Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Word filter is abysmal

(PSN)Eluminary

sketch_1521854984038.png

Instead of good  the d was a k just a typo but good with a k is a racial slur to Vietnamese people which till this week I had never even heard of.

I had this happen Thursday... It wasn't the chat mod in the picture that did it, it was the bot.  I talked to the chat mod in the picture over psn after this happened he said he couldn't do anything I had to go through support and he would be asking about the bots codex for this channel.

The thing is I sent this to support Thursday at 9 am, zero response and still suspended now support is closed till Monday...

So has anyone had something like this happen before?  Anyone know how long support takes?

Also for reference they we were talking about Arcane Arachne value/usability

Edit:  suspension proofed on Sunday morning not sure if it just expired or they did something support. Ticket is still open atm

Edited by (PS4)Eluminary

Seriously, how do you hit 'K' instead of 'D'? I'm guessing you must have a non English standard keyboard setup on your PS4 or something... Is that even possible?

Support can take up to a week to respond, and normally by then you'll have access again.

9 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Seriously, how do you hit 'K' instead of 'D'? I'm guessing you must have a non English standard keyboard setup on your PS4 or something... Is that even possible?

Support can take up to a week to respond, and normally by then you'll have access again.

I thought the same thing the only thing I could think of was I hit the track pad of the PS4 controller wiping something off it,  it has a cursor mode if your swiping your finger across it

Just now, (PS4)Eluminary said:

I thought the same thing the only thing I could think of was I hit the track pad of the PS4 controller wiping something off it,  it has a cursor mode if your swiping your finger across it

Oh? Damn, that does not sound like fun.

Well, hopefully it's not a long suspension. Max it'll be is a week.

35 minutes ago, Firetempest said:

Would be nice if Guides of the lotus had a unban ability. Like 3 a day. for stupid bot overreactions they see.

This channel used to have no bot, i have seen a few complaints about it being there, and I've seen it booting a chat mod and a guide of the lotus (just kicks I don't think it was suspension) .  I think they referred to it as strict codex.

Edited by (PS4)Eluminary

4 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Even on KB I've hit a key no where close to the one it was suppose to be, it just happens some times.

20 minutes ago, (PS4)Tactless_Ninja said:

Does that say goat luck? That doesn't even make sense Eluminary. Goat luck doesn't make sense. Enjoy your well deserved ban. >:v

I think OP accidentally typed gook.

I have no idea what that means and I sincerely apologise if someone is offended by seeing that word.

That said, if a person can get banned for potentially typing "hook", "good", "book", "took", "look", "nook", "cook", and/or other words that have "oo" in the middle starting with "g" or ending with "k" wrongly because of one alphabet input, this word should be removed from chat bot system temporarily until at least when a context check on word ban system can be put in place.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Tactless_Ninja said:

101.gif

This is why context is important.

Sometimes offensive words are used but not in any disrespectful or offensive way.

For eg. After OP already describe the word as 

6 hours ago, (PS4)Eluminary said:

sketch_1521854984038.png

Instead of good  the d was a k just a typo but good with a k

He received a reply like this

29 minutes ago, (PS4)Tactless_Ninja said:

Does that say goat luck? That doesn't even make sense Eluminary. Goat luck doesn't make sense. Enjoy your well deserved ban. >:v

so, the only rational way forward is to actually type out the word.

Both OP's chat log and my earlier post were not meant to disrespect or even apply the word to anyone.

The word you typed is obviously a racial slur. It's the N word for asian people. So being banned for using it, and having it in the list for words that triggers the bot is understandable and as it should be. It shouldn't really be removed, any more than the other racial slurs for people of color, for jewish people, etc should.

Of course you didn't mean to type a racial slur. It's obvious from your screenshots that it's nothing but an unfortunate typo. But removing it from the auto-ban list would just open up the floodgates once the trolls find out its been removed.

The problem isn't the bot or the auto-ban, but DE's incredibly slow support. Until they decide to hire more support staff, there's not really much you can do about it, other than wait it out. Your ban will probably be lifted automatically long before support gets back to you.

Edited by rune_me

I just did a google search on the word and turns out it's a racial slur for people of southeast asia descent.

Just to share something funny.

I am Singaporean since birth.

Singapore is in Southeast Asia.

I have never heard of this word in the past 28 years of life..lol:crylaugh:

2 minutes ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

I just did a google search on the word and turns out it's a racial slur for people of southeast asia descent.

Just to share something funny.

I am Singaporean since birth.

Singapore is in Southeast Asia.

I have never heard of this word in the past 28 years of life..lol:crylaugh:

I'm no expert in the English language, but I think it's an old word from either the Vietnam or Korean War. Like a lot of these words that was mostly forgotten, the internet has brought it back to some degree. Hey, if you can use it to offend people who have different opinions than you, you can be sure it's going to be popular on the internet.

28 minutes ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

I think OP accidentally typed go**.

I have no idea what that means and I sincerely apologise if someone is offended by seeing that word.

That said, if a person can get banned for potentially typing "hook", "good", "book", "took", "look", "nook", "cook", and/or other words that have "oo" in the middle starting with "g" or ending with "k" wrongly because of one alphabet input, this word should be removed from chat bot system temporarily until at least when a context check on word ban system can be put in place.

I know tactless_ninja from the channel fairly sure he's kidding.

I'm also not advocating it be removed from the banned words list I agree racial slurs of any kind should be banned.  I wish typo mistakes had a quicker ways of being resolved through support though.

Also i edited the word here so as not to get a forum ban.  Noone should just be spouting it off here.

2 minutes ago, rune_me said:

I'm no expert in the English language, but I think it's an old word from either the Vietnam or Korean War. Like a lot of these words that was mostly forgotten, the internet has brought it back to some degree. Hey, if you can use it to offend people who have different opinions than you, you can be sure it's going to be popular on the internet.

Yeah, if it offends people then it shouldn't be used to refer to anyone.

That said, I think OP really shouldn't be banned over this at least based on his picture.

1 minute ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

Yeah, if it offends people then it shouldn't be used to refer to anyone.

That said, I think OP really shouldn't be banned over this at least based on his picture.

Yeah I agree. It was clearly a typo.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Eluminary said:

Also i edited the word here so as not to get a forum ban.  Noone should just be spouting it off here.

You probably don't have to worry about that too much.

While we should never intentionally hurt or disrespect other people with our words, it is also equally important that we educate ourselves, our peers and also our descendants that it is the context of offensive words that makes it vulgar.

As long as you do not use the word in a way that is intentionally hurting or disrespecting others, or does not cause people to think you are, there is no reason to avoid them like the plague.

I am not making light of the word though but words are words and it is really the context that matters on whether a word is offensive or not.

It is also through writing out the word that we are actually to communicate what word is being referred to and actually able to find out why it is offensive or vulgar.

Otherwise, we will all be trying to play hangman every time we try to teach our peers or kids why a certain word is wrong and should not be used, especially if it is one that has 8 or more alphabets.

• 1 month later...

Ah, this again. Well not like anything changed. DE would likely stop flooding their support lines if they worked on the bot some. I like the message delete and PM warning route. Then a final warning, then week ban.

Would be a good idea before their next giant newcomer push with venus and sacrifice hype. Support will have enough to do with ligit problems.