Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE Fix the MR24 Test

Tsukinoki

Just did the MR24 test and it was the most interesting test so far.
It requires us to use our operator to destroy an orb before time runs out while avoiding dieing due to brood mothers and their maggots all while dealing with the orbs regenerating health.  You have energy spawners so that you can quickly recharge your operator for more blasts and lasers.

Not a bad idea as far as tests go but so far its marred by two rather large issues:
1) The brood mother can span as a Toxic Eximus.  This quickly eats into your operators HP with little you can do if one happens to spawn near you.
There is no reason for the brood mother to be able to spawn as an eximus at all during the test and adds un-needed RNG to victory.
Simple fix here is to just make it so that they can't spawn as eximus units.

2) You can just dash onto the orb and shoot at your feet to destroy it, while patiently waiting for your energy to recharge without having to worry about the infested being able to get to you at all.
This basically defeats the entire purpose of the test and makes it too easy.  This is just a simple fix of making it so that we fall through the orb.

I think with these two changes the test will be in a really good place.

I hope more interesting tests like this come up in the future.

EDIT:
Found a bigger problem about the test.
Apparently how fast the void-beam does damage is tied to the framerate of the game.  Basically if you're at 400+ FPS you'll destroy it in a single blast.  If your 60 FPS it takes a bit longer but is doable.  If you're 30 FPS then you literally can't destroy the orb fast enough.

Damage shouldn't be tied to FPS like this, this really needs a fix.

Also the operators energy regen is apparently tied to FPS as well.  If you're below 60 FPS you'll regen energy slower which compounds the damage issue.

Edited by Tsukinoki

I came expecting a salty complaint about high difficulty by someone with a raging hate boner for all things bratty operators and found legitimate feedback about bad RNG and test cheese.

Take my upvote, good sir.

dear god, is this... is this a Constructive post? where's the toxicity? the anger? you're supposed to hate these kinds of things so that we may mock you!

so we're gonna be tested on operator skills huh? this should be fun for my other clan members who hate the Operator's clunky controls more than I do..

I wish we could try out tests that are much higher mastery ranks, just for the fun of doing the simulation, not even for future practice. I've always been kinda bummed that you can't test out higher mastery rank tests in the relay, it's not like you are qualifying for anything, it's just for funsies. 

28 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I wish we could try out tests that are much higher mastery ranks, just for the fun of doing the simulation, not even for future practice. I've always been kinda bummed that you can't test out higher mastery rank tests in the relay, it's not like you are qualifying for anything, it's just for funsies. 

yeah if only they'd already bothered to make those tests already lol 

34 minutes ago, xXx_mtv_xXx said:

yeah if only they'd already bothered to make those tests already lol 

I guess my comment could be interpreted two ways. I meant more being able for an MR13 to try an MR16 test for fun, or an MR20 trying out the MR24, or something like that. Unless I am missing something, it will not let you even practice higher mastery tests than your current rank. 

1 hour ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I guess my comment could be interpreted two ways. I meant more being able for an MR13 to try an MR16 test for fun, or an MR20 trying out the MR24, or something like that. Unless I am missing something, it will not let you even practice higher mastery tests than your current rank. 

It will only allow you to try the test 1 Mastery rank higher than you are currently

Just now, Jakorak said:

It will only allow you to try the test 1 Mastery rank higher than you are currently

I wish this weren't the case. Just for the fun of trying out tests you haven't got close to reaching yet, I wish you could try any of them (that are currently released) for fun at any time. Not that it really is important though. 

20 minutes ago, Reifnir said:

Now to wait for someone to reach MR24 without completing The Second Dream/War Within (and someone will do this - out of curiosity, if anything) only to have it royally bug out :D

I wonder if that's even possible since you do get mastery for completing star chart too.

59 minutes ago, Reifnir said:

Now to wait for someone to reach MR24 without completing The Second Dream/War Within (and someone will do this - out of curiosity, if anything) only to have it royally bug out :D

Technically that's not possible as game stops you multiple times. Let me see if I can get few correlations

First is if you don't do 2nd dream > No Pluto junction > No chroma, mirage, saryn, nidus, mesa, Mirage, Excalibur (if you didn't pick as starter)

You need 2nd dream for Lua access > Without Lua you will can't defeat the sentients > Can't unlock Sedna > No Sedna means no Chroma, saryn, mirage

Another is if you don't get to Lua you cant defend 10 waves on Lua which means no Eris Junction > So no Chroma , Saryn, Mirage together with no Mesa (patient zero)

No 2nd dream > no lua > no sedna> No war within > No Glast gambit > No Nidus

These are just a few I can list I am sure there are more hurdles as some weapons are quest related and you can't afford to lose any points if you want to reach MR24. So no its not possible to reach MR24 now without doing 2nd dream. Maybe in the future when you have much more weapons and primes but I am sure its just as easy to put a simple error message saying you need to do war within to try this test if that happens. 

Dunno why a wrote such a long post for a such a simple post :facepalm:. Anyway just so you know :smile:

1 hour ago, Kusungphak said:

Technically that's not possible as game stops you multiple times. Let me see if I can get few correlations

First is if you don't do 2nd dream > No Pluto junction > No chroma, mirage, saryn, nidus, mesa, Mirage, Excalibur (if you didn't pick as starter)

You need 2nd dream for Lua access > Without Lua you will can't defeat the sentients > Can't unlock Sedna > No Sedna means no Chroma, saryn, mirage

Another is if you don't get to Lua you cant defend 10 waves on Lua which means no Eris Junction > So no Chroma , Saryn, Mirage together with no Mesa (patient zero)

No 2nd dream > no lua > no sedna> No war within > No Glast gambit > No Nidus

These are just a few I can list I am sure there are more hurdles as some weapons are quest related and you can't afford to lose any points if you want to reach MR24. So no its not possible to reach MR24 now without doing 2nd dream. Maybe in the future when you have much more weapons and primes but I am sure its just as easy to put a simple error message saying you need to do war within to try this test if that happens. 

Dunno why a wrote such a long post for a such a simple post :facepalm:. Anyway just so you know :smile:

Also, no Titania, and no Octavia - gotta do Second Dream first to get to Lua so you can complete the quest.

9 hours ago, Tsukinoki said:

I hope more interesting tests like this come up in the future.

So much i like your thread thats a clearly NOOOOO.

Playing as operator is weird and awful.Before they do more Operator stuff they should change them.

I passed the Test after i did some testruns before i did the Masterytest.Happily i did this.Higly recommend not to go unprepared in that.

Edited by K0bra

7 hours ago, Homer87 said:

No Pluto junction > No chroma, mirage, saryn, nidus, mesa, Mirage, Excalibur (if you didn't pick as starter)

For new players that's true. But for example, I had all those frames (except Nidus) before the Junctions were even implemented, I also had complete star chart access. 

Technically, all that's needed to achieve this is a returning player who missed the Junctions. Certainly rare, and may not be possible outright, but still possible.

Also, as someone already mentioned, buying them with plat is always an option as well ^^

I'm just wondering if there are any safety mechanisms behind MR24 tests to prevent such workarounds.

12 hours ago, K0bra said:

Playing as operator is weird and awful.Before they do more Operator stuff they should change them.

I passed the Test after i did some testruns before i did the Masterytest.Happily i did this.Higly recommend not to go unprepared in that.

I did 3 test runs. failed the first time. passed relatively easily the second 2 runs.

I am curious however about how many people have the sneaking suspicion that once Focus/Operator mode get their rework/link together, this test is gonna get DRAMATICALLY easier

10 minutes ago, Jakorak said:

I did 3 test runs. failed the first time. passed relatively easily the second 2 runs.

I am curious however about how many people have the sneaking suspicion that once Focus/Operator mode get their rework/link together, this test is gonna get DRAMATICALLY easier

Isn't that the point to mastery? Once you get to a certain point, anything previously will be easier. Once we "master" the Operator (i.e. higher stats) it will be a cake walk. Until then, this is the current Operator "cake walk".

giphy.gif

31 minutes ago, (PS4)A_SimpleName said:

Isn't that the point to mastery? Once you get to a certain point, anything previously will be easier. Once we "master" the Operator (i.e. higher stats) it will be a cake walk. Until then, this is the current Operator "cake walk".

giphy.gif

Not really. I think the point of Mastery tests is to test basic proficiency and knowledge of game mechanics. Combat. Movement. Hacking. Stealth. Walljumping. Soloing specific gamemodes. Archwing. Operator. Handling more than one task at a time.

It's less about 'passing a stats wall' and more about 'knowing how to play the game'

11 minutes ago, (Xbox One)AntiCaesar said:

Get rid of the Second thing. I don't want that to be removed

I know right, who wants to actually try or play the game? Moving and stuff is such a chore.

IMO they should just have a big fat button that you can jump on and win the test immediately.