The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe will be a movie?

(XBOX)coelhodavis

2 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Yeah I would love at movie as well. Just think of all the other great video-games adapted into unforgettable cinematic masterpieces. Warcraft, Assassins Creed and Tomb Raider. And who can forget classics such as Street Fighter, Max Payne or Need for Speed. Or the incredible Prince of Persia that was totally snuffed at the 2010 oscars. Each of these amazing masterpieces has left their mark on cinematic history forever. Who wouldn't love to see Warframe join their ranks as yet another in a long list of highly successful video game adaptations?  

this might work...

I think they've already produce some decent storyline cgi ingame. Its not totally out of the realm of possibility. It'd be a good way to promote the game. Probably something based of the plains of eidolon since anything before the introduction of the Operator as a char would make a weird protagonist. Just the warframe and the lotus and ordis talking would look weird.

7 minutes ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

Mortal Kombat would like to have a word with you.

55 minutes ago, Pent_ said:

Okay but no. Warframe would make a bad movie, yes, but this kind of thinking is dumb. Halo Legends was an amazing movie. Silent Hill is a very enjoyable film. Ratchet and Clank (while more geared towards children) was still pretty decent, and even some of the resident evil movies (although completely non-canon) are good.

I think that only works if you like the source material, and... well, I don't. Don't really like Halo, don't like SH, don't like RK, don't like MK, and while I find RE interesting (as a series to enjoy from afar, cause I only played RE4 and Revelations), the only RE movie I found to be interesting was that CG one with Leon Kennedy (Degeneration?). So, eh... to me Hollywood in general makes trash. The only movie (series) that I can say I like are Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, and it's because of how solid the universes of those movies are. Everything else I ever watched... either enjoyable but forgettable or pure trash.

3 minutes ago, rune_me said:

People said the same thing about Warcraft. And then Assassins Creed.

Call me pessimistic, but I'm pretty sure it won't work.

As far as Assassin's Creed went, they made the same mistake some of the other games did, viz. focusing on the present day story. The reality is, it's the historical story that is always far more interesting. If they had focused more on 15th C. Spain, it would have been a far better film.

The only passable video game movie imo was final fantasy advent child, and even that was kinda shaky tbh.

A movie is hardly probable, as much as i would love a warframe movie, especially after seing these kinds of sht

And this

Also, yeah..

Edited by (PS4)watt4hem

Uh. . . movie, I think not, but, short animated (ANIMATED, not the Japanese variety) series for character backgrounding purposes of some of our "unsung heroes"? That'd give me a ELL YEAH!

"Origin Point: Clem"

"Origin Point: Darvo"

"Origin Point: Maroo"

Basically any background that Digital would normally never be able to touch on the grounds that it wouldn't make sense for "us Tenno" to be there or it wouldn't be "action-packed" enough could find itself come together in the form of an animated series.

Meanwhile, the villains get their backgrounds to unfold in the form of the tasty background comics they've been unleashing upon us lately. Duel-medium action baby, and both having prexisting precedents already existing in the form of Hek's ghoulish transformative comic and "100 Days of Warframe".

How's THAT sound?

In all honesty I don't really care about a movie, animated or otherwise. I also don't read the comics. The plot and lore in Warframe is about as dull and generic as it comes and I have absolutely no interest in it at all. I just like to murder things in a game that has some great weapons and good movement mechanics.

Just so long as it's not gonna spawn a "Cinematic Universe" I'd be okay with a good animated Warframe movie or two, akin to something along the lines of Batman Under The Red Hood, or the Final Fantasy Advent Children film in terms of animation, personally I would not want  to see Warframe get dragged down into the mess of "critics" and de boggles of modern cinema s-storms that have become the normal.

I'm all for this as long as Banshee is secretly the villain.

18 minutes ago, Unus said:

Uh. . . movie, I think not, but, short animated (ANIMATED, not the Japanese variety) series for character backgrounding purposes of some of our "unsung heroes"? That'd give me a ELL YEAH!

"Origin Point: Clem"

"Origin Point: Darvo"

"Origin Point: Maroo"

Basically any background that Digital would normally never be able to touch on the grounds that it wouldn't make sense for "us Tenno" to be there or it wouldn't be "action-packed" enough could find itself come together in the form of an animated series.

Meanwhile, the villains get their backgrounds to unfold in the form of the tasty background comics they've been unleashing upon us lately. Duel-medium action baby, and both having prexisting precedents already existing in the form of Hek's ghoulish transformative comic and "100 Days of Warframe".

How's THAT sound?

I'd prefer shorts or episodes (30min.) like that exactly for that reason. There is so much interesting stuff in this universe that a movie would severely limit the amount of things we can see. Shorts would let the director/devs focus on tons of different things, and flesh them out instead of having them just be soundbytes or cameos in the background

Edited by MechaTails

Your title's misleading. You should edit it.

With regards to the topic, Warframe would probably make for one of the worst films ever adapted from video game source material. 

Caveat: that's what would happen if it were made today, or within the next 5 years. But if Hollywood finally gets the video game adaptation formula right (or mostly right), then Warframe would stand a pretty good chance of being faithful to the source material while entertaining new audiences.

If you recall, films adapted from comic books were atrocious for decades with the exception of the first two Superman films and the first few Batman films. It wasn't until 1999's Blade, the Animated X-Men series, and the first live-action X-Men films that Hollywood started to understand the formula for delivering high-quality, entertaining, and faithful (to the source material) films adapted from comic books. Not to mention the technology to bring comic book characters to the screen continued to evolve as needed. I want to count 1998's The Mask of Zorro, but he's originally a pulp fiction hero and he's seen several film adaptations before the 1998 film.

Video game source material hasn't seen this kind of awakening or understanding of what makes them tick and how to deliver it on-screen.

On top of Hollywood just not "getting it" (as in video games), I think they'd need to start with less complex, less fabulously outlandish plots than Warframe's story. Games like Halo, Tomb Raider and Splinter Cell (Tom Hardy has wanted to play Sam Fisher since before he signed on to Venom) stand a far better chance of being faithfully adapted than Warframe or Metal Gear Solid. Both of the latter games are full of over-the-top backstory, conspiracies, and lore that would simply feel preposterous on film.

A great writer is half the battle (to distill the story's core down for film) while delivering the look and feel of the world is also a huge factor. I've no doubt Hollywood has the capability to deliver Warframe's visual world and style (with an insane budget, perhaps), but I don't have faith they'd find a writer who would focus on the right part of the story.

So, no. I don't hope to see a Warframe film within the next 10 years. Maybe in 10 to 15 years, once Hollywood understands the video game medium a bit more (or writers who understand it--and are great writers--rise to the top as several visionaries did for the golden era of comic book films).

I think a movie would not have the proper structure for telling the story, I highly doubt the 2-3 hour time constraints would work. A series or mini-series, on the other hand, would have a greater swath of time to properly parse out a story with. Let's take one of my favorite movies as an example of this, Prisoners of Power/The Inhabited Island. To keep true to the Strugatsky brothers' novel, the movie had to be split into two movies because despite being snipped here and there for run time, it STILL ran over 3 & a half hours. Since they already had forfeited some details keeping the run time where it is, certain parts were a little more...muddled in live action than they were in the book. Cutting it down into a 2 hour movie would have lost far too much of the story, and it simply would not have worked by any means for something that heavily detailed.

I think Warframe is in the same boat here. They need the time & plenty of it to tell the story, and a 2 hour movie just will not do it.

I would only like to see a Warframe movie if it didn't revolve around the Warframes/Tenno. Have them in the background of the story maybe but not the main focus of it, since this game is basically the main story. A movie set around the rise of the Orokin Empire would be great. We could see how the Orokin transcended their human brethren and became immortal emperors. At the end we could see the Zariman 10-0 go off into space, leading to the events of the game.

Although I would be wary of having a movie in the first place, since I and a lot of others have seen first hand how bad most movie adaptions of video games are.

I think Warframe could have a compelling movie if it was set during the old war. Something chronicling the time between the Sentient invasion up to right before the incident on the Zarimon 10-0 (so there would be no Tenno, no transference, no Warframes). Maybe having Teshin as a protagonist. 

But I can't imagine anyone actually making a decent video game movie so maybe it is best to leave it be. 

2 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Spartan Roks said:

I take your Mortal Kombat and raise it by at sh*tty sequel 

SHHH! This one shall remain buried and forgotten!

Spoiler

Although I have to admit I liked this one's soundtrack almost as much as the first.

6 hours ago, MechaTails said:

I'm all for this as long as Banshee is secretly the villain.

I'd prefer shorts or episodes (30min.) like that exactly for that reason. There is so much interesting stuff in this universe that a movie would severely limit the amount of things we can see. Shorts would let the director/devs focus on tons of different things, and flesh them out instead of having them just be soundbytes or cameos in the background

EXACTLY sir/mam, and they've proven they are already willing to branch-out and experiment with different bits of media. Ell, if folks fear potential overlap happening among the game folks and the devies, they could even contract it out if they can run it past their Chinese shadow-council.

Not expecting anything miraculous, but, certainly seen enough already come from them to say that, unlike some blue-sky ideas some folks put out there, this at least has some feasibility to it.