Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt's Speed Ability: Needs Better Opt-Out System (Troll Prevention)

Raspberry

Volt's 2 ability is quite special in that it has no casting animation, not even one-handed. This coupled with the ability to refresh its duration at will makes it a very spammable ability. That in and of itself is not a bad thing, but one serious drawback is that all allies within the buff range will be forced to receive the buff.

There already is a backflip opt-out mechanic, but nothing can prevent a Volt from continuously refreshing the duration and forcing repeated backflips if I want to stay opted out. I think that after opting out with a backflip, there should be a cooldown timer (at least 10 seconds) that grants me complete immunity from the ability for that duration. This way, Volts, be them trolls or attempted team supporters or otherwise, cannot repeatedly give teammates the ability's effects if they don't want it. I think something similar should apply to Limbo's Banish ability, although I've personally never had a Banish spam problem before. If a teammate rolls or backflips out of the Rift after having been banished into it with Limbo's 1, they cannot be re-banished back into the Rift for several seconds (although they can still enter the Rift through one of Limbo's portals or his Cataclysm regardless if the cooldown is active).

Volt's speed should work like it does now with an addition of charge mechanic that changes it to low cost channeling ability. That would please both groups - people who like him as he is now and those who like to go fast all the time. There would be no need to spam his 2nd all the time.

Edited by (PS4)Z3vrill

15 минут назад, (PS4)Z3vrill сказал:

channeling ability

Turning it into a channeling ability will work just fine.  No need for "2 modes" or whatever....  You can switch it on and off as you like.   

It will prevent energy regeneration when active tho......But that is no biggie.

There is one big addition 

It must not get dispelled by nullifier bubble. Only slowed down to normal.  So when Volt leaves the bubble, he will not need to recast and reapply unwanted buff to team again. 

I melee Nullifiers alot. And i do recast Speed pretty often because of that. 

Yes, finally previous ideas went in. Propagandizing it since page 77 of Update 18.13 Volt's Rework. Just repeat one more time, buff spreading of speed can be easily done with Trail (Nezha's) mechanics.

Edited by Cryone

51 minutes ago, Raspberry said:

Volt from continuously refreshing the duration and forcing repeated backflips

Sounds like volt will keep moving forward whereas allies will keep moving backwards. Sounds like fun lol

Volt's speed should not affect teammates in the first place. But if people really need to have their movement messed up with, there should be a way to totally prevent the "buff" from affecting those that don't want it in the first place

1 minute ago, BringMeYourAzz said:

Whats wrong with more speed?

I never thought please stop with that ability I want to run slower...

There cant be enough speeeeeed

Yeah I was surprised when I saw this ideology like 3 years ago, now I'm shook because speed is so good, even if I face-plant into a wall every once and a while because I'm a filthy controller user it makes missions much faster and bearable.

Opt out by equipping hobble keys, show those volts who's boss. 👀

Jokes aside, the pseudo-cooperative nature of Warframe continues to baffle me more and more every day.

7 hours ago, BringMeYourAzz said:

I'm actually totally fine with more speed. It's the increased melee attack speed that can really mess people up. Although I usually welcome the buff, I don't want it whenever I'm dual wielding a pistol and glaive (interferes with my charged throw).

7 hours ago, kyori said:

Sounds like volt will keep moving forward whereas allies will keep moving backwards. Sounds like fun lol

Doesn't quite work the same way whenever a speed Volt is in Defense, Interception, or Sanctuary Onslaught

I play alot of volt and genuinely think people want a boost in my squad unless they say otherwise. 

Obviously there are a few trolls, and i get that. 

I'm a proponent of learning to use speed to prevent the frustration surrounding it, but not everyone agrees with me on that. 

I've proposed a ramp up time for the speed increase of allies that doesn't change with str. But if the buff is reapplied it no longer needs to scale up. 

I like the idea of increasing speed's base duration to prevent non-trolls from feeling like we need to spam. 

Toggle ability is nice, so long as the energy drain doesn't increase from what we have (energy per second total for the 10 or 12 seconds we have rn) 

The cool down thing is also a really good idea, and if it shows up in the Volt's UI that someone opted out of it actively, non-trolls would get a hint and avoid using speed nearby. 

Lotta good ideas in this thread. Keep it going! 

8 hours ago, Synpai said:

Yeah I was surprised when I saw this ideology like 3 years ago, now I'm shook because speed is so good, even if I face-plant into a wall every once and a while because I'm a filthy controller user it makes missions much faster and bearable.

Opt out by equipping hobble keys, show those volts who's boss. 👀

Jokes aside, the pseudo-cooperative nature of Warframe continues to baffle me more and more every day.

8 hours ago, BringMeYourAzz said:

8 hours ago, BLI7Z said:

I would never be mad because of a Volt spamming his 2, nor think he is trolling. Bring forth that maximum speed forever!!

14 minutes ago, RealPandemonium said:

The absolute state of Warframe forum users, complaining that they get buffed.  Are the increased speeds interfering with your macros?

Image result for gotta go fast warframe

Of course there are other spots like, missing jumps, or misjudging distance.
This has got to bother some people.. though I can't say I've ever been legit mad about volt speed buff.. ever?
It's possible I guess.

At maximum duration it lasts 30 sec.

Perhaps we just make it so it can't be recast until it's gone, but last longer?
People are mentioning channel, but his shield pick up already does this.
On one hand this plays into the no gain while drain thing.
On the other hand, a second drain move sounds too expensive for him to sustain.
Maybe if he passively generated energy with movement, like (instead of) his dmg passive.

On 2018-05-16 at 3:04 PM, RealPandemonium said:

The absolute state of Warframe forum users, complaining that they get buffed.  Are the increased speeds interfering with your macros?

No, I wasn't using macros. I was dual wielding Glaive Prime with an already high modded attack speed. I wasn't happy to see my charged throw's "perfect timing" be thrown way off by a Volt.

Backflips are a bit... esoteric with how you do them in general, and its not actually stated anywhere that you use that to get out of the ability, so most people don't know about it. It still isn't great though since that involves opting out of all the other benefits of speed.

Speed should likely have a cap at a certain amount of power strength for allies, like 140% or so. That's enough to give a good speed/melee speed boost, but not enough to go supersonic which most players don't want. Most people only actually like the melee attack speed buff since bullet jumping is better and more controllable mobility than most versions of speed. Speed only gets better when it gets into hyperspeed territory, at which point it is simply hard to control and jarring to be thrown into when you aren't expecting it. So with a cap on ally speed, the Volt player can go as fast as they want, while all the other players get a good speed boost, but not one that shifts them into obnoxious to control territory. I tend to run my Volt with only Intensify since it gives Volt and allies a good boost while also not being obnoxious to control.

Really, anything that is open to trolling abuse is a bad mechanic. Loki being able to switch teleport players and Valkyr being able to Ripline players are two other obnoxious mechanics that shouldn't affect players. NPCs yes, but not players.