Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Glass-Frame: What DE/Community is Getting Wrong.

Runeglyph

Just now, DarkDullahan-Prime said:

On top of that, Gara is such an overused name:

• Gara from Naruto
  • Gara from WoW
  • Gara from Guild Wars 2
  • Gara from Kamen Rider
  • Gara from Dr. Slump
  • Gara from Bastard!! (a manga)

the list goes on and on. It's super disappointing in how unoriginal this feels.

Luckily I am not home at this kind of things. Except GW2 and Wow because I played them but not sure if I remember these names. Gara is that orcish lady right?

Also yeah it seems they have had the most uninspirative name of choice for a glass themed frame. Now her crotch and her name be a nice pair and a good target of beign hated. Sad thing because still we not tested her in live action. Maybe she is fun but the popularity level goes down.

It won't be at least that chroma like fiasco with the helmet so they were wise at least to change her main helmet to the alt helm as main. But oh man that crotch...

Edited by Sziklamester

1 minute ago, Sziklamester said:

Luckily I am not home at this kind of things. Except GW2 and Wow because I played them but not sure if I remember these names. Gara is that orcish lay right?

Also yeah it seems they have had the most uninspirative name of choice for a glass themed frame. Now her crotch and her name be a nice pair and a good target of beign hated. Sad thing because still we not tested her in live action. Maybe she is fun but the popularity level goes down.

It won't be at least that chroma like fiasco with the helmet so they were wise at least to change her main helmet to the alt helm as main. But oh man that crotch...

Gara in WoW was a tameable spirit beast found in Shadowmoon Valley

9 hours ago, DarkDullahan-Prime said:

No, that's not how DE operates these things.

And if anything I'm just upset that they derived it from "garasu" which was stated as being Japanese for glass, which it is not, it's the English loanword term for glass being stated in katakana. The actual Japanese term for glass is「硝子」(Hari) meaning "Glass; Crystal" so submission is highly misinformed in this case and that upset's me that this would end up with a basis for the official name. 

Apparently Weebspeak > Actual Japanese

Wrong...garasu is a Rōmaji inscription of this

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/ガラス#Japanese

9 hours ago, DarkDullahan-Prime said:

No, that's not how DE operates these things.

And if anything I'm just upset that they derived it from "garasu" which was stated as being Japanese for glass, which it is not, it's the English loanword term for glass being stated in katakana. The actual Japanese term for glass is「硝子」(Hari) meaning "Glass; Crystal" so submission is highly misinformed in this case and that upset's me that this would end up with a basis for the official name. 

Apparently Weebspeak > Actual Japanese

Nah, i've been to japan and a lot (and i mean a ton) of people use engrish normaly. I asked people with toileto/restoroomu (since i was told to just say these) and they immidietly understood.

Not wrong, but not entirely japanese either. I dunno about you, but even in my country, using english here and there in normal conversations are normal, japanese just can't say them normalily because apparently kanjis and stuff.

3 minutes ago, DDixon286 said:

Wrong...garasu is a Rōmaji inscription of this

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/ガラス#Japanese

Correct, however ガラス is not a Japanese term, and 硝子 is a post-term kanji created for usage with it. It is still technically a foreign word, so Garasu has no basis as being "Japanese for glass"

Edited by DarkDullahan-Prime

4 minutes ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

Nah, i've been to japan and a lot (and i mean a ton) of people use engrish normaly. I asked people with toileto/restoroomu (since i was told to just say these) and they immidietly understood.

Not wrong, but not entirely japanese either. I dunno about you, but even in my country, using english here and there in normal conversations are normal, japanese just can't say them normalily because apparently kanjis and stuff.

I know how the usage is, and how it's understood. It doesn't change the fact it's a loan-word (foreign word). Just because it can be understood as that, doesn't mean it's entirely correct either, and naming something like this you don't want a bastardized derivative of the language.

I also go there for business and vacations often, so there's that.

Edited by DarkDullahan-Prime

Just now, DarkDullahan-Prime said:

I know how the usage is, and how it's understood. It doesn't change the fact it's a loan-word (foreign word). Just because it can be understood as that, doesn't mean it's entirely correct either, and naming something like this you don't want a bastardized derivative of the language.

Right. So we have the name fiasco then so maybe we will make a poll to change her name.

Ps: It should be changed if DE wish to avoid their first time name fiasco. Hydroid was also a borderline in terms of naming "totally uncreative" but maybe the Gara make a precedent to make bad names. So maybe better to change it before the publicity get on their hands on her.

Edited by Sziklamester

3 minutes ago, DarkDullahan-Prime said:

I know how the usage is, and how it's understood. It doesn't change the fact it's a loan-word (foreign word). Just because it can be understood as that, doesn't mean it's entirely correct either, and naming something like this you don't want a bastardized derivative.

It's ironic that I said something similar before the vote was even decided... Someone suggested Garasu in a separate thread from the suggestions and I mentioned it was just "glass" transliterated so it sounded cheesey/boring. Who woulda thunk DE would basically pick that name.

1 minute ago, AXCrusnik said:

It's ironic that I said something similar before the vote was even decided... Someone suggested Garasu in a separate thread from the suggestions and I mentioned it was just "glass" transliterated so it sounded cheesey/boring. Who woulda thunk DE would basically pick that name.

It was also stated in the suggestion thread by a few people, yet those corrections were utterly ignored.

2 hours ago, (PS4)vamp6x6x6x said:

Design council decided on the name.

Each time a vote is going on we don't even have an ingame notif, so 99% of the time, I simply miss it.

And even if we vote, DE still chose, this time Silica had way more votes iirc

1 hour ago, DarkDullahan-Prime said:

It doesn't change the fact it's a loan-word (foreign word). Just because it can be understood as that, doesn't mean it's entirely correct either, 

Right, that doesn't really have room for debate since it is as what you wrote. Point is, it's not entirely wrong either, but eh.:clem:

Edited by (PS4)watt4hem
Typos

7 hours ago, --Laughing-Soul-- said:

but DE has shown that they still do what they want.

It's almost like they're the developers of this game, and we're the fans who play it.

The council is just that, a council. We're not a Congress who vote on things to be inexorably put into the game. We're like a barometer for certain topics, and they extrapolate a forecast from that, but ultimately still decide what to do with that information.

4 hours ago, WhiteCr0w said:

It's almost like they're the developers of this game, and we're the fans who play it.

The council is just that, a council. We're not a Congress who vote on things to be inexorably put into the game. We're like a barometer for certain topics, and they extrapolate a forecast from that, but ultimately still decide what to do with that information.

its almost like i was explaining exactly this to people who aren't on the council since a lot of people who aren't on it think the council is an often consulted and used piece of the design process. we don't get to design anything beyond suggesting names.

12 hours ago, (PS4)BLOOD-LINE-01 said:

No, from a friend. Don't know if you're trying to be funny or just plain rude.

In case it went over your head, "uncle that works at Nintendo" was a common source of playground rumors in the days before cheap internet. These days it's used as a sarcastic quip that indicates disbelief