Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

4K UI Support

[DE]Pablo

Another thing which apparently doesn't get scaled and is therefore way too small on the higher resolutions (like the mod pickups) is the crosshair, and no this is not trying to ask DE to scale them up like the rest of the hud but to just fix the entire thing:

Compare the crosshairs between the sharkwing and on ground segments of the same mission.  The archwing crosshair is useable and easy to see and notice, the on ground one is way too small to be of any use, and you can't even see the hit indicators on the on ground crosshair due to them being way too small.

16 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

If everyone could please attach the 'worst case scenario' screenshots to the posts as well it'd be enormously helpful - visual examples would be greatly appreciated.

D3xLwlN.jpg

F8lnbAt.jpg

This is absolutely obnoxious. And my UI is set to the minimum, just like it always has been. Health bars seem to be the normal res, and the ESC menu hasn't changed much, if at all, but everything else is abhorrent. People have already linked the screen clutter that is ranking up abilities or gaining focus, so I won't post those, but why on earth would you guys "fix screen clutter" by reducing effects of abilities or weapons in the past few patches, and then blow it all to heck by covering our entire screens with the UI, both in combat and not in combat?

I play on 1080p resolution, and I feel like I'm back on my old potato laptop playing games in super small resolutions with massive UIs. This is not okay.

Edit: Make sure you view these in full screen (button to the left of the image when you click on it), because the scaling down the forums do makes it look less obnoxious than it is. 

Edited by Cat__Nap

18 hours ago, [DE]Pablo said:

It's not the sort of thing that can be reverted, it's setup on each screen, so after it was setup any additional changes done to that screen would be combined into it. It's tangled in along with dozens and dozen of changes over the past few months

IF that is the case, why wasn't this shown to the community it is completely mental that changing the scaling on almost every menu in the entire game and not get feedback. Now the response is oh my bad this is awful but we can't fix it.

For some people me included it is almost unplayable with the horrible menu's and UI elements 10x the size they should be.  

I can understand wanting to accommodate players with improvements, but accommodating them at the expense of the majority of your player-base and even failing to have those you are accommodating feel happy with the change is something else. I know everyone at DE is a human being and human beings make mistakes, but how do you make such huge, egregious mistakes and fail to rectify them?

I read in a different thread that reverting this change is going to be incredibly difficult thanks to how it was "entangled in code" (in Pablo's words) with other things in the update. Then why code it like that? What made you so incredibly sure this change was going to benefit players when it did a complete 180 and actually was a detriment? DE, this is a recurring trend in almost ALL of the content creation you do. You make something you think players will like, and it turns out they absolutely hate it. Maybe you could avoid this if you actually played your own game.

Examples: Terminator Nyx, Hema Research,  the grinding for Nidus and Bard, you name it. Those are just tip of the iceberg examples. And when players actually suggest things that they want, you either fail to deliver or half-deliver with caveats. It's annoying.

My rant is done, but please, learn from your mistake on this one, and apply what you learned both retroactively and proactively. /rant

1 hour ago, Nokah said:

Since Pablo mentioned it, this effects any user with over (or, as some are apparently dealing with MINISCULE huds, below) 900p resolutions. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the resolution on the office computers used to test were on or around 900p, such as 1600x900.

Shouldn't the community have tested it ? or have been at least shown the potential changes, I mean it doesn't take much to see that scaling low res elements up to higher is going to look like complete arse. I thought my UI had bugged to be honest until I found these threads. For me it is almost unplayable with elements taking up 3/4 of the screen.

Edited by Morphooo

4 hours ago, Novemsol said:

Will you please consider allowing those of us that play on larger screens the ability to take our UI back down to the size that it used to be?  I play on a 27" 1440p monitor & don't need glasses.  I do not appreciate my UI being huge now when set at the smallest possible UI scale.  The UI icons in the upper right corner of my screen are ~2cm tall now...that is freaking excessive.

this.

please i dislike these huge UI icons etc. its really distracting simply

This change is REALLY making the UI hard to look at when the resolution is set to 1080p. I've had to continually blink my eyes whenever an affected feature pops up just to avoid being attacked by this blurry mess. Reverting this change should seriously be a high priority, as it least for me it's bordering unplayable without getting a headache. 

Not sure if this is due to the scaling issue or what, but the newer notifications seem too bright (along with noisy).

E2ijUsL.jpg

Additionally, here's the album with the rest of the images:

Edited by Sean

I play in 4k myself.  The menus and various UI icons/elements for me have now become huge.  They are to the point to where it feels somewhat nauseating to look at.  Kind of like sitting too close to the TV or movie screen.

I had no problems with the size before, but it would be great if it was converted into a toggle so people could choose the size of their UI items.

22 hours ago, [DE]Pablo said:

Before we had a few screens that always stretched up to match resolution, Like Arsenal, Mods, Main Menu, Foundry, etc. Now all screens do this, I realize things now look bigger, in some cases MUCH bigger and that might be undesirable.

Unfortunately giving you control over this is pretty complicated, since each screen is setup manually for it's own needs. Steve does have a theory of something we could try but it will take some time to investigate once we are out of the woods for the update.

Will keep you informed, once we know more, it will take some time, thanks for your patience.

PS. The HUD scale slider only affect Heads Up Display in missions, it does not affect any of the menus.

Please roll back the changes until its resolved. 1080 used to be perfectly comfortable, menus now feel like a mobile app by comparison

outside of the wasted space, what is the issue with the old 4k ui, I run 1440p, and I use the the minimal hud size (and would've gone lower if possible), and I just openened the game, after my resolution screwed up with the update, and wow the ui is afwul, overblown, bloated looking etecetera... , you said that you know were able to upscale hud even more, but you just upscaled everything, shouldn't you also add the option to downscale the hud, to atleast the orinial values., because this is giving me among other things increased eyestrain, and the urge to to quit the game (which I did five times, hoping resarting would fix it, or ... or screaming at the computer (which I'm currently doing in text for...)

21 hours ago, SLIMJIMMONSTER said:

Im sorry but how many people are using 4k monitors in warframe? Majority? This UI makes the menus look like they are made on source engine. Why force this UI on players without being able to deny the new UI.

absolutely not, source allows for small huds 9also the menus are tiny on high resolution)

I wonder how many ppl playing on 4K in comparrison to 1080p? Since they made the change, it's unbareable to either open the "Navigation" with the BIGASS text(picture below) like games from the 90' and I'm to close to everything?

Would be my guess that it's better to keep the majority of the ppl happy, when after 3 years of gameplayyou've come to a almost perfect setup and then suddenlyyou change to this?

Can't even read the text on my focustree, please we're not blind set it back to normal? And make the 4K players which would like bigger hud and text do that with a slider?

E5pqC3r.jpgaiNRNCf.jpg

Why is this not fixed yet? Change like this should be either better thought thru /tested or introduced with option "upscale UI to 4K" for those 2% of people playing on 4K, this was just sloppy work. We forgive everything but please, for the love of God, roll back this abomination. 

I think I just realized part of the issue:
It looks like DE used a UI guide that was meant for touch screens for upscaling their UI.

The size of the menus and everything else is about the size you would expect in a touch screen mobile game, not a keyboard and mouse game.
I mean just look at it: everything would be properly sized for if we were poking the screens with our fingers and wouldn't look out of place.
The massive gear and emote wheels in particular.
I started to look at the various pictures of the massive menus on a tablet and they were a good size for that type of interaction, but that is not what warframe is made for or how its played.

I'm not trying to be an arse, but maybe the UI designers should make sure that any UI guides they are following are for keyboard and mouse games, not touch-screen games.

Edited by Tsukinoki