The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would Veterans Be Interested In A "legacy System" Where Mentoring Newer Players/frames Would Result In Exclusive Rewards?

(PSN)Silverback73

I am on board with the people that don't want this. If a person wants to help a newbie, chances are he'll be a good tutor to that newbie. By adding rewards for being a tutor (EXCLUSIVE ones, no less!), you'd be attracting people that don't want to tutor anybody, just the reward. These would certainly be very poor tutors, and it would just bring the whole experience down to everyone involved.

Newbies that had been poorly tutored would just speak ill of tutors in general to their peers, and maybe even badmouth the game itself, and then even the good tutors get the short end of the stick with this deal. Rewarding tutors may sound like a good idea at first, but it would really just hurt everyone in the long run.

I say save those rewards for something else, not for tutoring. Being able to properly help and teach new players should be it's own reward.

Put yourself in a new player's shoes. Would you want to be mentored by another player who has zero interest in actually mentoring you, and is only in it for the reward? I don't see how incentivizing a bunch of people who have no interest in helping new players to bloat the system is a good idea. You can spin it any way you want but that's what you're going to end up with at the end of the day.

yes and no. No I would prefer if someone genuinely wanted to help, yes I would've taken any help I could get when I hit a wall trying to progress in star chart.

As for rewards, I like the idea of cosmetics. And, as with weapons, frames, certain skins, etc. you would need to do two things:

Task exclusive rewards.

Timed exclusives that are rotated and replaced or added to an ever-growing pool.

I'll also offer this thought to contemplate on: if this specific example of "do this and you get that" mechanic is something you balk at, consider that it might be a general resentment towards this type of mechanic.

The only thing of interest to a seasoned veteran is recognition of progression/advancement. In this game everyone is just a Tenno, which is both good and bad.

Start with something simple. Interaction with The Lotus. If you are of low Mastery rank she should converse with you one way, if you are high ranking she should converse with you another way.

We don't need more exclusive content in this game behind what would just be another grindwall, since we all know that's what it would be.

Besides everything a player needs to know should be told to them by the game and the rest should come from naturally while playing. Except that there is way to much information not provide by the game.

We don't need more exclusive content in this game behind what would just be another grindwall, since we all know that's what it would be.

Besides everything a player needs to know should be told to them by the game and the rest should come from naturally while playing. Except that there is way to much information not provide by the game.

Anytime I see the terms "grind" and "forced" I see it as a "tell" that you are no longer having the fun/return needed to satisfy you; resentment is creeping for the game's FEATURED mechanic: time-sink acquisition of content that can be circumvented with money with about 5% being money exclusive and 5% being time-sink exclusive. It's not just this particular suggestion. Will any Vets admit to this? Or am I off? Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

Anytime I see the terms "grind" and "forced" I see it as a "tell" that you are no longer having the fun/return needed to satisfy you; resentment is creeping for the game's FEATURED mechanic: time-sink acquisition of content that can be circumvented with money with about 5% being money exclusive and 5% being time-sink exclusive. It's not just this particular suggestion. Will any Vets admit to this? Or am I off?

No, you hit the nail right on the head.

It's just that for some people, the only fun they still get out of this game is to follow their "collect them all" compulsion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's not a valid reason to still stick around. The missions don't suddenly become more varied after hundreds of runs. But with that in mind, it's no wonder that not everyone thinks of this as a good suggestion.

Personally, I'm all for more variety and think it's a good idea. The rewards should probably only be cosmetics, though, and put into the market as well. So the people who really don't care about helping out others don't feel like they're pressured into that kind of thing. It would be a poor experience for both the newbie and the veteran anyway.

Edited by Kontrollo

Why don't you "make" friends ;)? Who doesn't love Trinity on their squad?

What about people who, let's say hypothetically, find most players to be too inept to even deal with beyond simple random pug missions?

Hypothetically speaking of course.

I'd absolutely hate a system like this.

Some of us help newer players because we want to, we don't need rewards. The last thing new players need is to be told that this really experienced, high level player is here to help and show them the way; when this player simply doesn't care and just wants loot. The average advice would be "get boltor/soma, get bored of killing low level enemies with strong weapons and quit".

Let the genuinely helpful players help, don't try and make others do it in promise of loot. If you want more cosmetics, just add them through gameplay.

Before, I'd have said give an emblem (maybe with a counter, like stratos) and nothing else. But then we've seen how that goes, haven't we? The emblem wasn't enticing enough, so festive items were locked behind that mission type too.

I'd absolutely hate a system like this.

Some of us help newer players because we want to, we don't need rewards. The last thing new players need is to be told that this really experienced, high level player is here to help and show them the way; when this player simply doesn't care and just wants loot. The average advice would be "get boltor/soma, get bored of killing low level enemies with strong weapons and quit".

Let the genuinely helpful players help, don't try and make others do it in promise of loot. If you want more cosmetics, just add them through gameplay.

Before, I'd have said give an emblem (maybe with a counter, like stratos) and nothing else. But then we've seen how that goes, haven't we? The emblem wasn't enticing enough, so festive items were locked behind that mission type too.

Im pretty sure the newbie wont even mind why hes helping him/her as long as he's getting help. His idea will only increase helpers, Thats what newbies need,

I don't know, the rewards should be something non-tangible rather than tangible and there should be penalties to indicate the reliability of a mentor.

A recognized mentor could probably have some minor buffs such as increased credit gains, affinity though the percent is less than boosters. Or they could require less missions to gain access to invasion rewards, etc etc.

Though to implement a system for this would be hard, not to mention it is open to absolute abuse since it is hard to verify a meaningful human to human interaction.

Anytime I see the terms "grind" and "forced" I see it as a "tell" that you are no longer having the fun/return needed to satisfy you; resentment is creeping for the game's FEATURED mechanic: time-sink acquisition of content that can be circumvented with money with about 5% being money exclusive and 5% being time-sink exclusive. It's not just this particular suggestion. Will any Vets admit to this? Or am I off?

I don't think you quite got my point about grinding. I'm talking about de's need to put everything behind unnecessary and incredibly annoying walls to aggravate players as much as possible. Also you ignored the rest of my post.

Also lets not forget the Firestorm and referral fiasco from before.

I don't think you quite got my point about grinding. I'm talking about de's need to put everything behind unnecessary and incredibly annoying walls to aggravate players as much as possible. Also you ignored the rest of my post.

Also lets not forget the Firestorm and referral fiasco from before.

As a grand master, I respect and pay attention to your points, with greater weight, even. I'm looking for ways to reward everyone involved-vets,rookies, and DE's business model. If DE wants to continue to grow the game and make it enjoyable for as many players as possible, how does your stance on DE's "need" make logical sense? If you feel that way, then WHY is it your belief that they would make decisions that provide you with unnecessary, annoying, and aggravating gameplay experiences? Feel free to cut loose because I think the community is mature enough to take it the right way. Do you feel marginalized? What do YOU want to see happen in 2015?

I truly appreciate your continued input :)

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

Put yourself in a new player's shoes. Would you want to be mentored by another player who has zero interest in actually mentoring you, and is only in it for the reward? I don't see how incentivizing a bunch of people who have no interest in helping new players to bloat the system is a good idea. You can spin it any way you want but that's what you're going to end up with at the end of the day.

This.

IMO Friends and Clan is enough.

I think the idea's intentions (expectation) are good, but the reality would bring too much greed.

Personally, as a veteran I don't want to repeat all or part of the content I've played while babysitting another player, I want something new and refreshing to do with all my multiforma'd equipment.