The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon and his role

Phyrak

Hey there,

With limbo on the chopping block, there are others in line for a rework - one of those being Oberon.

How have you found playing Oberon?

Personally, I appreciate a generalist but he lacks the extra oomph that other generalists have - nidus can heal, cc and damage for instance

Theme wise - there needs to be a narrowing.

A green knight like that found in dnd seems the fit in my opinion but this must in turn give some reflection in abilities, perhaps opening up and changing them somewhat to reflect that of a knight of nature.

Which abilities if any would you change and why?

I would see renewal and hallowed ground fused into one ability, toggling as a circular aura surrounding Oberon and leaving open an ability slot for something new.

What are your thoughts on his passive and what could be changed to make it better for scaling or general purpose?

Stat wise, which should be buffed or tweaked to give him a boost in survival or just a qol?

Thank you for reading,

-Phyrak

Oberon strikes me more as a Druid than a Paladin or a Green Knight. If I was reworking him, I would basically overhaul his abilities to reflect the Druid theme. If people are so intent on having a Paladin frame, then they can always design a new frame to fit that role.

I see Oberon as the paladin meets jack-of-all-trades. He has powers any other Warframe can use better, but the catch is while most Warframes are only fixed on one type of fighting style, Oberon has a little bit of everything. 

Paladins in RPGs (such as this one, kind of) are themed around holiness, which is why Oberon is mostly white with yellow-green accents, with abilities based on holiness (Hallowed Ground, Renewal, Reckoning, Smite). His passive, however, sucks arsecheeks, and needs to be revamped somehow. 

3 minutes ago, Kerberos-3 said:

Oberon strikes me more as a Druid than a Paladin or a Green Knight. If I was reworking him, I would basically overhaul his abilities to reflect the Druid theme. If people are so intent on having a Paladin frame, then they can always design a new frame to fit that role.

How would you change his abilities and potentially his passive to fit that theme?

Shape shifting perhaps?

1 minute ago, (PS4)LeBlingKing69 said:

I see Oberon as the paladin meets jack-of-all-trades. He has powers any other Warframe can use better, but the catch is while most Warframes are only fixed on one type of fighting style, Oberon has a little bit of everything. 

Paladins in RPGs (such as this one, kind of) are themed around holiness, which is why Oberon is mostly white with yellow-green accents, with abilities based on holiness (Hallowed Ground, Renewal, Reckoning, Smite). His passive, however, sucks arsecheeks, and needs to be revamped somehow. 

What sort of passive would work better or you would hope for?

I think a multistage passive like what nidus has would be nice if it were to somehow fit

That combined with something to do with sword and shield too would be rad

But he works just fine. If anything the only changes he "needs" is the removal of his heal auto turning off when you hit full hp but keeps draining if anyone else is healing, this mechanic makes Phoenix Revival more luck based if it actually procs and messes with its bleedout extension.
His Carpet does great damage, and the ability to stack it is even nicer. However % based armor buff is rather lame when the Reckoning Augment gives you a flat bonus, making it better for the classes that would want it in the first place then the original version of the ability.

And of course his passive. I'd rather have no passive then the temp pets thing. Atleast let me shoot them, I know they will turn against me shortly. Don't make me wait until then to kill them.

3 minutes ago, corporatePaladin said:

But he works just fine. If anything the only changes he "needs" is the removal of his heal auto turning off when you hit full hp but keeps draining if anyone else is healing, this mechanic makes Phoenix Revival more luck based if it actually procs and messes with its bleedout extension.
His Carpet does great damage, and the ability to stack it is even nicer. However % based armor buff is rather lame when the Reckoning Augment gives you a flat bonus, making it better for the classes that would want it in the first place then the original version of the ability.

And of course his passive. I'd rather have no passive then the temp pets thing. Atleast let me shoot them, I know they will turn against me shortly. Don't make me wait until then to kill them.

or it would be better to have them remain loyal until death or mission complete whichever comes first then i would agree his passive is nice if even it only works on one faction(grineer)....on that note why doesnt the corpus have any animal pets or whatever they too expensive too keep/maintain?

15 minutes ago, Kerberos-3 said:

You know the only difference between a Paladin and a Druid is the nature of their magic right? One is Holy base the other is Nature based but class wise they are the same.

2 minutes ago, Phyrak said:

What sort of passive would work better or you would hope for?

I think a multistage passive like what nidus has would be nice if it were to somehow fit

That combined with something to do with sword and shield too would be rad

Well, since he's focused on nature and holiness and stuff, I might have an idea.

Spoiler

Passive - The Light

Oberon is a holy Warframe, and draws power from the Light. 

When in the Light's presence, Oberon fills a pool (like Nidus') where 1 level is gained every 10 seconds in the Light.

When 10 levels are reached, Oberon can use the Light to resurrect himself without using one of his revives. (Once per mission)

When 25 levels are reached, Oberon can summon 10 ethereal Kavats and Kubrows to deal Slash damage to surrounding enemies for 75 seconds. They do more damage to enemies previously affected by Oberon's abilities.

When 50 levels are reached, Oberon can draw the Helios and Sol, his exalted Shield and Sword, respectively. 

All these abilities scale with enemies, and can be triggered by holding the 4th ability button.

Devoted to righteousness, Oberon is the only Warframe who can utilize the Light.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)LeBlingKing69 said:

Well, since he's focused on nature and holiness and stuff, I might have an idea.

Hide contents

Passive - The Light

Oberon is a holy Warframe, and draws power from the Light. 

When in the Light's presence, Oberon fills a pool (like Nidus') where 1 level is gained every 10 seconds in the Light.

When 10 levels are reached, Oberon can use the Light to resurrect himself without using one of his revives. (Once per mission)

When 25 levels are reached, Oberon can summon 10 ethereal Kavats and Kubrows to deal Slash damage to surrounding enemies for 75 seconds. They do more damage to enemies previously affected by Oberon's abilities.

When 50 levels are reached, Oberon can draw the Helios and Sol, his exalted Shield and Sword, respectively. 

All these abilities scale with enemies, and can be triggered by holding the 4th ability button.

Devoted to righteousness, Oberon is the only Warframe who can utilize the Light.

I love the idea, but his lore would have to be switched up(somewhat) and radiation procs just don't fit that theme. He's mediocre. At everything. He could fall more into the support role that way they could change his abilities aiming towards that. Reckoning is the one ability that works amazing in any situation.

Also his passive causes problems when doing grineer missions like defense and exterminate. That has to go. Kavaat can learn the same thing with a mod. 

Smite is good as is, maybe a slight increase in orbs range may help?

Renewal and Hallowed Ground needs to become 1 ability that both protects and heal at the same time, ability needs to stay even after healing is done to stay true to regeneration since Renewal is part healing and part regeneration.

For his new ability make it a AoE ability that absorb 75% of incoming damage and convert it into healing wave, when health is full the converted damage will refill energy. 

Or make it like Well Of Life but instead of marking 1 enemy, it will mark enemies in an AoE, when each time enemy is killed, Oberon spends energy, just like Desecrate!  

Reckoning needs its range and duration increased, the way its now it just too short, also killing affected enemies (ability/ weapons) have a chance to spawn an animal spirit that fights along side Oberon for 45 seconds!

Passive :

If allies within 20 meters of Oberon takes damage, 40% of that damage is redirected to Oberon and as he losses health he gains armor until he have 5% of his left!

As someone who has mains Oberon since 2014, yes I can tell that he's underwhelming for both healing and cc, but he's still one of the most balanced frames out there. He just doesn't scale well for late-game. He's the best of both worlds, and frankly, if he were able to heal like Trinity, and CC like Saryn for example, there would really be no use for any other frame (at least for me). 

That being said, you can still make him useful for end-game. It just needs a loooooot of forma, and using the right build.

I see two issues with Oberon's appeal.

The issue within: Oberon's abilities don't synergize. They're useful in a multitude of situations, but it's a simple matter of using power X to solve problem Y, and that's about it. If we had some his powers interacting with each other, playing as Oberon would get a whole lot more interesting. Some ability synergy could make Oberon more proactive and give the player a little more agency. (Example: an additional effect on enemies who are hit with Smite while standing on Hallowed Ground, or a specific benefit that is brought to using Renewal as a squad heal over other frames' abilities.)

The issue without: Oberon's diverse toolkit is perfectly crafted to save and support a struggling squad, but the vast majority of missions are cakewalks, thanks to simple enemy AI and the ability for players to set both their power level and their difficulty level. Oberon doesn't need to save anyone if no-one's taking significant damage and are one-shotting every enemy on the map, and so he comes off as lackluster.

48 minutes ago, corporatePaladin said:

So true... Oberon's passive causes more confusion to teammates than any sort of benefit...

His role is to be a statue in Maroo's Bazaar currently :/

I don't like how his heal work, after they changed it to a drain. It should also give some armor buff and elemental ressistances.

Phoenix renewal augment shouldn't be an augment but a part of the original skill.

The passvie have to change. Like a passvie shield or armor protection that he can build by killing enemies under status effects (as most of his skill create status proc)

His ult should have a chance to makes permanent ally, up to 4 max at the same time.

Edited by clemza

First off, here's the necessary QoL changes that need to happen:

1. Hallowed ground should have been radial from the start. Just fix it, guys.

2. Renewal's regen works in the stupidest way possible. Remove the channeled regen. Add a flat regen that DOES NOT drain your energy, is positively affected by duration, and is not removed upon reaching full health, so that the phoenix renewal augment has an actual use. 

3. Make AFFECTED enemies drop health orbs when reckoning is cast, as opposed to just KILLED enemies. It's a great healing gimmick, except that it only works vs. level 10 enemies. 

Now, one of the main changes I'd like to see, I'd like to see renewal get a bit of a buff in order to be more comparable to trinity. that means giving it some way to affect shields. In my opinion, the best way to do this is to make shields have a recharge delay of 0 while renewal is in effect.

I also wouldn't mind seeing oberon get a boost to armor... he's a bit too squishy for me where he sits right now, though I usually don't use hallowed ground because of it's dumb shape, so that might help more than I think it would.

To me, Oberon's just needs tweaks to be good... I am not a dedicated Oberon player though.

That said, I can only speak to things I don't like when playing him.

1. HG boosts armor when it should really just be applying a % of Damage Resistance as that can benefit every player equally.

2. HG is too narrow, asks that the player stands in/near it and offers no range protection.. His HoT isn't fast enough to keep most frames up under concentrated ranged attacks.

How Oberon should be tuned is anybody's guess—He seems to need just a couple nudges in a few areas to be awesome without being outright OP.

... It makes me wish we had frame specific forums though for purposes of sharing best practices and identifying valid opportunity areas. 

2 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

You know the only difference between a Paladin and a Druid is the nature of their magic right? One is Holy base the other is Nature based but class wise they are the same.

Oh, they behave very differently. A Paladin is usually a very heavy, defensive melee unit with holy magic to self heal and buff his allies. A Druid is a magic unit that uses the natural forces to cause as much damage as possible, whether it's through summoned animals, plant manipulation, or use of natural elements.

4 minutes ago, Kerberos-3 said:

Oh, they behave very differently. A Paladin is usually a very heavy, defensive melee unit with holy magic to self heal and buff his allies. A Druid is a magic unit that uses the natural forces to cause as much damage as possible, whether it's through summoned animals, plant manipulation, or use of natural elements.

Based on your description, I don't see how Oberon can be considered a druid outside of appearance and his passive. Sure you could change his move set, but why not just make him a better paladin (since we're assigning classes). Hallowed Ground and Renewal seem standard issue for a paladin. Smite and Reckoning can also fit paladin when you consider that whatever isn't killed by them may have a radiation proc, which potentially get's enemy fire off of you. Also, Reckoning has a chance to make enemies drop health on kill. I think i understand why you think he should be a druid but he doesn't necessarily have to be, despite the origins of his name. I say just change his passive to something that works against more than 1 faction and tweak his abilities to be more effective for squad and solo play. A complete switch from defensive to offensive doesn't sound like a change he needs, but rather a change you want to fit your style of play.

1 hour ago, (PS4)kaibloodedge1 said:

Based on your description, I don't see how Oberon can be considered a druid outside of appearance and his passive. Sure you could change his move set, but why not just make him a better paladin (since we're assigning classes). Hallowed Ground and Renewal seem standard issue for a paladin. Smite and Reckoning can also fit paladin when you consider that whatever isn't killed by them may have a radiation proc, which potentially get's enemy fire off of you. Also, Reckoning has a chance to make enemies drop health on kill. I think i understand why you think he should be a druid but he doesn't necessarily have to be, despite the origins of his name. I say just change his passive to something that works against more than 1 faction and tweak his abilities to be more effective for squad and solo play. A complete switch from defensive to offensive doesn't sound like a change he needs, but rather a change you want to fit your style of play.

Or you could take the path of least resistance and rework his abilities to reflect the Druid theme better. Really, the only things in him that say "Paladin" are his abilities and a slight allusion to a knight's tabard on his torso. Everything else points to "Druid", from his deluxe skin, to the origins of his name, to his passive, to even his stat spread.

Oberon just needs some buffs.

Am I the only player that actually LIKES Oberon's passive? It's come in handy more often than most of the passives I've encountered.

Remember, passives aren't really meant to be massive power buffs, just a little extra.

OP when I saw your post honestly(maybe due to a lot of strong coffee the noon/afternoon)imagined Oberon on his Role dancing in some Rave or to EDM,Dubstep, Trip Hop, etc. The image that came to my mind was hilarious.

Oberon's great. His Shag Carpet of death however should be given the option to use range mods and make it wider as well and shorter like a square carpet, circle, or long like it is. The rest of his powers are awesome I love how he's a jack of all trades, some players don't like it and that's cool, not everyone has too. I do agree with those who have posted before that yeah his skills do need a buff in power b/c they don't do enough damage after mid tier, on that note however I can take my Oberon into 80-100 level missions and be the one reviving people and healing people reliably, so it's also your skill level and how you play him.