There were 12 frames. This would potentially put 6v6 as we see the team Arthur is with has a team of 6 including himself. Problem is they don't give "Quincy" a recognizable "Batch". This would leave the other original 6 on the roster as potential enemies.

We are left with Ash, Ember, Frost, Banshee, Saryn, Loki and Rhino.

• Like 1

Nice theory! I don't think, that she is proto-Saryn right now, but she could definitely become one.

4 часа назад, Xzorn сказал:

If we play by release of the game.

There were 12 frames. This would potentially put 6v6 as we see the team Arthur is with has a team of 6 including himself. Problem is they don't give "Quincy" a recognizable "Batch". This would leave the other original 6 on the roster as potential enemies.

We are left with Ash, Ember, Frost, Banshee, Saryn, Loki and Rhino.

Perhaps the next warframe after Cyte-09 will come out with the next batch.