The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controller vs. Keyboard

ArcaneSnowdrop

Question

What are people's opinions on using a controller versus using a keyboard? I have some trouble with the keyboard because mine is pretty small compared to my fingers, and I think Windows is causing some interface screw (trackpad doesn't always work right, status doesn't always come up) which I think is due to using Bootcamp with a Mac. However, I've seen some players complain about controllers, so what do people think?

6 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

I can't imagine playing Warframe with a controller. It's way too fast-paced.

As a controller player, I feel the exact opposite. I didn't have a gaming PC until very recently, and as such all of my twitch reflexes are in my thumbs and forefingers, rather than my entire hand. Trying to use WASD and stretch my fingers out to hit the numbers for powers slows me down more than letting my thumbs do what they've been doing for a long time.

Different strokes for different folks. Cases like this are why two control types exist in so many games.

I've played Warframe for over a year on PS4 with a controller, and before that I played for well over a year on PC with mouse and keyboard. Before that I played most of my games on console however, but from my experience either setup can work fine. If it's as you say however, and you're playing with a too small keyboard as well as a freaking tracpad? You'd be muuuch better off with either a controller or an external mouse and keyboard.

Edit: The only warning I can give you for controller is you may be strapped for button mapping. I still can't figure out a setup to use my powers and both sticks at the same time, other than constantly using claw.

Edited by (PS4)Ninnamon

KB&M are always better for precision aiming at speed.

Controllers are usually somewhat better for movement with their analog control. Also, better for use when lounging about on the couch.

If games have tons of embedded menus (consolization...), then controllers might be more convenient overall, if aiming isn't too much of an issue (games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls).

If games need tons of hotkeys (WoW), then KB&M are pretty much a necessity--and multi-button mice in addition.

Depends what you're doing. Need drives the gear train.

I use a xbox one controller with the keys rebound for myself and i find it to be much nicer on longer play times than on the keyboard. You do lose some accuracy and getting through menus is a bit of a pain. But in the liset and such just use your keyboard and mouse. Over all i find controller to be very fluid for warframe.

I like playing with both, i use the controller when i need my finger to rest form the void fatigue, the only problem i have is that menues, with the controller it doesnt work well pn PC, i have to use my mousse to select the missions and the arsenal, its not 100% working, i don't know why, because on console you have options to select some menues with a controller but not on pc. You just have to config the key proprely and its pretty cool and easy to play.

Maybe there are settings to activate first.

I've just recently switched to playing Warframe on the PC after a few months playing it on PS4, and really, you should stick with the one that you prefer the most. I tried getting used to the keyboard after using the controller for so long and it was an absolute nightmare; I had to connect my controller to my PC to get anything done. I really don't know which one is the better of the two, but if you want fast-paced game play and want quick reflexes, you should go with the controller. But there isn't any use trying to get used to one if you've already played with the other for so long.

I personally prefer mouse and keyboard, because I just can't aim well with controllers anymore.

But, I also don't have to stretch to hit the ability numbers or anything, because my mouse is bound to my abilities as well. So its slightly different for me

40 minutes ago, BlaineKodos said:

As a controller player, I feel the exact opposite. I didn't have a gaming PC until very recently, and as such all of my twitch reflexes are in my thumbs and forefingers, rather than my entire hand. Trying to use WASD and stretch my fingers out to hit the numbers for powers slows me down more than letting my thumbs do what they've been doing for a long time.

Different strokes for different folks. Cases like this are why two control types exist in so many games.

whats becouse your not used to kb yet , I know the strugle getting used to keyboard as I myself moved from console gaming to pc gaming years ago , and now I couldnt go bak to controler , its just not as precise and fast as keyboard and mouse .

your Keyboard should work fine, running on Bootcamp shouldn't be a problem.

Trackpads just tend to be meeeh, IMO.
but i'm a Trackpoint fanboy i guess you could say.

a Keyboard and Mouse is the most practical set of tools for playing Video Games, unless it's a Driving Game. you actually have enough buttons to use, and you have precise control over your camera.
some people are more comfortable with a Controller, but this is strange if you ask me since a Mouse functions like Human Muscles, while a Thumbstick does not. so the Mouse should just naturally be comfortable...

objectively speaking, a Mouse and Keyboard is more capable at performing at a higher level.
but only if you're comfortable with it.

39 minutes ago, BlaineKodos said:

if you're using a Mouse and Keyboard correctly, the keyboard hand is only moving fingers around, just as you'd do with a Controller, and Mouse hand is only moving wrist and fingers around, which is only slightly different.

If you have a controller just try it out. If you are thinking about buying one you might just want to buy keyboard/mouse, if you what you have atm doesn't work well for gaming. I tried it once and not even meleeing it works very well for me.

Both KB+M and Controller are just preference and you can learn to do both.  As for Warframe, Controllers are just comfortable for movement in any position but KB+M (and specifically the mouse) will greatly increase tracking and snap accuracy. I like to lounge around and relax most the time so I'll combine them if I feel like it; in like situations where I'm not going to be moving too much and use a mouse to snipe (like under a Frost globe).

Basically, for PvE it doesn't matter which you use. PvE doesn't have anything so extreme where either is favored. However if you are playing on PC, PvP will be much more favorable with KB+M. The amount of high speed movement while pinpoint accuracy shooting in PvP (specifically conclave, lunaro probably isn't as big a deal) will make the mouse invaluable. Its not that you cant do well in PvP with controller only that a person with KB+M is going to be having an easier time shooting in comparison.

10 hours ago, BlaineKodos said:

Blaine has conveyed my opinion on the matter very well.  Now before anyone comments with something like "you just need to get used to mouse +KB", I'm very use to them.  I prefer controller just as some prefer the KB.  It's more a preference than anything else.  

Here's a link to a Topic started by Moderator (PS4)Crackle2012 on using controllers.  I've posted my Elite Controller setup there as well as other community members.  

I hope the information helps you.  Happy Hunting Tenno.  :D

I sometimes am forced to play with a controller when I'm in a setting where I don't have space for my mouse (I play on my Laptop).  It's playable, but I just don't have that same fine-control as I do with M&K.  Controllers just feel clunky when it comes to shooters.

12 hours ago, clemza said:

I like playing with both, i use the controller when i need my finger to rest form the void fatigue, the only problem i have is that menues, with the controller it doesnt work well pn PC, i have to use my mousse to select the missions and the arsenal, its not 100% working, i don't know why, because on console you have options to select some menues with a controller but not on pc. You just have to config the key proprely and its pretty cool and easy to play.

Maybe there are settings to activate first.

Ive been usng a controller since i started playing, no issues what so ever on navigation in menus, my old 360 controller didnt work so well but that was old and wireless all fine since buying a wired xbox one controller

Do you not have the button icons coming up in the sub menus when selecting missions or in the arsenal.

Still dont know why this game is listed as keyboard and mouse only on steam, because its clearly not

24 minutes ago, ARANDOMGENT said:

360 controller

That is what i use

24 minutes ago, ARANDOMGENT said:

Do you not have the button icons coming up in the sub menus when selecting missions or in the arsenal.

Yes