Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do You Deal With Tired/burning Eyes?

Chub_N_Tuck

When playing a game like Warframe, one of the biggest problems that people face can be too much flashing visual effects and an overload of abilities directly to your face that make your eyes tired and burn.

I wear glasses and my eyes' prescriptions are pretty bad. I have astigmatism also.

For reasons completely irrelevant, I recently purchased a pair of sunglasses with the prescripted lenses. I just thought it's necessary now. So I was playing Warframe the other day, and my eyes were so sore from playing a bit, but I still wanted to play. So I put on my sunglasses for the heck of it, and it made a world of a difference. I could still feel my eyes hurting, but the pain wasn't getting worse from playing.

I think brightness issue was a problem for many Warframers, so I ask you, how do you deal with too much S#&$s going on your screen other than simply turning your screen brightness down?

I take short breaks inbetween, turn WF off go grab a snack.. or something or nap.

There are Gaming glasses you can buy but i cant name them for the life of me, my friend has them.. 

they look like this.. they do help prevent repeated expose to bright light and such, so your eyes dont get tired too quickly.

07-1204%20attache%2002-02.jpg

I have lights on in the room I'm gaming in and usually have the monitor 3-4 feet away.

When I've been playing long enough that my eyes hurt/burn, I stop playing and wash my face, do something else for awhile and maybe adjust brightness.

Honestly u should just take a break every 30mins-1hr of being exposed to the game, also, after each mission you look away from your computer and/or close/rest your eyes a bit.

I believe that even somebody with good eyesight could get sore eyes from continous playing without properly resting the sight in between.

why wouldn't you have your Monitor Brightness lower if it's so extreme?

i have my Monitor at it's lowest possible Brightness setting - and even during the day, opening a window on top of my black desktop, you can visibly see the room get brighter. and this room has two windows in it, letting in plenty of Sunlight.

the best solution you can do, is lower your Brightness, or also possibly tweak your Contrast.

- - - - -

however, the best solution at any time, is when your eyes are tiring from looking at an artificial window - taking a break makes a big difference.

walk away, go outside or something, and exercise your eyes, focusing on things at many distances, especially ones that are far away, since Monitors are usually very close.

this is because while your Monitor pretends there's depth, there really isn't - and it can screw with your eyes, confusing them. taking breaks from this is recommended.

it's recommended to avoid rubbing your eyes very hard - but gentle rubbing can psychologically (and perhaps a bit physically) help. just do it gently.

tl;dr - taking breaks is a very important part of using a Computer. because it's an artificial object. it's unnatural reproduced Reality rather than Reality.

just keep that in mind. this is why the best Video Games make sure to keep opportunities to safely take breaks from Gameplay.

Edited by taiiat

I take short breaks inbetween, turn WF off go grab a snack.. or something or nap.

There are Gaming glasses you can buy but i cant name them for the life of me, my friend has them.. 

they look like this.. they do help prevent repeated expose to bright light and such, so your eyes dont get tired too quickly.

I believe their Gunnar glasses. link to site: http://www.gunnars.com/

All of this is exactly what I was going to suggest. I hear those gaming glasses are really expensive but work magic. (note: I also heard they do NOT keep staring at the screen too much from wrecking your eyes, just lessen the short term effects)

All of this is exactly what I was going to suggest. I hear those gaming glasses are really expensive but work magic. (note: I also heard they do NOT keep staring at the screen too much from wrecking your eyes, just lessen the short term effects)

Some of them are expensive as I've had a pair of Gunnar Optics. Yes, they're quite helpful, albeit only for some people. Depends on your prescription and stuff like that. They are made to keep prolonged eye contact with a computer screen less painful and lessen the effects, so yes it keeps the pain you feel from staring at your computer screen at bay. However, it'll only help your eyes for so long before the eye sores start settling back in. If you're playing for that long in the first place, you need to go outside and get some excersise I bet.

Probably Gunnars.

Edit: Tenno'd

Edited by AXCrusnik

I have above 20/20 vision but my eye doctor still told me I need to take breaks for any computer time, T.V., etc. They say 30 minute intervals, but just do it during loading screen and between missions. Look around your room and focus your eyes on various objects at different distances, made a big difference for me.

At first, the burning started 6 hours in, soon the hours became 8, then 10, then 16 hours, then the pain was gone, and so was any semblance I had of reality. Now every day it's a never ending grind, sanity being an alien thing. You learn to feed on the pain, to let it give your strength and bolster your faith in RNGesus, the pain will help you remember... You're RNGesus' now, and by extension [DE]'s.

Join us.

I know the feeling to some degree as I have a focusing issue which allows me to get dazzled fairly easily.

Here are some things you can try:

Reduce brightness setting on monitor (tends to be factory set too high anyway)

Reduce brightness in game.

Turn off Bloom.

Consider turning off adaptive exposure... The graphics are funky to me without it now but ymmv.

Be prepared to adjust gamma and contrast to compensate for picture when you mess with Brightness.

Stop playing for awhile. You will need your eyes your whole life. 

Take more breaks. 

Brightness/sunglasses etc. will help, but the most important thing is you take more breaks. And if they are getting sore and staying sore, take a long break of a day or two at least, give them time to rest, then come back. 

Never sacrifice your health for gaming, be safe Tenno!