Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

4K UI Support

[DE]Pablo

5 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

If everyone could please attach the 'worst case scenario' screenshots to the posts as well it'd be enormously helpful - visual examples would be greatly appreciated.

here's a video i made with all the stuff that hurt me eyes lad.a vid is alil better specially bc the forums re-scale the image and stuff.

Spoiler

59 minutes ago, saDD3ath said:

here's a video i made with all the stuff that hurt me eyes lad.a vid is alil better specially bc the forums re-scale the image and stuff.

Though it's affecting everyone, 4k users included. Not just 1080p users. 

The focus school menu in your tenno chair is a pretty ridiculous example. Also those dark sector mission menus...... that resolution is so bad. 

Sorry Reb, I have not played long enough since the update to take any screens, my head hurts from looking at this blurry mess! That is no exaggeration, I am going to try to at least run the alert today if I can.

The size makes it worse, but the real problem is how blurry everything is. I can say without screenshots that the problem looks like a UI that is being rendered in a lower resolution to the game and then enlarged.

After a few hours my eyes finally adjusted to this fuzzy blobby UI, and the game is actually playable. The problem is Warframe is meant to have this blank space that got removed, for stuff like weapons popups and Ordis cracking jokes in the background, which awkwardly clip through the UI. Players have been playing Warframe for years and aren't used to it being so zoomed in. DE has gone and changed the standard that warframe should be played at, without letting players decide if they want it or not.

An example of this is why people still use the QWERTY keyboard layout when there are more efficient options such as DVORAK. The reason why most people stick with QWERTY is because the majority of people and computers use it as a default, so it's hard to use a different layout when everyone else uses the same one. If DE going to change the standard UI scaling that all Warframe players should use, then you should at least give us an option to revert and use our own scaling percentage rather than setting the minimal to this pixelated mess. It's good to have support for 4K but don't ruin it for every other resolution.

Does DE even test things anymore?

Edited by ICantPlayThis
grammar

The game looks awful now - was your plan REALLY to give us a UI that looks like it's from 1998 because of how blurry and distorted it is? This is your genius improvement that you're so proud of?

And the fact that it can't be reverted shows that you didn't test this AT ALL on non-4k resolutions. It honestly might make me quit the game if you don't get in gear and undo this colossal mistake. It seriously hurts my head to look at most of the UI screens now, and the game looks like crap. You took a crisp, clean UI, and instead of upscaling things while keeping its detail in higher resolutions, you just upscaled from, what, 800x600? And you sell this off as some great feature we're supposed to be happy about? This is appalling. 

Well played, DE, you finally managed to introduce something that bothers people's heads as much as Archwing. Great change, pats on the back all around, game looks terrible and low-res but glad you guys are happy after only testing this on 4k.

1 minute ago, Cat__Nap said:

The game looks awful now - was your plan REALLY to give us a UI that looks like it's from 1998 because of how blurry and distorted it is? This is your genius improvement that you're so proud of?

And the fact that it can't be reverted shows that you didn't test this AT ALL on non-4k resolutions. It honestly might make me quit the game if you don't get in gear and undo this colossal mistake. It seriously hurts my head to look at most of the UI screens now, and the game looks like crap. You took a crisp, clean UI, and instead of upscaling things while keeping its detail in higher resolutions, you just upscaled from, what, 800x600? And you sell this off as some great feature we're supposed to be happy about? This is appalling. 

Well played, DE, you finally managed to introduce something that bothers people's heads as much as Archwing. Great change, pats on the back all around, game looks terrible and low-res but glad you guys are happy after only testing this on 4k.

You forgot that this doesn't even properly work on 4K screens either.

On 3/3/2017 at 10:02 AM, [DE]Pablo said:

We’ve been hard at work adding 3840 × 2160 (4K) resolution support to Warframe! This has required us to change the approach we take to making our UI, and it will come with some changes for all resolutions!

First, let me show you the pain our 4K players endure at the moment: 
4kSettings.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

1kpn2w.jpg

And, now, some background: 

This happens because most of our players use either 720 or 1080 resolution, so we decided to design for the in-between resolution of 1600 x 900. When it scales down to 720, it’s still readable, and in 1080 we just add empty space around it.

So, when we add empty space around it for 4K, things look tiny. The first change is that now all screens will adjust to the resolution. If you were playing on 900 or less, there’s almost no change for you. If you are playing on any resolution greater than 900, screens now won’t have empty space around them. Instead, they will grow to match your resolution.

We also made a few setting changes to help on 4K: 

• Chat Scale allows you to make Chat larger
  • A slider to increase the size of the cursor
  • The HUD Scale now allows higher values

One key part of this change that is still being worked on is font rendering, which will be an ongoing effort for a future revision of our 4K launch! 

Will you please consider allowing those of us that play on larger screens the ability to take our UI back down to the size that it used to be?  I play on a 27" 1440p monitor & don't need glasses.  I do not appreciate my UI being huge now when set at the smallest possible UI scale.  The UI icons in the upper right corner of my screen are ~2cm tall now...that is freaking excessive.

1 hour ago, ICantPlayThis said:

You forgot that this doesn't even properly work on 4K screens either.

Wasn't aware of that, since I don't play in 4k. That makes this change even worse...and it's like they see nothing wrong with it.

Seriously, why be so sure of such a massive change that you make it irreversible because you think it's going to be great at first implementation? This is idiocy. The fact that it doesn't even do for 4k users what it's supposed to - the entire reason anyone playing at normal resolutions on PC is having to deal with a blurry game - just makes it awkward. Was this tested at all?

Just now, Cat__Nap said:

Wasn't aware of that, since I don't play in 4k. That makes this change even worse...and it's like they see nothing wrong with it.

Seriously, why be so sure of such a massive change that you make it irreversible because you think it's going to be great at first implementation? This is idiocy. The fact that it doesn't even do for 4k users what it's supposed to - the entire reason anyone playing at normal resolutions on PC is having to deal with a blurry game - just makes it awkward. Was this tested at all?

Since Pablo mentioned it, this effects any user with over (or, as some are apparently dealing with MINISCULE huds, below) 900p resolutions. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the resolution on the office computers used to test were on or around 900p, such as 1600x900.

17 hours ago, [DE]Pablo said:

It's not the sort of thing that can be reverted, it's setup on each screen, so after it was setup any additional changes done to that screen would be combined into it. It's tangled in along with dozens and dozen of changes over the past few months

is there a QA at DE? 

come on, right now EVERY user has a problem with the huge UI :(

The menu seems to broken on every resolution I try be it 800x600 or 3840x2160 it just seems to change the way it's broken. 

The best resolution seems to be about 1680x1050 although it looks like it was designed for the Xbox 360 .

We need a scale slider for the menu's, this is essential now with the range of modern resolution/screen size combinations you can get.

We also need a fix for the overlapping and blurriness.

Just now, kusaku said:

The menu seems to broken on every resolution I try be it 800x600 or 3840x2160 it just seems to change the way it's broken. 

The best resolution seems to be about 1680x1050 although it looks like it was designed for the Xbox 360 .

We need a scale slider for the menu's, this is essential now with the range of modern resolution/screen size combinations you can get.

We also need a fix for the overlapping and blurriness.

If you're going to test it on other resolutions, make sure to set the game to windowed, so it's not just perma-stretching it.

I'm just trying to get something that works.

I have tried changing the settings then restarting the game mostly.

I did tamper with windowed mode a bit but the results were undesirable.

I have done a bit of work on scaling before so I can understand why this is hard for DE to implement but I'm amazed that it got released to the public like this.

I would expect changes as major as the ui to go through public beta testing and internal testing on a wide range of resolution/screen size combinations.

17 hours ago, Egg_Chen said:

Don't rush, the 22 players using 4K are super happy right now, the rest of us, not so much! I think you have your priorities a bit backwards, if I may say so :

"Nearly 40% of Steam gamers are rocking a 1080p screen, but there aren’t enough 4K monitors in Valve's gaming survey to warrant their own entry."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/4k-gaming-insignificant

Support is one thing, I'm all for it, but "support" isn't butchering the UI for everyone else.

I play at 1440p and was immediately struck by how ugly and blurry everything was. I'm still using a HUD size similar to what used to be max because otherwise it's just too pixelated. The thing I really want to see fixed is the overlay minimap brought down to the old version pre-War Within.

16 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

If everyone could please attach the 'worst case scenario' screenshots to the posts as well it'd be enormously helpful - visual examples would be greatly appreciated.

Before at max HUD scale:vfsAkGT.jpgApSt508.jpg

Look how bad that overlay map is tho

Edited by Feltal
I play at 2560x1440 btw Edit2: added before picture

2 hours ago, desdendelle said:

New UI is terrible; all of the affected UI looks like the UI my grandpa uses - upscaled up to eleven because he's a bit old and has bad eyes.

Here are pictures, as examples.

Edit: running on 1920x1080.

Don't you hate how the overlay map obscures your vision when you explore a lot of the tileset? I use it and always have but it just sucks since TWW..

2 hours ago, desdendelle said:

New UI is terrible; all of the affected UI looks like the UI my grandpa uses - upscaled up to eleven because he's a bit old and has bad eyes.

Here are pictures, as examples.

Edit: running on 1920x1080.

Even at 4K things take up the same amount of screen space.
Which is pretty much saying: "We hope you don't need to see the 2/3rds of your screen we're going to completely cover with your mission challenge and your convergence pickups!"

It's utterly ridiculous that they thought that was appropriate or even wanted.

Warframe is game where you need to have clear space on your screen to see the action and react.
But they removed all of that from the higher resolutions.

One of the bigger reasons people go to higher resolutions is so that they can see more and have more screen-space.  The UI changes completely defeat that: You can only see the exact same amount of information as someone playing in a 900p resolution, and you won't get any more effective screen-space!
What's the point on playing on a higher resolution in warframe now?  Hopefully they can fix this...but the fact that they said that the UI scaling won't be easy to fix leads me to believe that their menu code is a mess and they need to just revert it, now, and then make their menu code easy to scale.  And this is from a professional programmer: If you're UI code is so entangled that you can't scale it without changes to every single menu manually in hard-coded places, instead of some base class or master layout-schema then you need to redesign your UI code so that you can scale all of your menus with only a few lines of code in total, not a few lines of code in every single menu.