Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PC Tenno, Was Oberon buffed, nerfed or just a reworked side grade or what?

(XBOX)SweatyPick3L

Question

4 minutes ago, Gravitus123 said:

Something is odd his 4 now supposedly strips armor but even at max power strength it barely seems to make a difference i mean 89% armor stripping should be huge right?

1 minute ago, Urlan said:

Its a flat 30% armor stripping isn't it?

Enemies need to be irradiated to strip armor.  That's what Smite and Hallowed Ground are for. 

Just now, Sajochi said:

Enemies need to be irradiated to strip armor.  That's what Smite and Hallowed Ground are for. 

They need to be standing on the Hallowed Ground for Reckoning to have the effect, being irradiated just makes Reckoning do more damage according to the notes and in practice, I honestly haven't noticed yet. The armor stripping though should be a flat 30% if I recall from earlier and that could explain why the effect isn't immediately noticeable.

Just now, Urlan said:

They need to be standing on the Hallowed Ground for Reckoning to have the effect, being irradiated just makes Reckoning do more damage according to the notes and in practice, I honestly haven't noticed yet. The armor stripping though should be a flat 30% if I recall from earlier and that could explain why the effect isn't immediately noticeable.

I misread then.  I'll be able to run my own tests once I get home. 

3 minutes ago, Sajochi said:

Nope from what i see it doesnt matter.Tested it against a lvl 100 heavy gunner tried irradiating it then using 4 and tried it by just pressing 4.It still takes the same amount of shots to kill it

1 minute ago, Urlan said:

Oh really ok im gonna check that out.

24 minutes ago, Chipputer said:

He was buffed. You don't have to think the buffs are strong or useful, but they were buffs whether your meta likes it or not.

If you're going to stretch the definition of the word 'buff' far enough to encompass these Oberon changes, then you have robbed the word of all actual meaning. He got paper changes that mean nothing in actual play, not actual buffs.

1 hour ago, KIREEK said:

You can always read the patch notes and check yourself, doesn't take much to understand how abilities worked before and how they work now.

Sinergy was achieved, he gained some CC, the abilities have better uses and the 4th remained that quick casting cc ability that many like, i say he is better, but it is YOU who needs to figure it out.

Maybe I wasn't specific enough. 

He's still the same Oberon. Not massively buffed, but if you werent good with him before, you wont be good with him now. I appreciate the changes though, it makes me use hallowed ground far more often and the armor buff while healing on hallowed ground is better than nothing.

Not all frames need to be easy mode. There needs to be a few frames for advanced players that dont want abilities doing all the work,

1 minute ago, Hypernaut1 said:

He's still the same Oberon. Not massively buffed, but if you werent good with him before, you wont be good with him now. I appreciate the changes though, it makes me use hallowed ground far more often and the armor buff while healing on hallowed ground is better than nothing.

Not all frames need to be easy mode. There needs to be a few frames for advanced players that dont want abilities doing all the work,

I hear ya

Edited by (XB1)FCastle74

After some testing with Smite, Hallowed Ground interactions, and the bonus damage on Reckoning, I have determined that Oberon has went from a jack of all trades to a Status/CC Support, which is really what he was before. The damage spread based on level for Smite is low, but it's a good utility move that can proc widespread radiation on enemies, which further buffs your Reckoning. The hallowed Ground and Renewal interaction is a tad strange as you can't see either ability (for now until the hotfix that rectifies this) but with a basic 200% power strength build you can get 400 flat armor  that can stick around for a while if you go Strength>Duration>Range. It's on par with the base armor for tank frames and benefits squishy frames more. reckoning is still as good as it was before, now it has bonuses that require some tactical decisions. It gets the most out of hallowed ground with the armor reduction, but can still be a good bit of CC when needed. Renewal heals the same as before but in a closer area, and it no longer stops at full HP making phoenix renewal a bit easier to use. 

Overall, until the finer points, such as caps, specific numbers, more special interactions and the like are discovered, Oberon is an excellent support frame if you want to keep the enemy off your team, or enhancing their survival. So yeah, overall buffs that aren't too over the top, but really give emphasis on proccing status to get the most out of your kit.

I tested this both in the Simulacrum and in the Sorties with a 0 forma Oberon with a decent amount of success. I'm sure I could've done better if I invested more into him and will have a more in depth look sometime in the future. 

Edited by Sajochi

He got better at what he did. Instead of jack of all trades, he's now the King of jacks. Will need more testing to fully finalize thoughts, but first impressions are positive.

I take that back.

What the hell happened?

Edited by Evanescent

4 hours ago, Chipputer said:

Buffed.

Everything he has was given more utility and/or damage. Of course the simulacrum kiddies who never played him before, anyway, are going to whine about supposed lower damage numbers and lack of usefulness, but they do that with everything.

Buffed correct, still garbage. I was excited for an oberon rework, but everyone I have asked who tested him in missions and simalcrum said he is useless.

Smite - Direct buff, now possibly the second strongest 1 in the game behind Ash

HG - It's the same with a status proc chance.. They said they would buff damage but it has not been changed. The new carpet layout is much nicer. 

Renewal -  traded unlimited range on renewal for having renewal being semi-toggle-able. Meh. Armor buff is decent, but I believe it goes on top of your current armor, so Steel fiber does not buff it. 

Reckoning - Still slam jam with an armor debuff if they are on HG. I really wished they would have added blind to the targets affected by Reckoning. 

Overall very meh rework. Could have been much better and put him in the top two boxes, but he'll remain as one of the most underused frames. 

He was buffed, but the buffs were such a small insignificant amount that you won't notice any difference. And Renewal is still a jumbled mess that makes no sense.

Oberon is still Oberon. This rework changed nothing.

7 hours ago, Nazzami said:

Overall it is a buff but it doesn't make him a top tier frame but he is a hella lot better and makes a great support frame giving out additional armour (means he give + armour instead of a % of armour) armour

Off topic but your glyph. I wants it lol. Guess it's a YouTubers? If so, which one?

On topic. Scaling abilities certainly sounds like a buff to me. This rework might just encourage me to use him again. Loved him when he was released but I wasn't a big fan of the whole 'jack of all trades' thing that became apparent and, like most frames, was put on the backburner due to my one love, Frost.

Edited by Naith