Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee: Present and Future goals!

[DE]Rebecca

Only thing that really annoys me is the lack of combo counter scaling and of course, what may actually happen to Blood Rush, which is kind of sad overall. I never cared for maiming strike and rarely touch my 2 forma maiming strike Atterax in the first place so I could care less for that.

Also channeled blocking that eats up energy ... I use that for mainly block imput on combos so accidentally wasting energy due to holding block button is quite ... annoying.

Another thing is that will the weapons have their status and crit chances rebalanced? Because most of the time raw damage no longer cuts it.

Im really happy that you are finally changing melee. The changes sound fun especially the one on the slam attack but there is one thing that you should add. After playing quite alot with Atlas spamming ony his landslide and still having fun with it after all this time 😁, i have realised that it is mainly because of the targeted dash to the enemy that adds alot of speed  and precision to the combat. Now after testing Valky with her hysterical assault augment wich works similar it is even clearer to me. So my suggestion is to give all melee weapon a dedicated "dash to the enemy attack" wich is performed with the alterned fire button like hysterical assault. The attack can also scale with range mods. important is that it is responsive and fast like landslide

Warframe is a farming game, and DE removed all the efficient ways to kill/farm.  

If DE truly wants us to "have fun" since spin to win "spoils the fun of the game" , why do we have to grind so much, doing the same mission countless of times.  

It is going to be mentally draining to actually "play" grindframe the way DE wants us to do it.  

This is devastating for me, as a Scoliac lover. Spin2Win is my way to enter a pub game and not worry about leechers as i can single handedly carry the game.  

DE, i see where you're going with the Ember nerf, the Banshee nerf. Since they are press 4 and afk. But this nerf is uncalled for, spin2win isn't an AFK strategy, tho it may be kinda stupid to melee enemies through walls, but that is the most efficient way to farm, and let me remind you, this is GRINDframe we are talking about.  

I think after 3 years, i'm done with Warframe. I'm utterly disappointed with these changes. It's sad because i finally manage to get Misa Prime during the recent prime vault unsealed. 

DE, if you want to change the mechanic of melee, you should first change the way your game is played. 

Goodluck losing 30% of your player base and crashing the melee riven market. 

edit: please, we have already spent thousands of plats on melee rivens, at least let us refund steam purchases for those who quits warframe. 

My initial reaction is that some of the changes will ultimately hurt melee. I could care less about spin to win. Removing it, and even removing maiming strike, would not bother me. Changing the current combo system to only affect heavy strikes is another matter. I don't imagine they will increase base damage enough to make up for losing combo damage on normal attacks. If they did, why would you spend combo points on a single heavy attack instead of maintaining crit from mods like bloodrush. Using small hits to charge up a super attack if great in fighters, like Steet Fighter, etc. because you have a single enemy. A large map area, full of 100 high level enemies, will make that single big hit a lot less useful.

I will wait and see what comes out of these changes, but I'm worried. The melee system with all it's different stances, and many different combos to learn, was what attracted me to warframe. The combo system is what made melee actually viable with higher level content.

In the dev stream, the new melee system was used on a few trash mobs on the plains.

Show us a demo of frames only using the new Melee system in a Sortie 3 Eximus survival or defense (and actually killing stuff and completing the mission), then I'll believe in these changes a little more.

Edit: I forgot to add that many combos use the block button. I would not like to see awesome combos going away, just to accommodate changes to the block button. In example, the Tempo Royale combos that use block. Also, if you make the combos across the different stances all the same, why even have different stances ? It (at least) sounds like a dumbing down of the game, but I will reserve judgement until I see more.

Thanks for the update

But I think it should be better if the combo still amps up normal melee hits. It would be ok to expend all counter on a heavy because it's a heavy (duh), but light attacks should be a bit more powerful, less than now is okay because the counter stacks way faster, like 1.25 1.5 1.75 2 etc

I use channeling all the time in stealth missions (enemy killed with channeling their body disappears)  How is this effect and things like "Life steal" going to be handled?

I think dumping your whole Combo Counter into "one" attack is soooooooooo wrong! If you do use this system, I think it would be more fair if a Heavy attack used a set amount of hits from the Combo Counter giving the player more choice of a few big hits in a row, or deal with one big guy but then still have the bonus damage from the counter to continue killing higher level enemy.

Edit: Grammer

I'm... concerned. I feel like these changes focus too heavily on making melee "fun" than still being effective in combat. Show me how effective these changes will be in the game and why I would switch to melee to have an advantage in combat over a gun.

Two Questions:

1) Since you plan us to use all the built up combo damage that we sacrificed in the multiple quick attacks into a single heavy attack, how big will it's AoE be? Is the damage done by heavy attacks scale according to EHP?

2)Since this was a broken meta, it has helped to make countless leaderboard records all over the game in survivals and ESO leaderboards. Will the leaderboards be refreshed as they will be scores that do not reflect the game at its current stage(after the update)?

Honestly, I wish they first fix the stance system first than anything and I love their stances but the stances themselves don't reward you as much as other games (my thoughts were Devil May Cry) with a stance or melee style combat system. Like why not add buffs? Or even using the combo itself gives you way more combo points. Including the heavy attacks that just drain combo counter... I wish they just made Heavy attacks just part of the stances and adds points rather than it being like... Spam light attacks then use those points to burst enemy with heavy attack... Cause honestly that is what everyone will do with Heavy attacks...

1 hour ago, XzWasPzX said:

Those of you who feel  happy with the changes... you dont play melee often, right? 😟

Yea they are the ones who get carried in every sortie mission. 

It's not their fault, we are going to join them soon. Spending roughly around 2-3 clips on one Eximus. 

So you want all damage to remain buffed by combo meter, even though melee is already quite strong and it is getting stronger across the board. You want blocking to become a damage source, and damage that not only scales but also is strong enough to clear hallways. You want DE to make a new keybind when they have a very limited number of keys to actually use, do tell what key would they use for this? Lastly, what good would aiming up or down with a melee do outside of allowing you to headshot with melee a tad bit more easily?

I have a blunt question:

If I find melee boring and unskilled now, what is going to change my mind going forwards?

Right now, I basically don't melee unless it's a low level mission I just need to finish, or I'm in a pinch and need to clear a large group. In which case it's just slide with a polearm (with or without meming strike), and go back to "skilled" combat. 

This rework sounds like this will change only by not letting me hit stuff through walls (welcome change btw). It does not, however, make me feel like melee will become more skillful or interesting. In fact, with weapons getting higher base damage and a faster combo counter, it seems like this will become even more mindlessly effective. 

So, how can you address this viewpoint? I would love it if you did. I don't want to hate melee. But honestly it's just boring to me now. No skill room clears, even at level 300+ within a few seconds is kinda just boring. Takes the fun and engagement out of my experience. If you can make it equally as powerful as primary and secondary weapons, and at least as engaging/skillful, I'd be ecstatic. 

Justo ahora, Salvatore.Lynx dijo:

It's not their fault, we are going to join them soon. Spending roughly around 2-3 clips on one Eximus. 

8Gy784V.jpg

Sometimes i hate when someone is right... 😓

5 minutes ago, Salvatore.Lynx said:

It's not their fault, we are going to join them soon. Spending roughly around 2-3 clips on one Eximus.
Probably gonna take 2 hours to complete daily sorties (provided you get a good team) if not i'd say 3 - 3.5hours?
If the team runs out of ammo and have to restart the mission. 

Too bad they want us to be in their level but they don't know our guns are just as pimped out we just don't feel like shooting stuff. Next they will complain that the other player only uses 1 bullet to kill an Eximus why they have to waste 2-3 clips on them. Inb4 they want Rivens on good weapons to be nerfed too.

7 minutes ago, Salvatore.Lynx said:

Probably gonna take 2 hours to complete daily sorties (provided you get a good team) if not i'd say 3 - 3.5hours?
If the team runs out of ammo and have to restart the mission. 

Lol nope. I am happy with some of the changes, but in a nutshell I still don't see how this makes melee more engaging, or more balanced. 

That being said, to address your comment, no, what you said is not true. A well modded say, vulkar wraith, can 1 hit LVL 200 enemies. And carrier basically nullifies ammo issues for anything. I think your issue is just pub sorties in general. As far as my experience goes (and it's a few thousand hours of experience), pub sorties are bored or lazy vets, noobs who rely on melee as a crutch, or just completely useless boobs. And the occasional person like me who forgot to swap to solo and regrets every second of it. 

I am a person who rarely uses melee, and know a few who do the same. And we also carry our teams in 100 wave defenses, many hour survivals, etc. We generally just tend to be the same kind of people who don't play pubs because it's just sad watching people fail spy vaults over and over...

I'm sorry for my bad English.

Rest in peace melee.

We will be forced to play at 30 levels, and then only the main weapon. We propose to run the alarm for 40 minutes, and raids in 4 hours.

Please don't change the combo counter! we don't need your enhanced attack when you reset the combo! I initially started playing Warframe because of the ability to use melee effectively. But the developers decided to deprive us of it.

If I can make any suggestion it's don't make heavy attacks use combo counter. Have combos use a mix of heavy and quick attacks that set off guaranteed procs and have the combo act as a sole crit multiplier. This way you don't have players ignoring heavy attacks after using them and getting bored and it gives them a better and more active use in combat over what the current system would be which is building up a large enough combo counter and never using a heavy attack cause you killed the thing you wanted to use the combo on while trying to build up the multiplier.

Just now, Kurogumihime said:

Too bad they want us to be in their level but they don't know our guns are just as pimped out we just don't feel like shooting stuff. Next they will complain that the other player only uses 1 bullet to kill an Eximus why they have to waste 2-3 clips on them. Inb4 they want Rivens on good weapons to be nerfed too.

Nooo, don't nerf rivens. If they nerf rivens I'm done... (even though I legit haven't used a riven on a weapon yet).

Archived