Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ovtavia? Really?

CuteFoxyFox

46 minutes ago, Domesticon said:

Hang on now, I remember people from the Design Council specifically saying they weren't given input on Bardframe's name and that DE had decided on their own. Are we seeing some lies here?

design council just gives their opinion and DE has the final say, it's not really much different from any random Tenno walking into the office and plopping a list of names on their desk for consideration. besides, other frames have fairly predictable/boring names too:

- Ember: the scalding remains of something that was once on fire.

- Volt: a measure of Electricity.

- Frost: an extremely thin layer of snow or ice.

you know straight away what their elements are. Saryn is an exception because not everyone's heard of Sarin, the poisonous gas. it's not just the elemental frames either:

- Mirage: kind of obvious for a frame based around light and illusions.

- Rhino; he's big and he can charge you, can you think of a better name?

Octavia is not the first frame to get an obvious name, and likely won't be the last. people need to calm down over this.

33 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

design council just gives their opinion and DE has the final say, it's not really much different from any random Tenno walking into the office and plopping a list of names on their desk for consideration. besides, other frames have fairly predictable/boring names too:

- Ember: the scalding remains of something that was once on fire.

- Volt: a measure of Electricity.

- Frost: an extremely thin layer of snow or ice.

you know straight away what their elements are. Saryn is an exception because not everyone's heard of Sarin, the poisonous gas. it's not just the elemental frames either:

- Mirage: kind of obvious for a frame based around light and illusions.

- Rhino; he's big and he can charge you, can you think of a better name?

Octavia is not the first frame to get an obvious name, and likely won't be the last. people need to calm down over this.

yeah but those aren't actual human names, you wouldn't name your daughter "frost." Frames shouldn't have human names and to be honest they  could have named it after some old composer if they wanted  it to be a real name (Like with Vauban)  But they took a common first name and used it for a warframe, this iis why Design council shouldn't be allowed to touch anything.

1 minute ago, Neptlude said:

sounds masculine tho... If we still gonna use Octave whats wrong with Octavia? 

Mesa sounds masculine, so does Mag. The same reason we don't call Saryn Serena.  Not every female name needs to add an "a" at the end like it's been conjugated. I don't want a Warframe to be given a person's name.

1 minute ago, RoboticApplesWithLasers said:

yeah but those aren't actual human names, you wouldn't name your daughter "frost." Frames shouldn't have human names and to be honest they  could have named it after some old composer if they wanted  it to be a real name (Like with Vauban)  But they took a common first name and used it for a warframe, this iis why Design council shouldn't be allowed to touch anything.

you don't seriously believe that EVERYONE on the DC agreed with it do you? you don't think that MAYBE someone on there wanted Arpeggio or whatever? and they didn't touch jack squat, this whole Octavia thing is on DE, if you're gonna be salty, at least be salty at the right people.

besides, the name doesn't matter: I couldn't care less if they named it after my mother, what ACTUALLY matters here is whether the frame is any good or not in terms of performance.

Just now, RoboticApplesWithLasers said:

Mesa sounds masculine, so does Mag. The same reason we don't call Saryn Serena.  Not every female name needs to add an "a" at the end like it's been conjugated. I don't want a Warframe to be given a person's name.

Mesa sounds Feminine for me `-` same goes for Saryn...

We already have frames that uses real humans name tho like Ember, Atlas, Loki, and Ash

4 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

you don't think that MAYBE someone on there wanted Arpeggio or whatever? and they didn't touch jack squat, 

Hehe that was me. lol

4 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

besides, the name doesn't matter: I couldn't care less if they named it after my mother, what ACTUALLY matters here is whether the frame is any good or not in terms of performance.

And ye can always nickname yer frame anyway, I call my banshee Soprana, my Titania as Aurai... etc `-`

Just now, Neptlude said:

Mesa sounds Feminine for me `-` same goes for Saryn...

We already have frames that uses real humans name tho like Ember, Atlas, Loki, and Ash

Loki is named after a norse god, Atllas after a greek Titan, Wukong and Nezha after legends, Vauban after a french engineer and none of these names exist in the vernacular.  Ember is definately not a common name, and ash is a coincidence the word "ash" has a definite meaning with or without peoople naming theiir sons after it. "octavia" is only a name derived from "octave." in it's own meaning "octavia" is not a word in it's own right.

Just now, RoboticApplesWithLasers said:

"appregio" would have been a great name. 

maybe it would, but someone at DE thought otherwise, and here we are. we all have differing opinions, and while I'm sure it's annoying for a name you dislike to be picked, you can always just call it whatever you want, it'll be your frame after all: fashion, mod and call it whatever and however you want!

1 minute ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

maybe it would, but someone at DE thought otherwise, and here we are. we all have differing opinions, and while I'm sure it's annoying for a name you dislike to be picked, you can always just call it whatever you want, it'll be your frame after all: fashion, mod and call it whatever and however you want!

Bu that's letting them be inconsistent. and I have a hard  time believingthat dDE just looked at all design council and reviewed each suggestion, it was probably a vote of popular options like Ivara was.

Well personally I would've preferred they chose "Lyra" because "Lyre" because that's what Bards use...

But I suppose I'll default to the correct way to address any Bard, as dictated by the honorable master mage Tellah.

Image result for spoony bard shakespeare

So there you have it...her name is "Spoony."

Spoiler

Image result for spoony bard shakespeare

Edited by Meta_Nexus
You spoony formatting!

9 hours ago, Zanoza-chan said:

Octave is one of the basic units of measurement in musical theory. It means a distance of 8 notes (or 12 chromatic notes) and it's also a distance between same notes (becuz there's 7 repeating notes, you know). The name looks quite suitable.

I knew what an octave is long before you wrote this and I still wouldn't have picked it. Gross.

Too bad Noisia is trademarked by Noisia haha.

10 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I don't see the big deal about the name. Octavia = female version of Octave (which has to do with music and it sounds cool). Name is fine. I've already accepted it and moved on. 

Actually the name Octave (for people) has to do with being the 8th child, as is Octavia, the Octave relating to music notes does not have a female version...

But whatever I guess...

2 hours ago, RoboticApplesWithLasers said:

Tell that to the Phoneix family, and their kids: Rain, Summer, Liberty and River.

Edited by Carnage2K4

56 minutes ago, Carnage2K4 said:

Actually the name Octave (for people) has to do with being the 8th child, as is Octavia, the Octave relating to music notes does not have a female version...

But whatever I guess...

The intent of the names meaning is obvious. A female name version of the music related word octave. So it is a made up word for the context it is being used for... so? Warframe is all made up fantasy. That's why I really don't see a big deal here. 

8 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

The intent of the names meaning is obvious. A female name version of the music related word octave. So it is a made up word for the context it is being used for... so? Warframe is all made up fantasy. That's why I really don't see a big deal here. 

I was making a big deal out of it... Obviously.

So Octavia?

I guess it's a Piano or a keyboard frame, as Octave is used in General for those 2 instruments although it is in fact for all.

How many octave this Octavia has? 

Would it be a BABY? since Octavia is  a Latin baby name, or would it have 8 powers? (4x2) since the name means 8 in Roman era?

Would we see Octavian? since Octavia was his sister?

Will its power be a combination of classical and musical overtones same as during the ancient roman empire era?

Too many questions?

No doubt. that frame and the name will open a whole new chapter in warframe

PS: i am glad that i know how to play piano :XP