Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid Prime looks really cool ! but..

Arkuno

Gosh darn it, I despise Undertow with every fiber of my being, I don't care how much damage Undertow does or how 'good' it is, ti's super boring and you're still hiding enemies from teammates and killing them way slower than a gun would, which is a shame cuz dam it!, I love how Hydroid looks I always have, and I have made builds that aren't built around Undertow and this new update of his forces you to use it. 'sigh'

Make Undertow like a Dome of water, similar to Snow Globe, and give Hydroid free movement inside of it, like Titanias 4, enemies inside of the Dome can just float, kinda like Booban's Bastille, I know these will probably never see the light of day cuz DE likes the 'puddle' mechanic, oh well.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Edited by Arkuno

16 minutes ago, Arkuno said:

Gosh darn it, I despise Undertow with every fiber of my being, I don't care how much damage Undertow does or how 'good' it is, ti's super boring and you're still hiding enemies from teammates and killing them way slower than a gun would, which is a shame cuz dam it!, I love how Hydroid looks I always have, and I have made builds that aren't built around Undertow and this new update of his forces you to use it. 'sigh'

Make Undertow like a Dome of water, similar to Snow Globe, and give Hydroid free movement inside of it, like Titanias 4, enemies inside of the Dome can just float, kinda like Booban's Bastille, I know these will probably never see the light of day cuz DE likes the 'puddle' mechanic, oh well.

I advocated to call it "Maelstrom" and have it be a dimensional spinning, swirling Whirlpool of death...basically a watery version of Zeph'nado combined with Volt's Discharge but it heals Hydroid at it's center.  And you can still tenta-grab.

Damage tick per second.  If duration Max is reached, it "spits" out the target who suffers a Blast PROC knockdown.

Even if only for the visuals.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

I'll give the puddle pirate a shot before I declare him "too boring" for my tastes. I can see your reasoning though, as sitting in a mostly stationary ability for a good portion of the match could get old quick.

It probably trivializes defense missions, so Hydroid at least has a potential niche now.

The whole puddle thing is counter-productive to this game. Everyone is flying and shooting and you're like dragging stuff into water and drowning them...when you can just finish the job with few shots. It doesn't work with most mission types. For the rest, we have better alternatives to do the same thing. And it doesn't work in interception anymore coz the range is largely reduced. It's an ability to make things complicated and more time-consuming.

The choice to center his game play around undertow disappoints me. He is my main and my build before and after has come unchanged by their centering on undertow (although i appreciate his stat buff and his other abilities able to be charged for more damage and duration). I currently use everything but undertow. So ill probably end up doing the same build when i get my prime access later today.  

Edited by zellers4

8 minutes ago, zellers4 said:

The choice to center his game play around undertow disappoints me. He is my main and my build before and after has come unchanged by their centering on undertow (although i appreciate his stat buff and his other abilities able to be charged for more damage and duration). I currently use everything but undertow. So ill probably end up doing the same build when i get my prime access later today.  

What build are you currently using on him? maybe I'll give it a shot.

7 minutes ago, Arkuno said:

What build are you currently using on him? maybe I'll give it a shot.

Currently I'm using this build. https://gyazo.com/e86680d736aa490576fb379cad0ead4a

The build is mainly based around crowd control and stripping armor from enemies. Corroding barrage after this buff is much better. 

Also keep in mind this is a build for a synergy with my friend i play with 90% of the time so the growing power is for that. the rest is just based off of survival. 

I use this in sorties everyday might i add so this is my main build. 

Edited by zellers4

Undertow was my least used ability before and looks to remain so.
The main way I'll be using it is to accurately centre a tentacle swarm (correct me if I'm wrong, but when casting it while in undertow the tentacles always appear within the radius of undertow) while continuing to run a max-range build.
I have found undertow more useful than before in missions where there is the potential need to simply remove enemies (elemental/physical-enhanced-sortie bursas, mutalist ospreys, toxic ancients, etc.). There are times when regular CC won't suffice and you simply need some enemies to not exist for a few seconds. Then again, I've only really done this when levelling weapons in sorties where it's inappropriate to do so :P 

I love puddle, i build for his other moves, I still use puddle, and i dont sit in puddle. 

You use it to set up unalert state on enemies for stealth melee damage. You stay in it for like 1-2 seconds at a time if you really know how to use him. 

Camping in puddle is a CHOICE, not a necessity. It makes him the only frame that has spammable cc with invincibility simultaneously. 

Puddle is boring because all you do is camp in it!

That's a player problem, not a hyrdoid problem. You are fully capable of using your 2 to scoop up enemies then use your 3 to drown them with help from teammates. with corroding barrage this is even easier.

Players playing lazily is a meta discussion

10 hours ago, Arkuno said:

Make Undertow like a Dome of water, similar to Snow Globe, and give Hydroid free movement inside of it, like Titanias 4...

I would be more happy if we also get an augment mod that allows Hydroid to use sharkwing equipments inside the water dome.

3 hours ago, Buzkyl said:

Puddle is boring because all you do is camp in it!

That's a player problem, not a hyrdoid problem. You are fully capable of using your 2 to scoop up enemies then use your 3 to drown them with help from teammates. with corroding barrage this is even easier.

Players playing lazily is a meta discussion

Why are you assuming I'm playing lazily? have we played before? you can barely move, yeah you can move with your 2 I guess, and scoop more in, but you still sit there and do nothing but press 1 and 2 over and over(occasionally 4 for the sweet meat tentacle slappish), but maybe its just me I don't know! maybe Hydroid is super amazing and I'm just terrible at him, but there is nothing appealing for me about Undertow but that is an opinion and opinions always differ between different people.

Regardless people aren't using him as much as he probably deserves(debatable) and at the end of the day everyone should play whats fun for them but still Undertow is lame and most people agree on him being one of the most boring frames, which upsets me cuz he has one of the most badass theme in the game.

6 hours ago, Buddhakingpen said:

I love puddle, i build for his other moves, I still use puddle, and i dont sit in puddle. 

You use it to set up unalert state on enemies for stealth melee damage. You stay in it for like 1-2 seconds at a time if you really know how to use him. 

Camping in puddle is a CHOICE, not a necessity. It makes him the only frame that has spammable cc with invincibility simultaneously. 

8 hours ago, (Xbox One)Knight Raime said:

You realize that with corrosive barrage you nuke your own puddle (providing the targets are armored) and that allies can shoot your puddle to kill them much faster right?

I personally love puddle.

Ok, I feel like I'm being misunderstood and I honestly apologize for that, I understand fully what Undertow is capable of, I know its an instant invincibility button that helps a ton on close calls, I know you can cast Corrosive Barrage on it to increase the damage, and I know the scaling of it is quite nice, I'm aware of these things, I'm pretty sure Hydroid can solo defense missions easily if given the proper build, what I'm saying is that the ability looks and plays boring, youre just a puddle of water, thats it, Hydroid is a badass pirate that can manipulate water and conjure the kraken, one of the most feared beasts in folklore and one of his most powerful abilities is him turning into a 'puddle' < thats my issue, if the ability is never changed its fine, I will still love the aesthetics of Hydroid but I will always dislike Undertow cuz I know the potential that he has, but that is also just an opinion.

Edited by Arkuno

42 minutes ago, Arkuno said:

Ok, I feel like I'm being misunderstood and I honestly apologize for that, I understand fully what Undertow is capable of, I know its an instant invincibility button that helps a ton on close calls, I know you can cast Corrosive Barrage on it to increase the damage, and I know the scaling of it is quite nice, I'm aware of these things, I'm pretty sure Hydroid can solo defense missions easily if given the proper build, what I'm saying is that the ability looks and plays boring, youre just a puddle of water, thats it, Hydroid is a badass pirate that can manipulate water and conjure the kraken, one of the most feared beasts in folklore and one of his most powerful abilities is him turning into a 'puddle' < thats my issue, if the ability is never changed its fine, I will still love the aesthetics of Hydroid but I will always dislike Undertow cuz I know the potential that he has, but that is also just an opinion.

These are all just opinions dude. But for every argument, there will almost always be a counter argument. If you come onto the internet, you gotta be prepared for that. 

In my personal opinion, its about the mechanics, not the visual. Ppl love mesa, and her 2 and 3 hardly even have visuals, dont alter your gameplay at all outside of making you tankier and making you deal more damage, and her four... well... you essentially stand in one place and click on things... which is exactly what undertow does, only it does more sustained DoT to higher level enemies, rather than burst dps to low-mid high level enemies.  And mesa is a fan favorite. 

And for the record, he's not a pirate. He's the embodiment of the water. So tthinking of it in that (canon) way, technically, one of his water moves SHOULD be stronger than a mere battle slave. 

Plus, he has 3 other AWESOME looking moves. In all honesty, most a frame is lucky to have that many cool visuals. 

12 minutes ago, Buddhakingpen said:

These are all just opinions dude. But for every argument, there will almost always be a counter argument. If you come onto the internet, you gotta be prepared for that. 

In my personal opinion, its about the mechanics, not the visual. Ppl love mesa, and her 2 and 3 hardly even have visuals, dont alter your gameplay at all outside of making you tankier and making you deal more damage, and her four... well... you essentially stand in one place and click on things... which is exactly what undertow does, only it does more sustained DoT to higher level enemies, rather than burst dps to low-mid high level enemies.  And mesa is a fan favorite. 

And for the record, he's not a pirate. He's the embodiment of the water. So tthinking of it in that (canon) way, technically, one of his water moves SHOULD be stronger than a mere battle slave. 

Plus, he has 3 other AWESOME looking moves. In all honesty, most a frame is lucky to have that many cool visuals. 

But yaaargh matey :(, and yes I forget Mesa has 3 other abilities besides her 4.

18 hours ago, Arkuno said:

Just make hydroids upper half stick out of it and be able to shot normally.

They could make the puddle an actual, much bigger surface. Like a "sea", so to speak. Hydroid could move freely inside it, below enemies, and choose which ones are dragged down. He could use melee attacks on drowning enemies, and allies could go inside the "sea" to do the same if they wish. Hydroid and teammates could choose to submerge and reemerge at will wherever they want, to keep the stealth element.

I don't like the water dome idea simply because other frames already use domes/spheres, and a flat surface is much more in tone with Hydroid and his theme. Also domes have this bad habit of obscuring visibility and getting in the way of projectiles of all kinds. At least the puddle doesn't.

Hit kit is amazing now, I've built him for control (like i did before the rework) and using all 4 of his abilities can control large areas with ease, even though his power damage is hurt in the process, but with Corrosive Barrage and a slightly sharpened prison spoon I can kill just fine most times.

His puddle is fine as is, if people don't want to stay in it they are not required to. I typically go in it only briefly for the first and fourth power buffs most times, but when things get hectic it's amazing to have invulnerability while setting up massive chaos on the battlefield and sucking in enemies like a Yoshi after he quit his diet and having teammates contribute to killing enemies in my puddle.

On a slightly related note, where is this alleged number that is supposed to show up to tell you how many enemies are inside your Undertow now? I spent all night looking on the power icon at the bottom, on the top of the screen on the left. I see nothing. What am I missing?

I've always kind of thought of Undertow as "trip to the fridge or WC".

They're both water related, right?

Admittedly, this ability isn't terribly inspirational to gameplay in general, but it does have considerable utility, both in game and out.

On 8/30/2017 at 1:00 AM, Arkuno said:

Yes, I'd say try anything but the puddle.

On 8/31/2017 at 0:52 AM, Sloan441 said:

I've always kind of thought of Undertow as "trip to the fridge or WC".

They're both water related, right?

Admittedly, this ability isn't terribly inspirational to gameplay in general, but it does have considerable utility, both in game and out.

Considerable utility?

If by considerable you mean some, and utility you mean something happens.

On 8/30/2017 at 1:29 AM, Marvelous_A said:

The whole puddle thing is counter-productive to this game. Everyone is flying and shooting and you're like dragging stuff into water and drowning them...when you can just finish the job with few shots. It doesn't work with most mission types. For the rest, we have better alternatives to do the same thing. And it doesn't work in interception anymore coz the range is largely reduced. It's an ability to make things complicated and more time-consuming.

This is the answer to all the puddle fans. Thanks.