Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should warframes be able to "switch genders"?

ACULonSeer

Just a random thought i had. What if each frame had a "male" and "female" appearance? I think it would add even more customization to the game, especially for people who simply like to play a specific gender. For me, i normally end up choosing female frames because i think they have a bit more personality. 

There isnt really a reason why this shouldnt be done, aside from it technically doubling the workload whenever DE cranks out a new frame. Im not asking for them to be released all at once, of course, maybe one or two with each significant update.

Share your thoughts!

EDIT: Frames are just suits with powers, arent they? Why do the frames have locked "genders" like Overwatch heroes? It just feels a little confusing to me.

Edited by ACULonSeer

2 minutes ago, ACULonSeer said:

I sometimes find it hard to believe theres anything inside the frames. How do you fit someone in Octavia? her legs are like pencils.

There is something in there, just saying

AFAIK, DE already said they're not going to do that.

Fun fact: The warframe Nyx was originally designed to be a female version of Excalibur as an experiment, but instead of scrapping the assets, it was repurposed into what we have now.

In regards to the OP, you can customize your gender. I recommend you play through the main story quests to find out how.

Just now, Pizzarugi said:

Fun fact: The warframe Nyx was originally designed to be a female version of Excalibur as an experiment, but instead of scrapping the assets, it was repurposed into what we have now.

In regards to the OP, you can customize your gender. I recommend you play through the main story quests to find out how.

I was talking more about the frames. I know about the Operators and all that.

2 minutes ago, Pizzarugi said:

latest?cb=20140528141902

DE already said no. But they are willing to create 2 frames for the same theme. Nezha/Ember for example. Creating a new design/model from the scratch for all already existing Warframe is too much work. They can just create a new Warframe from the scratch using different powers and the same theme.

Edited by -SDM-NerevarCM

11 minutes ago, ACULonSeer said:

Did they happen to elaborate as to why? 

If memory serves, Rebecca mentioned in a devstream.  The guys sipped that funny drink and laughed.  Then one of them said "No" and leaned back as if staring off into The Void while mumbling a bunch of words we don't understand, and the only thing I got out of it was "too much work".

Suddenly we started getting "deluxe" skins.

What they did say they would do is make additional warframes that may have similar powers with opposite gender.   For example, a male Ember would be a warframe called [insert fire theme name here] that has a completely different set of powers that sill involves fire, but this one would be a male.  They said they did not wish to remake the same exact warframe just to make it a different gender, because that would be too much pointless or unnecessary work.  They would much rather make new warframes.

2 minutes ago, VampirePirate said:

If memory serves, Rebecca mentioned in a devstream.  The guys sipped that funny drink and laughed.  Then one of them said "No" and leaned back as if staring off into The Void while mumbling a bunch of words we don't understand, and the only thing I got out of it was "too much work".

Suddenly we started getting "deluxe" skins.

What they did say they would do is make additional warframes that may have similar powers with opposite gender.   For example, a male Ember would be a warframe called [insert fire theme name here] that has a completely different set of powers that sill involves fire, but this one would be a male.  They said they did not wish to remake the same exact warframe just to make it a different gender, because that would be too much pointless or unnecessary work.  They would much rather make new warframes.

Okay, thats a fair point. Time to wait for FemOberon i guess XD

Artistically there's a large amount of potential defacing and removal of iconic shape and form. Along with a bunch of other similar things, with skins and recolouring it already stretches the limit. More or less it removes the artists (the devs) intent and purpose for the art. So no.

Asking for a male/female switch is asking the devs to make double the number of models and skins.

The more time that passes, the more extreme this request becomes. They are long past the point of no return.

There are so many other things I'd rather they be working on at this point myself.

8 hours ago, ACULonSeer said:

But why tho?

Because of the sheer amount of extra work that they would have to put into it.

Honestly the work is better invested if they just make an entirely new warframe then just making a new model and skeleton and then having to create a copy of every skin to apply to the other gender version of the frame.
Even if we're just talking DE skins here we have 34 frames, 18 prime frames (soon to be 19), 17 delux skins, 18 immortal skins, and then the platform exclusive warframe skins that would need to be redone in order to to work on both genders of a frame.
That's an insane amount of work for DE to do, and all for little benefit, and most likely not that much money in the end.
And if DE didn't do that then you would have enough people throwing a fit about how they can't have a Female Irakala Nekros, or some other skin that they use all the time, and we don't need more drama on the forums over that can of worms.

DE would rather just make a similarly themed frame of a different gender with different abilities as that will make the most people happy and be the best use of their time and effort.