Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will melee 3.0 break melee?

(PSN)remo_yesman

You know what I love about Warframe in contrast to other games, Its not just a shooting gallery..

I wanna ask you guys, I dont wanna jump to conclusion,  but, I wanna ask, will melee 3.0 break melee all together? 

The directional grounds slam seems kinda ridiculous, making the combo counter irrelevant seems pretty ridiculous, an what exactly is a heavy attack, is that the same as a charge attack, If so, if your running 2 hours survials it seems like youll be dead before you can pull it off..

I hated the range nerf, I spent alot of plat an kuva to optimize my melee range builds, but it feels like theres a range cap, even with primed reach and a riven..

Is melee 3.0 for better or worse?

I know this is ridiculous, but Im kinda nervous about it, because if it turns into a shooting gallery, I may as well be playing Destiny.. Melee weapons are always a huge tlkn point when Im telling ppl about Warframe and the variety of playstyles it encompasses. .

Seems like just yesterday I was running T4 def/sur/cap/mobileD

Seems like just yesterday I was xp farming on Draco

Seems like just yesterday, I was running through corpus with synoid mirage

Seems like just yesterday I was running through Heiracon with my Tonkor

Im a melee main now, idk how I got to this point, but it will all be for the best, right?

Also, it sucks for me becaused I never abused ranged melee, ember, Trinity, Draco(well maybe Draco) Tonkor, Synoid simulor, Sayrn, Valkyrs hysteria, Gammacor, or ignis punch though.. Because its not fair to other players.. alot of the stuff that get nerfed is so powerful, why would you unless the situation or endurance run warranted it, so it sucks to go through nerfs when your doing the right thing.. And it tells me that I need to abuse these mechanics while I can..

Edited by (PS4)remo_yesman

They will be showing how far along they are with melee 3.0 in the next devstream.

I love melee gameplay as well but I am not nervous at all. I am excited to see the melee system change, alot of stances and weapon types are really bad right now. I want a reason to equip dual daggers other than fashion for example.

1 minute ago, Romlin said:

They will be showing how far along they are with melee 3.0 in the next devstream.

I love melee gameplay as well but I am not nervous at all. I am excited to see the melee system change, alot of stances and weapon types are really bad right now. I want a reason to equip dual daggers other than fashion for example.

Ya, Im just a little nervous, with over 61 days played almost 1500 hours, Ive seen alot of nerfes that directly affect my playstyle at the time.. I cant even touch the Tonkor without dying..

I personally like the range nerf because seeing YouTube videos of people using meme strike and atterax to clear things two rooms away while camping behind a wall almost made me not download the game in the first place. With the 'Avatar but a Ninja' theme I knew realism wasn't what this game was going for but the old melee was just dumb, I just hope they change the Nikana finisher animation to something more Samurai ish with the update.

19 minutes ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

I personally like the range nerf because seeing YouTube videos of people using meme strike and atterax to clear things two rooms away while camping behind a wall almost made me not download the game in the first place. With the 'Avatar but a Ninja' theme I knew realism wasn't what this game was going for but the old melee was just dumb, I just hope they change the Nikana finisher animation to something more Samurai ish with the update.

Totally understandable,  but I get why some people did it, because if your fighting level 200 corrupted, you dont want enemies near you..

Also I think youtubers are the problem, because theyre the first one to show off these mechanics and imbalances,  so naturally the community leans towards that similar loadout and playstyle..

I doubt it'll become unusable, but when it comes to reworking a system currently infamous for its completely grotesque overscaling, I would be VERY surprised if this ended up as anything OTHER than something of an overall nerf to melee scaling. But I suppose DE has surprised me with their ability to not plan things out or calculate the effects of their own changes/systems before....

It'll be like every other major change that's occurred. People will run in circles with anguish that X is now broken or that Y cant do its thing anymore and then most will move on and adapt to how things will be and those that cant will turn up on here and wail about it.

We'll have to see in the Devstream tomorrow, obviously I doubt what they will show will necessarily be final and there will be more changes to come based on our feedback. I am also a bit concerned about melee combo counter and especially about channeling mods and how they will work after the change, I am a player that uses Life Strike on literally every single melee weapon that I use, it's the first mod I drop in and I'm concerned about what will be our healing options if that gets taken out and whether or not they will be reliable and consistent. I don't wanna run around with over 9000 healing pads on me every mission if I decide to run around in melee.

Passive's like the Hirudo one where you get healed for 5% dmg every time it crits, I feel like stuff similar to that could be added to all melee weapons if Life Strike gets taken out, maybe for status weapons would be every time you get a status proc and so on.

Edited by TheRealShade

Personally I'm excited. From what we already know, and have seen this seems like a step in the right direction. Will there be tweaks before we see it? Certainly. After it's released? If need be, of course. Melee, for me anyway, needs some flavor, and everything that's been discussed sounds like what I'm looking for.

1 hour ago, ChaosSabre said:

Probably. The main reason this is happening is coz people just build CO and Blood Rush build on everything.

And the main reason for that is, that you're stupid if you don't.
DE gave us those mods. You think they didn't expect we'd use them?

13 hours ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

I personally like the range nerf because seeing YouTube videos of people using meme strike and atterax to clear things two rooms away while camping behind a wall almost made me not download the game in the first place.

:facepalm: DE, this is why you don't use fake vids to push a change.

NOT ONCE in 2,600+ hours have I ever seen anyone do that on purpose. That gif was blatantly staged to cause a reaction. The biggest problem I have with their proposed changes is that it does nothing to Maiming Strike but make it more desirable, while claiming to be based around people complaining about Maiming Strike. The complaints people have about it are the same bandwagon jumping statements that got us to this point in the first place. Hilariously, people seem to be under the impression that Maiming Strike apparently grants 30m of range in addition to crit chance on slide. One of the most common things I see in region chat is people asking "Why isn't my Atterax working like those YT videos?" "How do I get it to kill faster?" "What's the Atterax build?"

Primed Pressure Point and Primed Reach. Maiming Strike, Blood Rush and Weeping Wounds. Drifting Contact, Berserker and Organ Shatter.

Two Primed Mods, that you have to wait for Baro to bring. Three Acolyte mods, when the Acolytes almost never show up. A Nightmare mod, and a Void mod. Only ONE is farmable through normal play.

When new players find this out, they get salty, and they complain. Thing is, their complaints only show that they have no clue what they're talking about, which is why they asked the question in the first place. Maiming Strike doesn't increase your range, preserve your combo meter, increase your attack speed, or increase your status chance. And the Atterax isn't even the true offender. Scoliac Rivens with +Attack Speed, +Range and +Combo Timer are.

If you see those stats and think, "But that doesn't increase damage." you are one of those people who has no clue how the melee mechanics work. A twenty to thirty second long combo decay means you will almost never lose your combo through a mission. It will only continue to stack, and increase your speed and damage further. The range and base attack speed bonuses are to hit more enemies in less time and run it up even further.

The interaction between Blood Rush and Maiming only adds to this, but instead of fixing the interaction, the initial list of proposed changes went after everything BUT Maiming Strike. Combo bonuses only applying to a single heavy attack and burning your whole combo is a nerf to Blood Rush, but Maiming would still stack that 90% in. Adding channeling to blocking would make aim-gliding cost energy, and make blocking cost energy in addition to health, since nothing stops 100% of incoming damage, while also drastically increasing the drain of Life Strike, but it wouldn't do anything to Maiming. The increase in base damage, in conjunction with the nerf to Blood Rush, would only push people towards builds with four elemental mods, and Maiming strike. A Guandao with 5k base damage, dual combined elements and Maiming + Organ Shatter. COMPLETELY DEFEATS THE INTENDED GOAL. Especially since you would need to run up a combo, just to burn that combo on one attack to even come close to the damage you could do off a single slide attack.

The fix is simple. Every percentage point of increase in crit that Blood Rush gives should be subtracted from Maiming's bonus, until it overrides it completely. Maiming's only function at higher levels, and I mean well over lv200, is to get Berserker going, to feed into the combo loop. It would still have that function without multiplying into Blood Rush to such a ridiculous extent.

The thing that I'm worried about, as someone who actually loves combos on stances like Final Harbinger, Tempo Royale and Defiled Snapdragon, is losing those combos and the functionality of those weapons against higher level enemies in exchange for a weaker, watered down, generic version of melee, because changes that don't even affect the "problem" they were created to "fix" to get added. Simply to appease people who don't even know what's going on in the first place. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised during the stream tomorrow, but with Fortuna coming and their past track record, the chances of their initial plans for melee getting enough of an overhaul don't seem too high.

I don't think it will break melee at all but it will probably require some re-learning.

About peoples worry on Life Strike, I wouldn't be surprised if they change it from a channeling mod to a heavy attack mod. If they do that it would still be an on demand heal, but you would have to think twice before using since that would deplete your combo counter (if they go through with that change).

As with Melee 2.0 it won't break Melee it'll likely be transformed into a whole new mechanic that all players will have to get used to. If its anything like the last Change then we will spend about a Month getting used to and then we will have a new Melee Meta. It depends quiet a bit on how Blood Rush/Weeping Wound and Maiming Strike will perform under Melee 3.0 also the New Heavy Attacks can be a deciding factor if they are to weak no one will use them, if they are to strong we will only build for them...

En 2/8/2018 a las 7:15, (PS4)remo_yesman dijo:

You know what I love about Warframe in contrast to other games, Its not just a shooting gallery..

I wanna ask you guys, I dont wanna jump to conclusion,  but, I wanna ask, will melee 3.0 break melee all together? 

The directional grounds slam seems kinda ridiculous, making the combo counter irrelevant seems pretty ridiculous, an what exactly is a heavy attack, is that the same as a charge attack, If so, if your running 2 hours survials it seems like youll be dead before you can pull it off..

I hated the range nerf, I spent alot of plat an kuva to optimize my melee range builds, but it feels like theres a range cap, even with primed reach and a riven..

Is melee 3.0 for better or worse?

I know this is ridiculous, but Im kinda nervous about it, because if it turns into a shooting gallery, I may as well be playing Destiny.. Melee weapons are always a huge tlkn point when Im telling ppl about Warframe and the variety of playstyles it encompasses. .

Seems like just yesterday I was running T4 def/sur/cap/mobileD

Seems like just yesterday I was xp farming on Draco

Seems like just yesterday, I was running through corpus with synoid mirage

Seems like just yesterday I was running through Heiracon with my Tonkor

Im a melee main now, idk how I got to this point, but it will all be for the best, right?

Also, it sucks for me becaused I never abused ranged melee, ember, Trinity, Draco(well maybe Draco) Tonkor, Synoid simulor, Sayrn, Valkyrs hysteria, Gammacor, or ignis punch though.. Because its not fair to other players.. alot of the stuff that get nerfed is so powerful, why would you unless the situation or endurance run warranted it, so it sucks to go through nerfs when your doing the right thing.. And it tells me that I need to abuse these mechanics while I can..

How useless is to give feedback before the change is implemented?

Like, seriously. You're asking the opinion of the community, on the feedback section, for a change that has not been implemented yet. Just delete this or move it to the proper section of the forums.

Edited by -CM-NineFingers

On 2018-08-03 at 2:38 AM, -CM-NineFingers said:

How useless is to give feedback before the change is implemented?

Like, seriously. You're asking the opinion of the community, on the feedback section, for a change that has not been implemented yet. Just delete this or move it to the proper section of the forums.

Well if it was implemented already, wed already know.., i just wanna hear ppls speculation while Im dying to knw the future of melee

On 2018-08-01 at 11:01 PM, Almagnus1 said:

Yes, it will probably break all of our builds.

Then we'll flame DE and QQ about it.

Then we'll adapt and carry on and wonder what all the fuss was about.

^ this man read my mind ^

truly the hot-fix is the most op of melee weapons