Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Iron Sights: Poll

[DE]Rebecca

How much time do you spend in Iron Sights?   

1,019 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not sure how to vote seeing as I've never seen any ironsights. Are we calling zoom "iron sights"? Let's not have iron sights (like traditional shooters). I quite like having that field of view when zooming in. Too much tunnel vision if iron sights are implemented.

It depends on the recoil of the gun and the number of shots it takes to kill an enemy. With my grakata, which I used to religiously zoom with, I recently switched to a 100% recoil reduction/90% firerate build, and now I don't have to zoom in at all.

I tend to not use sights on my snipetron vandal, but I use it most of the time with my amprex and dread.

With crit weapons you need more headshots to do well, as where a more spray-ey weapon like the boltor prime you just want more shots to connect so with that gun I can get away with just going for body shots and not zooming in.

It also depends if heavy calibur is equiped, which is on most of my guns maxed excepts for the dread and snipetron vandal.

Also, shotguns feel like garbage because for some reason they have less spread (or at least feel like they have less spread) while zoomed in 

Not sure how to vote seeing as I've never seen any ironsights. Are we calling zoom "iron sights"? Let's not have iron sights (like traditional shooters). I quite like having that field of view when zooming in. Too much tunnel vision if iron sights are implemented.

Assuming that's what they're talking about.  It's not uncommon for third person shooters to call zoom without a scope overlay iron sights.

Assuming that's what they're talking about.  It's not uncommon for third person shooters to call zoom without a scope overlay iron sights.

Yeah, when I see Iron Sights, I actually take that to mean looking through iron sights. Just like when there's a scope, it means you're looking through a scope. So I guess they just mean zoom, and I take it this thread is really about how much detail they want to put in the weapons if people use zoom a lot. Closer views of the weapon means more detail needed to make it look good.

iron sight in 3th person?

Could you post a screenshot of how this would look?

What's wrong? I think It'll just change your FOV and cam-position into 1st person on weapon.

Btw, DE, how about removing scopes from SRs? And make them like a DMR? I would like to play Snipetron Vandal or Vectis w/o scopes and big zoom.

Edited by Spectre-Agent

I do use the iron sight quite a bit if I understand your meaning being the sighting rectical, because that is how my father taught me to shoot, what I would like, and this discussion was brought up many months ago, is the viability of the sight itself, sometimes it still gets lost in the snowscapes. 

while running and gunning i dont use the iron sight.(e.g. all fragile warframes-> i use a rush built)

but most of the time i play with not so fragile warframes and using my iron sight is a reflex, i dont even notice it most of the time.

if you consider changing the zoom/iron sight to a first-person-view then try to use a method similar to skyrim. so you can choose first-person, close third-person or far-third person.

I think the OP of this poll might do well with an edit changing "iron'-sights" to "tight-aim." Warframe, as a third-person shooter, doesn't really have any true iron-sights. Many guns don't even seem to have proper sighting mechanisms, and the closest things we have are sniper scopes.

This is not about adding iron-sights. This is about how much time/how often you use RMB to access more precise aiming, where you can see your primary firearm closer up and in greater detail. 

One thing quickly,
Vectis zoom is similar to Latron zoom...

yet it has a redundant full screen scope.

Is this poll to help address inconsistencies like this and maybe add an on/off function for scopes?

(I personally prefer the over the shoulder zoom of the Latron and would love to have it on the Vectis.)

Edited by NetSlayer

Just be clear here, I assume we are talking about the zoomed-in-but-still-third-person view?  Because I don't think adding an actual iron sights view  would fit the style or pacing of the game.  We need our peripheral vision.

Personally I aim a lot with almost every weapon.  It lets me have both faster reactions while not aimed and fine control for accuracy while aiming.  I'm leery of any push to increase the attention spent on the top and sights of weapons, because typically for an artist that means making things complicated and visually distracting when for efficiency of use what you want is clean and open.  I mean, just look at the difference between Waframe's idea of a sniper scope, and reality's idea of a sniper scope.

q6cN2Zk.jpg

scope-reticle-crosshair-3-mil-dot.jpg

Or even the complicated-looking but actually quite sensible PSO-1 reticle has way fewer markings/distractions.

PSO-1_reticle_Romanian_2.JPG

If you want to make weapons have a stronger identity, my suggestion would be to focus on the sound, projectile, and muzzle flash effects.  It should be less obvious that a rifle is Grineer based on the top of the receiver which should stay out of our way while we aim, and more obvious from way it looks and sounds when we fire it.  The artists already have free range to go crazy with creativity on the animation side of things, because generally while we reload we aren't trying to maintain a sight picture so it can have all the flourishes and mechanical flavor that they want.

My only wish for improving the whole aiming experience is that it would be nice to get a magazine indicator as part of the UI.  Making it part of the UI instead of part of the weapon allows it to be standard and consistent, which makes it second nature instead of having to become familiar with each individual weapon and the way it shows you that information. I do not use the mag indicator on the Stilleto pistols, for example.

It really depends on the weapon. For any kind of machine gun or spray and pray weapon, I usually only aim if enemies are concentrated in one area or are medium distance to far away. 

Whereas with rifle or bow type weapons like latron paris etc. I'll aim all the time because it's much more necessary

I think the OP of this poll might do well with an edit changing "iron'-sights" to "tight-aim."

Or Aim-down-sight, ADS in short.

Just be clear here, I assume we are talking about the zoomed-in-but-still-third-person view?  Because I don't think adding an actual iron sights view  would fit the style or pacing of the game.  We need our peripheral vision.

This. It doesn't work well in a game like Warframe, and that's why most TPS don't do that either (since they are often very fast-paced). The exception is Metal Gear Solid, but even that has two types of aim-down-sights (one is the shoulder zoom-in view, and the other is a first person one, which works for MGS due to its slower pace).

Edited by Casardis

What's wrong? I think It'll just change your FOV and cam-position into 1st person on weapon.

Btw, DE, how about removing scopes from SRs? And make them like a DMR? I would like to play Snipetron Vandal or Vectis w/o scopes and big zoom.

That's exactly what is wrong with it :D. Such dramatic view changes are very annoying. Just imagine having 3rd person view and with every weapon you right click your entire view is zooming in and shifting position. Games should use one or the other IMHO.

But I misread the OP, turns out they call zooming in with RMB iron sights.

Edited by Tenn00b

One thing quickly,

Vectis zoom is similar to Latron zoom...

yet it has a redundant full screen scope.

Is this poll to help address inconsistencies like this and maybe add an on/off function for scopes?

(I personally prefer the over the shoulder zoom of the Latron and would love to have it on the Vectis.)

I prefer it to be an option.

I dislike the Vectis scope as much as you, but there are others who like it.

An option to use regular zoom or iron sight/scope is the best of both worlds.

There should be a forth option in this poll. Never. This is a third person game. We have zoom but we don't use iron sights.

Scopes don't count since they will be made optional eventually.

If this game ever had a first person mode, then it would be an option. But I for one hope Warframe never has a first person option.

Also, as a side note; I think it's important to realise that the main reason a lot of people hate the scopes on the snipers is for the exact same reason a lot of people are saying an Iron Sight set as default for all weapons wouldn't fit in Warframe.

To constantly switch camera location from about a meter behind the back of your head to the gun itself in the middle of game-play is disjointing, and distracting, and it doesn't flow as well as the sort of gentle zoom in, and decrease in reticle sensitivity we have with all our other weapons.

Wait, what's the point of this poll? I'm not saying that to be rude, but I'm legitimately curious as to what exactly this poll could affect. Could you be more specific or give an example as to what "how to best approach weapon design and animation" entails?

I prefer the current set up.  I really love my Vectis Scope sights; however, sometimes in-game fog/glare makes it hard to see in that HUD.  Also, unlike most Sniper scopes, it doesn't have an extra zoom function available to further enhance the distance being shot.  This is something that could be readily used on some of the larger tile sets where accuracy goes down over distance due to the lack of scope zoom.