Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Excalibur Umbra going to be the only Umbral frame?

RS219

If there will be more it's going to shakeup the meta. It's obvious that Umbral frames are the superior choice because of their Umbral polarities and ability to function as spectres. Primed frames will be left behind in the dust and +250 energy on touching a death orb hardly compares. Prime accesses won't be so hot. People would rather eyeball Umbra access or somesuch.

So yes, is Excalibur Umbra going to be the only one of his kind? I'd like to know if anyone heard any official comment from DE's side.

Edited by RS219

It would bee interesting that his son is not dead but he become umbra frame...you like his father just trying to remember what type of warrior he whose. And then this is how you choose is h become frost umbra or maybe ash umbra frame....and then maybe we can have some minigame when you playe like some evil umbra against your soldiers dax and create them to become next umbra frame. Like on some stealth captura missions in some old war memory.

Edited by Vlada91

2 minutes ago, Voltage said:

Digital Extremes has expressed that "Umbra" is a variant of Warframe with Excalibur being the first.

2 minutes ago, Eisdschungel said:

I hope so. As far as i know, DE said Umbras will be limited and did neither confirm nor deny additional Umbras

Well uh-oh guys. Prime accesses and Primed warframes aren't looking so hot right now.

1 minute ago, Vlada91 said:

It would bee interesting that his son is not dead but he become umbra frame...you like his father just trying to remember what type of warrior he whose. And then this is how you choose is h become frost umbra or maybe ash umbra frame....and then maybe we can have some minigame when you playe like some bounty hunter against your soldiers and create them to become next umbra frame. Like on some stealth captura missions.

Nnnnnno, Isaah is supposed to be fully dead, not nearly-dead othewise it defeats Ballas' point of showing Umbra what the loss of a loved one (Margulis) felt like. And he was a low rank Dax with no particular special skill, there's no clue as to what warframe he could have even made since "volunteers" were masters in one thing or another. Ash's base template would have been a high rank assassin. Dunno about Frost.

4 minutes ago, RS219 said:

Nnnnnno, Isaah is supposed to be fully dead, not nearly-dead othewise it defeats Ballas' point of showing Umbra what the loss of a loved one (Margulis) felt like. And he was a low rank Dax with no particular special skill, there's no clue as to what warframe he could have even made since "volunteers" were masters in one thing or another. Ash's base template would have been a high rank assassin. Dunno about Frost.

Who's to say helminth can't do with a corpse tho?

Also, this is warframe. The different aesthetic of prime and umbra would be enoigh for people to switch imo.

Being a spectre is not always an upgrade too. And given how mods with umbral polarities are so few, it kinda has a minus to it being powerful : you can't really change a lot in modding.

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Voltage:

Digital Extremes has expressed that "Umbra" is a variant of Warframe with Excalibur being the first.

Well that would also be true without further Umbras. But this info seems to be from One of the announcements i missed, do you remember the source by any Chance?

Edited by Eisdschungel

5 minutes ago, Eisdschungel said:

Well that would also be true without further Umbras. But this info seems to be from One of the announcements i missed, do you remember the source by any Chance?

It was one of the devstreams before the sacrifice dropped. I don't know which specifically but i do remember them saing it cause they used mag umbra as an example and i'm all yes for that.

12 minutes ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

Who's to say helminth can't do with a corpse tho?

Also, this is warframe. The different aesthetic of prime and umbra would be enoigh for people to switch imo.

Being a spectre is not always an upgrade too. And given how mods with umbral polarities are so few, it kinda has a minus to it being powerful : you can't really change a lot in modding.

Isaah didn't seem to have any unique discerning skill that made him a worthy candidate to Warframe. He'd make a poor candidate/"Volunteer" and probably a highly generic "foot soldier" type warframe with no special ability. Umbra at least was a general and from the looks of it a skilled swordsman.

Nothing stopping DE from releasing more Umbral mods in the future, like Umbral Redirection.

46 minutes ago, RS219 said:

Prime accesses won't be so hot.

Have to disagree.

Most people dont farm or buy primed frames cause they are stronger, its because they are good looking and rare.

Even if umbra ends up being stronger and better looking, i am sure that people would still feel like they need the primed version just for the fact that they could lose them.

I fully believe Prime passives will get a buff as more Umbra's are released. But I also feel we are far rrom done with the deep ends of the void. Even if any/all Prime passive buffs are restricted to the void, the void likely will be back as endgame mechanic eventually. 

I really hope Harrow Prime gets a mini quest to continue the man in the wall, as Harrow is guardian of the void, I Imagine Harrow Prime on the other sid within the existing void plain fighting void demons...

edit: there is no conclusive reason to believe the originals will be Umbras.

Wukong & Nezha are high candidates all coming from China frame including the Umbra Excalibur to begin with. They have no weapon release or backstory. 

Being that nothing tethers any warframe to getting a Umbra version & will not release like Primes, there also could be a stand alone Umbra Warframe with no 'normal' version.... which could alternative get a Prime.. maybe it retains void powers that Tenno could not duplicate..

Many thing DE have said about it were just ideas. The only reason Ifeel the community wants the original, is because their Primes fashion is hardly different from their normal counterpart. Unfortunately I dont believe DE will soley choose them to fulfill our fashion dreams.  Many of them have extensive backstory in text, thats all you need if its lore reasons.

Edited by (XB1)Evilpricetag

3 hours ago, Eisdschungel said:

I hope so. As far as i know, DE said Umbras will be limited and did neither confirm nor deny additional Umbras

There was only one exclusive prime frame, so chances are there will only ever be one umbra. Of course it all because of the lore reasons.

my theory is that the orignal 8 will be the only frames to be umbra'ed for two reasons; because they are the original 8 and because all of their primed versions are currently vaulted.

this list of what i believe to be the umbra release order is based on the original 8's primed release dates.

• Excalibur
  • Mag
  • Ember
  • Rhino
  • Loki
  • Volt
  • Ash
  • Trinity

this list ensures that each of the original 8's umbra versions are still fresh even though they already have primed versions. for example, we would probably have even more warframes and primed warframes when Umbra Trinity is created, making her introduction more welcoming even though her primed version is still fairly new today.

There will probably be more than excal, but only a few frames. Either the first 8 (which someone listed above) or only a select few from the 8 that would actually benefit from the umbra mods.

OR OR they'll umbra the first 8 warframes and add more umbra mods other than intensify, because umbral vitality and fiber aren't very useful on some of the 8 original (fiber would suck on volt, trin,mag, loki, and ember). Possibly an umbral stretch or umbral continuity or umbral streamline to slot in besides the 2 survivability mods. Otherwise the current umbral mods would fit terribly with more than half the original 8 frames.