Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE, I have a bone to pick with you. (Opticor).

KX297

Now, I'm not really mad for say. More upset than anything.

The Opticor is one of my favorite weapons, but due to its various issues I don't use it all that often. 

What issues? 

Well, having to charge it up but not being able to hold said charge, low magazine, etc.

But the real issue I currently have a problem with?

The lack of innate punch through. 

Now, why does this specifically bother me so much currently?

Because the Ferrox has innate punch through.

And it is just an Opticor on a stick.

Now, do tell DE, why this laser firing stick has innate punch through but my RAIL GUN doesn't. 

I have wanted the Opticor to be buffed for awhile, but usually keep it to myself because, well, lets be honest, DE doesn't buff much and I almost find it to be a waste of breath at this point. 

The Ferrox got me to the point where I wanted to break my silence and rant a little about my neglected rail gun. 

I fear that Rivens may lead to DE buffing even LESS than they already do, so i'm hoping that some miracle and maybe even some divine intervention well get this post at least LOOKED at. 

I hope to see a day when my Opticor, shooting its 'high powered' lasers, can at least punch through something without Shred/Metal Auger. 

Edited by KX297

All of my yes.

(And before anyone points out that the Opticor has AoE, it only has AoE when you hit the geometry: a wall, floor etc.
In other words, if only has AoE if you miss.
Punchthrough shots don't trigger the AoE.)

Edited by Chroia

17 minutes ago, KX297 said:

I have wanted the Opticor to be buffed for awhile, but usually keep it to myself because, well, lets be honest, DE doesn't buff much and I almost find it to be a waste of breath at this point. 

They buff things regularly, the fact they haven't buffed your pet weapon isn't proof against that. I've always had Shred on mine, so I don't get why people think it needs innate punch-through.

The Lanka is sort of like both the Opticor and Ferrox, should the Opticor and Ferrox also get the Sniper combo meter?

6 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

They buff things regularly, the fact they haven't buffed your pet weapon isn't proof against that. I've always had Shred on mine, so I don't get why people think it needs innate punch-through.

The Lanka is sort of like both the Opticor and Ferrox, should the Opticor and Ferrox also get the Sniper combo meter?

No, the Opticor not being buffed isn't proof.

The proof is the mass amount of things that are sub-par and could use a buff but haven't (and probably won't) receive one.

And they really don't buff things 'regularly'.

They occasionally buff one or two things every other update/hotfix. 

Players have asked for the Opticor to get innate punch through for awhile. Like, since it came out. 

Just because you (and I) use Shred to give it punch through doesn't mean that it shouldn't have it at base. The Ferrox is literally an Opticor on a stick.

That leads me to this point:

This is one of those weapons that I look at and think that DE is simply releasing new toys to replace old ones rather than fixing them. 

2 minutes ago, KX297 said:

Players have asked for the Opticor to get innate punch through for awhile. Like, since it came out.

This doesn't serve your point. Players would ask that everything currently being sold for Plat is given to them for free.

This isn't a fix, there's nothing saying this weapon should have punch-through. This is a straight buff.

15 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

They buff things regularly

Said no one, ever. 

17 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

No? They're all different weapon types. 

The point is there's no logic in having Lanka and Ferrox having punch through while Opticor has none. 

9 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

This doesn't serve your point. Players would ask that everything currently being sold for Plat is given to them for free.

This isn't a fix, there's nothing saying this weapon should have punch-through. This is a straight buff.

I never said fix, I said buff.

And it's like Stoner74 said, there is no logic in this high powered laser firing gun to not have punch through when other laser weapons that presumably have less power backing them do. 

It's a friggin massive laser rifle that you have to charge to fire. 

Ya, players would ask for that, but that's dumb.

Players asking for logical and reasonable buffs is a good thing, and this would both be a logical and reasonable buff to the Opticor. 

6 minutes ago, Sirabot said:

Currently the Lanka, and update 8 weapon is stronger and better in every way than Opticor. So yeah, Opticor could use a buff.

Ya, I use the Lanka more than the Opticor currently...

I agree with this for sure. 

59 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

They buff things regularly

That depends on the items. Newer items have higher chance to be buffed if they have certain troubles because DE still monitors their development.

For other weapons? Not really. Checked the update logs and haven't seen DE buffing any older weapons since U19.4.2 when they buffed Sicarus and Glaive.

Opticor badly needs its charge time to be much shorter. Its unbearably slow even with 3!!! firerate mods, and the mechanics itself is clunky since you cant hold the charge.

The damage is not that huge and got powercreeped already to justify such slow charge.

6 hours ago, KX297 said:

Now, do tell DE, why this laser firing stick has innate punch through but my RAIL GUN doesn't. 

The Ferrox got me to the point where I wanted to break my silence and rant a little about my neglected rail gun.

I completely agree.

PS: Opticor isn't a railgun, a railgun fires a conductive projectile (metallic) by magentic induction.

5 hours ago, Jangkrik said:

That depends on the items. Newer items have higher chance to be buffed if they have certain troubles because DE still monitors their development.

For other weapons? Not really. Checked the update logs and haven't seen DE buffing any older weapons since U19.4.2 when they buffed Sicarus and Glaive.

Just Sicarus. The Glaive's buff was removed 5 minutes later.

Opticor needs innate punchthrough badly, and a charge time shorter by at least 25%. 

I really like laser weapons, and the Opticor is one of my favourite one when it comes to it, but it seems like DE has forgotten about it.

Can't blame them though, they surely have more important things to do like "fixing" Nyx, am I right?

7 hours ago, Vedlom said:

The Glaive's buff was removed 5 minutes later.

Never made it in in the first place*

But yes.

(* I'm actually fine with its charge time.

* Obligatory: 'How is it that bows have punchthrough but this hugefriggin'mundous laser doesn't.'
* Followup: 'when this dinky laser-on-a-stick does.)

I think this was a good post.

I'd like to see the Opticor buffed in the future, along with a multitude of other things (Looking at you Flux Rifle >_> ).

Good feedback from you guys. 

I would REALLY like to be able to hold the charge. Like, if we keep all the other derpy things the gun has, at least let us have the ability to hold it.

For now though, lets hope for SOME base punch through. Not even an excessive amount. Just enough to go through a couple of enemies.

18 hours ago, Jangkrik said:

The reason for that buff is because the primes were unvaulted at that point, so a non prime getting buffed that is old you might have to look further back. 

I do agree that the opticor does need a buff, I cannot remeber the last time I used mine. I think that as well as having the innate punch through, it could also have a buff the the AOE size as well, this is only my opinion though. That is mostly due to me seeing it as this games BFG from Doom and that had an oversized AOE. 

Edited by Sashmaul

Ferrox vs Opticor is the perfect example of powercreep. If they don't give some sort of buff to the Opticor, I see little reasons to use my 5 forma one instead of the Ferrox, since even with my Rivens the latter would still have more DPS/damage (and Opticor is all about damage) + utility

2 hours ago, Drufo said:

Ferrox vs Opticor is the perfect example of powercreep. If they don't give some sort of buff to the Opticor, I see little reasons to use my 5 forma one instead of the Ferrox, since even with my Rivens the latter would still have more DPS/damage (and Opticor is all about damage) + utility

Ya, DE just keeps doing this. It's kinda dumb at this point.

I'm finding it harder and harder to put down my Akstiletto Prime for other secondaries. They are just too good when compared with my other weapons.

I have currently no reason to use the Opticor aside from fun missions. It would gimp me way too hard to use it in a endless mission the way it is now.

I just want it to get something, even if it's minor.

Edited by KX297

At the risk of going off on a tangent:

3 hours ago, Drufo said:

Ferrox vs Opticor is the perfect example <snip>

Can't speak for anyone else, speaking for myself.

Without going into the whats and whys, design by landfill exists, and can work if the game is planned around it.

That said.
This is my Opticor.
jI4C2Nl.jpg

I know there are people with 100 forma, mk-1 Bratons, Carriers, 102 100 forma loadouts, and so on.
That's not me. Releveling stuff is pretty much my least-favorite activity in Warframe.
So I think it's fair to say I've put a significantly non-negligible amount of time and effort into it.

I see the Ferrox, and all I think is 'yeah, no. Not doing that again'.
So the Ferrox will be a max and trash.
Which seems a shame, but that's how it goes.

Edit:
Now that I think of it, it kinda reminds me of the reason (according to Steve) that Arcane Distillers were implemented.
To "un-wed" people from their existing, Arcane-bound cosmetics, so they have incentive - or at least don't have a disincentive - to get new cosmetics as they come out.

Edited by Chroia

26 minutes ago, Chroia said:

At the risk of going off on a tangent:

Can't speak for anyone else, speaking for myself.

Without going into the whats and whys, design by landfill exists, and can work if the game is planned around it.

That said.
This is my Opticor.
jI4C2Nl.jpg

I know there are people with 100 forma, mk-1 Bratons, Carriers, 102 100 forma loadouts, and so on.
That's not me. Releveling stuff is pretty much my least-favorite activity in Warframe.
So I think it's fair to say I've put a significantly non-negligible amount of time and effort into it.

I see the Ferrox, and all I think is 'yeah, no. Not doing that again'.
So the Ferrox will be a max and trash.
Which seems a shame, but that's how it goes.

Edit:
Now that I think of it, it kinda reminds me of the reason (according to Steve) that Arcane Distillers were implemented.
To "un-wed" people from their existing, Arcane-bound cosmetics, so they have incentive - or at least don't have a disincentive - to get new cosmetics as they come out.

Well that video was... interesting.

Describes Warframe a little too acurately. Disturbingly so. 

Brings up some good points though.

On 03/12/2017 at 4:54 AM, Vedlom said:

I completely agree.

PS: Opticor isn't a railgun, a railgun fires a conductive projectile (metallic) by magentic induction.

I'd say it's a plasma discharge weapon that during charging sets up a magnetic field that collimates and accelerates the plasma.  Thus punch through is still very logical for it.

I do think that Opticor deserves a small buff. Innate 1.5m or 2.5m punch through is reasonable.

On the sidenote, this is my Opticor. https://goo.gl/6jS5qm

I could put full Primed Cryo Rounds and get similar damage as @Chroia, I mostly use Nova and Opticor with my build doesnt need to do 16k more damage to do a better job at filling AMD.

Later on I plan to get a Riven for Euphona Prime and Ferrox so Euphona would fill the space of Opticor as pure damage dealer, 1 shot from secondary fire would do similar damage.