The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who liked Star Chart 2.0 more than this one?

triclopic

29 minutes ago, triclopic said:

IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT

Here's the kicker, it was, it made it very hard for new players to figure out what nodes to unlock to go where, the first star map gave us the ability to view the paths, and then 2.0 we lost that, and it was a guessing game, the new one is much better when it comes to pathing, as far as "what resources are there" and doing regular missions instead of alert missions, I feel like the resource thing is just a slight oops on the devs part, and the force alert mission thing is a bug.

16 minutes ago, triclopic said:

really? i thought the grid design was so much better, and more quickly accessible when trying to find which levels had people playing them.
 it was definitely faster the other way. the rotating one was so much better! i honestly want to hear you guys give some supporting facts on how this new menu is better in terms of functionality (aesthetically, the new one looks better. more functionality with the old one tho :(

Having played on all versions of the Star Chart, Star Chart 2.0 was pretty bad.

There were times when i would spend a while looking for a particular node. I knew what planet it was on, but because it was covered up with a special mission, i'd just spin past it time after time. The mirage quest? That wasn't pretty. Having to spin a wheel to read all the info i needed. The new one shows you all the nodes, which leads on to one of the more fundamental improvements imho; missions now have a fixed location. Exta (for example) is always located in the same place, no spinning required.

There's also the fact that the new one is a lot easier to follow. Progression with 2.0 was horrendous. All you got to tell you where to go was a slight glow on a node, and you'd have many of these nodes to complete. If you follow the new map, it tells something of a story. You can see Grineer staging bases. The Floating colonies on Jupiter are a lot more obvious. The corpus mining Phobos is a lot more apparent. The map is telling a story the last one could never have.

Additionally, this is just in it's infancy. It gives DE something to work with. I would love to the the Gradivus Dilemma Event come back. I would love to move through the new star Chart and actually see Corpus and Grineer ships going to war over a node, even better if the community progress actively reflected the state of the battles - All done on the map.

I love the new one cause it gives a clear goal: do junctions, get quests, unlock more etc... The old one was a clusterfuck and I'm more than happy to have the current one. Wish I had it when I was still new. So much clearer on your goals and all.

The only problems I have are the archwing FOV and the fact we can't use multiple relics per run on endless missions.

please explain which version is 'Version 2' to you.
because we're technically on Version 4 right now. because the original design had two versions. so before i say anything i must clarify if you know what Version is what.

however the current way the Solar Map looks, the problems it acquired, are much more benign to the problems that Versions 1-3 had IMO.

8 minutes ago, blueVIP said:

Nope, Starchart 2.0 directions made no sense. This one is organized better, looks better, less laggy than the 2.0. 

Nah man, that vague ring of planets covered in dozens of vague nodes were so clear in their direction.

Just now, taiiat said:

please explain which version is 'Version 2' to you.
because we're technically on Version 4 right now. because the original design had two versions. so before i say anything i must clarify if you know what Version is what.

however the current way the Solar Map looks, the problems it acquired, are much more benign to the problems that Versions 1-3 had IMO.

I tend to think of the major changes as new versions. There might have been multiple versions of the big Warframe-sitting-on-a-star-system one, but that was one type of map to me regardless. The second type was the ring of planets, and the third is what we have now. If you assume that's what people mean, you generally avoid unnecessary confusion.

Just now, AdunSaveMe said:

I tend to think of the major changes as new versions. There might have been multiple versions of the big Warframe-sitting-on-a-star-system one, but that was one type of map to me regardless.

it still completely changed visually partway through its life. with functionality modified somewhat.
this is the problem with version numbers - people use them for buzzwords, but forget to use them when actually denoting significant changes.

i'll just go grumble about how stupid that is silently.

Starchart 2.0 was less accessible, a bit lacking in terms of direction and you had to click and drag all over the place to get to your node. It was basically an excel spreadsheet with a radial menu that served no purpose other than to annoy you. You could have just as easily given us a list of the nodes, and lists of planets and it would have done way better. In Starchart 3.0, and by extension 1.0, all you have to do is RMB to zoom out and LMB to zoom in on the planet. You don't have to deal with that kinect menu bs ever.

Edited by SethCypher

53 minutes ago, triclopic said:

That's what many of us said about the change from Star Chart 1.5 to 2.0. That Star Chart wasn't broken, worked very well, was clean, easy to follow paths, and not very system resource costly. 

Star Chart 3.0 is Star Chart 1.5, but more arty, more resource costly, visually cluttered, and more than a bit of a mess currently. So we're still at the "It wasn't broken until DE started making it artistic" point.

Maybe some day functionally will be put ahead of Art when it comes to the Star Chart designs.... I'm not going to hold my breath, as its been almost two years to get back not quite what we lost.

Edited by Brasten

Pretty much anyone who hasn't played pre U14 will easily prefer Starchart 2.0 which was a botched mess for the rest of us who played before that update. It was a mess and didn't offer a sense of progression since everything was all slapped together so sloppily.

Edited by Trowicia

If they made the nodes bigger and color coded like the last map I would be ok with this new one. Currently when i click on an invasion it takes me to the planet, I then have to look around at these microscopic mission nodes to try to identify which one has a fist inside it so i know that it is the invasion mission. In the last map i could click on any planet and easily distinguish which mission was an alert, nightmare, invasion, syndicate ect. . . 

1 hour ago, triclopic said:

want to petition the developers to change it back. it was so much better before :(

I'm sure this has been said to death, but never going to happen.  Okay I won't say never, but highly unlikely.  A lot of people worked extremely hard on this new system.  It isn't going to be reverted just because a few players dislike it.

My advice?  Take a careful look at the new system and ask yourself what it needs to make it better for you.  Do the labels needs to be clearer?  Better lighting?  bigger icons? What?  Then take those thoughts and suggest them in a feedback thread.

Yes the previous Nav map was easier, like playing a kid's game.  Everything was laid out in neat little rows that went round and round, and I honestly hated it from day 1 (day 1 being about a year ago when I started playing).  

It was pretty bland and I saw youtube videos of the old old constellation starmap and the old old HUD UI (which was far superior to the one we have now) and I wished to daisies I had found the game back then.  

At least now we have the starmap looking good again, if only they would do something about the Gui next.  I have very little trouble using the new starmap, aside from the icon size and immediately locating the node I want sometimes (such as archwing nodes).  Which I gave my feedback on and hope it becomes even better in the future.

Star chart 2.0 was easy to navigate after you figured it out: Find the boss node and draw a path from the first unlocked node to the boss node avoiding as many missions with mission types you didn't like as possible. The UI was a bit cleaner, and the size of the click regions was bigger. On the other hand, it was easy for me to get disoriented trying to find the node I was looking for whenever the nodes were not at their default rotation position. The large number of nodes on each planet also just seemed like a lot of fluff that wasn't really necessary.

Star chart 3.0 was easy to navigate from the beginning, though it did take a bit of time to get used to after being accustomed to star chart 2.0. Most of the glaring bugs have been hammered out already. My biggest complaint is that the click regions are now tiny (trying to click on Lua from the fully zoomed out star chart basically necessitates using the click region of the name label because the planet icon is so small, and planet-side missions have a similar issue).

Overall, I think star chart 3.0 is a big improvement. There are still a few bugs here and there and some usability issues that could be fixed (increasing the size of click regions, zoom in and zoom out should center on the mouse instead of the center of the screen, resources should be permanently displayed instead of requiring you to hover over the extractor UI, etc.), but that should smooth out over time.

1 I like the current version WAY better and while I do like the originals simplicity more that would not actually have hold out after all the additions to the game.

2 all this talk about new players makes me want to start up a nooby account.

Lets do this! to mastery 0 o/

Starchart 2.0 is better than this new one. The functionality and clarity was better. From a user standpoint this one looks better but is more annoying to use and get where you want, find invasions, find the right missions, etc. The color coded invasions, symbols, etc were much easier in the old one.
This is a step backwards, form over function.

12 hours ago, Shockwave- said:

Starchart 2.0 is better than this new one. The functionality and clarity was better. From a user standpoint this one looks better but is more annoying to use and get where you want, find invasions, find the right missions, etc. The color coded invasions, symbols, etc were much easier in the old one.
This is a step backwards, form over function.

Btw. A lot of things 2.0 did not have at the start. I'd give it time. 3.0 can get better with feedback.

16 hours ago, KJRenz said:

POHDfOw.jpg

As a new player, can you tell me where I should go? Where do I go to progress? How do I unlock the other planets? Do I do this mission first or the one below the one I just completed?

Choose the fastest route to the boss node, kill the boss and you can unlock a planet. Easy. After killing Vor on Mercury and getting the navigation segment, I realized that boss nodes are the key to unlocking more content, thus I proceeded to blaze through everything until I reach a boss mode, kill the boss, rinse and repeat. It's actually not that hard. But, with the additions of junctions that has completely arbitrary requirements, I'm incredibly confused even after playing for 2 years.

16 hours ago, Void_Soldier said:

Because the rank on here relates to how many posts you've made on the forums, nothing to do with in-game rank.

On another note, there hundreds of topics just like this when we transitioned from satrchart 1.0 to 2.0, they achieved nothing. But star chart 2.0 was bad, bad bad.. imo

Indeed, DE was extremely stubborn on Star Chart 2.0 (probably also something to do with the major UI change for console release, so rolling back was not straightforward as it still had to work on consoles). Contrary to some other rage inducing features that got the kinks worked out the complaints about Star Chart 2.0 never actually ceased and consensus among the vast majority of players that were around for Star Chart 1.0 was that 2.0 was a step back.

3.0 still has some niggles (eg. would be nice to see planet resources on the overview), as is to be expected but it's already *much* better than 2.0 ever was.

16 hours ago, triclopic said:

i have been playing warframe for a while and i have recruited many players, and i just want to know.... does anyone else like the old NAV menu better? the new one is harder to navigate, doesnt show what resources are available on each planet, and wont let you do a regular mission if there is an alert on the same spot. basically, i want to petition the developers to change it back. it was so much better before :(

on a positive note: i cant wait to get a new kavat. all the other new updates rule :)

It was broken, there was no sense of progression, transitioning to another planet was unintuitive and it's basic UI was bugged in various ways up until the very end (rotation with mouse wheel sometimes made it zip-spin in another direction, for one)

3.0 > 1.0 > 2.0

16 hours ago, Trowicia said:

Pretty much anyone who hasn't played pre U14 will easily prefer Starchart 2.0 which was a botched mess for the rest of us who played before that update. It was a mess and didn't offer a sense of progression since everything was all slapped together so sloppily.

I started playing over a year ago, so I experienced Starchart 2.0 from the start.

Had to go asking in region/searching wiki on how to get certain quests or to know what were the planet's order. Besides, it didn't even look like a map >_<

Love this new Starchart :D