The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anyone Else Worried About The Hubs?

Llyssa

Peer to peer hubs would be ridiculous

given the lag that some get with 4 players....would it make any sense to create hubs and leaving peple with bad connections hosting for 200+ tenno ? no it's gonna be dedicated

It would be awesome though when the host would leave and the 199+ others would get the "host migration" screen. It don't get more epic than that :)

As a solo player, I really REALLY dislike this hub business. I'm one of the ones that miss standing in the middle of the Solar System, bigger then a planet; though recent improvements to navigation and time spent within my Liset has warmed me up to the new pad'... but hubs I can do without. As others have mentioned - if it's optional I'm fine with it, if not... well, I might lay off Warframe for a while until this new mess is somewhat fixed.

In short: I'll be sociable whenever I damn well please, not when a developer thinks I 'should' be.

Hubs will be hosted on a server in New York, which should go a long way to reduce that sort of lag.

I've been worried about that same sort of thing for a while now, after hosting a couple of 50+ person Dojo Parties myself, and having my FPS drop below 15.

Hopefully the Hubs are being approached with an optimization more like what you see in your standard MMO and not how Clan Dojo's are currently built.  If I can have 200 players on screen with 60 FPS in GW2, I'll be able to handle Hubs, unless the infrastructure is built like a dojo, in which case it will be eyegougingly painful.

Multi-Process Hosting

A recently added game feature called Multi-Process Hosting has improved connection speeds for our mercenaries. Now, party leaders aren't saddled with the brunt of the computing process, which is instead spread out across all party members. This means if your party leader has a poorer connection than you, they won't bring you down. Note that the Multi-Process Hosting is still currently in beta, so please let us know your experience in our forums so that we can further improve this system! 

This may or may not help...

This is a Vindictus update...

I'm guessing we already do this. That would explain some certain bugs that we've experience over the years. If that's the case, then having that not happen during hubs would be beneficial for us.

If we don't already do this, then it would seem to make the client FPS drop worse.

Loka might make sense on the moon. Sorta like the secret Nazi Loka moonbase.

Except we don't have the moon as one of the 14 planetoids--there's the 9(8? they keep changing it) base planets, two moons(not earth's), and 3 dwarf planets(or, technically, two and a really big asteroid).

EDIT: Just for fun:

Planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, (Pluto).

Moons: Europa(Moon of Jupiter), Phobos(Moon of Mars)

Dwarf Planets: Sedna, Eris, (or Pluto could go here. Who knows? Who cares?)

Asteroid: Ceres.

Edited by Llyssa

... well I'm looking forward to the hubs.

That said I hope they won't be as laggy as the mustache dojo party yesterday.

But I guess all depends on if the bottleneck is the network/internet bandwidth or if the bottleneck is the computational power of your CPU or Graphicscard.

If the bottleneck is the Bandwidth... then the dedicated servers they are going to rent for the Hubs will probably ease the pain, because the Dojo Party was really stresstesting the P2P networking.

If the bottleneck is the CPU/Graphicscard... well then we are pretty much doomed. There's not much that can be done about that other than brute force culling of stuff that's out of the view (which I assume the engine is already doing anyways so it's about optimizing the complete rendering process), having a LoD (level of detail) system for stuff that's in view and preventing players from using bullcrap like the starbursts etc. and other ridiculous stuff that may impact the needed rendertime negatively.

Edited by MeduSalem

If DE is smart they will make multiple instances of hubs and distribute players between them. But that would likely require DE having host servers. I know noone would want my crappy internet trying to host a hub. 

But aside from the technical concerns, I just question how much sense they make. 

Why would all of these Syndicates that don't exactly get along all congregate in a single station, along with an ancient Orokin scrap shop? I'd rather each Syndicate have its own space.

at least they were split up with the 3 friendlies of each side on different sides, but yeah, even then.. what stops one from going over and killing the other's leader, if they have no qualms against sending various creatures after us tenno in missions.

I predict something like this would happen but my concerns are more pointed somewhere else.

When i load into a mission or when someone joins a game i'm in, my game stops a little bit to load the new player, this becomes more evident when i try to load 3 players that enter at once.

It's not a huge deal, but if i can see the game stop when i load 3 players, then at 100 it would take ages, the loading screen or the hang i would get would be so big i'm even afraid that the connection will remain stable.

Phantasy star online made it so that lobbies are small and low on complexity, they also had a cap on the ammount of players in a lobby, if there was to many then you would go to lobby 2, lobby 3 and so on.

The game also ran smooth while it loaded the other players, could take time yes, but no hangs existed.

So yes, i predict low framerate, long load times and long freezes.

i see the hubs as more of a game feature than lore based.

i just cant wrap my head around all of the syndicates in the same space like that. It makes them look like a bunch of LARPers.

The rooms DO look cool though. I'd prefer if we had to teleport or travel to each Syndicate space, instead of just walk into a room down the hall in the same hub- but as a game mechanic it works well, just not too immersive. 

hubs aren't even more bigger than my dojo...i think steve will be disappointed no one its going to stay there for long.

also i want the hangar in my dojo and dojos in general, since they can maintain a bigger population of tenno XD

What's to say the space they showed off in the DevStream is all there is to the hubs? They might be much bigger than that in the end, with other rooms we haven't been shown yet. For one thing, they sneakily neglected to show off that Arcade room that Steve has been geeking over and Scott has been dreading. ;D