Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mummyframe, INAROS. Behind the name

OvAeons

Just now, SpockBlock said:

Well that's because Valk's a kitty and Bastet takes form of a cat.

the Meta made Valk a kitty :P she was a vengeful Valkyrie before that and the helm is straight from Egyptian culture of the goddess with a cat head. :P

8 minutes ago, OvAeons said:

never really understood DE's choice in naming the helm that since Valk is loosley based into norse mythology :p

Well their entire series is already filled with a mash up mythological references. I don't think they care if they do the same to any particular frames theme. They are basically weapons so it be like putting a missile with cat in the name on a jet named after a dragon.

3 minutes ago, OvAeons said:

never really understood DE's choice in naming the helm that since Valk is loosley based into norse mythology :p

Bastet, in her prior incarnation as Bast was the goddess of warfare in Lower Egypt. Her original incarnation was that of the Lionness, and it was only later on that she became the goddess associated with love, protection and the like as Sehkmet was far more prominent as a war goddess.

Valkyr may be a Norse reference...but that's pretty much as far as the name goes. Her actual traits out way that a fair bit with the feline traits, what with the old whip-tail quirk and the general claws going on.

Though...yeah. If the Bastet helm was supposed to reference the Bast thing, it shouldn't have been that hard to do. The information is easily accessible, after all. Though maybe DE has just gotten more inclined to explore the broader historic and mythological landscapes of the world than the 'standard reference pools' as we're used to seeing. I mean, hey, they've dabbled in Mayan mythology which you really don't see anywhere near as much as should be seen (let alone the broader spectrum).

59 minutes ago, PH0X-1 said:

Well the name won't go to waste, they probably gonna name his alt anubis, with valkyr's bastet, they would make a better pair!

My though also. I'd be really surprised if the alt. helmet wasn't called Anubis helmet. I seriously hope they will actually release the alt. together with the frame this time.

56 minutes ago, (PS4)GamerCat535 said:

His style isn't that of Anubis though,  he'd have to be much more... T_Anubis_Tier2_Card.png?version=396957f2...this shaped.  Yup

You didn't see this yet, did you?

Edited by ShikiRen

Just a quick observation and hypothesis I'd like to contribute to this topic.

I believe DE mentioned that Inaros' high health pool would tie into his abilities. While researching the significance of Inaros, I happened across this quote from a fragment of Ctesias in relation to Inaros II.

"Inaros was executed on three stakes, fifty of the Greeks, all that she could lay hands on, were decapitated."

Perhaps this could be related to what DE has said? Possibly Inaros impales himself, dealing damage to enemies around him? There's also a mention of Inaros II being crucified instead of impaled.

Edit: Additional thing to note. DE said Inaros would have a special downed state. This could also tie in with the whole impalement thing.

Edited by Nitresco

5 minutes ago, Nitresco said:

I believe DE mentioned that Inaros' high health pool would tie into his abilities. While researching the significance of Inaros, I happened across this quote from a fragment of Ctesias in relation to Inaros II.

"Inaros was executed on three stakes, fifty of the Greeks, all that she could lay hands on, were decapitated."

Perhaps this could be related to what DE has said? Possibly Inaros impales himself, dealing damage to enemies around him? There's also a mention of Inaros II being crucified instead of impaled.

Hmm... maybe. I'm sure there will be a way to regenerate and/or protect the health (althoiugh, since it was said the initial abilities of the frame had to be toned down because it was surviving too easily makes me think there has to be some way to protect itself; merely regenerating would mean a quick and still really painful death in sorties. Or maybe the frame just has, like, 1000 base armor or something), and at least one way to expend hp.

Edited by ShikiRen

45 minutes ago, Nitresco said:

Edit: Additional thing to note. DE said Inaros would have a special downed state. This could also tie in with the whole impalement thing.

i saw that Inaros II was crucified in the end did not even think of that as a form of impalement.. interesting.. good find! and the unique down state was going to be a coffin which is pretty common for the time but i wonder if he was buried as a savior/martyr or as a criminal/disgraced.

35 minutes ago, unknow99 said:

Iranos de Bergerac...

Nuh-huh, I disagree.... :

snip----

i have always liked the 'Anubis' from unreal tournament championship 2 :P EDIT: just realized less mummy :P

RhlwaQM.jpg

or the depiction in Stargate

iVWGODo.jpg

Edit: ONE more or Anubis in Zone of the Enders

lLS8oKn.jpg

Edited by OvAeons

5 minutes ago, OvAeons said:

i saw that Inaros II was crucified in the end did not even think of that as a form of impalement.. interesting.. good find! and the unique down state was going to be a coffin which is pretty common for the time but i wonder if he was buried as a savior/martyr or as a criminal/disgraced.

i have always liked the 'Anubis' from unreal tournament championship 2 :P

or the depiction in Stargate

Edit: ONE more or Anubis in Zone of the Enders

Hey...They look great too!

Have you already seen his alternate helmet? :) If not, you might be very happy afterwards...

1 minute ago, unknow99 said:

Hey...They look great too!

Have you already seen his alternate helmet? :) If not, you might be very happy afterwards...

yeah i saw someone post above and liked it immediately XD even though i already really liked the default helm :P

I have always wanted to make an Anubis head dress/make up/mask/helmet thing which involved painting my entire upper body black :p

14 minutes ago, OvAeons said:

yeah i saw someone post above and liked it immediately XD even though i already really liked the default helm :P

I have always wanted to make an Anubis head dress/make up/mask/helmet thing which involved painting my entire upper body black :p

And I always wanted to wear a Némès! (I don't need to paint my body black,it's already done)

28 minutes ago, OvAeons said:

-----------------IGNORE THIS MY REPLY BOX KEEPS BUGGING WITH QUOTES--------------------------------------

Here is how to clear quotes from your reply box:

Hold CTRL and right click on the quoted text. You'll get the option to remove it.

4 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Here is how to clear quotes from your reply box:

Hold CTRL and right click on the quoted text. You'll get the option to remove it.

By Odin's beard thank you :P i was used to just highlighting and deleting before in forums

Just now, KinetosImpetus said:

What about mobile? 

Hold your phone against your stomach, then thrust it inwards and slash to the left to commit honourable sudoku. Having some form of Sudoku app on your phone is most honourable. 

Then, your second may complete the ritual by dropping an old fashioned computer monitor on you, but only if you have not disgraced yourself by crying out.

interesting facts there OP, at least they didn't go with the other gods, and here's why I think they didn't go with the following.

Isis: ... yeah, I should NOT have to explain this one. you know why

Anubis: poor Anubis always ends up the Bad guy, he's my favourite Egyptian God, and probably also the first Furry. he's also a fairly common name for Egyptian stuff.

Osiris: Glad they didn't pick this, it would remind me of Destiny's Trials of Osiris. now please excuse me while I throw up at that thought *violently barfs*

Set;. can't call him this, it's not complete yet! get it? hahahaaaaanevermind..

Horus: this could have worked I guess, but probably not Vague enough.

there are others, but my knowledge on Ancient Egyptian Deities is quite rusted, though I used to read a lot of myths when i was younger. they were basically grim Fairytales, which I thought were awesome.

6 hours ago, OvAeons said:

Inaros is not a god, and most other frames are not based on gods :p and most if not all stories of gods are based on a significant happening that someone had witnessed a persons actions and coincidences. Human mind is a pretty bold thing.

I'm not saying he is. I'm just saying that we have enough god/deity references like Loki, Nyx, Atlas, Wukong, Nezha, Zephyr & possibly Valkyr.
Inaros was a good choice instead of Osiris/Horus/Anubis or any major egyptian deity.