Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should staff use ideas from fan concepts

3 minutes ago, Phatose said:

No.  At most, it should be inspirational - at most.  Amateurs shouldn't be doing DE's job.

But what if they are really good, have tons of positive feedback, solid set of abilities and good design. There are people that are capable of doing such things. And putting that amateurs shouldn't be doing DE's job is stupid since tennogen and steam workshop is based on amateurs ideas

2 minutes ago, (Xbox One)TestIplayer said:

For example my ideas I know they won't make it, but for example Thyfus has ove 5000 comments of positive feedback and a really badass design

Typhus* and have you seen Nidus? They took inspiration, didnt copy pasta.

Just now, (Xbox One)TestIplayer said:

But what if they are really good, have tons of positive feedback, solid set of abilities and good design. There are people that are capable of doing such things. And putting that amateurs shouldn't be doing DE's job is stupid since tennogen and steam workshop is based on amateurs ideas

Then DE can take inspiration from it.  They've done so in the past, and will likely do so in the future.  But outright design?  No.

And really, positive rep is a terrible method of determining whether an idea is good or not.  At best, it determines popularity, which is disconnected from quality - especially considering simple self interest by players, ignoring anything long term.

Do any of them have access to DE's particular vision and future intentions?

Steam Workshop and Tennogen do not allow any changes to game mechanics - it's purely aesthetic.  Because amateurs shouldn't be designing mechanics in a game where they could do major damage.  With Tennogen, the worst they can be is ugly - and even then, the devs get final say in what goes into the game.

So, No, not even then.  Let DE take ideas, make them their own the way they did with Zephyr, but not direct importation.

11 minutes ago, Phatose said:

No.  At most, it should be inspirational - at most.  Amateurs shouldn't be doing DE's job.

This right here.

For example, if I had my way this game would play more like Bayonetta than what it does now, and no one wants that but me. Fans can offer ideas, and sometimes DE takes inspiration from them, but none of us are getting paid to make games, and most of us aren't professionals.

38 minutes ago, (Xbox One)TestIplayer said:

Maybe the did or do, but there are some concepts that are really good and game changing but only the community sees them.

What do u guys think?

They've done it before, mios, mirage, zephyr, silva and aegis 

They should. 

I mean, if you were here before Parkour 2.0, there was a megathread that detailed almost all of what Parkour 2.0 is now. 

Some equipment in the game was made by fans, and are pretty good. Mios, for example, has multiple guaranteed slash procs, massive range and high crit. It's a staple melee weapon. 

Shield gating idea, though borrowed from other games, was still suggested by the fans before DE considered putting it in. When it gets here, it's far more likely that it's going to be healthier for the game's longevity than a lot of the bandaids DE puts out. 

But, look at my post. How many people are in this community, and play this game? These are all the notable examples I can think of. The community also has a ton of S#&$ty ideas. Also, all of the ideas that I listed, DE took parts of the design from what the community suggested. 

It's not like there's anything more they can do. 

I think most popular fan concepts are popular because they're generic and common.WF design is anything but generic.

Even look at tennogen. A lot of the popular skins look like something that belongs in an edgy anime.

No thanks to game design by committee.

But they should still take our suggestions into consideration.

Edited by Hypernaut1

1 hour ago, JSharpie said:

I had my way this game would play more like Bayonetta than what it does now, and no one wants that but me.

Bayonetta is amazing, and if WF had a combat system like it was designed by Platinum, this game would have a hell of a lot more players (and be way more balanced).

6 minutes ago, TrickshotMcGee said:

Bayonetta is amazing, and if WF had a combat system like it was designed by Platinum, this game would have a hell of a lot more players (and be way more balanced).

A boy can dream. I just want an evade system like in NieR: Automata.

Personally? I'd love to hear a private message from a developer saying a design I made inspired them to create something wonderful (I have a nagging suspicion about a particular weapon. . . but I'm not gonna push it).

But, a public declaration for someone from outside the Council (given the examples we've been given)? Yech, ego-stroking it feels like.

In addition, essentially cutting ideas out completely whole cloth and tacking them onto the game? Definitly not the best of ideas. Every weapon needs even the faintest amount of a check against the myriad other weapons in existence + Digital's weapon design philosophy (for better or worse). As the other folks have said, there are ideas out there which, while they may most certainly have a fancy drawing attached or SEEM well thought out, could be veritable powder-kegs of community rage or overuse.

As much as I'd love to see a fellow's thought out into the game fully intact with a Digital seal of approval on it, that's a lot of power being handed to one random mook.

They have used fan concepts in the past and will do so in the future, they won't outright use the idea - rather give their own DE spin to it.

I'm pretty sure the Nightmare and Vault mods were originally fan concepts. I'm sure there were others before but I did suggest mods with risk and reward years back.

8 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I think most popular fan concepts are popular because they're generic and common.WF design is anything but generic.

Even look at tennogen. A lot of the popular skins look like something that belongs in an edgy anime.

No thanks to game design by committee.

But they should still take our suggestions into consideration.

I recall one of the art related devs, i think it was Mynki (good luck on his future projects), said on a devstream (long ago 2013 or 2014) that the artists want to add imperfections to things like Warframe and weapon designs. I think it was after a question on Banshee's "ice skate" feet or her asymetric shoulder pad.

Take this with a grain of salt though because, as mentioned, it was a long time ago. But looking at the newest content i still see that mentality.

The reason is likely that imperfections add character. Which one could argue is actualy more difficult to do than creating something cool or awesome. It also adds to the weird design that gives Warframe it's unique visual identity.

It would be a good reason why the devs might be unwilling to lift designs straight from fanart. Either because the feel the need to add their own spin to it, or because the original design is not "flawed" enough.

However it seems pretty obvious that they are willing to take ideas or designs that fans made as inspiration.

52 minutes ago, Othergrunty said:

I recall one of the art related devs, i think it was Mynki (good luck on his future projects), said on a devstream (long ago 2013 or 2014) that the artists want to add imperfections to things like Warframe and weapon designs. I think it was after a question on Banshee's "ice skate" feet or her asymetric shoulder pad.

Take this with a grain of salt though because, as mentioned, it was a long time ago. But looking at the newest content i still see that mentality.

This was said for Nova's long neck for sure, can't remember the same about Banshee though - but yes that's one of the DE treatments to fan concepts 

1 hour ago, Othergrunty said:

The reason is likely that imperfections add character. Which one could argue is actualy more difficult to do than creating something cool or awesome. It also adds to the weird design that gives Warframe it's unique visual identity.

It would be a good reason why the devs might be unwilling to lift designs straight from fanart. Either because the feel the need to add their own spin to it, or because the original design is not "flawed" enough.

However it seems pretty obvious that they are willing to take ideas or designs that fans made as inspiration.

Even if you look at Excalibur, before he was a thing, I doubt the fan base would've chosen his current design compared to some sleek generic run of the mill cyber ninja with spikes on his elbows and a cool headband. 

Still, there are great fan designs out there that "get" the theme. Graxx skins for example. There are also some nice tennogen capes and syandanas that I think DE could learn a thing out two from (I hated the first set of capes they released)

As far as gameplay is concerned, it's hard to call because a majority of the suggestions cater too much to one kind of player or too one sided in giving the player the advantage (which ultimately makes for a less engaging experience overall). But there is still valuable feedback because we play the game 10x more than they do. Ultimately, it's up to them to decide what fits their vision and what doesn't, which is how they currently work.