The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If you hear that a weapon is mastery fodder...

Silvus-Sol

... do you even try to use it, or do you just get it to 30 and move on?

Do you base your decision more on what you experience with the weapon, or do you take the word of a 3rd party and never actually use the weapon yourself? I say 'actually use' because having it on your back for a few rounds of Akkad doesn't really count as having used it. I'm not trying to judge or hate, I'm genuinely curious as to how powerful the phrase "mastery fodder" is. I wonder how many people have opinions on how bad a weapon is when they never really gave it a shot. There are so many weapons that definitely aren't Sortie worthy, but are still very much usable on almost everything else.

It does seem a bit of a waste to have so many options only to have a portion of the community ignore them almost completely. I'm not expecting everyone to use everything in equal measure, but it would be nice to see more people giving new (or old) guns a try and forming their own opinions on them instead of accepting someone else's as law. Or perhaps I'm seeing more of a problem than there really is. Only one way to know for sure and that is to ask.

So, back to the start of this topic... If you hear that a weapon is mastery fodder, do you try to use it, or do you hit it and quit it?

Most of the weapons in this game are fodder, it requires plat or waiting long periods of time to get potatoes, why put a potato in a lato or a kraken when there are MUCH better alternatives.

Another thing is that if it struggles to kill the most basic enemies in the game, sub level 20 enemies from all factions, it is just not worth the effort to make it be able to barely scratch high level content.

I do check to see if it is ok but if it's not then it's gonna get leech xp.

Personally I ignore all meta complaints and only care about how I see myself utilizing the weapon.

Plus if it looks/sounds/feels good to use then it's always worth keeping.

But I have so many weapons now that I have plenty of good ones gathering dust.

Also I'm more inclined to toss "meta" weapons since I seem to be in the minority that actually enjoys the combat in this game more than the farming.

I personally don't think any weapon deemed as MR Fodder is truly MR Fodder until I get a chance to try it out.
Even though it might not be someone else's taste of a weapon doesn't mean some other player won't get any jollies out of it.

That's just my thought on the subject.

Edited by AEP8FlyBoy

Mastery fodder or not, whether i like it or not i always maxed them by playing it normally. For better or worse, it will at least gives me variety with my play time.

I've seen people with Rank 30 weapons without any kill at all, they literally never use the weapon and leveling them just by exp farming. If these people complain about getting burnt out, they basically brought it upon themselves.

There are 3 things that I base weapons off of and whether or not I use them.

1: General appeal. These can be visual aesthetics, sound, feel, etc. Ex: Braton was my main Assault Rifle because it felt good to use, but with the new sounds, it just seems so flat and unsatisfying. I've since retired it.

2: Stats. Of course stats play a part in it. For example, I probably would not use a gun if it only had 10% Crit and 10% Status. It needs to be decent at at least one of those things other than base damage for me to consider using it. If I did, then I'd probably only use it for up to lvl 30-40 things if it has a cool mechanic.

3: Cool Mechanics. These don't have to be limited to the weapon itself, but what it can do with mods or frames. Sobek with Acid Shells and Nova, 100% Status Kohm with Rivens, Javlok + Nidus "Bolt Throw" combo.

Edited by Xionyde134

For me it's a matter of preference. If i like the feel and/or the mechanic of the gun, it's a keeper. If not, then MR fodder or not even worth building. I know it's very subjective, but I'm here just to have fun, so I'll take whichever I can have fun with. I personally don't like ammo hoses, which is why I scrapped the Soma as soon as I leveled it. People say it can be good, and I won't disagree with them. I just don't like the weapon.

Here's the thing. Like it or not, popular opinions are popular for a reason. While I don't agree that some weapons are as garbage as the community likes to say that they are (SEE: Cernos Prime), there's a reason why they have deemed it as such and it will take you experiencing the use of the weapon to see why. Even at that, you can still agree that the weapon is bad but enjoy using it or find a niche use for it that makes it excellent for your own needs.

44 minutes ago, trst said:

Personally I ignore all meta complaints and only care about how I see myself utilizing the weapon.

Plus if it looks/sounds/feels good to use then it's always worth keeping.

But I have so many weapons now that I have plenty of good ones gathering dust.

Also I'm more inclined to toss "meta" weapons since I seem to be in the minority that actually enjoys the combat in this game more than the farming.

Basically This. I've seen very few instances where META is ever required anyways so i just play with what i like at the time.

I run it on earth exterminate completely unmodded to get a feel for it, then carry it with my other good gear, and occasionally play around with it. once it is at 30, i mod it up, and then run a few lvl 20-30 missions, if it hold up there (IE kills reasonably or provides CC/status whatever) then i slap a potato on it and forma it until it is at maximum efficiency. However, if it has an acessible variant i will usually try to get that and potato that instead.

Only a few weapons dont have at least a variant that passes this

e.g.

lato, Aklato, kraken, dual skana, plasma sword, heat dagger, ceramic dagger, gram, single viper, seer, ether sword, dual ether, ether daggers, despair, single karma are all, imo "fodder" but thats about it.

and some of then i still keep for endgame reasons (true endgame).

Edited by Elvangreen

1 hour ago, Silvus-Sol said:

... do you even try to use it, or do you just get it to 30 and move on?

People use 'mastery fodder' to describe everything from weapons they don't like, to anything that doesn't outclass the soma prime.

The term has absolutely no meaning whatsoever now. It's overused.

To say there isn't weapons that are basically true MR fodder, would be a lie.  But I also dont go the extreme with certain dispositions of weapons meaning if they dont have a maxed amount of crit or status damage/chance...  Means they are garbage.  They are not.

It all comes down to yes...  You need to rank the weapon to achieve mastery and rank up swiftly.  No... Not all weapons are certain people's cup of tea.  Use them, get the feel.  Sometimes you just like what you like.  If you want to out the time intoand flesh it out with forma, by all means do so.  Sometimes there is a weapon that for some reason you just jive with and make it great because it fits your playing style, not the overall stats.

Hence...  I know a person who can do 4 hour survival mission with just a plasma sword.  A plasma sword....  Most would say it is truly "MR fodder", but they turn it into a gem.  

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)PyreneDream said:

Hece...  I know a person who can do 4 hour survival mission with just a plasma sword.  A plasma sword....  Most would say it is truly "MR fodder", but they turn it into a gem.  

Yeah, it's MR fodder, but I could also do 4 hours with it if I had 4 hours to spare, just slap on the stealth on crit focus, take a frame that can stun and crit backstab your way to victory. 

Me and 1 other did 3 hours with only Nikanas back when relics was towers. 

If i have or im leveling it ill try i, a 3rd party opinion does lend me bias against or for the weapon but the decision to trash it is mine to make( usually trash, i am pretty meta cept the opticor as i  still hold out for a buff or vandal with cool abilities.)