Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Really? Sentient? That's it? (spoilers maybe?)

Heatnix.

I remember reading and seeing videos about how The Sentient would be "mind blowing" and so awesomely cool to fight against and challenging and how it would make Tenno use strategy and blah blah blah.

They hit very hard. And you can't hit them very hard.

That's about it. I don't know what I was expecting but it totally wasn't that. I thought there would be new mechanics or a system or something... not just... that. I was really hoping for something new and fresh and intriguing!... instead we get... that. Flying garbage with cranked up attack and defense. I bet someone lost so much sleep designing them.................

im just kind of like ... why are there no sentients on the new 18.5 moon missions? =/

so currently the sentients ONLY show up in the 2-3 u18 missions =/

its like DE forgot to add them or something =/ and/or they forgot to spread them out to the other tilesets, since the drones are clearly on uranus, but the others never show up there =/

28 minutes ago, CY13ERPUNK said:

im just kind of like ... why are there no sentients on the new 18.5 moon missions? =/

its like DE forgot to add them or something =/ and/or they forgot to spread them out to the other tilesets, since the drones are clearly on uranus, but the others never show up there =/

I don't know about you, but I really don't want Sentients dropping in on spy, rescue, or defense missions.

28 minutes ago, CY13ERPUNK said:

Actually, they show up in the new moon tileset rescue mission. One appears in one of the orokin jail cells if you enter the wrong one.

20 minutes ago, BlazerEraser said:

Well, considering we only fight sentient scouts or whatever...you know...the equivalent of a corpus crewman....their higher ups should prove more of a pain than the rest.

And, if I'm understanding it correctly, the Sentient we're fighting right now are just "shards" of Hunhow. They're not even a full Sentient being.

3 hours ago, Maicael said:

And, if I'm understanding it correctly, the Sentient we're fighting right now are just "shards" of Hunhow. They're not even a full Sentient being.

And lord knows what kind of cataclysmic horror Hunhow would be in full power.

I expected more as well. They were nice at first from normal enemies but then just got in the way with how much dmg they could do whether you dodge or not. 
I expected them to learn your dodging methods, and abilties and them dodging out of the way and taking less ability damage, instead of..

making you just use a corrosive blast primary/secondary and viral/radiation of the opposite primary/secondary to kill them, and running away for distance because thats what they are. 

We need something highly mobile without teleporting, decent damage but not "omg what was that", decent defense, no invuls, no 99% dmgreduction 

14 minutes ago, Maicael said:

Yeah.

The full sentient is probably that giant... Thing that you can sometimes see on Uranus sharkwing extraction.

They said the Sentients would be a slow introduction. Already, they DO have some pretty neat mechanics, it's just most players decimate them too fast or get decimated.

For instance, they can bond with each other, get new abilities based on what parts they have or don't have, pick up OTHER sentient parts, and recover their comrade's oro to get stronger.

And that's just with TWO variants of the mook types.

Once more are introduced, there's gonna be some crazy interactions between them and they're gonna be a LOT tougher to fight. The carriers, for example, are like 3 times our size.

And don't even get me started on the TRUE Sentients which are over 150m tall.

I just get the opposite of excitement when I have to fight them. I don't know, I just... they just hit so hard and that's their one thing =p. I was hoping for a shield that requires aiming or having to break specific parts or having to use melee first to off balance them to land a hit-- even have them hit each other. They're just so boringly strong right now. It feels like they overhyped them and then didn't know what to do after putting their bar way up there.

I enjoy fighting them from time to time, but they have a couple of problems:

• They are too hard for mid tier weapons - they'll adapt to all your damage types before you can actually kill them
  • They are too soft for high tier weapons / weapon summon skills - you can just bruteforce them before they have a chance to do anything
  • They are vulnerable to every kind of CC - cheese them then magdump and you're in for a safe and booooooooring fight

I'd rather prefer they adapted based on damage dealt instead of hits received, and had gated health at 50% and 25% (meaning you cannot take less than 3 shots to kill them) and some kind of interruption mechanic when they hit the gates, such as a high speed dash towards safety or something like that.

That would make them more fun. Also, i personally feel they do not do enough damage but they do it the wrong way. Their attacks should be slower to charge up and easier to predict but punishing to get hit by. The ranged ones should focus on area denial instead of on gibbing you as fast as they can, and the melee ones should be faster and basically tail you keeping pressure up no matter where you go.

1 hour ago, Autongnosis said:

They are vulnerable to every kind of CC - cheese them then magdump and you're in for a safe and booooooooring fight

This one however, makes sense: We use CC abilities with Void energy.

I know, from a lore standpoint it does, but from a gameplay perspective? Not so much. Although admittedly that is more of a problem with how our powers are designed than with how our Sentients are designed tbh, but that's entirely another discussion.

I thought, based on the Codex Lore, that we would ACTUALLY have to use low-tech-guns and swords with VOID-powered augments, and our POWERS since the Sentient is supposed to be highly ALLERGIC to the Void.

But they adapt to everything.

Mirage used to rip their heads off. I want that. 

8 hours ago, arch111 said:

I thought, based on the Codex Lore, that we would ACTUALLY have to use low-tech-guns and swords with VOID-powered augments, and our POWERS since the Sentient is supposed to be highly ALLERGIC to the Void.

But they adapt to everything.

Mirage used to rip their heads off. I want that. 

That's where Operators come into use with their focus powers, they are working on them, more or less, but i'm expecting the Operators to have more roles in the future, this year they said a big quest is gonna drop, i can only what it will be.

yeah, when they first released on console, I was excited too, then it turns out that unless you bring at  least 4-5 different damage types with you, you're gonna struggle with them. thankfully now they can only adapt to 1 IPS damage at a time, but they can still tank any element going. I think they're almost where they need to be, just reduce the damage on that stupid disco laser of theirs and they'll be balanced enough IMO.

I avoid them like the plauge. Never been a fan of bulletsponges. 

One i have rebuild the four warframes that i added lenses to and destroyed them i can at least be ride of focus for ever in my game. 

Then i can enjoy the real game and forgot that second dream ever existed. 

I think DE made a lot of questionable decisions during that quest part. Even though the lore got turned into garbage i was hoping for the sentient to not be that-- but nope, lore and gameplay just went "meh".

I think they just stopped caring =p. At one point they just decided to do whatever since they knew people would still play anyway. I don't think at all that there's anyone in there that actually thought "hey, maybe the whole tenno thing idea we have isn't as good. Also we could make the Sentient be actual challenges and not the biggest, most 101 cop out in gaming". So much potential thrown away...

14 minutes ago, Heatnix. said:

I think DE made a lot of questionable decisions during that quest part. Even though the lore got turned into garbage i was hoping for the sentient to not be that-- but nope, lore and gameplay just went "meh".

I think they just stopped caring =p. At one point they just decided to do whatever since they knew people would still play anyway. I don't think at all that there's anyone in there that actually thought "hey, maybe the whole tenno thing idea we have isn't as good. Also we could make the Sentient be actual challenges and not the biggest, most 101 cop out in gaming". So much potential thrown away...

So due to the fact that you don't like the current lore (Warframe's lore being some of the most interesting and unique in any sci-fi universe) you believe they've stopped caring? That seems rather narcissistic and insulting, and if you watch even 5 minutes of any devstream it becomes clear that Warframe isn't just a job, it's a passion project.

On topic: I quite like the Sentients, although they have the same old problem in that they don't telegraph their moves that well (beyond the Battalyst's disco orb). I would have preferred some hard-hitting enemies that telegraphed their moves and exposed themselves to certain weaknesses at different times, rather than the progressive bullet sponges we have now. They are the equivalent of freaking MOAs though, so I daresay actual Sentients would be terrifying.

Are they even bullet sponges, really? They take 2-4 shots with my Artemis bow, that's it, and I have to dodge a bit.  They are more challenging than most mooks in the game, but they aren't bullet sponges, hardly.

46 minutes ago, Attley said:

So due to the fact that you don't like the current lore (Warframe's lore being some of the most interesting and unique in any sci-fi universe) you believe they've stopped caring? That seems rather narcissistic and insulting, and if you watch even 5 minutes of any devstream it becomes clear that Warframe isn't just a job, it's a passion project.

On topic: I quite like the Sentients, although they have the same old problem in that they don't telegraph their moves that well (beyond the Battalyst's disco orb). I would have preferred some hard-hitting enemies that telegraphed their moves and exposed themselves to certain weaknesses at different times, rather than the progressive bullet sponges we have now. They are the equivalent of freaking MOAs though, so I daresay actual Sentients would be terrifying.

Weeeell... it's because I see the devstreams that I see they don't know where they're going. The creative process is really tiresome and they have the same peeps working on the same thing for years now. To do questionable things is just natural right now. What I mean with them not caring mostly implies they're worn out.

But this topic is about sentients and how simple they are. Again, maybe they're just worn out.