The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does anyone ever use the combos for stances?

Troll_Logic

11 minutes ago, (PS4)Regiampiero said:

I disagree, but I see your point. I just wouldn't want to see the complexity of Mortal Kombat. 

There should be more layers of skill for this game. I dont feel that adding combos should also make those combos mandatory for dispatching enemies. But it would add another layer of skill if players wanted to seek it out. The question... Do enough players want more combos to warrant the work needed by DE?

Edited by RawGritz

Sometimes, but mostly not. combos just don't feel great to use unless they knock an enemy down or toss them into the air a lot of the moves give no good feedback (like fighting games). swinging wildly doing flips and stylish maneuvers really feels lack luster when the enemy kinda just gets staggered a little or just face tanks as your weapon glides through them and they unload shots into you.  

2 hours ago, Troll_Logic said:

I'll admit they look cool.  But does anyone actually use them in the game?  By use them, I mean "you're playing the game and you think "I can run up on these enemies and use this specific combo to attack that group."

I never think of the combos in the game.  The missions are just too fast.

I do, specially with Blind Justice, as the RMB combo is good for multiple targets, the Hold combo is good for dealing f*cktons of damage to a single target and then shred any enemy behind them or ragdoll them, and the Pause combo is both Awesome and an effective gap closer. Gemini Cross is a really cool stance too, and pretty much all the Conclave Stances encourage to use combos.

always, at least with weapons/stances I know have slam/AoE attacks, or are more effective vs flying enemies etc. Blind Justice has a useful dashing cut if you can get the timing down, good for distant enemies and avoiding counter attacks while simultaneously cutting your opponent. I'd also regard mastering stances like Tempo Royale and Crushing Ruin as essential, as the extra CC really makes a difference.

5 hours ago, Moysa said:

defiled snapdragon on mios

started using Mios again after a long time, and I forgot how good it was. not only is the Mios great, it's stance hits Ospreys and Crawlers alike with ease, there's nothing that escapes it's combos.

5 hours ago, AutoPhox said:

I dont use combos that require a pause. its too clunky to hit the timing. If i cant guarantee execution, then i just ignore it. I use other combos, like RMB or arrow keys tho.

have you tried altering your attack speed slightly? depending on the combo, it could be far easier to get the timing down with less or more attack speed. Spoiled Strike makes up for the speed loss in damage.

that said, would love more combos on existing stances, such as Shimmering Blight and Sundering Weave.

6 hours ago, SortaRandom said:

I'd use them more if Maiming Strike builds didn't render them entirely obsolete.

When I'm not slidespamming, then I'll only use melee weapons if their stance has a good combo set (e.g. Bleeding Willow, which has a crapton of mobility+range plus a nice DPS combo).

Prior to lunaro, maiming strike could, with some know-how and good timing, be used with most weapons' combos. I was kinda sad when they changed that. Now, maiming strike is just (spinspinspinspinspinspin*∞).

E: Yarp, I duz comboz.

Edited by Xrkr
Mad about maiming strike, forgot thread.

in serious combat? hell no

while a lot of melee combos have knock downs/high damage multipliers, the fact that you have to waste a solid 3-5 seconds (and this is at full attackspeed) winding up to do anything of value means you're dead in any combat scenario that matters. It's considerably more efficient to space+look down+e for the immediate radial knockdown followed by ground finisher attack, and this doesn't even require switching directly to melee. If I need to lifestrike, then switching to melee, holding left click- and then throwing out a single melee attack will be enough to kick you death's door into max health.

if I want to have fun though and play around, a lot of the animation work is beautiful and some of the mobility (like in Gaia's Tragedy or Bullet Dance) is entertaining.

4 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

have you tried altering your attack speed slightly? depending on the combo, it could be far easier to get the timing down with less or more attack speed. Spoiled Strike makes up for the speed loss in damage.

that said, would love more combos on existing stances, such as Shimmering Blight and Sundering Weave.

Honestly, I'm just too casual(lazy) to make the pause combos work. Standard button mash and easy combos are sufficient, so I just pile on the speed+ and damage+ to compensate lol.

But I also agree that more combos or even a fancy "combos 2.0" would be interesting.

Only on certain melees where combos are still feasible to do even with 75% Berserker stacks.

Blind Justice, Tempo Royale, Cleaving Whirlwind, Crushing Ruin all have animations with enough delay to use pause combos, on top of having good RMB combos. I just spam E/slide for other melee weapons...

Edited by TotallyLagging