Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we have a Despair and Opticor buff?

Lead_Codpiece

Just now, Lead_Codpiece said:

Despair: 2.5% crit/status for a rare weapon is just joke
Opticor with 20k damage once every 1.5-2 seconds is very mediocre

no opinion on despair, but Opticor DOES need a buff, or a vandal version or at least a syndicate mod.

I agree in a Despair Buff. I don't own the Weapon yet, but it's Stalkers Weapon, he's supposed to be a real threat to the Tenno, so it would only make sense if it was at least near the Spira Prime, somewhat like the Dead and Paris Prime.

I feel that the Opticor is in a good place for now. It does a massive amount of damage and the price of that damage is a low fire rate. Not sure what the issue with it is.

As for the Despair, I haven't used them in a long time (since I ranked them up) so I can't speak for them. 

5 minutes ago, Imaru said:

I feel that the Opticor is in a good place for now. It does a massive amount of damage and the price of that damage is a low fire rate. Not sure what the issue with it is.

Charge time and additional reload together are quite punishing. I think removing reload like bows (with smaller magazine size) or drastically shorten reload time would make the Opticor a decent alternative for bows. 

The Opticor is still a very good weapon but it has the same flaw as many others: why bring it when you can make twice its damage output with a better fire rate and an AoE, aka Tonkor/Synoid Simulor?

Opticor's freaking huge laser is more badass though.

Edited by JohnViande

Despair does need a buff, there's no reason to use it over the Hikou Prime or even the regular Spira outside of mastery rank.

If Opticor got the double charge rate from fire rate mods like bows it'd be in a much better place, but it's still a decent weapon.

If I were god-emperor, what I would do for the Opticor is:

• 15 round magazine
  • Press and release primary shot fires immediately, with fire rate 2.0, for damage of 200 and no splash or punchthrough.
  • Hold secondary shot to begin charging the weapon
  • First stage charge does same thing as primary
  • Second stage charge uses 2 rounds of ammo, doing 450 damage with 0.5m punchthrough and 3 meters of AOE.
  • Third stage charge uses 3 rounds of ammo, doing 1000 damage with 1 meter punchthrough and 5 meters of AOE.
  • Does not fire until trigger released, no auto-discharge

These changes are aimed more at making the weapon more flexible and fluid to actually use, and less about increasing the damage output.

3 minutes ago, JohnViande said:

why bring it when you can make twice its damage output with a better fire rate and an AoE, aka Tonkor/Synoid Simulor?

What you're saying is, nerf the Spamulor.  For all the hundreds and thousands of times people have brought this damn weapon up saying how other weapons are not as good because you have to actually aim them (how old fashioned!),  Spamulor is the outlier, not the average. The solution is obvious.

30 minutes ago, Imaru said:

As for the Despair, I haven't used them in a long time (since I ranked them up) so I can't speak for them. 

Thing is this weapon requires aim and it's is not very rewarding for it when we can use no brain no aim shotguns with way more damage output; at least this weapon could crit more consistently to compensate it charge time, it's supposed to be bfg laser cannon, isn't

Just now, Lead_Codpiece said:

Thing is... it is far from a boss killer weapon

Yes, you can clean an entire room of infested with the right mods.

(Did it once with friends in a hallway, feel bad for the infested xD).

Corpus... no one talks about them bubbles. Grineer its fun, Corrupted its even better if you bring a secondary for them bubbles.

Still, I like to use it more as a boss killer / fatality weapon.

While I agree that Despair and Hate need a bit of a boost to be on-par with Dread, the Opticor merely needs the following adjustment:

Opticor changes:

Spoiler

Charging time = damage output; can be held but will start to burn you if held too long. Releasing fires a massive beam that can be moved based on charge time. The beam would certainly vaporize all forms of life that get in it's way, when modded properly.

The charge time will also impact the radius the weapon will create (longer charge, longer range, more damage, less accuracy at max distance is AOE).

Quickfiring has a 75% chance of reserving ammunition, but does only 25% of the damage or so. Even then it should still kill most inconveniences.

Weapon clip size adjusted to 10.

Does not affect Conclave edition.

Despair changes:

Spoiler

Fire rate is like that of Hikou (Prime) and has innate punch through and will always proc puncture damage. Has a chance to cause strong bleed procs if enough knives hit the same spot (half the clip) or crit chance increases per hit (introduces weapon combo counter). Ammunition sized up to 12. Reload unchanged.

Hate changes:

Spoiler

Each hit increases the swing speed of the weapon and scales with combo counter; slash damage also scales.

Caustacyst, and elemental weapon changes:

Spoiler

Highest-damage element will have the highest chance of proccing, or will always proc first. All melee elemental weapons will also do at least one physical damage type, depending on what weapon it is (Caustacyst will deal some slash, but the proc rate for slash only occurs if another element is on the enemy already, hitting the enemy while the effects are at play will prolong the exposure until the target dies).

Caustacyst regains slash as part of it's base damage, but it only proc after any other element from it's attacks is applied. The goo will always slow any enemy in contact with it, even in Conclave.

Guns that look like they do other damage than just the element, like Detron, will gain a damage type that makes sense (Puncture for Detron).

General weapon changes:

Spoiler

Slow hitting melee weapons will also have the same change as Hate got, but the rate which the effect applies varies, damage does not increase.

Specific ranged weapons will get a combo counter, especially if they are rifles that usually deal low damage but have big clip sizes, which will amplify damage based on where you're hitting; consistent hits in one area will deal more damage than suddenly aiming for a completely different section of the enemy. Melee combo mods will influence ranged weapon effectiveness when combo counter begins racking numbers.

Some weapons' general effectiveness will decrease, such as their fire rate slowing or the lowest damage type not proccing at all, bows will be affected by this. The upside is the sharp rise of crit and status chances.

These may be manipulated to the whim of DE, but the basics should be installed in some way. 

The 'gun combo counter' would introduce the 'shoot it enough and it'll buckle' effect, but some weapons will have it in reverse (like bows) to incite full pulling of bow-strings.

I build my Opticor for status and it can half shot a lvl 100 grineer with just one shot, and it hits multiple enemies. Also it actually crits quite often even though i dont build it for crit. 

But yeah I agree with Despair needing a buff. seeing as its the rarest pre-shadow stalker drop.

Not sure about you guys but, the Opticor is weird for me. Lower damage that doesn't really compensate the low fire rate/charge time, and last time I remember, it's not hit-scan.

Better weapons than these but look less cooler: Any other bow except normal Paris/Cernos, and even Daikyu imo. But even that needs a change/buff.

Despair is a raw damage throwing knife. Right now it just has pitiful supporting stats. It can still hold its own in high level content, with proper elemental modding, so it's not really in dire need of anything at the moment. I would recommend making it a good middle-road weapon. If you want status you go Hikou, if you want crit you go Spira, if you want both you go Despair.

On 10/27/2016 at 7:52 PM, Chipputer said:

Despair is a raw damage throwing knife. Right now it just has pitiful supporting stats. It can still hold its own in high level content, with proper elemental modding, so it's not really in dire need of anything at the moment. I would recommend making it a good middle-road weapon. If you want status you go Hikou, if you want crit you go Spira, if you want both you go Despair.

For the longest time I used the Despair as a means for an ammo-efficient, high fire-rate raw elemental damage throwing weapon, and I used them more than the Hikou Primes for a good portion of last year. However, once the Spira Primes came and got their buff to match the fire-rate and reload speed of the Despairs, I ended up not using these throwing weapons because the Spira Primes were pretty much a better Despairs.

If anything, as was said in this discussion, the Despairs are the rarest pre-Shadow Stalker weapon bp drop in the game, and it would be nice to see the weapon buffed to differentiate itself from the other throwing weapons (especially the Spira Primes). Personally, I'd like to see the weapon's damage type changed to Slash instead of Puncture to emphasize on the danger of Bleed procs, and probably a generalized buff to crit and stat chance (with maybe a x2.5 crit multiplier).

As for the Opticor, I don't have any pressing opinions about buffing it but I would like to see an Opticor Vandal or a Prisma Opticor released eventually. The PBR on the Opticor would look absolutely splendid as a Vandal or a Prisma.

Edited by (PS4)Lei-Lei_23
grammar fixes

2 hours ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

Personally, I'd like to see the weapon's damage type changed to Slash instead of Puncture to emphasize on the danger of Bleed procs

This would be a neat idea.

The only issue is it'd need either a crit or status buff to support that, going back to the whole, "pitiful supporting stats."

I believe and have believed that despair is one of those weapons that you get, be excited for two days and forget about it, especially since spira prime is here. I used to use kunai back in the day, and it was my most used weapon. As soon as i got despair, i chucked in 3 forma and that thing did some wicked shredding. But the joy was limited because my pride broke once i did a t4 defence and tried to use them. The embarrasment they felt was unreal. So much for being a Stalker weapon, they are just beautified Kunai, nothing more. And yeah, stalker's whole kit is around Slash damage (ignore shadow stalker) . Hate recently got the crit buff, and dread is obviously one of, if not the best bow in the game right now (my most used weapon). But Despair? Meh. I cant even bother to take them off of the shelf anymore. Spira prime got my ninja fetishes covered. 

R.I.P Despair. You will be remebered and not sold for credits. 

PS: can't really say anything about opticor. i would love it though if it were treated like a bow, i.e, 72 max ammo, no magazine, 0.6 seconds reload, the standard charge time 0.8 and double fire rate from fire rate mods.