Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gender Locking

Koujjo

I know this is a dead horse, but does anyone else besides me have a problem playing frames of the opposite gender? I don't know if I'm a bit of a role player or it's because it breaks immersion for me but I just can't play female frames. I'm curious how many others feel the same.

Tbh I started off just like you. But when u reach that "level" where you get bored of playing a few frames, ur gonna want to have them all. Not to mention it's always good to have all the options when playing with a group.

I've probably been playing as long or longer than you and this is the first MMO I've ever played with genderlocking. My first MMO was Asheron's Call. Then I went to DAoC and then on to WoW. None of them have genderlocking. This is probably the only non-asian MMO I know of that has genderlocking.

Nope, I'm 27, been playing longer. :P

If you've only played a small number of traditional MMOs, then yeah that explains it.  Traditional MMOs are one of the few types of games that allow selectable gender (outside of notable ones like the Mass Effect series).  Go back slightly more to precursors like Diablo 1 and 2 and there's gender-locking, go to most RPGs and there's gender-locking, etc.  This is because most games have you play the role of a pre-determined character, and gender is generally part of the character.

Initially I had the same problems, then I adapted because all Warframe have a role. Anyway I can immerse myself much better in males Warframe.

I cant play males. THEY ARE UGLY.

There.

Also. You are narrow minded. People like you are the reason games/movies with female protagonists are unpopular and feminism exists.

Hate me all you want, but this is the truth.

It seems to me that you're the only one with a narrow-minded

I keep reading the topic title and thinking this is a thread about gender being mastery locked. How would that even work?

I'm bad at gender. By extension, so is the tenno that represents me ingame. I figure that once you become a terrifying void-twisted individual whose primary purpose in life is to kill everything you're pointed towards (with no memory of who you were before all of this), the whole gender thing becomes immaterial.

This would be a place where are you making your male or female tenno.

Please stop going on about making alternate genders of the frames we have, its been brought up many times before and DE has always said they are not interested in doing alternate gender skin to make male frames female and female frames male. 

Doesn't bother me. I enjoy playing female characters in games from time to time.

I'm a dude 24/7 IRL so sometimes I wanna be a badass, sexy ninja/mage/warrior/agent/lizard/thing. Its a nice change of pace.

And seeing as people typically use games as a sort of escape/fantasy thing, playing as characters different to who they are in real life is normally fine.

I don't really see why playing as a different gender would bother people. thats just me though.

DE really dropped the ball when it comes to genders of frames - they shouldn't have been so obtuse about genders and just bended over backwards in order to accommodate an extremely small minority in order to address an excruciatingly small issue. That's the logical way to do things after all.

It's almost as if there's an incalculably long list of games across the globe that have characters and classes with a static gender, and have been doing so for years. What nerve! The audacity of it all! I think it's time to cut our loses and quit Warframe altogether.

Edited by DJ_Redwire

I have no problem playing characters of any gender/sex as long as they're interesting.

However in Warframe specifically, I only ever play one character anyway, the Tenno who was woken up on Earth, tangled with Vor and stole Ordis's Lisete. We have one Mastery track, one progress track, on set of equipment, one story hence one character.

The shapes of the many Warframe exo-armour suits that character posseses are irrelevant to the character beyond what it implies about the suits design origin.

Edited by SilentMobius

I believe Warframe tends to embrace the ideas of Transhumanism and Posthumanism (seems to me, anyway).  In that context, the "form", the body, of the person (where the Tenno are concerned) is more of an accessory, a tool, or a cosmetic choice.

Although our cultural identities may not always mesh well with the aforementioned notions, I don't think we're meant to identify with our Tenno's Warframes (the suits, the tools they use) as we are with our Tenno themselves (whom we never see).  I also don't think our Tenno necessarily identifies gender with the physical characteristics (sex) of whatever Warframe they wear at a given time.

Edit: typos

Edited by DelialFallen

Aren't frames just armors and copies of the originals at that? Come to think of that our Tenno are not so smart if they can't make few alterations to their newly found armor :P

Nope. They are tools to be used. That being said Nova P has a nice butt with Mirage noble stance.

Mesa has the best butt of all butts ;)

Are you defying the Valkyr Booty's glory?

Valk and  Excalibur have Hands down the best butts.

And to OP: No problems here. I can play as any frame as long as i like the skillset and/or design. Sexexchange was in the original concept (as you can see in Nyx; she was fem excal model before rework) but scratched cuz too much effort as mentioned before.

Please stop going on about making alternate genders of the frames we have, its been brought up many times before and DE has always said they are not interested in doing alternate gender skin to make male frames female and female frames male. 

And their alternate course of action, to create frames with similar themes to the ones of the different gender that has that theme, is FAR more interesting, imo, than just tacking on boobs or a codpiece to one of the current frames. 

And their alternate course of action, to create frames with similar themes to the ones of the different gender that has that theme, is FAR more interesting, imo, than just tacking on boobs or a codpiece to one of the current frames. 

I second this, it offers the same variety really but with a far broader scale of abilities and concepts. though i'm not quite sure how specific de is about the similarities, i find it difficult at times to see links between any of the frames. 

on another note, while in most games i am in complete opposition of gender locked classes (as it limits player expression and also opens a door to a number of gender tropes i just find far too obnoxious) warframe is just not one of those games that can fit into such a field. maybe i feel less about it because this game lacks a traditional player character, as we start the game with simply the option of suits that the anonymous formless genderless character that we control will wear. i guess i'm saying i have no offense to it because it's hard to upset about set genders when at the core of it your character doesn't really have one. 

I believe Warframe tends to embrace the ideas of Transhumanism and Posthumanism (seems to me, anyway).  In that context, the "form", the body, of the person (where the Tenno are concerned) is more of an accessory, a tool, or a cosmetic choice.

Although our cultural identities may not always mesh well with the aforementioned notions, I don't think we're meant to identify with our Tenno's Warframes (the suits, the tools they use) as we are with our Tenno themselves (whom we never see).  I also don't think our Tenno necessarily identifies gender with the physical characteristics (sex) of whatever Warframe they wear at a given time.

Edit: typos

It's certainly more forgiving in that context. This is my current thoughts on that angle, if so inclined.

I have to admit, considering a Posthuman/Transhuman narrative, it still stands to reason that Tenno could identify in a Gender aspect as that's a perception of self more than a 'physical' thing. I mean, a lot of people will recognise as their born sex if pressed, otherwise known as being Cisgender. Others will just simply not be comfortable in their own skin, as its the wrong body for their identification.

So...sure, the terrible possibility that the whole thing was involuntarily forced upon the eventual Tenno (considering the codex entries like Ember and Rhino Prime)...but on the flip side I guess for any that were 'uncomfortable' with their given human body, the Warframe exo-armour (if that's even accurate any more. The Orokin descriptions could be propaganda to calm the masses, after all) would be almost liberating. Admittedly not the best option but...silver linings and all that.

The whole sexual dimorphism traits frames have could just be the Orokin being Anthropocentric really. Considering the whole 'gods' analogue Tenno have...sculpting bodies that mirror the human form, albeit exaggerated to suit ends, would do more for cultural ego and military morale than some amorphous general forms. Sure, as Mag's Prime codex showed, it didn't entirely work, but, considering that the Orokin were basically humans...it's not for nothing that Xenophanes said the following:

"But if cattle and horses and lions had hands

or could paint with their hands and create works such as men do,

horses like horses and cattle like cattle

also would depict the gods' shapes and make their bodies

of such a sort as the form they themselves have."

sourced here

Apologies for rambling, again.

Edited by Blakrana

Are you defying the Valkyr Booty's glory?

Valk and  Excalibur have Hands down the best butts.

And to OP: No problems here. I can play as any frame as long as i like the skillset and/or design. Sexexchange was in the original concept (as you can see in Nyx; she was fem excal model before rework) but scratched cuz too much effort as mentioned before.

I'm not looking too much at Excal butt since I'm a male and it would look like normal butt no matter what but yes I AM DEFYING VALKYR BOOTY GLORY!!

Mesa is new booty queen.

:P

I'm not looking too much at Excal butt since I'm a male and it would look like normal butt no matter what but yes I AM DEFYING VALKYR BOOTY GLORY!!

Mesa is new booty queen.

:P

You do know that valkyr and mesa share the same body model, right ? They have exactly the same butt and everything else lol.

Edited by kiteohatto