Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe's Vibe Is Dissipating With Almost Every Update (Read Before Insta-Hate)

(PSN)kiddplay13

I would have been bored with this game a long time ago if it was still like it used to be, and I think most of you would be too.  I don't want every tileset to be dark.  I don't want every frame to be basic.  Most of all, I don't want DE to stop taking chances.  It truly scares me that there are so many people agreeing with the OP.  DE won't be able to take this game to the next level with this kind of thinking.  

Warframe hasn't been the way the OP described for a very long time.  The fact that you all have stuck around this long says something.  It sounds to me like people are just being nostalgic.  

Agreed. The main reason why current games have become so damned stale and are obvious copies of each other is because of the OP's way of thinking. While not everything DE does with Warframe will be an instant hit, the fact that they're actually trying new and unique things is what makes them and Warframe so awesome and a breath of fresh air. Yeah, there's grind. Yeah, there's a few half-realized mechanics. But no one can sit there with a straight face and say Warframe isn't one of the most unique F2P 3rd person shooters of this generation.

It is a bit sad to see people being influenced by others and their design choices. So who gives a bleepy bleep when the Rhino next to you is hot pink and shakes his hips? If you don't like to see it, then find a clan with people who don't run around like that. There are enough "serious" or "true" clans out there.

According to you our perception of the game can be the same regardless of the changes they make to it? are you seriously saying that if tomorrow, DE changes all models to something like... i don't know... hello kitties, we can still force ourselves to perceive the game as it was before? please teach us all how to do it... cause you know... i really can't fool my eyes, i see what is put in front of me. And for the record i am not a zealot of the "old ways" but i think that your advise lacks any foundation and substance... unless off course you can teach us to fool our eyes and see what we want instead of what is put in front of us.

Imo Warframe is what it is now because DE started listening to NEARLY EVERYTHING that the community wanted instead of doing what they wanted to do in the first place and only add things to the game that added to the theme and atmosphere the game was supposed to be portraying, instead of adding what was popular at the time.

Sure some changes suggested by the community were good ones, some of them not so much, now I'm not saying I could have done better, but still some of these changes are really stupid, like when they balance a lot of the guns yet manage to somehow make founder/closed beta exclusive weapons actually worse than the regular counterparts, instead of making them be at least as powerful/damaging. (look at lato prime/lato vandal vs the now buffed lato and aklato).

As it stands while there have been some bad and some good design decisions, and while the game we have now is not what the game was originally, it is still a good game, sure things have changed, but for the most part they have improved upon the game, it will always be a rocky road deciding what gets put into the game and what is left on the cutting room floor. 

How many other games have been shaped to the degree that Warframe has by it's community? (for better or for worse)

Edited by SchrodingersKitteh

Personally i feel the opposite. Im a bit of a veteran, having played since the first day of open beta.

The reason im still enjoying warframe now is the amount that it is updated and improved, the range of content that is constantly getting added, and existing content that is updated from feedback.

I find the new warframes much better than the old ones. While you comment that older warframes where more abstract, i'd argue that they were the same as current concepts, but more poorly executed in design. For example, Excalibur was taken with the concept of 'Sword'. yet from a design point he was the vanilla frame, from which all other warframes where designed. So here the character concept didnt fit the atheistic design.

More modern frames are condensed, concentrated versions of concepts, rather than the vague renditions of the past.

Should there be any single argument for change and progress, id point to the level design. I remember when there was one single tile-set. One, regardless of enemy or planet. Now we have so many, its a joy to explore new tilesets.

I would have thought most of the early frames were easy to grasp the theme concept.

Frost, Ember, Mag, Loki, Volt...

Maybe I am miss under standing your point.

I believe they count as early frames and to me their abilities and looks are very straightforward. No dark vibe to be had, and not much in terms of creativity, compared to later Warframe additions.

Also, not sure how Valkyr is depicted as wearing clothes; unless you mean she is "stripped" of them. (She looks bare-bones)

As for the custoimization, I agree things have been getting brighter: Energy Channeling, Syndicate Syndanas...

Personally I feel things the transition is trying to get back to what Players want: Orokin Era

It has been determined as the End Game and the Orokin is very Bright, even the corrupted enemies are glistening in Gold.

The community does not seem to enjoy the Orokin Derelict or Dark Sector Nodes as "End Game"

Even talks of End Game builds are pretty much about the Void. I feel Infested were intended to be the "end-game" faction along side the "corrupted".

*Waiting for Corrupted Healers to be updated to grant damage reduction & CC-immunty Aura to Corrupted like the Infested Ancient counterparts*

As for the Stealth to Gun-ho, play style...

Any game offering progression runs into that issue.

People enjoy being overpowered and not on common ground with the enemy.(People hated Archwing because it was a "fresh start" and you did not have overpowered equipment from the start.)

I compare the game to the first On-line game that I sank similar time & effort into: Metal Gear Online (MGO)

-Had the premise of Tactical (Stealth) Gameplay and various skin customization

-Traits had to be leveled through use or hitting set mile-markers (Hitting Runner 3 required several in game sprinting hours...there were lobbies of no-killing Box or Runner leveling-only)

Early on, players would play tactfully. Taking other players captive with CQC and setting traps. Then players went with fast running builds and high weapon skills (Rifle 3, SMG 3, Shotgun 3) and started the Zerg rushing with walls of lead down choke points.(But the matches did have limited ammo, with no ammo restore, unless you died or it was a Drebin points(in game points Marketplace) match.)

This feels similar to me because there are advanced movement controls(that can be used) and you can succeed in most missions with a tactful approach or just going gun-ho.

Most of all there are options.

*I had the worst KDR(Something like 1:950 almost hit 1:1000 before toon reset) in MGO. I would stun with Shield, MK.2 pistol, or stun knife.(Had like a 30:1 Stun ratio) Scan players with Scanner Ex and keep them hostage for upwards of 90 minutes.(99minute matches) Continually stunning them and waking them up, but never killing the enemy. (You get more points for stun and scans, because it was considered tactical. You could win matches by not killing the enemy...)*

Warframe is all bout killing, with the CC there to make killing easier.

(I thoroughly enjoy WF, but if the new MGO is anything like the old MGO....I'll become a forgotten Tenno... about 1600hours into Warframe...highest Warframe ability kills are from Valkyr's Paralysis)

According to you our perception of the game can be the same regardless of the changes they make to it? are you seriously saying that if tomorrow, DE changes all models to something like... i don't know... hello kitties, we can still force ourselves to perceive the game as it was before? please teach us all how to do it... cause you know... i really can't fool my eyes, i see what is put in front of me. And for the record i am not a zealot of the "old ways" but i think that your advise lacks any foundation and substance... unless off course you can teach us to fool our eyes and see what we want instead of what is put in front of us.

Trying to use a over-exagerration of hello kitties doesn't make your argument any valid either. A frame going to a hello kitty is essentially changing everything about it.

But a frame in a tuxedo and top hat? It's style and aesthetic is still warframe like, it isn't a huge different from other frames. 

I think I've managed to pin down what irks me about the newer designs. Warframes like Nekros and Zephyr (both very well designed for their theme in my opinion) were INSPIRED by necromancers and birds while staying true to the biomechanical look of the older frames. Limbo and Mesa ARE magicians and gunslingers. No compromise, no duality, no merging of two styles. 

For starters, I would like to emphasize that I really, really enjoy Warframe as it exists right now. Having disappeared for about a year or so due to a whole bunch of different factors, coming back in the last few months has almost overwhelmed me with how much has changed and been added. It's great and I love every second of it.

With that said, I do think there's a kernel of validity to some of what's been said here. I do think the game doesn't feel quite as... broody, perhaps? Mysterious? The last time I played we were still kneeling in front of a starmap suspended in an abyss. Things felt a little more... mystical. Sort of cloak-and-dagger-esque. Like the Tenno and the Lotus were part of some sub rosa organization, moving to achieve esoteric ends. Things seemed... greyer, muddier then, in terms of motivation and morality. The mood seemed a little darker and more ambivalent. I kind of miss the notion of the Lotus actually being an entire organization that merely contacts you through a representative. A sort of black hand that silently moves through the solar system and steers events towards some inscrutable goal.

Maybe all of this just sort of arose accidentally from a lack of information or something. Who knows. But I did like that sort of feeling, and it's not as present as it used to be. Things have been clarified, brightened up. The Tenno and the Lotus seem like the not-so-ambiguously "good" guys in the fight these days. The Tenno feel a bit less like assassins and spies (ninjas, I guess) and more like... samurai, maybe? They have their own living spaces and hub areas and bunches of other stuff that kind of... humanizes them, in a lot of ways. And things feel less strange and "spooky" that way.

In terms of visuals and what-have-you, I don't really have any qualms. Things are literally brighter than they used to be but I don't necessarily see this as a glaring flaw or anything. You can still make a game with brighter visuals feel dark in tone.

Sorry, this is a little rambly. Probably not super coherent.

Still love the game, regardless.

Edited by Panzyfaust

So, the moment someone makes a topic about something they're excited about, it should be locked or deleted? Is that what you're suggesting? If so, that makes 0 sense. "No Excitement Zone here on Warframe Forums! If you like something about our game, keep it to yourselves! We don't want to hear about it!" Yea, no.

Player hype is not DE's fault. It's the player's fault for hyping themselves.

No, you can't. The vibe something gives off is strictly an opinion. It's like asking whether or not the color red is ugly. It's awesome to some & the ugliest thing ever to others, but neither of those are fact. Just opinion.

Let's talk hype.

Hype thread isn't thread where people simply post "I am happy that DE is making this and that". What hype threads are is following.

"I'll post most horrific fanboi statement ever, attack whoever disagrees with me, say that next update will fix everything and that new game addition will be best ever". Seen it before every major update.

You can post what you want, but posting like hyped kid before the birthday is a big no in my book.

Edited by RoboDoge

The game isnt edgy enough! Its in a way that i personally deslike so it is wrong and everyone who likes it is wrong!

Also:

You mean you don't want Sharona-chan?

warframe___sharona___chan_by_redskittlez

I would pay top plat for that, emoji displaying face plate and everything.

I also miss the look and feel of Warframe from when I first booted it up. To me it was more gritty and dystopian and had quite a different vibe to it. Nothing wrong with a little silliness now and then but when the current community hot topic has a question like this:

Do you think Warframe needs more silly additions?

and 50% want more silly addition I do get a bit worried. I don't want it to turn into a parody game after all. Plenty of other tounge in cheek games out there without the need for Warframe to be one.

You can set darker visuals by just playing with options, Rhino prime wasnt pink when you builded him, he was black and gold. Are saying DE should disable coloring options just because some ppl repaints their warframe that way you dislike it? If that is not self centered opinion, i have no idea what is then.

Warframe design: So it was okay have clothes when volt,frost,vauban and trinity did it cause it fitted their style, but not when others did? Is this another example this game is bad, but it is okay because bungie did it?(limbo is bad one, i agree)

Warframe design part2: As being mechanical, i have no idea why you put valkyr as one of shamful ones, since her default head is broken in two pieces and she has very clear mechanical spine in her back and metallic flat fleets. I quess this one is one of those that it was okay when rhino did it, but when others did it, it was bad.

"Not being ninja": Quite weird say stealth aspects have gone down since the beginning shortly after stealth 2.0 was implemented(i know consoles dont have it yet, but it is in the game)

Edited by (PS4)SofeSNBR

Let me start by saying that all of this is opinion.

I LOVE all the new frame designs. How boring would it be to have all the suits look the same?

Let me finish by saying, you guys know you can change the color schemes on your suits, right? If you are so hung up on it that you don't like other people's suits, play solo.

The game isnt edgy enough! Its in a way that i personally deslike so it is wrong and everyone who likes it is wrong!

Also:

warframe___sharona___chan_by_redskittlez

I would pay top plat for that, emoji displaying face plate and everything.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but... I would actually like to see something like this in the game...^^'

I don't think WarGUNS has lost its "vibe". I thought that too at first. But I realized then, it's really just that this vibe has changed. I regret the darker, more "mature" (not sure it's the right word) atmosphere the game once had. But everything changes with time, it's inexorable. Sometimes it's for the best, sometimes it's for the worst. And sometimes it's just... different.

I love Mesa's look for instance, even though she doesn't fit the "ninja theme". I don't know if I like or dislike this "new" game we have, but I'm still playing it, despite all my b!tching, so it can only mean I like it, I guess.

i dont agree with this, but the animation pose should be male for male frames.

but it doesnt really matter that much

if you were incharge of warframe, what new frame theme would you release, another boring ninja themed frame? i think theyre doing pretty well

why do you all always stick to the ninja mentality , 

After all this time, all these updates, Warframe has become a living, breathing....Thing. Its being pushed to change by the community, developers, and even casual players who haven't even dropped a single post onto the forums. It started off with just a few updates and tweaks to get everything working, And then started a very long evolution process that has mostly turned it into a different game. But that different game it has become is directly fueled by the community as a whole. Are there parts that are terrible? Absolutely.

1. PvP, as stated in more threads than i care to count PvP is terrible, disgustingly broken, and should never exist.

2. PvP, as stated in more threads than i care to count, PvP is going to be amazing as soon as DE balances it.

^ Huge debate there.

3. Archwing, Its tedious, boring, and full of more issues than any other single part of the game.

4. Power Creep, Slowly forcing everyone to ignore their old weapons, which can no longer keep up even when forma'd to the point of being excessive.

5. Anti-Ninja: If we are supposed to be Ninja in space....Why Shotguns? Antimatter Explosions? Full Auto Lawnmower guns (Soma, Supra, etc). That is NOT ninja in any possible way shape form or fashion.

That list could go on for a long time. But the list of good things about Warframe will always be much much longer.

Yes, Warframe has a lot of issues that are clearly broken and were horrible ideas, but the game is still fun. Thats the core of the matter, and what a lot of players tend to forget. the CoD series, despite all the hate, is still one of the highest grossing games of all time, with a playerbase larger than a great many countries. Why? Because even with a community more toxic than LoL, the games are a huge amount of fun.

Do i want Hydroid and the whole concept of Archwings to be burn't at the stake? Absolutely, with a simmering passion. But i wouldn't trade those kinds of mistakes for the world. Without them, Warframe IS Destiny, just another overhyped generic game. Warframe is anything but Generic, and the fact that we argue so much over which frame/weapon is better, means they are a lot closer to balanced than it seems.

Warframe can be lame and viciously stupid at times, But I love it anyway. I don't regret a dime i've spent on it, or a single minute of gameplay.  Hell, I even met my current Wife on the Warframe Forums. DE has given a lot to us, mistakes and all. But Warframe is still strong, Tenno are still strong.

I'm sorry if im slightly incoherent, Its been a long time since ive gotten sleep...but my point still stands.

Edited by Aigloblam

You know what i hate about some of this threads, there have been many ideas to ask for the reusing of older content in warframe and many times so many many many times people just downright ignore and say such things are not really look forward to in warframe.

Now comes a thread like this claiming that the new additions are driving away the games main vibe, ok honestly if you guys want the old content so much go and make suggestions for it to be brought back then complain about it.

This is all possible for the older, darker and grittier maps no doubt, even gun sounds for the grakata for those who hate the new one. DE probably has those files in a back up which can restore the game in times of crisis so they could use it for in-game content.

Now for all the Art directions and name directions and so on, ok lets be honest any of you guys are versed in japanese/chinese/hindu/Malay/Middle Eastern/asian lore? Not just greek lore, i bet there are millions of internet lore degree holders and you could try to come up with ideas. Sadly you probably also can't really since most of the lores within these subjects fixate on a particular object and almost never anything else.

Western Lore has a lot of creative ideas that DE can borrow, talk about Asian lore, even for an Asian like me, alot of the lores don't focus on violence. Asian lore talk alot about prosperity and punishment, there is principle, there is discipline, heritage, but violence to be used in warframe? I guess not. Ninja, Japanese stuff, all the violence stereotype is very limited to political feuds or fighting and overall they are not recorded significantly to create vast folklore about.

All the stuff about biomechanical works is also showing a blind eye to where DE has been putting alot of their attention lately which is infested. I am not sure but they look very biomechanical. The new warframes look like wearing clothes? Well but are they? Does it look like cloth-mechanical look which is again organic and mechanical, nothing really changed. Limbo looks very void like because he is void esque.

Want to prepare for the next complain thread? I bet the next group of people would complain the game is becoming too machine like, edgy and so non-bio. You know why? Because Riot moa, Tyl Regor redux and Kela Redux as well as potential archwings and weapons are all going to be around those looks. So stop complaining about nothing except evolution, if they game didn't evolved the game probably be dead and everyone would be this game is so bland and the whole thing about being burnt out, it is just so silly!

-End rant.