Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My idea to make Chroma good again.

Caliboom

So, let's admit, sadly, Chroma isn't really good right now. He's in need of a buff, there was really no reason to nerf him, there were other warframes better than him. Here's my idea to rework him.

First Ability: So, right now, his first ability is pretty much useless. The damage is low, taking a while to kill level 30 enemies, the range is small, you gotta be close to enemies to hit them, and you're slow, making you vulnerable. The ability should be changed completely. His new first ability should allow him to change elements whenever he wants at the cost of energy, so you can have whichever buff you want from the second ability, for example. That should give people a reason to use it.

Second Ability: Keep it the same as it is. As I mentioned before, because of the change to the first ability, it'll allow the user to have the buff that he wants, and not forced to only use Ice all the time for that extra armor. He can change the buff with the first ability to adapt to the situation.

Third Ability: Change it to how it was before the nerf. Seriously. Make it apply to the weapon's total damage, mods included, it's kinda bad right now. Make the armor buff apply to the total armor that you have, armor mods included. Also, don't make it apply to other users, and only to yourself. That will make the ability good like it was back then.

Fourth Ability: It's fine as it is, since the damage that the Effigy does is pretty good and can deal with high level enemies. However, in my opinion, the energy consumed over time should be reduced, it consumes too much energy right now. Also, the stun that it sometimes does should take slightly longer.

This is my idea for a Chroma rework, tell me what you guys think.

Edited by Caliboom

3 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

so basically turn him back to the solo frame that he was....which DE said that they don't want 

do you even, dude...... 

Inaros, Nidus, Loki (kind of) and Wukong are all solo frames, though. Chroma is not really good in his current state. Currently, Vex Armor's buff is small, and doesn't really make a difference. Also, it rewards you for taking damage.

Edited by Caliboom

Vex armor and Elemental Ward are fine as-is, Spectral Scream and Effigy are the main abilities in need of a facelift to make them more appealing. As for the taking-damage portion, it simply means you need to come prepared with a health management method such as Arcane Victory or Medi-Ray.

While I agree that Chroma's current powers are lacking, and DE's attempt to give him team viability somewhat confuses his position, the way you reworked him is, in my opinion, lackluster. 

1: Removing his 1 is a bit much, and replacing it with his passive is even worse. Now he has no passive. What is his passive now?
2: Vex Armour relied on 'broken math' to simplify DE's reason for nerfing him to worse-than-Rhino-ness. That isn't going to fix it.
3: The pelt actually does as much damage as his 1, it's only usefulness is to be a meatwall which can knock over and stun enemies.

I propose my solution, which at it's core preserves what Chroma has, and adds to it.

Spoiler

Chroma Revisit.

Passive: Sentient Adaptation.

While pelt is equipped, gain stacking resistances to 1 damage type and become immune to that type's proc until another damage type surpasses it.

Spectral Scream:

-Tap to scream at the enemy, causing them to be stunned and exposed to elemental damage which is multiplied from all sources.

-Hold to enter/exit Spectral Scream:

--Weapon fire key causes Chroma to exhale his currently chosen element. Has Condition Overload built into it and damage increases as long as Chroma is dealing damage via a combo counter which will degrade when damage isn't being dealt (the lifespan of this combo counter can be increased by duration mods).

--Tapping will scream again, like before. The 'stun scream' duration increases with duration and strength mods.

--Aimgliding is infinite and unaffected by gravity, but sustaining it beyond the natural duration will drain Chroma's energy to keep the wings active.

--Melee key will buffet the enemy, knocking them back, down, and ragdolling them at 10 energy per buffet.

Elemental Ward:

-Recasting while active increases range and heals Chroma if he has missing health.

-Holding will cause Chroma to swap to the next element, and his energy colour can be customized on all 4 elements, however Chroma will be self-nullified, and all energy spent will be refunded; abilities will not work for a second.

Vex Armor:

-Recasting increases the maximum buff and refreshes shields. If shields are maxed, double them; trying to re-double shields is impossible.

-If Chroma takes no damage during the time this ability was active, the energy spent on it is refunded.

Pelt:

-Hold to deploy as before.

-Chroma cannot enter Spectral Scream's weapon mode while the pelt is deployed, and will not change element until the pelt is reunited with him.

-Tap to cause it to scream. Screams from the pelt are free, but have a small cooldown. This is replaced with the 'go here' command augment.

-Using Elemental Switch will not affect Chroma himself while the Pelt is deployed; the pelt instead changes element.

-Pelt damage ramps up as it receives damage.

-Hold, or interact with pelt, to retrieve.

5 minutes ago, Caliboom said:

Currently, Vex Armor's buff is small, and doesn't really make a difference. Also, it rewards you for taking damage.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of the Gangulyst laser beams I am standing inside of as I revive all my dead teammates, barely getting so much as a scratch, before whipping around and one-shotting his Synovias. And no, my team didn't bring Shattering Impact

What DE did to the vex armor buff calculations is justified. Chroma was able to 1 shot an endgame boss which was clearly not intended. I do agree with the 1st ability rework (Since when did dragons rely on screaming over breathing?)

14 minutes ago, Caliboom said:

Inaros, Nidus, Loki (kind of) and Wukong are all solo frames, though. Chroma is not really good in his current state. Currently, Vex Armor's buff is small, and doesn't really make a difference. Also, it rewards you for taking damage.

Yet none of these could 1-shot an eidolon, which is the reason why the calculations were fixed 

I’m not expert in hunting but seeing a few people saying he can still do that, though I’m guessing it depends more on your wep now...which means this is actually a buff 

Seriously, is seeing the point of view of another and trying to adapt to change really that hard of a concept to some people? 

3 hours ago, GinKenshin said:

Yet none of these could 1-shot an eidolon, which is the reason why the calculations were fixed  

I’m not expert in hunting but seeing a few people saying he can still do that, though I’m guessing it depends more on your wep now...which means this is actually a buff 

Seriously, is seeing the point of view of another and trying to adapt to change really that hard of a concept to some people? 

Well right now Octavia, Volt, and Rhino (that I am aware of) can one-shot Eidolons along with Chroma (Mirage probably could too if light sources weren't hard to come by). The only real difference is the ease Chroma could do it then in comparison to now. I haven't heard (I haven't really been looking for) whether Ivara can start competing with the new augment on Quiver. But since it is still happening anyway the justification from "one-shotting" endgame bosses doesn't stand up great alone. Fixing the calculations that double/triple dipped was fine while making it additive was probably too heavy handed but he is still "okay" relatively speaking (though Rhino can outmatch his Vex damage with endgame modding). To which the only reason we don't speak about Banshee in the same manner is because Sonar doesn't work on Eidolons. On everything else, she was always the top damage dealer being able to reach the engine damage cap relatively easily.

That being said, just reverting Chroma's Vex is pointless. And removing Spectral Scream for his passive is also just as pointless especially when you could just add that feature on top of SS or his Wards and give him a new passive anyway.

What Chroma needs is other things that make him fun and interesting to play other than simply doing BIG NUMBERS with your guns.  His Spectral Scream and Effigy don't work well with his kit and aren't very fun or interesting to use.  His 2 can be useful, but is far less noticeable and interesting than Vex Armor.  Just in general he's a frame with one really good trick, one alright trick, and two gimmicks that nobody uses. Chroma's really only good against boss enemies, usually those with invulnerability since you need to deal a lot of damage veyr quickly which Vex is very good at.  Aside from that he's just... dull to play.  Not bad, he's quite good, he's just not very fun or engaging compared to many other frames.  Nidus  for example is rather fun to play because his kit synergies together extremely well and all of his abilities are useful.  Most warframes, by contrast, only have 1 (maybe 2) good abilities, whereas frames like Volt, Nidus, Octavia, Harrow, etc. all have abilities that are all generally useful in their own ways.

As someone who has played Chroma a lot before and after the nerf, I can honestly see why they nerfed his damage.  The problem is that they also nerfed his ehp (which wasn't really that overpowered when you consider what other tank frames can do) down to less than half of what it was before, while leaving his 1 and 4 just as useless as ever.  With Chroma Prime coming up, I'm really hoping them give him a better rework so that he isn't just a less tanky version of Rhino.  Chroma needs something to make him stand out again.

Yeah the Vex armor nerf was harsh.  He's still one of the best gunplay frames, but he's definitely far squishier than he used to be which is saddening.  Especially since armor bonsues from mods work for Iron Skin and Warding Halo, but don't work for mods which makes very little sense to me.

9 hours ago, Caliboom said:

First Ability: So, right now, his first ability is pretty much useless. The damage is low, taking a while to kill level 30 enemies,

Idk whats wrong with your build but i can have spectral scream dealing 3k per tick vs corpus and infested with the vex armor buffs active.

Imo they need most to increse the tick rate to more than one per second but the base damage potentials are good for a first ability.

Edited by (PS4)ForNoPurpose

Honestly, the spectral scream should be at least as good as the Ignis Wraith, if not more so.  Maybe make it an Exalted weapon or something, idk.  Or scrap it and place something more generally useful in it's place instead?

23 hours ago, Caliboom said:

So, let's admit, sadly, Chroma isn't really good right now. He's in need of a buff, there was really no reason to nerf him, there were other warframes better than him.

No, let's not admit what isn't true. 

He is better than really good still, specially with his team buffing capabilities.

No need of a buff. A better 4? Yes. A reworked 1? Perhaps.

At what he does? No, there weren't.

16 hours ago, (PS4)cdzbrbr said:

No, let's not admit what isn't true. 

He is better than really good still, specially with his team buffing capabilities.

At what he does? No, there weren't.

I do wish his buff radius was larger than 10m.

On 2018-07-03 at 1:44 PM, Caliboom said:

First Ability: So, right now, his first ability is pretty much useless. The damage is low, taking a while to kill level 30 enemies, the range is small, you gotta be close to enemies to hit them, and you're slow, making you vulnerable. The ability should be changed completely. His new first ability should allow him to change elements whenever he wants at the cost of energy, so you can have whichever buff you want from the second ability, for example. That should give people a reason to use it.

People have asked for this for quite some time. Doubt DE will do it since seems to dislike giving frames completely new abilities.

Third Ability: Change it to how it was before the nerf. Seriously. Make it apply to the weapon's total damage, mods included, it's kinda bad right now. Make the armor buff apply to the total armor that you have, armor mods included. Also, don't make it apply to other users, and only to yourself. That will make the ability good like it was back then

I think the damage reduction should work as it did pre-nerf but the damage should remain nerfed. Chroma is a tank so he should be on the same level of tankiness as his competition (Inaros, Rhino, Wukong) and sadly he's nowhere near that. He shouldn't, however, be one-shotting Eidolons.

Fourth Ability: It's fine as it is, since the damage that the Effigy does is pretty good and can deal with high level enemies. However, in my opinion, the energy consumed over time should be reduced, it consumes too much energy right now. Also, the stun that it sometimes does should take slightly longer.

This ability is absolutely awful. Like there is nothing "fine" about it. It drains too much energy, the stun is too infrequent for it to be a reliable CC ability, and it drastically reduces your defense on a warframe that is designed to be tanky. There are far too many negatives for this ability to be useful. 

17 hours ago, (PS4)cdzbrbr said:

You say he doesn't need a buff and then proceed to list two areas that might need a buff. Either he doesn't need a buff or he needs a better 1 and 4. Pick one.

On 2018-07-03 at 11:06 AM, Koldraxon-732 said:

While I agree that Chroma's current powers are lacking, and DE's attempt to give him team viability somewhat confuses his position, the way you reworked him is, in my opinion, lackluster. 

1: Removing his 1 is a bit much, and replacing it with his passive is even worse. Now he has no passive. What is his passive now?
2: Vex Armour relied on 'broken math' to simplify DE's reason for nerfing him to worse-than-Rhino-ness. That isn't going to fix it.
3: The pelt actually does as much damage as his 1, it's only usefulness is to be a meatwall which can knock over and stun enemies.

I propose my solution, which at it's core preserves what Chroma has, and adds to it.

Hide contents

Chroma Revisit.

Passive: Sentient Adaptation.

While pelt is equipped, gain stacking resistances to 1 damage type and become immune to that type's proc until another damage type surpasses it.

Spectral Scream:

-Tap to scream at the enemy, causing them to be stunned and exposed to elemental damage which is multiplied from all sources.

-Hold to enter/exit Spectral Scream:

--Weapon fire key causes Chroma to exhale his currently chosen element. Has Condition Overload built into it and damage increases as long as Chroma is dealing damage via a combo counter which will degrade when damage isn't being dealt (the lifespan of this combo counter can be increased by duration mods).

--Tapping will scream again, like before. The 'stun scream' duration increases with duration and strength mods.

--Aimgliding is infinite and unaffected by gravity, but sustaining it beyond the natural duration will drain Chroma's energy to keep the wings active.

--Melee key will buffet the enemy, knocking them back, down, and ragdolling them at 10 energy per buffet.

Elemental Ward:

-Recasting while active increases range and heals Chroma if he has missing health.

-Holding will cause Chroma to swap to the next element, and his energy colour can be customized on all 4 elements, however Chroma will be self-nullified, and all energy spent will be refunded; abilities will not work for a second.

Vex Armor:

-Recasting increases the maximum buff and refreshes shields. If shields are maxed, double them; trying to re-double shields is impossible.

-If Chroma takes no damage during the time this ability was active, the energy spent on it is refunded.

Pelt:

-Hold to deploy as before.

-Chroma cannot enter Spectral Scream's weapon mode while the pelt is deployed, and will not change element until the pelt is reunited with him.

-Tap to cause it to scream. Screams from the pelt are free, but have a small cooldown. This is replaced with the 'go here' command augment.

-Using Elemental Switch will not affect Chroma himself while the Pelt is deployed; the pelt instead changes element.

-Pelt damage ramps up as it receives damage.

-Hold, or interact with pelt, to retrieve.

Holy Crap, i used to main Chroma for so long, and if this became the new chroma i would play him again, this is the vest idea i have seen to fix Chroma, if DE announced only this at Tennocon i would be happy

8 minutes ago, Dukethumper said:

Holy Crap, i used to main Chroma for so long, and if this became the new chroma i would play him again, this is the vest idea i have seen to fix Chroma, if DE announced only this at Tennocon i would be happy

The way I see Chroma is that he has taken the body of a Conculyst and made it his coat. To that end, his abilities should partly reflect Sentient combat abilities, such as infinite aimgliding, but at a cost of energy due to the pelt having no Sentient source. [PH]Vlad is the inversion of this; a Warframe who has literally siphoned Sentient energy, perhaps from a Fragment of Eidolon, as to attempt to empower himself.