Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Scan Properly (Scanning 2.0 And Making It A Big Part Of The Game)

noveltyhero

How tos:

How To Create A More Dynamic World With Lore And Reason Behind It (Dynamic Mission Distribution Per Planet): https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/326160-how-to-create-a-more-dynamic-world-with-lore-and-reason-behind-it-dynamic-mission-distribution-per-planet/

.:DISCLAIMER: Any one of my "How to" posts is a mere suggestion based on personal opinion as to how DE can change certain things :.

Hey guys,

Long time since my last how to post but I played more singleplayer games since then and realized that codexes are actually not a waste of time if done right. Especially on huge MMO-like game such as Warframe.

So let's get down to it,

Basics

The scanner and the codex should be introduced early in the tutorial to the player, this is to bring familiarity and encourage its use in the game and not browsing the wiki.

Second most important thing here is to change the scanner so you can scan however many things you like, no need to buy any charges or silly nonsense like that because it will just add another con to the list.

If DE wants to add some form of payment for it, there is another way. Upon scanning something you will then have to "process it" which can cost 500 credits per scan taken. On your Liset you will do this, of course there needs to be a process all button and delete button if you want something removed.

Scanning mechanic

The scanning mechanic should be changed to picture taking and every item within the picture is given an ID at the time picture is taken. So no crazy image identification, just line of sight. 

This allows for easier scanning, even if DE increases overall scans required it shouldn't be as hard and as annoying to acquire.

There should be no delay either because the game is fast paced and scanning should allow you to zoom in and out using MMB-scroll.

Advanced usage

This is my favorite part, a reason to use this more.

Tagging

Holding it over an enemy will tag him like in Far Cry 3-4

600777-far-cry-3-xbox-360-screenshot-the

This allows you to see him through walls after wards, adding the "preplanning" edge in stealth.

Enemy details

The next thing is that holding it over an enemy will display the weaknesses and strengths you've discovered so far. Much like SoM's nemesis system DE should push the grounds here.

ShadowofMordor_YourNemesis_Screenshot_Ko

This will be a sign that your hard work has indeed paid off, probably more widely used if we get RNG mini bosses, something I will touch on later :)

Solo player pause

Solo players can and should have the option for game to be automatically paused when activating the scanner, would be a nice feature. Of course you cannot move during this.

Didn't touch on the codex much but it needs an overhaul on its UI, more lists and less big metro images, we're past the point of Win 8.

Other suggestions are to provide Mastery points for scans and things like that.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for reading!

Maybe I'm reading incorrectly... this sounds a lot like the system we have? The big takeaway I'm getting from this is that you would be able to bring up your codex entry on a given enemy mid-mission by hovering on it. Which seems pointless to me, because you'd just see "oh, he's weak to radiation" but realize you can't swap to radiation damage mid-mission.

What's this about tagging? I've never played Far Cry. Basically, I see a grineer lancer. I hover over him and he's "tagged". Then, I can see him through walls? I suppose it would be nice if we got an overhauled stealth system, but it seems rather pointless in the game as it is now. That lancer is going to be dead in 0.5 seconds, why bother tagging him.

Maybe I'm reading incorrectly... this sounds a lot like the system we have? The big takeaway I'm getting from this is that you would be able to bring up your codex entry on a given enemy mid-mission by hovering on it. Which seems pointless to me, because you'd just see "oh, he's weak to radiation" but realize you can't swap to radiation damage mid-mission.

What's this about tagging? I've never played Far Cry. Basically, I see a grineer lancer. I hover over him and he's "tagged". Then, I can see him through walls? I suppose it would be nice if we got an overhauled stealth system, but it seems rather pointless in the game as it is now. That lancer is going to be dead in 0.5 seconds, why bother tagging him.

Well the system we have now is heavily clunky and I just hate using it, coming from a pretty big collectivist that is something to consider.

Any way, most of the things I've suggested are of course to fit in with other mechanics, so I am hoping stealth will indeed get overhauled otherwise yes my suggestion would be useless. As for the weaknesses, I've mentioned mini bosses, that is a bigger thing to consider because you may deal 3x the damage if you DON'T shoot him with your radiation gun or w/e the case it is.

Also the system we have is basically spend 10 min to scan everything in an area, these changes would allow you to take a picture and move on, which if done correctly can be a big improvement and not a let-down.

Oh, I see. So this suggestion is really contingent on other massive overhauls. It's difficult for me to separate my perception of the game as it exists now.

Well, that aside, I do agree with you that scanning is rather sluggish. Instantaneous scanning sounds good to me. I haven't even bothered with it since it was just a such a chore, I bought a couple thousand scanners for my Helios and just let him go nuts.

Oh, I see. So this suggestion is really contingent on other massive overhauls. It's difficult for me to separate my perception of the game as it exists now.

Well, that aside, I do agree with you that scanning is rather sluggish. Instantaneous scanning sounds good to me. I haven't even bothered with it since it was just a such a chore, I bought a couple thousand scanners for my Helios and just let him go nuts.

Yeah pretty much, normally I wouldn't do feedback on something that relies on changing a lot of other things, but the other things in this case need desperate change considering how bland they are at the moment.

What the scanner needs to do is to lock on to and track enemies while scanning, like in Metroid Prime. It's extremely hard to scan one enemy in a group, especially when that enemy keeps running behind others and halting the scan.

Also, what we need is a craftable infinite scanner. It gets annoying when I have to repeatedly buy more charges.

What the scanner needs to do is to lock on to and track enemies while scanning, like in Metroid Prime. It's extremely hard to scan one enemy in a group, especially when that enemy keeps running behind others and halting the scan.

Also, what we need is a craftable infinite scanner. It gets annoying when I have to repeatedly buy more charges.

I like the lock on idea, but I suggested something different instead of craftable infinite scanner, just allow it to be infinite to begin with.

Instead I think four simple things should take place.

Scans become a one shot picture that can processed later, only one enemy per type is counted regardless of how many are in it. Aka 3 lancers 2 scorpions 1 bombard. You only get one bombard one scorpion and one lancer shot. Must snap 3 pictures for three scans.

Codex is PLAIN AND SIMPLE. No more symbol or plus marks, or explain one + = +25% or - = -25% damage and name the element. IE Bombards = --- viral and ++blast and +++corrosive. Include a chat like the wiki combination chart.

Scans include drop percentage. IE: I go to mods and it says Life Strike (also makes mods you don't have visible if the scanned enemy can drop it) is Bombard 7% Lancer 1% Heavy gunner 3%. Is I go through Heavy gunner then it says R5 3% U5 10% Life strike 3%. The percentages don't add up to 100 but rather include Heavy gunner has a 10% (1n10) chance to drop and then based on that a 3% chance to drop LS.

Scans taken record enemy numbers, that spawned in the world during the shot and 30 second before. It later adds up based on the mission type, planet, and etc. IE Bombards are best to farm in mobile defense on Sedna but also Mars and Phobos I'll spawn them. MD Sedna 17 avg spawns MD Phobos 8 avg and MD Mars 3 spawns etc etc. Thus giving Helios a MAJOR boost on the carrier because of the mega boost in statistics it would offer users.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead I think four simple things should take place.

Scans become a one shot picture that can processed later, only one enemy per type is counted regardless of how many are in it. Aka 3 lancers 2 scorpions 1 bombard. You only get one bombard one scorpion and one lancer shot. Must snap 3 pictures for three scans.

Codex is PLAIN AND SIMPLE. No more symbol or plus marks, or explain one + = +25% or - = -25% damage and name the element. IE Bombards = --- viral and ++blast and +++corrosive. Include a chat like the wiki combination chart.

Scans include drop percentage. IE: I go to mods and it says Life Strike (also makes mods you don't have visible if the scanned enemy can drop it) is Bombard 7% Lancer 1% Heavy gunner 3%. Is I go through Heavy gunner then it says R5 3% U5 10% Life strike 3%. The percentages don't add up to 100 but rather include Heavy gunner has a 10% (1n10) chance to drop and then based on that a 3% chance to drop LS.

Scans taken record enemy numbers, that spawned in the world during the shot and 30 second before. It later adds up based on the mission type, planet, and etc. IE Bombards are best to farm in mobile defense on Sedna but also Mars and Phobos I'll spawn them. MD Sedna 17 avg spawns MD Phobos 8 avg and MD Mars 3 spawns etc etc. Thus giving Helios a MAJOR boost on the carrier because of the mega boost in statistics it would offer users.

Pretty much this^

The codex also has to be easily accessible, I should be able to get it on the go and search or even "favorite" items with in. Or place "targets" so I have a goal when I am out and about that is always visible in current mission progress. I have no idea what they were thinking when they made codex scanners cost money as well as be inconvenient as hell to use in this fast paced game. Wiki is concise, quickly accessible and gives me more information as well as community thoughts on the subject.